Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after a Half

TheMarine

1) Luck is luck is Luck is luck. TBH he looked great. And, that smile after taking the hit on the broken play? Thats done, he bounced back. He had a *edited* eating grin from ear to ear. His velocity was amazing on some throws, especially that one which fell incomplete thanks to an above average play by the CB to TY to end his last series. That same throw is going to be complete more often than not.

2) In spots the line looked great, and then pressure from the LT position with Castanzo out. I thought Q looked amazing when pulling, short setting, and run blocking. Will have issues when against a speed rush and has to kick-set a bit
3) Defense has issues, but some of it is youth IMO. For example, outside contain was a huge issue especially on that first drive. I think this was NFL speed catching up to some inexperience.

4) Dont look at the secondary until Hooker and Geathers are back. Just dont.

5) Not sure where the pass rush is going to come from. Some of it was Wilson being Wilson, but lets be real the Seagulls aren't know over the last few years for their O-line prowess.

6) Luck could step up on throws... Yeah thats a new one.

• Like 3

I’d just like to see the team get better every week of pre-season.

Then, once the regular season starts, I’d like to see the team get better every month.

By December I hope we’re a team that few, if any, opponents want to face.

I hope by the end if the year we’re a team that other teams think is going to be a lot better come 2019.

Just keep getting better...   just keep getting better...  the wins will come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on overall game

The good:

1) Overall QB play. Great to see Luck back at there. Velocity looked good. Brissett looked more comfortable too.  Confidence booster for Walker.

2) Nice INT by CB Nate Hairston. 

3) Nelson looked good. 

4) LB Skai Moore in coverage. LB Leonard looked solid. 

5) Adam Vinitieri is still kicking.

6) DT Hassan Ridgeway. Looked the most improved so far. 

7) RB Jordan Wilkins looks smooth with the ball. 

The bad:

1) Hines and Cain were a disappointment. Played too tight.

2) Defensive line the first two drives.

3) CB DJ Moore scares me as one of our starting corners. 

4) RB Marlon Mack getting hurt (Dont think it’s serious though). 

• Like 1

Good:

-Luck was sharp and looked like Luck.

-Mack looked very good in limited snaps.

-Skai Moore looked solid in coverage and Leonard was flying to the ball

-Wilkins looked solid late in the game

-Ridgeway and the pass rush started to get home more and more as the game progressed.

-Hairston played well overall and should be getting more looks in the starting unit.

-Hunt making plays in the backfield and causing tackles for loss.

Bad:

-We desperately need another wr or te besides T.Y. to step up. Ryan Grant is just a guy. He is not a playmaker and should not be starting. Ebron wasn’t involved but if he or Cain don’t step up, T.Y. will be looking at bracket coverage and doubles all season. 

-Deon Cain was invisible before leaving with injury.

-Quincy Wilson looked horrible giving up huge cushions and lots of space.

-Kenny Moore does not look like a starting caliber corner and size is an issue.

-Dline got no pressure against the Seahawks starting unit and Russell Wilson was never uncomfortable. 

-Playing soft zone with no pass rush is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully tray can give us something when he returns. 

-Webb and Howard at tackles will get our qbs hurt.

-Hines showed nothing imo. On special teams he was screwing up constantly and he was a nonfactor on offense. 

• Like 1

I liked most of what I saw and I think this is a team headed in the right direction just from some of the highlights I've watched. Love the way the offense was run. Defense missing a few pieces but they made plays with what they had. I think the offense is going to put up points.

• Like 2

1.  Andrew Luck is back.  Rusty Andrew is better than a lot of QBs in the NFL.

2.  The line looked a lot better especially running and on screen passes.

3.  TY is still good.

4.  Our kickers are rock solid.

5.  Mack and Turbin made a nice two headed monster very few negative running plays from them.  

6.  I loved the shorter passes.

7.  Colts looked more disciplined.  One pentaly from the starting unit when and no turnovers from the starters.

8.  Hairston continues to impress.

9.  Luck took a hit to his shoulder and got right back up.  That’s a big mental thing for him I am sure.

10.  Ridgeway had two sacks.  He continues you develop.  I don’t think he’s anything special but he’s solid and you need solid guys on teams.  He also had three tackles all for loss.

