Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay on Brissett

RockThatBlue

He could be right about him being the best backup in the league. He was the starter after being with the Colts just under 2 weeks. He put up decent numbers all things considered. All while being sacked about 50 times and being in a ridiculously predictable offense with stale play calling. The only team with a better backup is the Eagles.

If a 1st round pick was offered I think Ballard would take it. With that said I just don't see Irsay over riding him if that were to happen.

If Brissett does shine in pre-season the Colts may get an offer but personally I doubt it would be a 1st rounder.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It was a compliment to Brissett...don't over think it folks. 

Not sure enough of Luck yet to ( this season at least ) to ever consider trading Brissett ……. Know some Colts fans that have it in their minds that Andrew is BACK ALL THE WAY DONE DEAL...… Maybe we can have that opinion somewhere around this Thanksgiving...… But not until then.....GOTTA KEEP BRISETT !....(This season at least ).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If a 1st round pick was offered I think Ballard would take it. With that said I just don't see Irsay over riding him if that were to happen.

If Brissett does shine in pre-season the Colts may get an offer but personally I doubt it would be a 1st rounder.

Why not?  With a reportedly weak QB class coming out wouldn't a team be smart to acquire a young proven QB with it's 1st choice over one of the college QB's with a lot to prove?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Why not?  With a reportedly weak QB class coming out wouldn't a team be smart to acquire a young proven QB with it's 1st choice over one of the college QB's with a lot to prove?  

Most any QB with talent at all is built up by not only the press but those coaches and schools they go to.

As far as the QB class being reported weak there is a whole season to dispel that. There will be a few QBs who will show their talent this year.

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He said not for a 1st rounder.  He didn’t say anything about accepting a 2nd or 3rd, which is a lot more likely.

Looking at the teams, who is going to be that QB hungry next year?  (I hope it’s the Patriots)

It could be the Steelers as well.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It could be the Steelers as well.

Denver or New Orleans are also possibilities.  I’m thinking it would take a team that feels it’s a contender and wants a proven young QB.  (Also an injury to Ben or Brees)

I think a 2 would be more likely, which is still a great deal.   

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great situation to be in if you ask me. We have a potential HOFamer starter and a guy that is a Great backup regarding backups.

And (for now ) a situation I would like to stay in .

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know he means well when he makes these kind of comments....

But....

Between this silly comment and his other saying that Marlon Mack could rush for 1500 yards, sometimes Irsay is his own worst enemy.

He can be a big eye-roll...    

Yeah,   how dare the owner of the team be optimistic.      His own enemy indeed:ninja:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   how dare the owner of the team be optimistic.      His own enemy indeed:ninja:

Really?     Optimistic?

Next thing you know you'll be swearing that Luck played last year because Irsay promised he would.

I typically support Irsay here.    I've done so countless times.    I like him as the club's owner.

But there's a difference between being optimistic and unrealistic.    I'm sorry this is news to you.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?     Optimistic?

Next thing you know you'll be swearing that Luck played last year because Irsay promised he would.

I typically support Irsay here.    I've done so countless times.    I like him as the club's owner.

But there's a difference between being optimistic and unrealistic.    I'm sorry this is news to you.

nothing he said is "unrealistic". Improbable, yes unrealistic,  no. 

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

He’s done nothing Yet to even be considered for a 1st Rd pick! 

Every year QBs are drafted in the first round that have done less, it's all about potential.  Heck teams keep giving up high picks and money for Bradford, and that guy has a chance to end up on the IR by just getting out of bed.  How much did Oisweiler get paid based on the performance of two games?

Give Brissett an average defense, and he could be in a position to win most game and a lot of teams would be happy for just that. I doubt he would every be a qb that would carry the team on his back, but he still was within a few plays of having the team last year at .500 even with an awful defense, a suspect roster, and statistacally the worst playcalling in the league. 

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If he is traded I wouldn't rule out the Patriots as a suitor at the end of the year.  I could see them as one of the prime teams looking for a QB.  

Huh I thought Tommy boy was gonna play till hes 50 they let go J B & JG why would they want JB back ? They'll just go into the draft & pick another QB IMO ''

9 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Every year QBs are drafted in the first round that have done less, it's all about potential.  Heck teams keep giving up high picks and money for Bradford, and that guy has a chance to end up on the IR by just getting out of bed.  How much did Oisweiler get paid based on the performance of two games?

Give Brissett an average defense, and he could be in a position to win most game and a lot of teams would be happy for just that. I doubt he would every be a qb that would carry the team on his back, but he still was within a few plays of having the team last year at .500 even with an awful defense, a suspect roster, and statistacally the worst playcalling in the league. 

Actually  J Brissett with no training camp no off season work outs in a new system surrounded by new teammates carried our Colts in there darkest hour since we lost Peyton Manning to neck injury our Colts QB's have had some of the worst offensive lines in the NFL our franchise QB's have been just hammered & despite this J Brissett made it through the entire season   , Lets be honest for 1 second Peyton Manning paid a price as did Andrew Luck our Oline was lackluster given an improved line & a running game J Brissett would shine no doubt only he won't get the option IMO I expect these problems to be fixed .

I can't wait to see how he performs in the preseason with a year under his belt .

