Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals Back To Back In Colts Schedule-Why?

King Colt

The final game of preseason and first game of the regular season has the Colts playing the Bengals in both games. Why would the NFL do this? The final game of the preseason has the starters playing and I don't like the Bengals noted for dirty play going after Luck in preseason knowing they will face him in their first game if the regular season.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The final game of preseason and first game of the regular season has the Colts playing the Bengals in both games. Why would the NFL do this? The final game of the preseason has the starters playing and I don't like the Bengals noted for dirty play going after Luck in preseason knowing they will face him in their first game if the regular season.

Typically the 3rd preseason game is the "dress rehearsal" game. Luck and the rest of the starters wont play in the 4th preseason game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's the 3rd game of preseason where starters play a half +.  

In the 4th game, it's mainly players who won't be on the roster the next week.  I doubt Luck or many starters even play.  Some might play a series.

• Like 2

it's definitely odd but i am not to worried. The 3rd game is generally the game where the starters play the most, the 4th game will be mostly second second team.  As for the Bengals they have a few bad apple players but i wouldn't say the team as a whole plays any more or less dirty than any other of the 31 teams.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

The starters play very little in the last preseason game

• Like 2

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Actually the starters don't play at all in the preseason's final week

8 hours ago, King Colt said:

The final game of the preseason almost literally has ZERO starters playing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

The only thing the teams playing in the preseason game and game one will have in common are the uniforms.  

Yes.  The guys who play on August 30th will most likely be bagging groceries on September 9th.

I think he gets it guys...  we're probably not gonna see Burfict "Goldberg Spear" Luck back onto IR in the final game of the preseason.  :thmup:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and wager that last preseason game will be the most basic vanilla gameplan the coaches on either team have ever drawn up...  haha

8 hours ago, King Colt said:

It is odd, especially since Colts & Bengals play each other in the 4th preseason game every year. I wouldn't worry much about starters or dirty play though, the 4th game is typically viewed as one last chance for fringe roster players to earn a spot on the final 53.

8 hours ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

Luck and the rest of the starters wont play in the 4th preseason game.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

In the 4th game, it's mainly players who won't be on the roster the next week.  I doubt Luck or many starters even play.  Some might play a series.

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

The 3rd game is generally the game where the starters play the most, the 4th game will be mostly second second team.  

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The starters don't usually play much in final preseason game.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Actually the starters don't play at all in the preseason's final week

21 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The final game of the preseason almost literally has ZERO starters playing.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

the 4th game is typically viewed as one last chance for fringe roster players to earn a spot on the final 53.

......Now if I could just find some info on the 4th presason game, whether or not starters play much.....

........someone's gotta know......

.....anyone? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

......Now if I could just find some info on the 4th presason game, whether or not starters play much.....

.....anyone? 

I'll try to find a webpage on the internet that lays out all of this information for you in 1 convenient place... sit tight.

11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

.....anyone? 

No none of them should be in there at all it will likely be all the young guys on the roster bubble playing.

36 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

One thing's for sure, the gameplan for both teams is going to be so vanilla as to not give anything away for week 1. I know week 4 preseason games are pretty boring anyways, but this one should be especially so.

We will run the ball every play. 

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Correct, I got them switched.The third preseason game is usually considered to be a dress rehearsal for the first-team players. Coaches often use this game as a final tweak for their starters, and marquis players tend to play quite a bit in the third week. The third game is likely the last time that teams will play their starters in the preseason as they normally opt to hold their big guns out for Week 4 contests to avoid injuries.

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think he gets it guys...  we're probably not gonna see Burfict "Goldberg Spear" Luck back onto IR in the final game of the preseason.  :thmup:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and wager that last preseason game will be the most basic vanilla gameplan the coaches on either team have ever drawn up...  haha

Does that include pagano's & chuds gameplans from last year too? Lol

13 hours ago, King Colt said:

Didn’t realize.  Thank you for pointing that out.  Very weird. 

17 hours ago, Myles said:

It is odd and maybe an oversight.   Perhaps scheduling conflicts made it unavoidable.   

From what I heard, that was the case that they had this as one of the only plausible overall schedules. They try to not do it, but they couldnt schedule well any other one.

9 hours ago, workinman said:

What stood out to me, when I looked at the schedule was the fact we travel again to New England. It might just be me, but we travel there too much.

Its a rotation. You can predict how itll go next year by looking at schedule

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, lollygagger8 said:

.....anyone? 

On 8/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Google it. Lol

giphy.gif

On 8/3/2018 at 11:47 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'll try to find a webpage on the internet that lays out all of this information for you in 1 convenient place... sit tight.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, King Colt said:

Actually, I googled it and it came up immediately.

5f9.gif