Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 / 2014 Draft Failures

Scott Pennock

With the Mewhort retirement I was thinking about the foundation of the team and the 3rd thru 5th year players are supposed to be those foundation stones, so to speak. 

Then I came across this article which sums up why Grigson and Company are unemployed currently....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/colts-now-out-of-players-from-2013-2014-drafts/

Interesting read, but if you don't feel like it, the gist is that exactly ZERO draft pick from 2013 or 2014 are with the team.....

That is pitiful, especially when you read how many of them are not even in the NFL anymore!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Interesting read, but if you don't feel like it, the gist is that exactly ZERO draft pick from 2013 or 2014 are with the team.....

That is pitiful, especially when you read how many of them are not even in the NFL anymore!

I hate profootballtalk (especially Florio) so I'm going to play devils' advocate.

How many draft picks from the '13 and '14 drafts are still on the other 31 teams in the NFL?

How many other teams have zero of their picks from those drafts still on the team?

Do ANY teams have ALL of their draft picks from the '13 or '14 draft still on the team?

Some perspective would be nice, but profootballtalk usually tells a one-sided story...

tenor.gif?itemid=5740837

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

With the Mewhort retirement I was thinking about the foundation of the team and the 3rd thru 5th year players are supposed to be those foundation stones, so to speak. 

Then I came across this article which sums up why Grigson and Company are unemployed currently....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/colts-now-out-of-players-from-2013-2014-drafts/

2 things...

1) Grigson actually is currently employed by the Seahawks, I'm not 100% sure what his role is there, as I couldn't care less, but he does still work in the NFL.

2) In this particular case, I tend to feel like it may be a good thing that we don't have any players left from those 2 drafts, because only a handful of them were actually decent, & our salary cap situation would likely be much more complicated if a bunch of those guys had earned 2nd contracts.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

2) In this particular case, I tend to feel like it may be a good thing that we don't have any players left from those 2 drafts, because only a handful of them were actually decent, & our salary cap situation would likely be much more complicated if a bunch of those guys had earned 2nd contracts.

Something I’d like to see is how many players OVERALL from the last few years of drafts are still in the NFL and in what role? We can’t be the only team to suffer such poor luck, and if we are, then it shows how bad our front office and coaching staff actually was

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I hate profootballtalk (especially Florio) so I'm going to play devils' advocate.

How many draft picks from the '13 and '14 drafts are still on the other 31 teams in the NFL?

How many other teams have zero of their picks from those drafts still on the team?

Do ANY teams have ALL of their draft picks from the '13 or '14 draft still on the team?

Some perspective would be nice, but profootballtalk usually tells a one-sided story...

Players hit free agency and leave (like Moncrief), or get traded. Late round picks aren't likely to last more than a couple years. I agree, just looking at how many guys are still on your team isn't a clear indication of whether you drafted well. And I also agree that PFT is a rag, generally.

But in the case of the Colts 2013 and 2014 drafts, the majority of those players aren't even in the league anymore. Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton, Khaled Holmes, Montori Hughes, John Boyett (turned out to be an alcoholic, maybe not Grigson's fault), Justice Cunningham, Jack Mewhort (no one's fault, I don't hold this against Grigson or the staff), Jon Newsome, Andrew Jackson.

Some of these guys didn't make it to Year 3, much less Year 5. I think this is a very fair criticism of Ryan Grigson. When you look back after three or four years and 75% of your picks aren't even in the league anymore, you drafted poorly. And in practice, at least some of them should still be on the team, if they were good players.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Something I’d like to see is how many players OVERALL from the last few years of drafts are still in the NFL and in what role? We can’t be the only team to suffer such poor luck, and if we are, then it shows how bad our front office and coaching staff actually was

I read last season that majority of NFL teams don't have any players remaining on their roster from the '13 draft, as it was just such a historically bad class. I can't remember the exact number, but I want to say it was in the high 20s.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Players hit free agency and leave (like Moncrief), or get traded. Late round picks aren't likely to last more than a couple years. I agree, just looking at how many guys are still on your team isn't a clear indication of whether you drafted well. And I also agree that PFT is a rag, generally.

