Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/6/2018

TKnight24

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Not fool proof by any means but gives some context to the league wide picture:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/

The long and short of it is we never know the full story unti it’s a bad injury. A guy missing practice could just be resting a niggle for all we know.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

omg, I thought you meant to type "little" and it auto-corrected to "niggle" and I was like "what to heck auto-correct, that's not even a word" but then I looked it up...

haha  Learn something new everyday!

I just looked that up, I also had never heard "niggle" used before.  SteelCityColt is that a common British word?

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I see Henny Penny is back and in mid-season form!

The sky is falling!   The sky is falling!   We're dropping like flies!   We're dropping like flies!

:HFire:

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players for the year.     Not one season ending injury.

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players with a bad knee or back that might take months.

Fact:     Most all of the injuries we've suffered  are the kind that puts you out for a day,  or two.   Maybe a week or two.     But NOTHING terrible.

Fact:     Ths is NOT a decision made by just by Frank Reich.   It's also made by Chris Ballard.

Fact:     As much as you think you know,  they know much, Much, MUCH more than you do.

Just chill out.    Keep your powder dry.     7 posts ranting about injuries and turning this into a big deal is par for you.    But you've made your point.     We get it.    You're not happy.

Hey,  maybe it's another one of your conspiracy theories why the Colts are trying to go 0-16 and get the first overall pick!?!      

Hey,  it could happen!      :facepalm:

*Begin slow clap*  You win the internet today, Sir.  Well played.  Well played, indeed.

Personally I am refreshed by the physical nature of training camp so far.  The long awaited paradigm shift finally seems to be here.  No more soft team that gets pushed around.  The coach and GM need to find out what their players are made of and this is the only way to do it.

Just like in the military.  You don't know how someone will react under the stresses of combat until you get them in as close to combat conditions that you can recreate.

Keep on hitting, fellas!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I just looked that up, I also had never heard "niggle" used before.  SteelCityColt is that a common British word?

Very much so... can mean to needle or wind someone up, especially in a sports sense. Example, "There's a lot of niggle in this game" or "The game is niggly". It can also refer to a slight but persistent injury e.g. "I have a hamstring niggle". One I sadly know all too well. I think its an old viking word in origin. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Sorry to break it to you,  but you do not have a clue about what you speak. The high opinion you seem to have about yourself is vety comical. Keep it up, it is good fun.

While we might agree with the opinion let's  try to not niggle other posters... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The theme of this post so far reminds me of a classic quote regarding the training of the legions during the Roman era:

"Their exercises are unbloody battles, and their battles bloody exercises."

Of course they had a lot more flexibility with the injury reporting rules in those days... good times. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

These physical practices may be a bad idea. Almost half the draft class out today, and plenty more injuries. Already not enjoying this.

lol there is always somebody complaining during training camp about the way things are done, its football man, people are going to get injured, its a physical sport, im sure you have a better way to do it. Ballard has you on speed dial right?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol there is always somebody complaining during training camp about the way things are done, its football man, people are going to get injured, its a physical sport, im sure you have a better way to do it. Ballard has you on speed dial right?

i agree and besides normally a New coach will bring over a type of blue print he learned from a former regime. so i wouldn't be surprise if Frank is only bringing the same atmosphere he had in Philly

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

15 people missed practice today. We are fortunate not to have a season ending injury yet, but the physical practices have taken their toll. If the regular season started Sunday, we'd already be at a disadvantage with so many people out. 15 people missing a couple games would be a big deal in itself. We're lucky they have time to recover, and more will get hurt before it starts in a month.

As you were already told, the Colts had more injuries in recent year's than this year. This is (knock, knock) a relatively heahlty camp ... so far ... compared to previous years.

Btw, except concussion, none of these injuries are classic contact-injuries. Wrong steps, pulled hammies, groin injuries etc. happen without pads too. Not to mention that as much as it adds physicality, hence a bit more risk, full pads might also help avoid injuries when falling down on shoulders, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

While we might agree with the opinion let's not try to niggle other posters... 

