Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/6/2018

TKnight24

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People keep talking about injuries. I wasn't aware of anyone having a major injury up to this point. AC is out with a Hamstring but the season doesn't start for another month. Some players are going to have soreness, and have minor injuries etc. that happens every Training Camp. Guys like Luck, Nelson, TY, Mack, Kelly, Cain, Ebron, Sheard, and Basham are all healthy. Hooker is getting healthy as well. It's all good people. Jack Doyle is out today because of a personal matter. He isn't injured either.

15 people missed practice today. We are fortunate not to have a season ending injury yet, but the physical practices have taken their toll. If the regular season started Sunday, we'd already be at a disadvantage with so many people out. 15 people missing a couple games would be a big deal in itself. We're lucky they have time to recover, and more will get hurt before it starts in a month.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

15 people missed practice today. We are fortunate not to have a season ending injury yet, but the physical practices have taken their toll. If the regular season started Sunday, we'd already be at a disadvantage with so many people out. 15 people missing a couple games would be a big deal in itself. We're lucky they have time to recover, and more will get hurt before it starts in a month.

if the season started we would be fine because you cant carry a 90 man roster anyway... badum tssss:lol:

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Out of the 15 who missed today, maybe some are just taking the day off to give their body a break or they have a little soreness. During the Regular Season players do this all the time during the week. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

While we don't know the severity, they could just be overly cautious but 15 is alarming. Another note, I thought Rusty Jones was specifically brought on board to help guys avoid nagging soft tissue injuries. We will see how that works out.

You'll probably see more toning down of practices after the 3rd pre-season game. This will give them a total of 9 intense practices, with some starters being in shells only for that last week while the men fighting for the rooster still go at it. After that 4th pre-season game the coaches only get 14 more padded practices for the entire year, and at that point you're coaching players, not preparing them for game speed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

heres hoping all these injuries are just precautionary. 

I am sure they are because nobody has reported anyone having a major injury up to this point. AC is the only one and that is a Hamstring, not even a knee/foot/or back. He will be back soon IMO. If not opening day, within the 1st 3 weeks is probable is my guess.

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Also how many of the 15 being held out would actually be cleared to play a real game.

I’d wager that these “physical” practices have produced no more than the expected injuries levels, probably shade over.

People complain the team was too soft, then complain that they’re too physical in practice... figures.

100% right on. My guess would be most of the 15 could play against Seattle on Thursday. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Practice how you play. If you're going to get injured in practice. You're going to get injured in a game

Exactly.  If these guys are getting hurt during these practices, then certainly they wouldn't make it thru the season anyways.

• Like 1

I'm in favor of these physical practices and I'm hoping this is more just Rusty Jones being cautious with players. Not to mention we had tons of guys already missing practices in TC this time last season anyways.

The only injury I'm concerned with right now is AC, and I kinda doubt we see him play/practice for the next couple weeks or so.

• Like 2

Fifteen players on a ninety man roster, one of which was taking a personal day, another which was getting a vet rest day, and half of which probably won’t make the team, is not alarming in the slightest sense. Now that the strenuous, whip-yourself-into-shape portion of camp is winding down, I expect them to be cautious with injured players. If someone tweaks something, let him get a day off. This doesn’t mean a number of these guys would have to sit if it were game day. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Also how many of the 15 being held out would actually be cleared to play a real game.

I’d wager that these “physical” practices have produced no more than the expected injuries levels, probably shade over.

People complain the team was too soft, then complain that they’re too physical in practice... figures.

I would complain that the team had poor Coaching and poor Talent, but I never said anything about being too soft. Yes, I'm complaining about the physicality. It may not increase the chances of a season ending injury as those are random, but I would wager against you that it increases the chance of short term injuries by a lot, and those take away practice and game time when the players have to recover from them. 

I get what Coach Reich is doing, but it's a lot less beneficial to the team than people think on here.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would complain that the team had poor Coaching and poor Talent, but I never said anything about being too soft. Yes, I'm complaining about the physicality. It may not increase the chances of a season ending injury as those are random, but I would wager against you that it increases the chance of short term injuries by a lot, and those take away practice and game time when the players have to recover from them. 

I get what Coach Reich is doing, but it's a lot less beneficial to the team than people think on here.

simply put, train as you fight, fight as you train

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I thought your boy was Ishmael?  :lol:

Just really love the fact that we have 3-4 really solid tight ends. 2 of whom can really run.  Actually 3 with Ross Travis.   Not sure if we keep 4 tight ends though but we shall see.  Not many teams have multiple sets of 6-5 tight ends who can run 4.5 to 4.6 with solid hands.  I'm excited to see Swoope and Ebron on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All teams are missing guys due to injuries.    It's football

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So wager away and go and show your evidence base.. because given the amount of sports science going on behind the scenes I bet it’s nowhere near the training staff. Even amateur athletes have a wealth of info availible now to manage training loads, and the stuff the pros use is mind blowing. 

