Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Rule Changes.

Cynjin

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

I was looking at some of the rule changes and points of emphasis for this year.  Some of these are head scratchers to me and I am not even including the new helmet rules.

"A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture."

So if a Qb dives into the end zone it is not a touchdown?  The ball will be placed back where the Qb initiated the dive?

"The Committee reviewed hits on quarterbacks inside and outside the pocket. In some instances, the defender used all or part of his body weight to land on the quarterback immediately after the ball was thrown. These actions put the quarterback at risk for injury. The Officiating Department will emphasize that the defender is responsible for avoiding landing on the quarterback when taking him to the ground."

So if a defensive player tackles a Qb and lands on top of the Qb that is now a penalty?  Yes, tackling the Qb, or any other player, puts them at risk for injury.  It's getting to the point where they should just say that the Qb is down by contact when touched by two hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I was looking at some of the rule changes and points of emphasis for this year.  Some of these are head scratchers to me and I am not even including the new helmet rules.

"A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture."

So if a Qb dives into the end zone it is not a touchdown?  The ball will be placed back where the Qb initiated the dive?

"The Committee reviewed hits on quarterbacks inside and outside the pocket. In some instances, the defender used all or part of his body weight to land on the quarterback immediately after the ball was thrown. These actions put the quarterback at risk for injury. The Officiating Department will emphasize that the defender is responsible for avoiding landing on the quarterback when taking him to the ground."

So if a defensive player tackles a Qb and lands on top of the Qb that is now a penalty?  Yes, tackling the Qb, or any other player, puts them at risk for injury.  It's getting to the point where they should just say that the Qb is down by contact when touched by two hands.

These rules are Complete *******.

20 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I agree. How can a head first slide or dive be 'giving himself up' near a first down or touch down?

..and when a QB IS a running back....like Cam Newton...

..why should be be protected?

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree. How can a head first slide or dive be 'giving himself up' near a first down or touch down?

..and when a QB IS a running back....like Cam Newton...

..why should be be protected?

These rule changes are just strange to me.  It is a very fast sport, I don't know how they expect defenders to be able to play.  

If a Qb then doesn't dive, won't that make the Qb more at risk of injury by taking a hit while trying to run through the hit in order to score or make a key first down?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cynjin said:

He's not 'giving himself up'.  Thus play counts; whether TD, fumble, or stopped short. It's subjective, but a ref can tell when a player is 'going for it' or trying to get down to avoid heavy contact. And remember, the QB sneak is legal because the NFL considers the QB lowering the head going into the line/end zone a 'protective' action, not 'initiating a hit' with his head.

The key line here is "... after the ball was thrown".

I call this the Rodgers Rule.  On this (incompletion) play, it is now a penalty; where it his was a legal hit last year. (watch the slo-mo replays)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000861020/Aaron-Rodgers-goes-to-sideline-after-hit-by-Anthony-Barr

They would still lose Aaron for 9 games though, but the refs move the ball forward 15 yards and the backup starts with a fresh set of downs.

I'm sure they can still land on the QB if he has the ball, but if the player is flagrantly rough doing so, they still have recourse to flag the play where it was more difficult to call before; unless head/neck are was involved (defenseless player rule).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He's not 'giving himself up'.  Thus play counts; whether TD, fumble, or stopped short. It's subjective, but a ref can tell when a player is 'going for it' or trying to get down to avoid heavy contact. And remember, the QB sneak is legal because the NFL considers the QB lowering the head going into the line/end zone a 'protective' action, not 'initiating a hit' with his head.

The key line here is "... after the ball was thrown".

I call this the Rodgers Rule.  On this (incompletion) play, it is now a penalty; where it his was a legal hit last year. (watch the slo-mo replays)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000861020/Aaron-Rodgers-goes-to-sideline-after-hit-by-Anthony-Barr

They would still lose Aaron for 9 games though, but the refs move the ball forward 15 yards and the backup starts with a fresh set of downs.

I'm sure they can still land on the QB if he has the ball, but if the player is flagrantly rough doing so, they still have recourse to flag the play where it was more difficult to call before; unless head/neck are was involved (defenseless player rule).

