Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fear of new O-line getting mislabeled

Lawrence Owen

First off, lets me say this:  I am FULLY behind our O-line taking on the new 'Tough & Nasty' persona.  I would love to see them impose their will upon opposing defensive front 7's this up-coming year.  What a contrast THAT would be as opposed to what we've seen in the Grigson/Pagano era.

However, sports history in general (especially in the NFL), have a tendency to label players or groups or even entire teams whom play 'tough and Nasty', and get into skirmishes with other teams players on a frequent basis due to playing hard and tough. (not so much unlike we have have EVERY padded practice) as "Dirty".  

This is the Biggest '4' letter word in sports. (I know it's 5 letters...)  Given That many fans around the NFL already label the Colts as 'cheaters/troublemakers', (granted the majority of those being Pats/Ravens fans) Can our organization really afford this type of negative label?

I may be off, might be overthinking things.  But when this came to mind after the 3rd straight practice with scuffles among our own players, it got me a little worried.  And then got me thinking about the consequences of that.

Personally, I hope our o-line keeps this new face and just starts plowing other teams in the run game. 250 yards rushing to Cincy week 1 behind our o-line manhandling their defensive front 7 sound like a good start...lol. (A fan can dream can't he?..lol)

So anyone else have these thoughts? Or am I just 'chasing ghost's?

14 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

First off, lets me say this:  I am FULLY behind our O-line taking on the new 'Tough & Nasty' persona.  I would love to see them impose their will upon opposing defensive front 7's this up-coming year.  What a contrast THAT would be as opposed to what we've seen in the Grigson/Pagano era.

However, sports history in general (especially in the NFL), have a tendency to label players or groups or even entire teams whom play 'tough and Nasty', and get into skirmishes with other teams players on a frequent basis due to playing hard and tough. (not so much unlike we have have EVERY padded practice) as "Dirty".  

This is the Biggest '4' letter word in sports. (I know it's 5 letters...)  Given That many fans around the NFL already label the Colts as 'cheaters/troublemakers', (granted the majority of those being Pats/Ravens fans) Can our organization really afford this type of negative label?

I may be off, might be overthinking things.  But when this came to mind after 3 3rd straight practice with scuffles among our own players, it got me a little worried.  And then got me thinking about the consequences of that.

Personally, I hope our o-line keeps this new face and just starts plowing other teams in the run game. 250 yards rushing to Cincy week 1 behind our o-line manhandling their defensive front 7 sound like a good start...lol. (A fan can dream can't he?..lol)

I would be 1000% fine with our offensive line having a reputation for being dirty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I may be off, might be overthinking things.  But when this came to mind after the 3rd straight practice with scuffles among our own players, it got me a little worried.  And then got me thinking about the consequences of that.

It might be nice to be called "nasty/dirty" instead of "SOFT" for a change. 

i really dont think we have to worry about that tho.

they arent stomping people (Suh style), or cut-blocking (Broncos style).

there is a HUGE leap from nasty/physical to "dirty", and we arent even in that zip code.  Its a non-issue , imo.

Sorry.....   but you’re chasing ghosts.

Theres no reason (yet) to worry about our OL being hit with a label of dirty.

We haven’t even played a single regular season game yet.    We haven’t even played a single pre-season game yet.

We only have a half dozen practices under our belt.    And forgive me,  Alan Iverson,  but we’re talking about practice.    I mean....   practice.   We’re talking about practice.   No need to get worked up over practice!

Odds are we’ll never hear the word “dirty.”   It’ll stop with “nasty.”    No fear at this point.    Wait until things play out.   Enjoy this time.   Live without fear.   Have fun!    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.....   but you’re chasing ghosts.

Theres no reason (yet) to worry about our OL being hit with a label of dirty.

We haven’t even played a single regular season game yet.    We haven’t even played a single pre-season game yet.

We only have a half dozen practices under our belt.    And forgive me,  Alan Iverson,  but we’re talking about practice.    I mean....   practice.   We’re talking about practice.   No need to get worked up over practice!

Odds are we’ll never hear the word “dirty.”   It’ll stop with “nasty.”    No fear at this point.    Wait until things play out.   Enjoy this time.   Live without fear.   Have fun!    

Agree with everything but I rate that AI reference haha 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If there's a laundry list of NFL DLinemen on IR at the end of the season because Nelson & Co. put them there, THEN we can start with the D-word.  (Dirty, not the other D-word)

Until then, I'm fine with the N-word.  (Nasty, not the other N-word)

I want a “nasty” team but not a “dirty” team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am amazed that folks are affected by what other people label the team as. I could care less what other fans, writers, bloggers, etc call my team. 

People called Marvin finesse. I watched him take a hit to the stomach at Husky Stadium, go to the sideline and throw up. Then one play later catch a long pass for a TD. Opinions are not facts, they are just tongue wagging. I would much rather have a team that went 12-4 and was talked about as being soft, then a 10-6 bunch of tough guys. 

Scoreboard. 

4 hours ago, Archer said:

What the heck you talkin’ ‘bout?

A lot of other teams say that Indy has pumped crown noise into the speaker systems,...all the way back to the RCA dome.  And troublemakers...well,...have you heard that a lot of nfl fans (mostly pats fans) say Indy started 'deflate gate' just to get an edge?  There are other instances,..but those two a the foremost that come to mind.

I personally say "nonsense" to such accusations. but fans believe what they want to.