You’re speculating without anything tangible; even being lazy I managed to find a source that the Colts volume and severity is nowhere an outlier. The issue with trying to do any real crunching is the same as ever with injuries, we won’t ever see the full picture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It will only make the team weaker and our depth weaker as well as a worse record. This is going to backfire if a bunch of our players miss multiple games. Don't take me seriously, since I'm not a GM or Coach, my opinion doesn't matter. I know what I'm talking about though, and I'm sick of this team suffering injuries. This just increases it.

Theres a difference tho, before they would play and practice till they couldn't play and had to sit. Now the approach has been any little issue you sit and heal, and backups get much needed reps. Lose a guy for a few days or a week not the season. For as physical as its been i think it hasnt been that bad. Just IMO

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Over half the viewership of the NFL lives in the Eastern Timezone.  10 pm means a huge drop in viewership, granted its preseason but that makes it even worse.

yeah

You hit the nail on the head - preseason games are tailored towards the local time zone and fans, not national audience (unless it is one of the nationally televised games). A 7 PST start means more people in the local market watching and attending without leaving work early, etc. You can disagree but it is standard practice in the preseason. I'm in the minority, living in Oregon, but that start time means I'll actually be able to watch it live without messing with my usual schedule. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really think Wilkins is gonna be effective whenever he gets the chance. He just seems like the kind of runner who can consistently find the hole and gain yards.

I agree, he seems alot like F Gores work ethic and play attitude where he just plays and does whatever the team needs and asks. He seems determined to let his play and stats speak for him and his GRIT

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

omg, I thought you meant to type "little" and it auto-corrected to "niggle" and I was like "what to heck auto-correct, that's not even a word" but then I looked it up...

haha  Learn something new everyday!

I'm too scared to google it 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I see Henny Penny is back and in mid-season form!

The sky is falling!   The sky is falling!   We're dropping like flies!   We're dropping like flies!

:HFire:

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players for the year.     Not one season ending injury.

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players with a bad knee or back that might take months.

Fact:     Most all of the injuries we've suffered  are the kind that puts you out for a day,  or two.   Maybe a week or two.     But NOTHING terrible.

Fact:     Ths is NOT a decision made by just by Frank Reich.   It's also made by Chris Ballard.

Fact:     As much as you think you know,  they know much, Much, MUCH more than you do.

Just chill out.    Keep your powder dry.     7 posts ranting about injuries and turning this into a big deal is par for you.    But you've made your point.     We get it.    You're not happy.

Hey,  maybe it's another one of your conspiracy theories why the Colts are trying to go 0-16 and get the first overall pick!?!      

Hey,  it could happen!      :facepalm:

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It will only make the team weaker and our depth weaker as well as a worse record. This is going to backfire if a bunch of our players miss multiple games. Don't take me seriously, since I'm not a GM or Coach, my opinion doesn't matter. I know what I'm talking about though, and I'm sick of this team suffering injuries. This just increases it.

Sorry to break it to you,  but you do not have a clue about what you speak. The high opinion you seem to have about yourself is vety comical. Keep it up, it is good fun.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The thing is, it’s not going to be physical every practice year-round. This is mainly to teach the players to be physical when the pads are on. They won’t be on more than 14 times throughout the 17 regular season weeks. It’s gonna be fine. Just let it play out, and if injuries start ramping up and becoming more serious, then I’m sure Reich will scale it back, but I think since preseason week 1 is only a few days away, thats going to happen anyway. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I see Henny Penny is back and in mid-season form!

The sky is falling!   The sky is falling!   We're dropping like flies!   We're dropping like flies!

:HFire:

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players for the year.     Not one season ending injury.

Fact:     We have lost ZERO players with a bad knee or back that might take months.

Fact:     Most all of the injuries we've suffered  are the kind that puts you out for a day,  or two.   Maybe a week or two.     But NOTHING terrible.

Fact:     Ths is NOT a decision made by just by Frank Reich.   It's also made by Chris Ballard.

Fact:     As much as you think you know,  they know much, Much, MUCH more than you do.

Just chill out.    Keep your powder dry.     7 posts ranting about injuries and turning this into a big deal is par for you.    But you've made your point.     We get it.    You're not happy.

Hey,  maybe it's another one of your conspiracy theories why the Colts are trying to go 0-16 and get the first overall pick!?!      

Hey,  it could happen!      :facepalm:

Yeah I was kind of shocked to see his original Post about injuries? because I was thinking, what did I miss? Who is injured, etc..? AC is really the most concerning injury right now but it's not a foot/knee/or back. He may even be able to go on opening day if he takes care of that hammy. I am just happy Luck looks 100% and players like TY, Cain, Ebron, Nelson, Mack, Basham, and Sheard all look 100% and are having great camps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There needs to be a balance between physical practices and mending injuries. Im more bothered by the fact we can't beat teams like the patriots and steelers that just have their way with us because we're not as tough and then look at a team like the jags that will punch you in the mouth and if you dont punch back, you're not gonna win. I understand injuries are a concern, but so are the teams that we can't beat by being soft and finese

• Like 1