That's one interpretation, however the way it is written a ref can say that a Qb diving into the end zone is giving himself up and therefore place the ball where the dive was initiated.

As far as the landing on the Qb after the ball has been thrown, the Qb throws the ball quite frequently right before getting hit.  Now the defender has to make sure he doesn't land on top of the Qb?  That doesn't sound right to me, but again that is the way the rule is written.

If they want the calls to be something else then they should write the rules differently.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

That's one interpretation, however the way it is written a ref can say that a Qb diving into the end zone is giving himself up and therefore place the ball where the dive was initiated.

No other interpretation necessary.  The VP of NFL Officiating said this-

'And what about running backs who lower their heads when plowing into the line of scrimmage on a short-yardage run? Or Tom Brady lowering his head and plowing ahead on a quarterback sneak?

Both Al Riveron and Rich McKay have said those plays are still allowed, even though the players are lowering their heads. The difference is that these players are lowering their heads out of protection, not to initiate contact.'

Yes, they’re moving forward, but immediately they’re going into a protective mode. The same thing with a running back going through the line,” Riveron said.

Chairman of the competition committee Rich McKay said-

“With a QB sneak, they aren’t lowering their head to initiate contact, they’re lowering their head to try to get the play over with and get the yardage (not giving themselves up). In the open field, I make a decision and I lower my head to initiate contact.” { penalty }

https://tinyurl.com/yap7wwyx

As far as the landing on the Qb after the ball has been thrown, the Qb throws the ball quite frequently right before getting hit.  Now the defender has to make sure he doesn't land on top of the Qb?  

Yes, if the ball is gone, the defender must make his best effort to avoid landing on and crushing the QB bringing him down to the ground.  If the defender hits the QB just as the ball is out of the QB hands, that likely won't be flagged unless the tackle was determined to solely be delivered with intent to injure the QB.  One of the catch phrases to use in many of these circumstances is  time to “make other choices."    If, in the refs eyes, there was time to make an alternative play/move but it wasn't taken, then a flag may well ensue.

There are videos the NFL made on all the rules and plays that are legal, and those that were but are no longer legal.  They are being shown to every team during training camp by NFL refs that visit these camps.

That doesn't sound right to me, but again that is the way the rule is written.

If they want the calls to be something else then they should write the rules differently.

No, they have a clear idea what they want, and are integrating more safety every year.  They have clear idea to move the helmet from a weapon to solely a protection device. And increase protections on a defenseless player (namely the QB).

I anticipate that soon, there will be (in progression, depending upon penalties) little/no 3 point stances being used in the trenches soon.  The new rules will flag lowered helmet hits a lot, so it may reduce/eliminate 3 point stances without actually having to make an official rule. (which I also think follows). This in the name to reduce linemen concussions.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

'And what about running backs who lower their heads when plowing into the line of scrimmage on a short-yardage run? Or Tom Brady lowering his head and plowing ahead on a quarterback sneak?

Both Al Riveron and Rich McKay have said those plays are still allowed, even though the players are lowering their heads. The difference is that these players are lowering their heads out of protection, not to initiate contact.'

Yes, they’re moving forward, but immediately they’re going into a protective mode. The same thing with a running back going through the line,” Riveron said.

Chairman of the competition committee Rich McKay said-

“With a QB sneak, they aren’t lowering their head to initiate contact, they’re lowering their head to try to get the play over with and get the yardage (not giving themselves up). In the open field, I make a decision and I lower my head to initiate contact.” { penalty }

https://tinyurl.com/yap7wwyx

Yes, if the ball is gone, the defender must make his best effort to avoid landing on and crushing the QB bringing him down to the ground.  If the defender hits the QB just as the ball is out of the QB hands, that likely won't be flagged unless the tackle was determined to solely be delivered with intent to injure the QB.  One of the catch phrases to use in many of these circumstances is  time to “make other choices."    If, in the refs eyes, there was time to make an alternative play/move but it wasn't taken, then a flag may well ensue.

There are videos the NFL made on all the rules and plays that are legal, and those that were but are no longer legal.  They are being shown to every team during training camp by NFL refs that visit these camps.