The negative

1.  They have nothing at left tackle without AC.  It showed when the Colts tried to go down field and Luck got sacked.

2.  It might be the first game or the very vaniella defense they play in the pre-season but the starting defense is scary and not for good reasons.

3.  Mack getting hurt

4.  I hope they have another option at returner than Hines.

5.  No WR is really separating himself from the pack to be the number two.  It might be Rogers as he caught the only two passes that went his way tonight.  Grant wasn’t even targeted and none of the other young kinds showed out in a big way.

6.  The struggles on finishing drives.  Four field goals are better than nothing but this game shouldn’t have been close as well as the Colts offense played.  They struggled once they got past the 50 and the lack of TDS is a bit disappointing, especially when you get solid QB play, 20/29 but for only 189 yards.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d just like to see the team get better every week of pre-season.

Then, once the regular season starts, I’d like to see the team get better every month.

I’d like that as well but when I read this all I could think of was this line:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

5.  No WR is really separating himself from the pack to be the number two.  It might be Rogers as he caught the only two passes that went his way tonight.  Grant wasn’t even targeted and none of the other young kinds showed out in a big way.

Rogers needs to learn to run for the first down marker.  It was disappointing when he ran out of bounds on third down.  

Skai Moore looked fast but took bad angles, that will develop. Leonard I think was apart of every play he was in but 1. Our qbs looked good, but still no time to throw. Interior dl looked good, DE not so much. Morrison is defiantly alot quicker, that's a surprise. 2ndary looked decent they kept most in front of them. Run game was alot better. What i liked the most was our 3rd string vs. There 3rd string and we looked like a pro team vs. A division 2 college team. Liking the depth on our team.

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

When Quentin Nelson runs at defenders, they must be peeing their pants. Q never stops looking to hit someone. He is going to exponentially help the run game. 

We are weak at CB, and Ballard will need to start looking at veteran FA's to help

Breeland is still out there.  Hopefully he will pull the trigger now before someone else does. 

8 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Skai Moore looked fast but took bad angles, that will develop. Leonard I think was apart of every play he was in but 1. Our qbs looked good, but still no time to throw. Interior dl looked good, DE not so much. Morrison is defiantly alot quicker, that's a surprise. 2ndary looked decent they kept most in front of them. Run game was alot better. What i liked the most was our 3rd string vs. There 3rd string and we looked like a pro team vs. A division 2 college team. Liking the depth on our team.

Turay and Lewis were out. That would of been a notable difference on the D-Line if they were in IMO. 

Guess I was wrong about Luck not coming back.  Very happy he is back.  I thought he looked very good for his first appearance after a long layoff.  Hope he stays healthy and continues to improve.

PS,

Crow tastes like S hit!

• Like 1

It is pretty obvious we need A.C. and Good back.  Most of the o-line pressure was given up on the edges. (feels weird saying that compared to last season).

Also nice to see Luck admit he needs to work with the other recievers and gain more rapport with them.

Honestly, i thought the DB's looked decent today. There was not a lot of 'easy reads' by Seattle QB's and even the big reception against Moore. He was in the receivers pocket,..only a 1/2 step behind.

Turbin, Mack, and Wilkins all looked good.

Really like Walker.  I think he's a solid #2. (Even though he's OUR #3)

3 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

It is pretty obvious we need A.C. and Good back.  Most of the o-line pressure was given up on the edges. (feels weird saying that compared to last season).

Also nice to see Luck admit he needs to work with the other recievers and gain more rapport with them.

Honestly, i thought the DB's looked decent today. There was not a lot of 'easy reads' by Seattle QB's and even the big reception against Moore. He was in the receivers pocket,..only a 1/2 step behind.

Turbin, Mack, and Wilkins all looked good.

Really like Walker.  I think he's a solid #2. (Even though he's OUR #3)

I know a lot of people were excited about Howard but I still think Good is our starting RT when he is healthy.  I think he will only get better if he can get rid of his nagging injuries and stay on the field.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Guess I was wrong about Luck not coming back.  Very happy he is back.  I thought he looked very good for his first appearance after a long layoff.  Hope he stays healthy and continues to improve.

PS,

Crow tastes like S hit!

In this case it should taste like vanilla ice cream!