Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jags 2, Colts 32?

chrisfarley

Are we that far behind them?  Wow, Bortles vs. Luck.   How important is a QB?  I know this ranking was already released and discussed in this forum, but it has shifted a bit here and there with this new poll (below), we haven't moved and we really haven't given them a reason to move us. By the time we play the Jags, where will we and they be ranked? (11/11/18)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000945490/article/nfl-preseason-power-rankings-jaguars-rise-seahawks-plunge

So many unknowns with this team, it's hard to blame them - first time HC, first time OC and DC, new offense, new defense, Luck hasn't played in nearly two years, inexperienced players everywhere...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will say this, the pundits were right about last year with us winning only 4-5 games but add Luck into the mix and all those close losses we had could lets to many more wins so 8-10 win if a healthy Luck plays. So put us at #32 its ridiculous and the players see this and let it motivate them

• Like 1

I always love it when fans get angry at preseason powers rankings. I don’t think we’ll be last, but somebody has to be, and whoever that team is, if the pundits ranked them as such in the preseason, it would get the same reaction. I really just don’t care, the games still have to be played. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Are we that far behind them?  Wow, Bortles vs. Luck.   How important is a QB?  I know this ranking was already released and discussed in this forum, but it has shifted a bit here and there with this new poll (below), we haven't moved and we really haven't given them a reason to move us. By the time we play the Jags, where will we and they be ranked? (11/11/18)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000945490/article/nfl-preseason-power-rankings-jaguars-rise-seahawks-plunge

Meh who cares...

the same "experts" had us winning the Super Bowl with ease in 2015...

Those same "experts" had Trent Richardson as clone of Marshawn Lynch...

similar "experts" had Hillary as our next president...

Point is, power rankings, predictions, polls, etc is nothing but talk. Talk is cheap. Nothing is official until the game is played 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Meh who cares...

Point is, power rankings, predictions, polls, etc is nothing but talk. Talk is cheap. Nothing is official until the game is played 

Haha.... good one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Meh who cares...

Exactly!!Enough said

• Like 1

You know what game was agonizing? The Jags game in London.

If Luck is well there's not nearly that much separation between the two squads. The Jags aren't 2 and the Colts aren't 32. 

An aside, old habits die hard. It's going to be awhile before I don't raise my eyebrow at the Jags. They could be good for the next few seasons and they'll still be the same ole' Jags to me.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

. I really just don’t care, the games still have to be played. 

True, but how are the Browns ranked above us? Are these rankings or writers serious? 

Cleveland has Tyrod Taylor or Baker Mayfield & we have Andrew Luck. 

Might I suggest randomly drug testing any reporter responsible for compiling this list/pecking order. 

• Like 1

Carolina is ranked 10th? You have got to be bleeping kidding me. Look, I like RB CJ Anderson & I do respect Norv Turner's offensive knowledge, but QB Cam Newton's accuracy ebbs & flows with more valleys than peaks & you're not gonna improve his accuracy now this late in his NFL career. 

Newton can play great on Sundays sure. We have all seen Superman do it. However, we have also seen when Cam has a bad day at the office too. The Panthers will also miss TE Greg Olson's production on the field immensely. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Carolina is ranked 10th? You have got to be bleeping kidding me. Look, I like RB CJ Anderson & I do respect Norv Turner's offensive knowledge, but QB Cam Newton's accuracy ebbs & flows with more valleys than peaks & you're not gonna improve his accuracy now this late in his NFL career. 

Newton can play great on Sundays sure. We have all seen Superman do it. However, we have also seen when Cam has a bad day at the office too. The Panthers will also miss TE Greg Olson's production on the field immensely. 

I don't see them making the Playoffs. I have Atlanta winning that Division and the Saints in 2nd.

34 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

True, but how are the Browns ranked above us? Are these rankings or writers serious? 

Cleveland has Tyrod Taylor or Baker Mayfield & we have Andrew Luck. 

Might I suggest randomly drug testing any reporter responsible for compiling this list/pecking order. 

Not sure your 1 man roster theory would pass a drug test.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see them making the Playoffs. I have Atlanta winning that Division and the Saints in 2nd.

I agree. The Dirty Birds & Bayou are in a much more advantageous position to make the post season than the Cats are. Absolutely. I can never get a read on Atlanta though. On paper, they look fantastic, but Matt Ryan has never been the same since the Falcons lost that SB to the Patriots. 

I gotta ride with Brees, Payton, Alvin Kamara in the playoffs. Kamara was a beast this past season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not sure your 1 man roster theory would pass a drug test.

I have no idea what the hades that even means. Of course, a QB alone cannot guarantee a playoff spot. My only point was this: How can a team that only had 1 victory last season bump us in the rankings? 

4 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

The difference in ranking seems about fair to me. If you were making up a single team out of the 44 combined starters it would probably contain 5 or 6 Colts at best.

