Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What was Ballard thinking letting Melvin go?

Pacergeek

On paper, our CB position is horrible. The starters are two UDFA's with minimal experience. Quincy Wilson, whom was drafted to be starting CB, had a bad Rookie season and is not ready to start in year 2. Melvin's contract was only 1 year for $6.5 million. With all the money Ballard had available, how could he not afford to match or beat this deal? Knowing Wilson was not ready to be a starter, it doesn't make any sense to let the team's top CB walk away. If we had a legitimate pass rush, we could probably get away with mediocre CB's. The Colts have no pass rush, and our CB's will get torched. I would argue the CB position was in better shape before Ballard was hired. I know it's blasphemy to criticize Ballard, but it looks like he has really botched the CB position.

• Like 2

Obviously I have no idea if he would’ve accepted it but... if for only one year I would’ve just offered more money.

$$ fixes or at least bandages most broken relationships in Sports. If only to try and see if he wasn’t a fluke and what’ our young team can show on the field with dare I say a more experienced player leading our Coverage unit. Imo he earned it but like I said maybe he would’ve needed a ridiculous amount to stay 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I know it's blasphemy to criticize Ballard, but it looks like he has really botched the CB position.

People (probably you) said the same thing about the backup CBs like Melvin and Desir last year when Ballard released Vontae Davis.  Those guys both stepped up and played well.

And contrary to your opinion about Wilson, he DID play well when on the field last year, he was just an immature 20 yr old who went from top-dog to dog-house in his first year.  Hopefully he learned from it and gets more playing time this year.

Why don't you just calm down and watch a few games before making threads like this?

FaroffPaltryCrane-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

It's been reported several times that Melvin took less money than he was offered by the Colts to go to Oakland. Nice try though.

Never heard this before. If true, and he took less money to play for friggin Oakland, good riddance

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Melvin was also almost 30 and didn’t really break out untill last season. Played well for us, but it’s not as if he was a MUST re-sign. I’m just surprised they didn’t sign a veteran in FA.

Ballard has spoken about building a core group of "in house" guys. Melvin fits this description. Because Melvin was a Grigson player, I think Ballard's ego must have gotten in the way. 

20 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

On paper, our CB position is horrible. The starters are two UDFA's with minimal experience. Quincy Wilson, whom was drafted to be starting CB, had a bad Rookie season and is not ready to start in year 2. Melvin's contract was only 1 year for $6.5 million. With all the money Ballard had available, how could he not afford to match or beat this deal? Knowing Wilson was not ready to be a starter, it doesn't make any sense to let the team's top CB walk away. If we had a legitimate pass rush, we could probably get away with mediocre CB's. The Colts have no pass rush, and our CB's will get torched. I would argue the CB position was in better shape before Ballard was hired. I know it's blasphemy to criticize Ballard, but it looks like he has really botched the CB position.

You're hilarious.

corner backs dont really get torched in a cover two, they have help from both linebackers and safetys.  its probably the least important position on the field, opposed to chucks scheme where they were probably first or second most important 

15 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has spoken about building a core group of "in house" guys. Melvin fits this description. Because Melvin was a Grigson player, I think Ballard's ego must have gotten in the way. 

I think your tinfoil hat is getting in the way of you making sensible posts.

source.gif

39 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Would be nice to one day something from you that suggests you are nothing but a troll.

This ain't it.

40 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has spoken about building a core group of young, talented players.  So Melvin being 30 does not really fit the description.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Have you EVER posted a positive post?  
Ballard offered Melvin more money than he signed for and was turned down. Get your facts straight at least before putting someone on blast.

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Actually, on paper the cb position is solid.  A second rounder, a fourth rounder, a fifth rounder, and a sixth rounder.  On paper, you could do much worse.

• Nadine locked this topic