Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Lombardi] Deon Cain's injury might be season-ending

stitches

9 hours ago, Shive said:

He may have been a 6th round pick, but he showed in camp why he was said by most to have 2nd round talent. The one weed issue early in his college career (no big deal) and his production falling off when Watson left are what caused him to fall so far. He may have gone in the 6th, but he could have given us potentially 2nd round production and that's a sizable loss. I honestly think if he played like he did in camp that he would be WR2 by the end of the season. Hopefully he recovers well and is ready to go for next season. Luckily it happened early, so he'll have plenty of time to recover before camp next year.

This much i can agree on, but injuries are going to happen no matter what IMO, all i was saying is that its easier on the team when a 6th round pick goes down for the season instead of a player already penciled in the starting lineup...like a Hilton, Luck or Kelly

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Makes one wonder why so many teams put their starting QBs in this first preseason game. It only takes one and you're done.

Because they need the reps against a defense that isn't in protection mode.

They have to have that to be ready for the regular season. Every game counts.

Belichick…...strikes again!!!!  Now we all know that Belicheck had paid off Randy Moss to put something in Deon's drink when they were working out together that had a time elapsed delayed release and made Deon wobblily therefore resulting in him taking a bad step thus blowing out his ACL!!!!

"This is an outrage, and needs to be properly looked into with a fervent investigation from the league!!!'  I tell ya....  "F the Patriots, they are STILL up to no good."

5 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This injury isn't good. Of course it's Bad news but he is a 6th Round pick that has never played a Regular Season game. It's not like we lost TY Hilton. I think it is something we can overcome :thmup:

It's something we will overcome but, as a rebuilding team we need depth

• Like 1

Anytime we lose a draft pic even at #6, Yes it's not a proven spot at wide out but remember we are counting own our draft pics to step it up since we are holding back in FA and hoping to fill the voids through the draft for the future, so every set back is not the best scenario for our team. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 6:21 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, normally I don't like injuries a lot unless it's a player I hate (Vick or Kaepernick), but Guice getting his ACL tear probably gives us a win week 2. I know it's horrible to think that way, but we aren't guaranteed any wins the way the starting defense played in our first preseason game. 

What an ignorant statement. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 4:03 PM, Narcosys said:

Serious disappointment, was expecting big things from him. It's a shame, he'll likely never play much again.

Wait!    What?!?

”Likely never play much again”....???

Where did you pull that from?   Why would you think this?

If it helps,  I heard Ballard on the radio today...    said he’s confident Cain will be 100 percent fine next year.    No worries at all.

On 8/11/2018 at 4:21 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, normally I don't like injuries a lot unless it's a player I hate (Vick or Kaepernick), but Guice getting his ACL tear probably gives us a win week 2. I know it's horrible to think that way, but we aren't guaranteed any wins the way the starting defense played in our first preseason game. 

Not sure you realize the starting defense played all of 20-30 snaps.

That’s it.

It’s only the first game of the PRE-SEASON!!

Please try a little harder before announcing like Henny Penny that the sky is falling!    Please stop with the “we’re not aren’t guaranteed any wins with the way our defense played.”

I’ve got news for you...   we wouldn’t be guaranteed anything even if we had shutout Russell Wilson.

Please try not to read too much into so little.    Just take a deep breath and try not to over react.    Things are never as bad as they seem nor are they as good as you think.

Enjoy the pre-season.   See what we do.  Give the Colts a chance before you predict how good or bad we’re going to be.

Please?!? 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure you realize the starting defense played all of 20-30 snaps.

That’s it.

It’s only the first game of the PRE-SEASON!!

Please try a little harder before announcing like Henny Penny that the sky is falling!    Please stop with the “we’re not aren’t guaranteed any wins with the way our defense played.”

I’ve got news for you...   we wouldn’t be guaranteed anything even if we had shutout Russell Wilson.

Please try not to read too much into so little.    Just take a deep breath and try not to over react.    Things are never as bad as they seem nor are they as good as you think.

Enjoy the pre-season.   See what we do.  Give the Colts a chance before you predict how good or bad we’re going to be.