• Like 1

Look folks, Mr. Irsay is the reason we have a team here in Indianapolis.  He could have moved the team after his father passed.  He didn't.  Is the man addled?  I think so (sadly).   With that said,  he is doing what he feels is right for HIS football team and our community by trying to assemble the best football team he can put together (yes, several of us paid to build local stadiums).  He realizes there is fragility with Luck.  He has the teams best interest at heart.  He won't part with what might/could be the future of the franchise in Brissett (as he views it). 

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

With a reportedly weak QB class coming out

After the 2018 draft this was the initial word about the next crop of QBs. But after further review, I could see atleast three and up to five QBs going in the first round. A lot of college football will be played between now and then and some guys will obviously rise and fall.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I know he means well when he makes these kind of comments....

But....

Between this silly comment and his other saying that Marlon Mack could rush for 1500 yards, sometimes Irsay is his own worst enemy.

He can be a big eye-roll...    

I think these comments are ridiculous and impossible to take seriously, but ultimately harmless. 

Everyone knows the only reason the Colts won't trade Brissett for a first rounder is because no team is going to offer a first rounder for him. And while Mack could conceivably go for 1,500 yards, everyone knows that's highly unlikely to happen (the Colts have barely had a back go over 1,000 yards in a decade; no one has gotten close to 1,500 since Edge.)

But end of the day, I have a bigger problem with people who make a big deal over comments like this than I do with the actual comments. IMO, it's better to just say 'Oh, Jim...' and move along, than to blow them out of proportion.

Coincidentally, same day Irsay says Brissett is the best backup QB in the league, Nick Sirianni says the same thing... I think Frank Reich might disagree with both of them, based on the guy Reich coached last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think these comments are ridiculous and impossible to take seriously, but ultimately harmless. 

Everyone knows the only reason the Colts won't trade Brissett for a first rounder is because no team is going to offer a first rounder for him. And while Mack could conceivably go for 1,500 yards, everyone knows that's highly unlikely to happen (the Colts have barely had a back go over 1,000 yards in a decade; no one has gotten close to 1,500 since Edge.)

But end of the day, I have a bigger problem with people who make a big deal over comments like this than I do with the actual comments. IMO, it's better to just say 'Oh, Jim...' and move along, than to blow them out of proportion.

Coincidentally, same day Irsay says Brissett is the best backup QB in the league, Nick Sirianni says the same thing... I think Frank Reich might disagree with both of them, based on the guy Reich coached last season.

I assume you’re talking about people like me.

Reminder;   All I said was Irsay can be a big eye roll sometimes.   And I also said he can be his own worst enemy at times.   It’s because, in part, of comments like these that he has such a poor reputation with the National media.   I don’t sweat that.   I’m just explaining why Irsay is viewed so much differently than many here who like him do...

Hope that clarifies....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume you’re talking about people like me.

Reminder;   All I said was Irsay can be a big eye roll sometimes.   And I also said he can be his own worst enemy at times.   It’s because, in part, of comments like these that he has such a poor reputation with the National media.   I don’t sweat that.   I’m just explaining why Irsay is viewed so much differently than many here who like him do...

Hope that clarifies....

outside of Indy,   what media spends any amount of time talking about Irsay? Other than his arrest obviously

57 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

outside of Indy,   what media spends any amount of time talking about Irsay? Other than his arrest obviously

Outside of Indy?

All the usual suspects.     ESPN and the NFL Network.    Pro Football Talk.

Whenever Irsay talks or tweets,   they listen and respond,  typically not favorably.

Like when Irsay said Luck's problem was mostly between his ears.   Turns out he was party right,  but he got killed for that nationally.     And when he promised that Luck would return last year by week 1,  and then that didn't happen.     He got killed for that too.

I really do like Irsay.    I just wish he'd check his impulses.     If I was advising him I'd recommend that he say less,  and when he did speak,   pull his punches,  not to deal with absolutes and certainties.   No promsies.  No guarantees.    More hoping and wishing and like to see happen.

Just softer rhetoric.

This is a tough one...largely because it all resides on the assumption that Luck is not only back to form, but is no more likely to suffer a sidelining injury than any other starting QB.  Hard assumptions to make.

I will say that I'm not sold on Jacoby being a starting QB in the NFL.  If he is one, in my estimation, he'd probably fall below the league median.  But, as far as backups go, he's one of the better ones.  He was obviously much better for us last year than Tolzien would've been and than Painter/Orlovsky/Collins were in 2011.  But I think a team would have to be pretty desperate to want him as a regular starter.

I read Irsay's comment as little more than a sales pitch.  He wants to deal JB, but he wants to get as much for him as he can....so he's fluffing the product.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Outside of Indy?

All the usual suspects.     ESPN and the NFL Network.    Pro Football Talk.

Whenever Irsay talks or tweets,   they listen and respond,  typically not favorably.

Like when Irsay said Luck's problem was mostly between his ears.   Turns out he was party right,  but he got killed for that nationally.     And when he promised that Luck would return last year by week 1,  and then that didn't happen.     He got killed for that too.

I really do like Irsay.    I just wish he'd check his impulses.     If I was advising him I'd recommend that he say less,  and when he did speak,   pull his punches,  not to deal with absolutes and certainties.   No promsies.  No guarantees.    More hoping and wishing and like to see happen.

Just softer rhetoric.

I see any and all fans choice to talk about Jim's tweeting and impulses, as...well....

impulsive