No, they have a clear idea what they want, and are integrating more safety every year.  They have clear idea to move the helmet from a weapon to solely a protection device. And increase protections on a defenseless player (namely the QB).

I anticipate that soon, there will be (in progression, depending upon penalties) little/no 3 point stances being used in the trenches soon.  The new rules will flag lowered helmet hits a lot, so it may reduce/eliminate 3 point stances without actually having to make an official rule. (which I also think follows). This in the name to reduce linemen concussions.

You have a lot more faith in the interpretation skills of the NFL referees than I do.

4 hours ago, Cynjin said:

You have a lot more faith in the interpretation skills of the NFL referees than I do.

Al Riveron teaches them (all Refs) every season on the new rules and points of emphasis and when/how to flag them.  Then they (Refs) get videos on the plays affected by the rules, and have to teach coaches/teams the new rules and instruct them when/how they will be called via those videos.  It's all happening right now.

But it will not be a flag fest during the season... at least... they believe it won't be.

I worry more about selective enforcement of rules.

In other words..refs ignoring the head contact rules most of the time so as to not disrupt the game too much but enforcing them some times for whatever reason.

In that case, players who have been taught to hit with their head in high school and college, will risk the occasional penalty to deliver the hits that come naturally to them...

For the head contact rule to have the desired effect, there has to be a 'flag fest' , right?

Edited by oldunclemark

On 8/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, Cynjin said:

Regarding your question.  My guess would be it would revert to the first bullet point under the players giving themselves up.

The ball would be down at the point the first body part of the QB touches the ground whether he is diving forward or feet first.  So the QBs better make sure they are airborne until the ball crosses the plain of the goal line or they will be down short of the goal line.   The ball is spotted where it is in his hands at the point he is down. 

• Like 1

• I actually don't mind the rule against landing on players.  I get tired of seeing a receiver laying on the ground after making a diving catch a few seconds earlier only to see a DB come running in and diving at the player on the ground when a hand to their back works just as well.  I can do without unnecessary hits that do nothing other than potentially harm another person.

1 hour ago, our_dbs_rock said:
  • I actually don't mind the rule against landing on players.  I get tired of seeing a receiver laying on the ground after making a diving catch a few seconds earlier only to see a DB come running in and diving at the player on the ground when a hand to their back works just as well.  I can do without unnecessary hits that do nothing other than potentially harm another person.

That kind of play got you an immediate benching with the coaches I played and worked with 

41 minutes ago, King Colt said:

"Lowering the head". Whatever game you watch see how many times a player lowers his head and gets called for it. I saw this in the HoF game and I can't see how this rule will stay on the books.

It will get called in the open field every time.  Enough flags and players adjust. Pre season always get called more, to drill it in.

It will stay in the books, because the NFL is adamant about taking the helmet as a weapon completely out of the game- a protection device only. The rule may be adjust/tweaked over time, but it won’t ever be taken off.  Believe it.

Watch the pulling guard that gets out front of the RB on an outside run up to second level and lowers his head and blows up a DB or LB.  He’ll get flagged.  I have feeling that in the trenches (until the 3 point stance is eliminated) there will be some leeway, but not too much. Fire off the line head first into your opponent, watch for the flag.

I’ve heard Blandino, Riveron, McKay, etc speak on it.  They are nearly rabid about taking the human projectile/missile aspect out of the game. And I feel/see they have and will focus all new rules on areas where their studies shows the most concussions and dangerous injuries per play occurs.

• Like 1

As with most things...it's that old 5% rule. A small portion of any demographic stretch the boundaries, and the mass has to pay the price. In the case of QB's getting hit, this focus on protecting QB's has nothing to do with making the game softer because that is a better product. They are trying to change the game at a rate just quick enough to avoid a major damage to the sport at the hand of traumatic injury. 

The stance that the game has always been violent and we should leave it alone, is a selfish "I want my war" attitude that does not account for the increase in player size, speed, and agility through dietary,  training, and performance drug improvements. I watched football closely from the 80's forward...the amount of violent hits....and the physical impact of those hits on the human body, has been on a steady increase and we are reaching a tipping point in the sport. Does one really think that the NFL wants to make the sport less violent? No....they have to.  