But in the case of the Colts 2013 and 2014 drafts, the majority of those players aren't even in the league anymore. Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton, Khaled Holmes, Montori Hughes, John Boyett (turned out to be an alcoholic, maybe not Grigson's fault), Justice Cunningham, Jack Mewhort (no one's fault, I don't hold this against Grigson or the staff), Jon Newsome, Andrew Jackson.

Some of these guys didn't make it to Year 3, much less Year 5. I think this is a very fair criticism of Ryan Grigson. When you look back after three or four years and 75% of your picks aren't even in the league anymore, you drafted poorly. And in practice, at least some of them should still be on the team, if they were good players.

I agree, Grigson was bad enough that he may earn a spot for his name in NFL nomenclature - "Boy, Gruden really Grigsoned that draft"

I was just playing devils' advocate.  I remember the '13 and '14 drafts not having much talent to begin with anyway, but then when you let Grigson make the picks...

:dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I read last season that majority of NFL teams don't have any players remaining on their roster from the '13 draft, as it was just such a historically bad class. I can't remember the exact number, but I want to say it was in the high 20s.

A actual fact that doesn't add to the narrative.  That's not allowed here. 

The article was written about the Colts, but could have been written about most teams, short of about 5.  (where they also got lucky by finding a couple of players in late rounds or UDFAs that nobody expected would turn out so well)

if you go from 2012-2015 we only have luck, ty and geathers  from those drafts, that does look pretty bad

we did get brissett in a trade, who probably isnt worth a first round pick but we should get some value out of him 

id be surprised if theres another team with only 3 players in those 4 drafts still around 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

if you go from 2012-2015 we only have luck, ty and geathers  from those drafts, that does look pretty bad

we did get brissett in a trade, who probably isnt worth a first round pick but we should get some value out of him 

id be surprised if theres another team with only 3 players in those 4 drafts still around 

That can also be misleading 

48 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

i guess it could be

i think many of them were either cut or not re signed in free agency.  some of them were good players that couldnt stay healthy like mewhort, thornton and i guess vick ballard.  i wont be shocked if geathers joins that list too and that would wipe out another draft class

allen and dorsett were traded and they did even less there than they did here

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There is nothing misleading here.  Outside of the no-brainer pick in Luck, Grigson was that bad, yet people defended him for years.  Impossible to believe, but true.  

Of course, in face of all evidence, people defended Trent Richardson to their deaths as well.  That's the internet for you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, #12. said:

There is nothing misleading here.  Outside of the no-brainer pick in Luck, Grigson was that bad, yet people defended him for years.  Impossible to believe, but true.  

Of course, in face of all evidence, people defended Trent Richardson to their deaths as well.  That's the internet for you.

It wasn’t hard to defend Grigson for years.

When you win as much as the Colts did,  defending the GM who oversees all that winning is easy to do.

Everything isn’t just black or white, good or bad.....  there are lots of things that involve shades of gray.   Not everything RG did was terrible. 

Of course, your mileage may vary....

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

2 things...

1) Grigson actually is currently employed by the Seahawks, I'm not 100% sure what his role is there, as I couldn't care less, but he does still work in the NFL.

he's a draft consultant for the seahawks.  and no, I'm not kidding.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

as of a year ago, only 34 of the top 100 players in the 2013 draft were still in the league (2 of them are on the Colts team currently, Simon and Hunt). and only 1 made a pro-bowl.  Hopkins on the Texans.  Yeah, that draft SUCKED

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

as of a year ago, only 34 of the top 100 players in the 2013 draft were still in the league (2 of them are on the Colts team currently, Simon and Hunt). and only 1 made a pro-bowl.  Hopkins on the Texans.  Yeah, that draft SUCKED

Im pretty sure Anzah, Lane Johnson, Rhodes, Travis Fredrick, Ertz, Kelce, and Bell have made the pro bowl.

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5740837

I'm not going to go through every round but lets look at the '14 first round.