Please?!? 

I realize how long the starting defense played. However, that's where we got dominated most. The 2nd and 3rd string players played well, but they don't start against the other teams' 2nd and 3rd stringers during the regular season. We were outmatched not only by Wilson, but a backup QB as well against our starting defense. If that was a regular game, we probably lose by double digit points. Part of it may of been because Turay and Lewis were out, but we have to pick it up. That was a poor display by a starting defense with only a few exceptions (Leonard, Skai, and Hairston).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I realize how long the starting defense played. However, that's where we got dominated most. The 2nd and 3rd string players played well, but they don't start against the other teams' 2nd and 3rd stringers during the regular season. We were outmatched not only by Wilson, but a backup QB as well against our starting defense. If that was a regular game, we probably lose by double digit points. Part of it may of been because Turay and Lewis were out, but we have to pick it up. That was a poor display by a starting defense with only a few exceptions (Leonard, Skai, and Hairston).

Again.....

It’s the preseason.    The sample size is tiny.    Things aren’t supposed to be great in the preseason.   Especially for a young team like ours learning a new system.

We might look like crap for the first month of the regular season.   That doesn’t mean we won’t be better in October.   And even better in November and December.   Young teams get better.    What we are at any given moment in time doesn’t mean we will always be that way.

You’re making big picture observations based on a very small sample size.   Odds are high you’ll be wrong when all is said and done.

It’s way too early to be a Negative Nick.

Just some food for thought.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wait!    What?!?

”Likely never play much again”....???

Where did you pull that from?   Why would you think this?

If it helps,  I heard Ballard on the radio today...    said he’s confident Cain will be 100 percent fine next year.    No worries at all.

Once you tear your acl, its a crap shoot as to whether you'll be able to play again or not. Sure he'll be 100%, but he is much more susceptible to re-injuring it. He won't be the same.

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again.....

It’s the preseason.    The sample size is tiny.    Things aren’t supposed to be great in the preseason.   Especially for a young team like ours learning a new system.

We might look like crap for the first month of the regular season.   That doesn’t mean we won’t be better in October.   And even better in November and December.   Young teams get better.    What we are at any given moment in time doesn’t mean we will always be that way.

You’re making big picture observations based on a very small sample size.   Odds are high you’ll be wrong when all is said and done.

It’s way too early to be a Negative Nick.

Just some food for thought.

"Negative Nick" :lol:. You come up with the greatest stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2018 at 5:41 PM, Nesjan3 said:

This much i can agree on, but injuries are going to happen no matter what IMO, all i was saying is that its easier on the team when a 6th round pick goes down for the season instead of a player already penciled in the starting lineup...like a Hilton, Luck or Kelly

i concur

On 8/11/2018 at 7:21 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

The Colts defense gave up the least passing yards and allowed the 2nd least number of yards in the NFL last week. We had the 2nd best defense in the league, week 1.

18 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

The Colts defense gave up the least passing yards and allowed the 2nd least number of yards in the NFL last week. We had the 2nd best defense in the league, week 1.

The 2nd and 3rd string defense may of, the 1st string got destroyed. I could care less about the 2nd and 3rd string. They aren't playing the other team's 2nd and 3rd string players during the regular season. 

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The 2nd and 3rd string defense may of, the 1st string got destroyed. I could care less about the 2nd and 3rd string. They aren't playing the other team's 2nd and 3rd string players during the regular season. 

Destroyed is an overreaction, the snap by snap breakdown by Stampede was a fair assessment of the 1st string IMO.

8 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Destroyed is an overreaction, the snap by snap breakdown by Stampede was a fair assessment of the 1st string IMO.

I watched the game. Russell Wilson moved the ball at will on our 1st string. Then they took out their starters, and their 2nd string players and their backup QB moved the ball at will on our 1st string. The only positive by the starters was the Hairston INT, and it wasn't even on Russell Wilson. You can try to minimize the damage with whatever example you can think of, but the stats speak for themselves. The 1st string was completely outmatched, and the 2nd and 3rd string aren't starting during the regular season like the preseason.