Think of it this way....if players got so big and fast that by driving their helmet through a WR's extended arm actually began tearing them off their body, most everyone would agree that something has to be done. Well, that hasn't happened to arms....but it is happening to brains, more and more as we continue to get bigger and faster. Face it, physics is unavoidable. An ant can fall from an unlimited distance, land on the ground, and be just fine. But a human would explode. Physics. You get fast enough and big enough, and the game has to be altered, or watch the carnage...and the resulting affects; parents saying no to kids playing, players changing sports, law suits, etc. 

These changes are not easy, nor are they perfect, but they are trying. The least we can do is at least accept it is necessary. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 12:04 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I know I am dragging up an old thread, but what I was concerned about is happening.  The lowering of the head rule is being applied unevenly, with only one RB being penalized for the action and very few fines on the offensive side for lowering the helmet and initiating contact.  Now there is this, a Bengals TD was disallowed because the QB dove trying to score, but because his knee touched the ground before the ball broke the plane, the TD was not allowed.  The player was never touched by a defender, this is more akin to a college rule and has not been the rule in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/15/jeff-driskel-lost-a-td-because-nfl-treats-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

Here's the video if anyone wants to look at the play.  It occurs around the 3:05 mark.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

I know I am dragging up an old thread, but what I was concerned about is happening.  The lowering of the head rule is being applied unevenly, with only one RB being penalized for the action and very few fines on the offensive side for lowering the helmet and initiating contact.  

True, I think it is unbalanced. However, the refs are going to look at whether the runner is lowering to protect himself, or trying to be a battering ram and blow through  the defender.  I think position on the field will play into it.  The more outside the hash marks and in open field, the higher likelihood the ball carrier could get the flag.  Inside the hash marks, probably more of a protective posture will be seen.  If they both lower to 'initiate' contact, I usually see the defender as getting the flag, though an offsetting infraction should be called at times, IMHO.

The NFL/competition committee needs to revisit and review this, again IMHO.

Now there is this, a Bengals TD was disallowed because the QB dove trying to score, but because his knee touched the ground before the ball broke the plane, the TD was not allowed.  The player was never touched by a defender, this is more akin to a college rule and has not been the rule in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/15/jeff-driskel-lost-a-td-because-nfl-treats-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

Here's the video if anyone wants to look at the play.  It occurs around the 3:05 mark.

This is unanticipated fallout from a new rule.  Some QB's just can't slide, so the rule is to protect a QB going to the ground on his own as 'giving himself up'; feet first or not.  Thus any body part that touches the ground that would otherwise be considered 'down by contact {if otherwise were touched}, then the play is dead and  ball spotted where it was held when the body part was down.  There was no subsection outlining any extenuating circumstance.  Thus no special consideration for diving for the first down or goal lines.

The competition committee may (or may not) choose to revisit this in the off season.  For now, the QB cannot be afforded the 'extra' protections of giving ones self up, and also be able to dive for the goal and first down lines without defenders being able to defend {hit} him to prevent advancement.  So officials {as of today} will consider any QB, in any scenario, sliding or diving head first as 'giving oneself up' and blow the play dead.

The rule won't be changed, and I'm not sure how they can properly word first down and TD diving attempts by a QB as not giving oneself up and allow defenders to hit the QB (not helmet to helmet though) into the rule.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, Cynjin said:

That's coming.

On 12/15/2018 at 10:19 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

True, I think it is unbalanced. However, the refs are going to look at whether the runner is lowering to protect himself, or trying to be a battering ram and blow through  the defender.  I think position on the field will play into it.  The more outside the hash marks and in open field, the higher likelihood the ball carrier could get the flag.  Inside the hash marks, probably more of a protective posture will be seen.  If they both lower to 'initiate' contact, I usually see the defender as getting the flag, though an offsetting infraction should be called at times, IMHO.

The NFL/competition committee needs to revisit and review this, again IMHO.