The QB is the most important position on the field, like a Queen on a Chess Board. Bortles couldn't carry Luck's jockstrap. I am not buying either ranking. No way Jacks is #2 and we are 32. We will prove that once the season starts. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The QB is the most important position on the field, like a Queen on a Chess Board. Bortles couldn't carry Luck's jockstrap. I am not buying either ranking. No way Jacks is #2 and we are 32. We will prove that once the season starts. 

I'm not doubting the importance of the quarterback but the other guys on the field are obviously significant too. To follow through with your analogy it would be almost impossible to win a chess game with only a queen and pawns.

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not doubting the importance of the quarterback but the other guys on the field are obviously significant too. To follow through with your analogy it would be almost impossible to win a chess game with only a queen and pawns.

TY Hilton is a Rook IMO. Having said that Jacks should be rated higher because they have a Great Defense, but they are not the 2nd best team in the league and we are aren't even close to 32 with Luck back. 

12 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I like your comeback to my analogy, yeah that would be tough to win a Chess game with just a Queen and Pawns :thmup:. I think we have more than people think though.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yes, it is cspr. Here's what I never understand about NFL rankings though: With every new yr on the horizon, organizations wipe the slate clean & start over with a mixture of vets & new faces. But, your win/loss record is always used to calculate or determine whether roster additions will increase your prospects for a Championship or not. 

Writers can't have it both ways. You can't say last yr is history & evaluate from scratch & yet still take into account a team's victories & defeats last season when projecting seasonal success moving forward on an annual basis. So, which is it reporters? Clear the decks completely or use your record as a baseline springboard for rankings on new teammates that might be cut before the season even officially starts? Hmmm...

Here are my Top 5 Power Rankings:

1. Eagles

2. Patriots

3. Vikings - Great D and Cousins now

4. Rams - assuming Donald signs. Their D will be better than Jacks

5. Packers - with Rodgers back, best QB in the league

-Jacksonville isn't better than any of those teams IMO with Bortles at QB.

-Rams added Suh and Talib and have Wade as their D Coordinator, that will be a nasty Defense.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think most fans would agree that the caliber of your QB & baptism under fire on the field does indeed matter. It is possible to win a SB with if not a pawn for a QB a less than elite one. Trent Dilfer did with the 2000 Ravens, Brad Johnson did in 2002 under the Tampa Bay Bucs. Yes, I know. An elite defense or secondary can mask a lot of pawn deficiencies like Ray Lewis, Rod Woodson, Warren Saap, Derricks Brooks, & John Lynch did. 

I don't think you 2 are that far apart actually. A superior piece [QB or Queen] is typically a vital one in winning football. Although, sometimes, the true knights are LBs, secondary assassins, & defensive lineman that make an average QB look better than they truly are. 

Pawns can be turned/ transformed into Queens on the board as well. Never forget that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Meh who cares...

Nailed it, bro!

• Like 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827108/article/nfl-preseason-power-rankings-concerns-for-cowboys-ravens

So I got bored and looked back at the power rankings from this time last year. Check out where some really good football teams in 2017 were prior to the beginning of the season.

Rams - 27th

Jags - 26th

Eagles - 20th

Vikings - 18th

Bills - 25th

Saints - 22nd

Panthers - 19th

Literally 7 of the 12 playoff teams were bottom half in the league. 

Let em sleep on us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

The difference in ranking seems about fair to me. If you were making up a single team out of the 44 combined starters it would probably contain 5 or 6 Colts at best.

Colts are 1 of 32 teams (3.125% of the NFL teams in other words), if 5 or 6 players come from the Colts that would mean they are supply approx 11% of the starters .... that would be really good, that would put them as one of the top teams.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Colts are 1 of 32 teams (3.125% of the NFL teams in other words), if 5 or 6 players come from the Colts that would mean they are supply approx 11% of the starters .... that would be really good, that would put them as one of the top teams.

they meant just using the colts and jags

The only way to travel is up. Face it the Colts disappeared and embarrassed themselves and their fans in the recent past. Hopefully it is over and things will improve but to see predictions here of them going to the playoffs this year is sad. It ain't gonna happen.

25 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The only way to travel is up. Face it the Colts disappeared and embarrassed themselves and their fans in the recent past. Hopefully it is over and things will improve but to see predictions here of them going to the playoffs this year is sad. It ain't gonna happen.

Franks mantra seems to be "finish", and if they had "finished" in those NINE games they were winning in the 4th quarter last year, that's sniffing the playoffs WITHOUT Andrew Luck...

A healthy Andrew Luck on a team that finishes games is going to the playoffs.  It might happen this year.  We'll see.

7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Speaking of the Jags, anyone wanna watch Jalen Ramsey intercept Bortles while covering Moncrief, then punt the ball into the air afterward?  Moncrief giving his usual effort...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap3000000945620/Jalen-Ramsey-hauls-in-incredible-interception

haha

Thanks for sharing Lucky, now get a load of this  ----> WTH ---->  "While Moncrief's fully guaranteed $9.6 million contract might seem to give him the edge for a starting job"  :lol:

Whaaa?  Must read very short article regarding Gregg Doyel's favorite player ever (TIC), posted earlier today

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jaguars-donte-moncrief-listed-as-third-stringer/