Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard will be on Dakich today

Steamboat_Shaun

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I love that he's taking ownership of that, but at the same time, how on earth could he have known that we were going to be down to our 4th string center by week 5?

I haven’t the slightest idea but if him blaming himself means we’ll be building one of the better offensive lines in the league, then I’ll throw some blame on him myself haha

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I love that he's taking ownership of that, but at the same time, how on earth could he have known that we were going to be down to our 4th string center by week 5?

Agreed.

But i'd rather have a guy who's addresses a need too late, but does so capably (hopefully Ballard) than a guy who sees a need, and is completely and utterly incompetent in his attempt to fill it (Grigson).

23 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Hopefully Smith at RT wouldn't be long term and only for this year in case of injury. I know Slauson's got RG locked down for this year most likely, but it definitely seems like Smith's floor/ceiling is higher at RG.

For sure. Being an All SEC offensive linemen is nothing to sneeze at, & while it's nice to be able to move guys around without having a huge dropoff, I'd prefer Smith to eventually earn the starting RG spot as opposed to being forced to play RT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Chris Ballard takes the blame on the offensive line last season 

Says he should’ve drafted depth or signed depth. Blames himself, no one else. Says he’s committed to build inside out from now until forever 

Love the bolded statement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For sure. Being an All SEC offensive linemen is nothing to sneeze at, & while it's nice to be able to move guys around without having a huge dropoff, I'd prefer Smith to eventually earn the starting RG spot as opposed to being forced to play RT.

He could have let Smith develop behind Slausen.  Slausen and Howard are both vets earmarked to start.  Now he stated he has asked Smith to play RT.  That sounds like they are thinking they want RT to be his permanent position.  Otherwise why do it ?  Just let him overtake Slauson when he's ready if they want him to be the RG.  To me moving him behind Howard is a signal that they want RT to be his home.  

I just listened to Dan interview Bob Lamey too. Another great chat. Love Bob's voice man. He's so complementary of Luck, Jack Mewhort, Ballard, & Irsay. It's easy to see why this city loves him as a goodwill ambassador for all things horseshoe related.

His excited voice inflections after touchdowns were the best! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I just listened to Dan interview Bob Lamey too. Another great chat. Love Bob's voice man. He's so complementary of Luck, Jack Mewhort, Ballard, & Irsay. It's easy to see why this city loves him as a goodwill ambassador for all things horseshoe related.

His excited voice inflections after touchdowns were the best! 

Whoever tries to fill Bob's shoes when he retires will have their hands full.

• Like 3

I think Ballard was trying to demostrate Smith's versatility at playing the RT position. He was probably played there due to the recent injuries to AC, Good, Howard and Burwell, with Haeg taking some reps at center. I think with those injuries cleared up now, and Mewhort retired, Smith should be back playing at guard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

He could have let Smith develop behind Slausen.  Slausen and Howard are both vets earmarked to start.  Now he stated he has asked Smith to play RT.  That sounds like they are thinking they want RT to be his permanent position.  Otherwise why do it ?  Just let him overtake Slauson when he's ready if they want him to be the RG.  To me moving him behind Howard is a signal that they want RT to be his home.  

I could be wrong, but I think that's what's actually going on now. When Ballard says they asked Smith to fill in at RT, I  feel like that was only during the first few practices while Howard & Castonzo were still sidelined. And on JMV the other day Venturi made it sound like they've moved him back over to the backup RG spot.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think they’re asking Smith to play some RT as a short-term thing, not long term.

Howard  has been banged up.   So has Good.   Haeg is playing mostly backup center.     And Clark is still struggling to find a home.    Smith feels like an emergency need.

I’d bet he’s starting at RG by next year at the latest.

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think they’re asking Smith to play some RT as a short-term thing, not long term.

Howard  has been banged up.   So has Good.   Haeg is playing mostly backup center.     And Clark is still struggling to find a home.    Smith feels like an emergency need.

I’d bet he’s starting at RG by next year at the latest.

I hope you're right.  Ballard's quote was pretty direct. " We've asked him to play RT."  Not to fill in or help us at RT.  Costanzo, Nelson, Kelly, even Mewhort were high OL draft picks and moved right into there best position.  No trying different positions.  Maybe they think he could be a starting RT.  We shall see I guess.   

With Smith, it’s really not that complicated.  If he shows starter level traits at RT once they see him for a bit, then that’s what he’ll be given his dimensions.  Guards may be more of a premium than they were but Tackles that can play in space are still way harder to find...

I’m really interested to see Braden Smith get worked in. I have a feeling he’ll be a little bit like Joe Reitz for a while, fitting in where he needs to. But I think in time he can unseat one of Slauson or Howard for starts

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I just love that he is owning up to mistakes. He recognises his own shortcomings and mistakes and learns from them. That’s what makes a great GM.

I’m listening to it now and the first question he answers with pure honesty.   You expect the non answer.  Really like hearing him. 

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I hope you're right.  Ballard's quote was pretty direct. " We've asked him to play RT."  Not to fill in or help us at RT.  Costanzo, Nelson, Kelly, even Mewhort were high OL draft picks and moved right into there best position.  No trying different positions.  Maybe they think he could be a starting RT.  We shall see I guess.   

Right.  What he did not say is "We've moved him to RT permanently".  

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  Ballard screws up the Oline last year, not addressing it, and every body loves him.  Amazing.

Actually drafting Hooker at #15 was the right move assuming he gets healthy. We needed so much help on Defense that it was pick your poison Chris LOL. He addressed the O.Line greatly this offseason.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  Ballard screws up the Oline last year, not addressing it, and every body loves him.  Amazing.

I'm gonna throw a bone out here for you and @Jared Cisneros to chew on: 

What if Ballard knew Andrew wasn't going to play last year way back when they were saying he should be fine by week 1, so Ballard didn't address the OLine on purpose knowing he needed to start building his 4-3 defense early so it could transition quickly to catch up with a Luck-led offense THIS year, when he could quickly assemble an OLine in one offseason for Lucks triumphant 2018 return?  Would you be mad that he misled us all last year to keep ticket sales up for his owner during a losing season, in a grand scheme to become a winning ballclub THIS year, and increase profits even more in only his second year as GM?

source.gif

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm gonna throw a bone out here for you and @Jared Cisneros to chew on: 

What if Ballard knew Andrew wasn't going to play last year way back when they were saying he should be fine by week 1, so Ballard didn't address the OLine on purpose knowing he needed to start building his 4-3 defense early so it could transition quickly to catch up with a Luck-led offense THIS year, when he could quickly assemble an OLine in one offseason for Lucks triumphant 2018 return?  Would you be mad that he misled us all last year to keep ticket sales up for his owner during a losing season, in a grand scheme to become a winning ballclub THIS year, and increase profits even more in only his second year as GM?

source.gif

That is called a conspiracy theory.   

27 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I don't see how it was Ballard that "screwed up" the Oline last year.

I'll say it more precisely.  He says that not addressing the oline last year was a screw up.  Nobody holds it against him, and actually make positive comments about him simply because he stated the obvious.  

I think that's amazing given the history of this forum and how it treats GMs decisions.  I guess since it was Brissett getting beat up, not addressing the oline last year doesn't matter.