Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khalil Mack trade possibility?

Luck 4 president

On 8/7/2018 at 4:16 PM, dgambill said:

Not sure of the fit here at DE...but I would gladly trade Simon and our extra 2nd we have next year for Mack. Guy is a double digit sack machine entering his prime. Granted we have to re-sign him but we have tons of money to do that. Everyone complained we didn't go out and get anyone in free agency but Mack is a star.....which we don't have a single one on that defense. Immediate upgrade and someone for our rookies to learn from. We still need help in the secondary but dang pass rushers like him don't grow on trees.

I would gladly trade my Nissan for a Ferrari too.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just read a very good article entitled " The long view on the Mack standoff " by Rick Walz of the SB Nation Silver and Black Pride.  I don't know how to post it but if you can find it it's a great thoughtful analysis of the situation.  This is a pro Raider group and they concluded the Raiders should trade him now in his prime.  They think two 1st rounders and a young player with upside would get it done.  Reggie MacKenzie loves acquiring picks too.  What it would take is all speculation but the Colts do have the draft capital and a lot of young players to talk about in a trade scenario.  They also have Brisett who could also be turned into draft capital when the time is right.  A Brisett trade could eventually help temper the loss of any draft picks.  Most people don't think Mack is going anywhere but after you read this article, from people who know the Raider organization pretty well,  you start to realize there is a strong possibility that he definitely could be traded if there is no progress by the start of the season.  We are one of a handful of teams that have the wherewithal to pull off a trade.  Here's hoping we have already had some conversations. 

34 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I wouldn't count on it. Gruden's notorious for running high-profile guys out of town to set an example, & Mack would definitely qualify.

Not saying you're wrong....    I just don't remember....

I know about Keyshawn Johnson....   but I think he had lost more than a step by then.   I don't think his best years were after he left TB.

Who else?

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, Luck 4 president said:

it seems like the raiders are done with Mack. Gruden and him aren’t compatible and there is a good possibility he will be traded. Would it make sense, despite our crowded DE unit, to trade for a top 5-10 defensive player? If so what would you give up?

I would give them a 2nd and 3rd next year and Simon or Basham or both.

I admit I never paid much attention to Mack or the Raiders.  Is he a 3-4 OLB, pass rush that sometimes drops into cover? Or a Hand in the dirt, rush every down 4-3 DE? Can he do either?

No doubt he and Donald want to be highest paid, so waiting on the other to get a contract to work off of, IMO.

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I admit I never paid much attention to Mack or the Raiders.  Is he a 3-4 OLB, pass rush that sometimes drops into cover? Or a Hand in the dirt, rush every down 4-3 DE? Can he do either?

he is versatile and has played both LB and DE for the raiders in their 4-3. he could play 3-4 olb too, and maybe even ilb 

he had a great rookie season mostly playing 4-3 LB( im not sure if he was sam, mike or will). then at some point during the off season the raiders realized he could be more valuable at DE and he has 10+ sacks and 70+ tackles in each of the three years since then

On 8/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, richard pallo said:

I just read a very good article entitled " The long view on the Mack standoff " by Rick Walz of the SB Nation Silver and Black Pride.  I don't know how to post it but if you can find it it's a great thoughtful analysis of the situation.  This is a pro Raider group and they concluded the Raiders should trade him now in his prime.  They think two 1st rounders and a young player with upside would get it done.  Reggie MacKenzie loves acquiring picks too.  What it would take is all speculation but the Colts do have the draft capital and a lot of young players to talk about in a trade scenario.  They also have Brisett who could also be turned into draft capital when the time is right.  A Brisett trade could eventually help temper the loss of any draft picks.  Most people don't think Mack is going anywhere but after you read this article, from people who know the Raider organization pretty well,  you start to realize there is a strong possibility that he definitely could be traded if there is no progress by the start of the season.  We are one of a handful of teams that have the wherewithal to pull off a trade.  Here's hoping we have already had some conversations. 

There’s no reason to believe some GM’s have been, and are still calling the Raiders.  It takes 2 to tango, lots to work out.  Not just trade compensation, but I’m sure teams also want a commitment from Mack’s agent to sign long term for an agreed upon amount and years before making a trade.

This could get ugly.  If no trade is made, Mack may hold out until week 9.  He’s already lost 1.6 million in fines for missing all off season activities, and will lose around $800,000 per game in 2018.  If he doesn’t show by week 10, his contract tolls to next year. No way he is doing that.  So it appears there may well be a trade, or Raiders miss him for half the season, and play him second half of the year. 

Then, what to do next year?  They could pull a Kirk Cousins on him and Franchise Tag him, where he would not sign the tender nor practice until almost game 1.  No fines either.  Then do it again the following year, same song and dance.

It’s a mess and could get messier.  Both team and player seem stubborn enough but I hope something better materializes, for both sides.

Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News is reporting that the NY Jets have reached out to the Raiders about acquiring Kahil Mack.  He also reported at least 12 teams have already inquired about acquiring Mack some teams more than once.  Odds are we are one of those teams in contact with the them for obvious reasons.  If they decide to field offers I bet we are a serious contender.