1. Clowney - Still with Houston

2. Robinson - 5th year option declined - Now with Browns

3. Bortles - Still with Jacksonville

4. Watkins - 5th year option declined - with Chiefs

5. Mack - Still with Raiders

6. Mathews - Still with Falcons

7. Evans - Still with Bucs

8. Gilbert - Out of the NFL

9. Barr - Still with Vikings

10. Ebron - Released, with Colts now

11. Lewan - Still with Titans

12. Beckham - Still with Giants

13. Donald - Still with Rams

14. Fuller - Still with Bears

15. Shazier - Still with Steelers (Although he's career may be over.)

16. Martin - Still with Cowboys

17. Mosely - Still with Ravens

18. Pryor - Out of the NFL

19. James - Still with Dolphins

20. Cooks - Traded, now with Rams

21. Clinton-Dix - Still with Packers

22. Maziel - Out of NFL, in CFL

23. Ford - Still with Chiefs

24. Dennard - Still with Bengals

25. Verrett - Still with Chargers 

26. Smith - Released, With Seahawks

27. Bucannon - Still with Cards

28. Benjamin - Traded to Bills

29. Easley - Released, now with Rams

30. Ward - Still with 49ers

31. Roby - Still with Broncos

32. Bridgewater - 5th year option declined currently with Jets.

So 21 of 32 of the 1st round players in '14 are still with their drafting team.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im pretty sure Anzah, Lane Johnson, Rhodes, Travis Fredrick, Ertz, Kelce, and Bell have made the pro bowl.

Just going off a year old Profootbal article. Haven't verified it. Either way, less than 20 percent of those selected in 2013, are still in the league 

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5740837

Except not only are Grigson's picks from those 2 years not on the team.....almost all of them aren't even in the league at all.

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

he's a draft consultant for the seahawks.  and no, I'm not kidding.

Wow, just wow. GM of the year must look pretty good on his resume' is the

only reason I can think of why this charlatan keeps getting a job in the

draft room. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I agree, Grigson was bad enough that he may earn a spot for his name in NFL nomenclature - "Boy, Gruden really Grigsoned that draft"

I was just playing devils' advocate.  I remember the '13 and '14 drafts not having much talent to begin with anyway, but then when you let Grigson make the picks...

:dunno:

2013 wound up being awful. 2014 was okay. 

13 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Was it the first round? Because just looking at the draft, at least half of the teams still have a guy from the top 3 rounds (9 teams with 1st rounders).

Still a bad draft class. Unfortunately, that would have been somewhat irrelevant to the Colts if they had just picked Rhodes or Hopkins like everyone thought they were going to. 

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not going to go through every round but lets look at the '14 first round.

1. Clowney - Still with Houston

2. Robinson - 5th year option declined - Now with Browns

3. Bortles - Still with Jacksonville

4. Watkins - 5th year option declined - with Chiefs

5. Mack - Still with Raiders

6. Mathews - Still with Falcons

7. Evans - Still with Bucs

8. Gilbert - Out of the NFL

9. Barr - Still with Vikings

10. Ebron - Released, with Colts now

11. Lewan - Still with Titans

12. Beckham - Still with Giants

13. Donald - Still with Rams

14. Fuller - Still with Bears

15. Shazier - Still with Steelers (Although he's career may be over.)

16. Martin - Still with Cowboys

17. Mosely - Still with Ravens

18. Pryor - Out of the NFL

19. James - Still with Dolphins

20. Cooks - Traded, now with Rams

21. Clinton-Dix - Still with Packers

22. Maziel - Out of NFL, in CFL

23. Ford - Still with Chiefs

24. Dennard - Still with Bengals

25. Verrett - Still with Chargers 

26. Smith - Released, With Seahawks

27. Bucannon - Still with Cards

28. Benjamin - Traded to Bills

29. Easley - Released, now with Rams

30. Ward - Still with 49ers

31. Roby - Still with Broncos

32. Bridgewater - 5th year option declined currently with Jets.

So 21 of 32 of the 1st round players in '14 are still with their drafting team.

Next season will give us a better idea...when those rookie deals expire.  It’s a little unfair to compare any draft class that is at least 5 years removed with one that isn’t...if we are measuring them based on players being retained by their drafting teams.