Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player, Head Coach and Stadium effect on injuries

stitches

Here's a thread on twitter about the effect different factors have on injuries:

This one is the important one. It seems like Pagano was the coach attributed with the worst impact on injuries in the NFL. Also, there is a VERY CLEAR trend that shows playing on grass diminishes injury risk - the top 10 stadiums with lowest negative impact on injuries are all grass fields and the Colts are currently playing on one the worst possible types of surfaces for injury - FieldTurf:  

This puts some light on some of the reasons why we have had some of the worst injury luck in the league in the last several years.  Note - the player factor is still more significant than both the field and the coach, but those two didn't help either. 

Yeah, I've always believed that grass is safer to play on in terms of injury risk. I know some of the Chiefs players may have been salty about that playoff loss but the way they talked about our playing surface, that it felt like concrete, seemed pretty genuine.

The coaching factor is interesting though. Curious how he came up with that.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I've always believed that grass is safer to play on in terms of injury risk. And I know some of the Chiefs players may have been salty about that playoff comeback loss but the way they talked about our playing surface, that it felt like concrete, seemed pretty genuine.

The coaching factor is interesting though. Curious how he came up with that.

Seems like this slide explains some of their methodology:

Djskb_BVAAELi2r.jpg:large

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's a thread on twitter about the effect different factors have on injuries:

This one is the important one. It seems like Pagano was the coach attributed with the worst impact on injuries in the NFL. Also, there is a VERY CLEAR trend that shows playing on grass diminishes injury risk - the top 10 stadiums with lowest negative impact on injuries are all grass fields and the Colts are currently playing on one the worst possible types of surfaces for injury - FieldTurf:  

This puts some light on some of the reasons why we have had some of the worst injury luck in the league in the last several years.  Note - the player factor is still more significant than both the field and the coach, but those two didn't help either. 

It says that New England plays on field turf and they have one of the lower injury rates non-grass.  Also, Dessograss, whatever that is, has the best of the non-grass injury rates but also one of the bottom five.  It makes me wonder how important field surface is other than being grass or non-grass field.

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

It says that New England plays on field turf and they have one of the lower injury rates non-grass.  Also, Dessograss, whatever that is, has the best of the non-grass injury rates but also one of the bottom five.  It makes me wonder how important field surface is other than being grass or non-grass field.

They probably have the data by surface that would make more sense, but it's not shown on those slides. It's possible the difference between different non-grass surfaces is not too big, at least on first glance it seems like it.