We had some starters out like Turay and Lewis, and Hooker and Geathers are coming back in game 3 of the preseason, but all are question marks right now either due to inexperience or injury-related problems. It's definitely worrisome to see 3 drives against the 1st string defense, and have the offense move the ball on all 3 (1 being an interception in the end zone, but they still drove it down that far with a backup QB), and two of those being a 2nd string offense. Not a overreaction, it has happened since Manning has come to the team and I've been a fan. I want a great defense for once!

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I watched the game. Russell Wilson moved the ball at will on our 1st string. Then they took out their starters, and their 2nd string players and their backup QB moved the ball at will on our 1st string. The only positive by the starters was the Hairston INT, and it wasn't even on Russell Wilson. You can try to minimize the damage with whatever example you can think of, but the stats speak for themselves. The 1st string was completely outmatched, and the 2nd and 3rd string aren't starting during the regular season like the preseason.

We had some starters out like Turay and Lewis, and Hooker and Geathers are coming back in game 3 of the preseason, but all are question marks right now either due to inexperience or injury-related problems. It's definitely worrisome to see 3 drives against the 1st string defense, and have the offense move the ball on all 3 (1 being an interception in the end zone, but they still drove it down that far with a backup QB), and two of those being a 2nd string offense. Not a overreaction, it has happened since Manning has come to the team and I've been a fan. I want a great defense for once!

1) It’s preseason, patience.

2) I watched the game too.

3) I’m not minimising any damage, I just think you’re overreacting to a small sample size, you have a a history of reactionary posting.

4) If you’re going to dismiss the SB breakdown then offer an alternate analysis that’s to the same granualar level. You’re not offering anaylsis in your post above. At least read it, it’s a decent article.

5) Relax.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 9:54 AM, threeflight said:

I believe you absolutely have to get Dez Bryant in here now.

It's good for everyone.  He wants a one year contract.  The Colts would not want to give him more than a one year contract. 

He wants to be on a team with a good qb and offense.  The Colts have that.

It's a win win for everyone.

what-no.gif

Goes against everything Ballard has said. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

1) It’s preseason, patience.

2) I watched the game too.

3) I’m not minimising any damage, I just think you’re overreacting to a small sample size, you have a a history of reactionary posting.

4) If you’re going to dismiss the SB breakdown then offer an alternate analysis that’s to the same granualar level. You’re not offering anaylsis in your post above. At least read it, it’s a decent article.

5) Relax.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030947

There's the box score. Look at Seattle's passing. Nearly all that damage was done to the 1st string. Russell Wilson 4/5 43 yds and a TD in one drive. Austin Davis 4/5 51 yds with the INT, but he was able to drive the ball down to the end zone Vs the ones. Alex McGough went 10/13 for 48 yards, and there was a FG score Vs the 1st string in there. 

The 2nd and 3rd string defense were nearly perfect, but unfortunately they can't hang with a starting lineup. We need our starters to step up, and we need guys like Hooker, Geathers, Turay, and Lewis to shine when they start playing. I care about the stats and numbers, they tell the story. A play by play breakdown is just an excuse to limit the damage in this case to hide how the 1st string literally gave away all the damage. The 2nd and 3rd string was brilliant.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's the box score. Look at Seattle's passing. Nearly all that damage was done to the 1st string. Russell Wilson 4/5 43 yds and a TD in one drive. Austin Davis 4/5 51 yds with the INT, but he was able to drive the ball down to the end zone Vs the ones. Alex McGough went 10/13 for 48 yards, and there was a FG score Vs the 1st string in there. 

The 2nd and 3rd string defense were nearly perfect, but unfortunately they can't hang with a starting lineup. We need our starters to step up, and we need guys like Hooker, Geathers, Turay, and Lewis to shine when they start playing. I care about the stats and numbers, they tell the story. A play by play breakdown is just an excuse to limit the damage in this case to hide how the 1st string literally gave away all the damage. The 2nd and 3rd string was brilliant.