Ok....   props to you....   I’ve been here more than six years and thus is the first time I’ve seen anyone use the word....   “niggle.”

Honestly, never heard that word in my  life..

Either way...   you win!   Yahtzee!! 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....   props to you....   I’ve been here more than six years and thus is the first time I’ve seen anyone use the word....   “niggle.”

Hobestky, never heard that word in my  life..

Either way...   you win!   Yahtzee!! 

Does Hobestky means honestly (in a brutally honest way)?

It seems like today is the day for vocabulary lessons or something. On Golic and Wingo, they were referring to synonyms for Mike Scioscia's "Poppycock" term he used in an answer, and came up with synonyms like Balderdash, moonshine, mumbo jumbo, gobbledygook, tommyrot etc.

Then they referred to that part of their segment where they were discussing this could be termed verbal diarrhea :) 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It seems like today is the day for vocabulary lessons or something. On Golic and Wingo, they were referring to synonyms for Mike Scioscia's "Poppycock" term he used in an answer, and came up with synonyms like Balderdash, moonshine, mumbo jumbo, gobbledygook, tommyrot etc.

Then they referred to that part of their segment where they were discussing this could be termed verbal diarrhea :) 

Poppycock, good word. 

Wait till you get into regional dialiects..brews and butties, being cack-handed, being nesh, being chuffed, kegs, ginnels, gaffers, nowt and owt, tykes and tinkers... aye lad it’s reyt champion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Poppycock, good word. 

Wait till you get into regional dialiects..brews and butties, being cack-handed, being nesh, being chuffed, kegs, ginnels, gaffers, nowt and owt, tykes and tinkers... aye lad it’s reyt champion.

Hey, I have a question for you. Is West London / Hayes a decent place to stay if I did a stopover at London during an international trip? Sorry to digress, you can PM me if you'd prefer.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It will only make the team weaker and our depth weaker as well as a worse record. This is going to backfire if a bunch of our players miss multiple games. Don't take me seriously, since I'm not a GM or Coach, my opinion doesn't matter. I know what I'm talking about though, and I'm sick of this team suffering injuries. This just increases it.

It is starting to worry me too, however, i think we were MORE  injured in camp when we used Pagano's non-hitting kum-baya approach.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Out of the 15 who missed today, maybe some are just taking the day off to give their body a break or they have a little soreness. During the Regular Season players do this all the time during the week. 

I think this is the case.  There is a group of vets on that list.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Damn, I hate auto correct!

Yes, whatever that nonsense I wrote was....   hobestky the word was honestly!  

Yikes!!        :peek:

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would complain that the team had poor Coaching and poor Talent, but I never said anything about being too soft. Yes, I'm complaining about the physicality. It may not increase the chances of a season ending injury as those are random, but I would wager against you that it increases the chance of short term injuries by a lot, and those take away practice and game time when the players have to recover from them. 

I get what Coach Reich is doing, but it's a lot less beneficial to the team than people think on here.

I dont agree.  I think it sets a tone and can be very beneficial.

injuries are a risk, but as long as i remember , players and coach say not going "full speed" is more likely to cause injuries.

we'll be ok bud. Also, alot of these "issues" were present in some of these players BEFORE camp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Poppycock, good word. 

Now! Now!  That'll be enough Robert Burns and "brose and butter" around here.  There are children present!  :D

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I see Henny Penny is back and in mid-season form!

The sky is falling!   The sky is falling!   We're dropping like flies!   We're dropping like flies!

:HFire:

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players for the year.     Not one season ending injury.

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players with a bad knee or back that might take months.

Fact:     Most all of the injuries we've suffered  are the kind that puts you out for a day,  or two.   Maybe a week or two.     But NOTHING terrible.

Fact:     Ths is NOT a decision made by just by Frank Reich.   It's also made by Chris Ballard.

Fact:     As much as you think you know,  they know much, Much, MUCH more than you do.

Just chill out.    Keep your powder dry.     7 posts ranting about injuries and turning this into a big deal is par for you.    But you've made your point.     We get it.    You're not happy.

