Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Swoope a trade candidate?

PrincetonTiger

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

ESPN(Mike Wells) has released a list of possible trade targets and Erik Swoope is on it

I hope we get some value for him.  I would agree with the trade in principal be it that we are loaded at that position. I'd love it if we just kept him because the more he learns, the harder he is going to be to defend.

What did we get for Adongo?, or whomever that tall skinny OLB/DE was that we traded to Dallas.

Swoope's value is about 1 round earlier than him.  But then again, Adongo was a pass rusher and Swoope is a bit of a one dimensional TE.

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

ESPN(Mike Wells) has released a list of possible trade targets and Erik Swoope is on it

that's a stretch. he's shown flashes but has had an injury history.  That said, if someone got desperate, they might offer a 5th for him.  But even that's a stretch

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Another Colt Example

Colts traded UDFA LS Thomas Hennessy to NYJ for S Ronald Martin

If he's not separating himself from the other backup TE's then I could see them trading him for a possible backup OT or G.  But, as you pointed out, those trades are usually for bottom of the roster guys.  And you have to find a partner who's really enthralled with his potential because he has virtually no real game experience.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

If he's not separating himself from the other backup TE's then I could see them trading him for a possible backup OT or G.  But, as you pointed out, those trades are usually for bottom of the roster guys.  And you have to find a partner who's really enthralled with his potential because he has virtually no real game experience.

Injuries will have a lot to do with it

Swoope was mentioned in a larger article about players who could be traded before the season starts.  Kahil Mack was also mentioned in that article along with a half dozen other players.  Players could also be traded for other players not just picks.  One other player mentioned in that article was 4yr. veteran CB PJ Williams of the Saints.  Considering our CB situation that might be a player for player trade that could help both teams.  

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Injuries will have a lot to do with it

Absolutely.  Right now we're probably strong on back up TE's and weak on back up OT's.  That could and will change before the season starts.

I don't know if Swoope is that far ahead of the other guys, but I know there was a lot of interest in him when he decided to play football.  Coaches never forget...

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Absolutely.  Right now we're probably strong on back up TE's and weak on back up OT's.  That could and will change before the season starts.

I don't know if Swoope is that far ahead of the other guys, but I know there was a lot of interest in him when he decided to play football.  Coaches never forget...

It might also come down to how many TEs the Colts carry

• Like 2

Indianapolis Colts

TE Erik Swoope. The former college basketball player turned football player looked like he was ready to move into the No. 2 tight end role after a strong close to the 2016 season and trade of Dwayne Allen. But Swoope missed all of last season with a knee injury, and the Colts added Eric Ebron to be the second tight end to go with Jack Doyle during the past offseason. Swoope is having a strong training camp, which could make him a legitimate trade candidate, especially with the Colts liking fellow tight ends Ross Travis and Mo Alie-Cox. -- Mike Wells

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24303256/nfl-top-trade-candidates-17-dealt-preseason

This is nothing but Wells and his usual speculations. Not really any teeth to this other than speculating based on numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Swoope has any trade value at all, and that’s a big IF,  I’d guess it’s closer to a 7 then anything else.

If he was coming off his 16 season, then there would be some value.

But did he even play last year?   Catch a pass?   Is he doing much in camp?

Anything more than a 7 seems like wishful thinking.  

Maybe Ballard and Reich think Travis can replace Swoope?

We’ll know in a month...

Colts | Erik Swoope having great camp    Mon Aug 6, 11:05 AM

Indianapolis Colts TE Erik Swoope is having a great camp, in the opinion of beat writer Zak Keefer.

Footballguys view: Swoope has taken a few years in the pros just to learn the position. He never played college football but instead played college basketball for the University of Miami. He brings that basketball skill set to the football field. Swoope is a player we've always monitored in super deep dynasty leagues.

Link to story

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Swoope has any trade value at all, and that’s a big IF,  I’d guess it’s cliser to a 7 then anything else.

If he was coming off his 16 season, then there would be some value.

But did he even play last year?   Catch a pass?   Is he doing much in camp?

Anything more than a 7 seems like wishful thinking.  

Maybe Ballard and Reich think Travis can replace Swoope?

We’ll know in a month...

Every year there's coaching changes, and with that may be scheme changes.

I'd see a scheme change casualty being a decent possibility, and the time would/should be soon, if so.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What did we get for Adongo?, or whomever that tall skinny OLB/DE was that we traded to Dallas.

Swoope's value is about 1 round earlier than him.  But then again, Adongo was a pass rusher and Swoope is a bit of a one dimensional TE.

That guy could be really good yet if healthy 2016 with luck he was getting involved a lot at the tail end of that season. At that time I thought the order should have been Doyle 1 Swoope 2 and before we traded Allen have him 3 cause he sucked.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Indianapolis Colts

TE Erik Swoope. The former college basketball player turned football player looked like he was ready to move into the No. 2 tight end role after a strong close to the 2016 season and trade of Dwayne Allen. But Swoope missed all of last season with a knee injury, and the Colts added Eric Ebron to be the second tight end to go with Jack Doyle during the past offseason. Swoope is having a strong training camp, which could make him a legitimate trade candidate, especially with the Colts liking fellow tight ends Ross Travis and Mo Alie-Cox. -- Mike Wells

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24303256/nfl-top-trade-candidates-17-dealt-preseason

This is nothing but Wells and his usual speculations. Not really any teeth to this other than speculating based on numbers.

Thanks for adding the text

I don't think he has any trade value(not even 7th round pick). He's been no pedigree project TE with zero production. whose development has been stunted by serious injuries... 

If he gets traded it would be for a player on another roster that is getting cut and we want to try him out, similar to how we traded a long-snapper last year for safety Ronald Martin from the Jets. 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Indianapolis Colts

Right.  Are other teams going to trade for a rather unknown quantity just because he's having a strong camp.  It just seems like Swoope is a Wells favorite.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Indianapolis Colts

That's the point of this article.  Speculation and generate discussion.  He was asked to contribute to the article if he thought we had any candidates.  And he did. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's the point of this article.  Speculation and generate discussion.  He was asked to contribute to the article if he thought we had any candidates.  And he did. 

Yeah but there's no teeth to it.   And thats my point.

A bunch of stuff out there concerning the colts we all can speculate about.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Another Colt Example

Colts traded UDFA LS Thomas Hennessy to NYJ for S Ronald Martin

I think a better example is the Seahawks giving up a 6th for Marcus Burley.  A guy who was undrafted, bounced around the league, hadn't done much in the NFL and was a no cost free agent pick up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Wells is not in position to trade Swoope, so his opinion does not make Swoope a trade candidate.

Only if Chris Ballard wants to trade him, would Swoope become a trade candidate.

Good point.  I doubt he makes any moves? But if Ballard does anything at all (to acquire players, not picks) as teams trim rosters, does it show desperation all of the sudden? knowing that he has stood pat, for the most part, during FA?  Or does he have something up his sleeve?  He seems like a guy that wants locker room continuity and added somebody this late would just simply not be his style.