I should not jump in here and I don't know why I am but:

You do realize what it means when a team does not develop a game plan don't you?

And come on, stats and numbers tell the story but a play by play breakdown is inaccurate?  Either you are being difficult on purpose or you really have no idea about that little thing called reality.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So the team had no game plan going in and just winged it? 

Yes, teams do not gameplan against the opponent for the preseason.  They go in with the plays they want to run.

I don't know about the Colts but some teams don't even make calls based on down and distance in the preseason games... they just want to see how the players apply what they have learned in practice.

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I should not jump in here and I don't know why I am but:

You do realize what it means when a team does not develop a game plan don't you?

And come on, stats and numbers tell the story but a play by play breakdown is inaccurate?  Either you are being difficult on purpose or you really have no idea about that little thing called reality.

There's no need for a play by play breakdown. Everyone watched the game, everyone knows the 1st string gave up plenty up yards, receptions, and points to the Seahawks 1st and 2nd string players. The Colts 2nd and 3rd string did very well. It doesn't take a play by play to see this. The breakdown is just being used to try and find positives when we got torn apart by both the pass and run game.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, teams do not gameplan against the opponent for the preseason.  They go in with the plays they want to run.

I don't know about the Colts but some teams don't even make calls based on down and distance in the preseason games... they just want to see how the players apply what they have learned in practice.

Well I didn't know that, that's not common sense. Anyone who doesn't know that would think the coach would gameplan for the preseason like a regular game.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's no need for a play by play breakdown. Everyone watched the game, everyone knows the 1st string gave up plenty up yards, receptions, and points to the Seahawks 1st and 2nd string players. The Colts 2nd and 3rd string did very well. It doesn't take a play by play to see this. The breakdown is just being used to try and find positives when we got torn apart by both the pass and run game.

See this is why I knew I should not have gotten involved in this thread.

1.  Most fans watch the game, it doesn't mean they know what they are seeing.

2.  Even if a fan knows what they are seeing, a fan can't watch all the players at once and determine what they are doing.  To do a play by play break you have to watch the play several times from multiple angles... did you do that while watching the TV broadcast.

3.  Stats and numbers in the preseason mean next to nothing to the coaches.

Well I didn't know that, that's not common sense. Anyone who doesn't know that would think the coach would gameplan for the preseason like a regular game

It is common sense, it would be ridiculous for coaches to waste precious training camp time watching film and game planning for a preseason game.

Typically, most teams, will develop a basic game plan for the 3rd preseason game because that is the one that is to prepare the team for the regular season.  But that is it.

The point of preseason, for the starters and primary backups, is not to win the game.  It's to see if players make the right adjustments to how the opposing team lines up, it's to make sure that for whatever the play call is they start at the right point, they use the proper techniques when transitioning from one point to the next and they end up in the correct spot with the correct form.  There are so many things for a coach to evaluate after a preseason game, one of the last things they look at is how many yards they gained or gave up.  I can almost guarantee they do not pay any attention to the opposing QBs completion percentage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The defense gave up 108 yards passing all night. Total defense was 195 yards all night. Try to explain to me how that is getting destroyed.  I'll take that every Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well I didn't know that, that's not common sense. Anyone who doesn't know that would think the coach would gameplan for the preseason like a regular game.

I think this speaks volumes if you were unaware of this.

Also, I’m a stats guy ok, I make numbers do all sorts of fun things in my day job so I’m well aware of their fallacy without context. A play by play break down gives you some context. To dismiss it as an inferior piece of intelligence is nonsensical. No one, no one I repeat, can pick up all the nuances of a play watching live. 

Again.. I suggest you chill out a bit, a don’t put forward an absolute position, especially when you’re not fully informed. You can say the same thing in many ways, but how you say it makes a big difference.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

And how many defensive starters did not play in this game? 

Sorry JC, you are over reacting big time.  Pre-season games means exactly zero. The coaches are not worried about the box score of the other team. They are looking at the bubble players so when cut times come they know who to keep and who to let walk.

Even when we had a great team with Manning we very rarely won a pre-season game.