Hey,  maybe it's another one of your conspiracy theories why the Colts are trying to go 0-16 and get the first overall pick!?!      

Hey,  it could happen!      :facepalm:

You said the bolded, not me. So that's on you. Only you would think of something like that. Next time you want to trash me. Do a better job of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

injuries are a risk, but as long as i remember , players and coach say not going "full speed" is more likely to cause injuries.

we'll be ok bud. Also, alot of these "issues" were present in some of these players BEFORE camp.

So true

Half speed causes two things bad habits and/or injuries 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You said the bolded, not me. So that's on you. Only you would think of something like that. Next time you want to trash me. Do a better job of it.

Oh, Dear God....    here we go again....

Do a better job of trashing you?     Seriously?

The majority of my post was devoted to proving that your 7-post rant in this thread about our injuries was silly, uninformed nonsense.     And I did.    Others here supported my post,  and your response was to saying nothing in your own defense.      Nothing.

So,  you pretty much got trashed on the main issue of our discussion.

As to the part that I made up about the Colts going 0-16?     Of course you didn't say that,   I never claimed that.    I was mocking your recent assertion that Super Bowls,  World Series and NBA Finals are often fixed.     And you know this because you've won a few bets.    Are you going to claim you don't remember that thread?     By the way,   I was barely in that thread.    I felt so embarrassed for you that I didn't want to pile on.    But everyone else had no problem telling you how wrong and foolish you looked.     I don't know why you do this to yourself?

So,  I made up another foolish possibility (it's called hyperbole) to point out how wrong you can be without realizing it.      Some reading comprehension would be helpful.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

So true

Half speed causes two things bad habits and/or injuries 

It really is a fine line to walk.

but we are trying to change the culture.  For this reason alone i would be in favor of the physical practices.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Good points.  Not only that but Reich is on record saying they’re very conservative when it comes to resting or holding back players who get dinged.  

A lot of these injuries were seeing wouldn’t prevent guys from playing if it was the real season.  At some point in the season everyone is dinged up.  

59 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good points.  Not only that but Reich is on record saying they’re very conservative when it comes to resting or holding back players who get dinged.  

A lot of these injuries were seeing wouldn’t prevent guys from playing if it was the real season.  At some point in the season everyone is dinged up.  

And how many times is a plyer "dinged", or "out for a week or two", only to be out the whole year?  You can't waste roster spots like that.

In my view, we've only sustained minor "injuries" this camp, evennwith the physical nature.

I also think MOST of those "injuries" existed before camp.

in my view, we are relatively healthy right now, and getting healthier by the week.

The only real glaring things (inury-wise) in my eye at the moment are the loss of Mewhort for depth and AC's hamstring.

I think Ballard will make moves at DB and OL (at least) before the season starts. !Maybe look for a plane-load of tackles to come and n for a look-see.  Haha

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

And how many times is a plyer "dinged", or "out for a week or two", only to be out the whole year?  You can't waste roster spots like that.

In my view, we've only sustained minor "injuries" this camp, evennwith the physical nature.

I also think MOST of those "injuries" existed before camp.

in my view, we are relatively healthy right now, and getting healthier by the week.

The only real glaring things (inury-wise) in my eye at the moment are the loss of Mewhort for depth and AC's hamstring.

I think Ballard will make moves at DB and OL (at least) before the season starts. !Maybe look for a plane-load of tackles to come and n for a look-see.  Haha

Nicely Put

I think JMs retirement has everything to do with his previous injuries 

• Like 1

I’m shocked people are actually complaining about these physical practices. We have consistently started the season with losses and played soft. Many would argue the reason we came out slow the last few years is because training camp wasn’t physical enough. If we had a game this weekend I’m sure all but 1 or 2 would play. 

48 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

I’m shocked people are actually complaining about these physical practices. We have consistently started the season with losses and played soft. Many would argue the reason we came out slow the last few years is because training camp wasn’t physical enough. If we had a game this weekend I’m sure all but 1 or 2 would play. 

There are very, very few that are complaining.

With that in mind a few always complains no matter what is going on. It's in their nature.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1