This is unanticipated fallout from a new rule.  Some QB's just can't slide, so the rule is to protect a QB going to the ground on his own as 'giving himself up'; feet first or not.  Thus any body part that touches the ground that would otherwise be considered 'down by contact {if otherwise were touched}, then the play is dead and  ball spotted where it was held when the body part was down.  There was no subsection outlining any extenuating circumstance.  Thus no special consideration for diving for the first down or goal lines.

The competition committee may (or may not) choose to revisit this in the off season.  For now, the QB cannot be afforded the 'extra' protections of giving ones self up, and also be able to dive for the goal and first down lines without defenders being able to defend {hit} him to prevent advancement.  So officials {as of today} will consider any QB, in any scenario, sliding or diving head first as 'giving oneself up' and blow the play dead.

The rule won't be changed, and I'm not sure how they can properly word first down and TD diving attempts by a QB as not giving oneself up and allow defenders to hit the QB (not helmet to helmet though) into the rule.

I thought the rules just said ball carriers where allowed to give themselves up but in practice only QB's actually did it.  

This rule basically seems to make it college rules with QB's.

Seems to me they should just teach QB's how to slide.  I mean it's become such a fundamental part to quarterbacking these days that it seems like a massive oversight to have a QB and not teach them how to slide.  

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I thought the rules just said ball carriers where allowed to give themselves up but in practice only QB's actually did it.  

This rule basically seems to make it college rules with QB's.

Seems to me they should just teach QB's how to slide.  I mean it's become such a fundamental part to quarterbacking these days that it seems like a massive oversight to have a QB and not teach them how to slide.  

All ball carriers can give themselves up, but it is generally QB’s that do. (Sometimes you see defenders after an INT do so, etc ...). The rules say the runner is required to give himself up early, so that a defense has time to pull up from hitting him.  If a Runner commits late, and the defender has already committed to tackle mode, contact can occur. But the dinction is only the QB is considered giving oneself up going head first, not other runners.

Therefore, if a QB wants to get into the end zone or a 1st down, then he must get the ball past the plane before touching down a body part.  Head or feet first. Otherwise he is down and defender must attempt his best to avoid/minimize any contact.  It is stated no runner (QB + others) should be afforded extra yards giving oneself up. So an RB sliding is down at first contact if feet first. QB either way.

19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

All ball carriers can give themselves up, but it is generally QB’s that do. (Sometimes you see defenders after an INT do so, etc ...). The rules say the runner is required to give himself up early, so that a defense has time to pull up from hitting him.  If a Runner commits late, and the defender has already committed to tackle mode, contact can occur. But the dinction is only the QB is considered giving oneself up going head first, not other runners.

Therefore, if a QB wants to get into the end zone or a 1st down, then he must get the ball past the plane before touching down a body part.  Head or feet first. Otherwise he is down and defender must attempt his best to avoid/minimize any contact.  It is stated no runner (QB + others) should be afforded extra yards giving oneself up. So an RB sliding is down at first contact if feet first. QB either way.

Seems silly.   Just make the rules the same for all and make the QB's learn how to slide.  That way there are no questions about if the QB was intending to give himself up or to dive for a 1st down/TD.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Seems silly.   Just make the rules the same for all and make the QB's learn how to slide.  That way there are no questions about if the QB was intending to give himself up or to dive for a 1st down/TD.  

That’s the way the rules were. NFL felt that wasn’t enough, couldn’t get QB’s to slide properly. Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes have no issue (baseball backgrounds SS). Others do and not enough practice time is there to add that teaching. The league places player safety on itself, that’s why rule change.  The owners know the face of the franchise and biggest paycheck they write is often that QB. They’re tired of season ending injuries to them. Thus more protective QB rules and jokes about QB skirts every year.

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

Takes about 5 minutes to learn how to slide.

But under duress/pressure in games they can’t / don’t do it. Even when pleaded with by coaches to be smart, get down and slide. Athletes revert to old habits or bad form under pressure often. Owners took to the rules to further protect their most precious assets via officiating more QB hits out of the game. It’s an owner driven, safety cloaked ‘adjustment’. They want instinctive response to a QB going to the ground under any circumstance in any position is for defenders to pull up and lay off. They don’t even have to touch him down, or worry about extra yards in forward progress.

It’s not going away.

• Like 1