Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking News: Jack Mewhort set to Retire

TKnight24

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think what you say would be true if Nelson didn't start this year but not Smith.  Mewhort started because the Colts had no one else.  I can almost guarantee that if the Colts had had an established veteran starter like Slausen, Mewhort would not have unseated him his rookie year.

There is a reason Slausen has started every game he has played... it's because he's a good guard.

I think Slausen is a good guard.  But he is a 10 yr. veteran who is 32 years old.  I think he signed a one yr. deal but I could be wrong.  Ballard is also quoted as saying Smith was the last guard on their board who they thought was a starting caliber player in their rookie year.  I think they are expecting him to take that job by the end of the year.  I think they would have expected the same of Mewhort if he had an older 10 yr. veteran in front of him.  But , like you said , he was pressed into service and did great. 

35 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, with the knee issues he's been having it's not a surprise at all.  probably did some things in the offseason and after 4 days he realized it was not going to make a difference.

Too bad, he was an excellent guard when he was healthy.

Agree it should not come as a surprise. The reporting of his condition was pretty bleak last year. The 1.5 mill contract he signed was also a good indicator. 

All in all , probably an easy decision for him to make. If he was not "most of the way " back , it's highly possible he wouldn't have made the team . It's easy to get to 9 with the depth being pretty decent and no guarantee they keep 10.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Jack Mewhort’s so soft, playing the most physical sport there is, at the most physical position, at the highest level. What a wimp. What’s he think he’s gonna need knees for anyway, standing and walking? I bet I could take him.

Typed from my iPad in my sit-down office job 

Well done.

21 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely sucks losing depth, but this isn't an Andrew type loss.

Best of luck to him going forward.

I didn't think the team was counting on him anyways. Holder is saying he wouldn't have passed another team's physical, he signed a light, incentive laden contract with no signing bonus, and then Ballard signed a veteran guard and drafted two guards in the top 40 of the draft. 

I think he was on the bubble already, and if he had to walk away a week into camp, he was obviously in significant pain, and/or his body just wouldn't perform. It's too bad, he was a good player when healthy, but degenerative knee conditions for linemen pretty much always end careers in short order. As soon as I heard about Mewhort's condition a couple years ago, it felt like he would be retiring soon.

Separate but related, it's amazing how Mewhort was the highly touted prospect in the draft, and went in the second round, while Norwell was the 'he can probably play but he's not special guy,' and went undrafted. Four years later, Norwell is the highest paid guard in league history, and Mewhort is hanging it up.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely sucks losing depth, but this isn't an Andrew type loss.

Best of luck to him going forward.

Yep.. we have been somewhat acclimated to losing linemen.  Seems like a given every single year.  Too bad for the man, and for Colts of course.  I think as others have said, they were pretty much predicting this move.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Four years later, Norwell is the highest paid guard in league history, and Mewhort is hanging it up.

So true on that part. Everyone to some extent gets to caught up with a certain guy and in hindsight it many times is a total crapshoot.

I'm happy for him. I personally wouldn't have attempted again once I heard degenerative joint.  That's a huge flag to stop and enjoy what you have.  I fail to see how anyone can be upset with this. We got a full rookie contact out of Jack with high level guard play and he can actually still walk and is leaving the game on good terms.  

Indy will be ok and I hope and pray Jack is as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

On a thread about a player retiring, we just spent a 3 pages (and counting), ranting about generational gaps, age, respecting elders, how cool twitter is, and dissecting the meaning of the term 'lol'. I don't know if I should be amazed by y'all, or disappointed. 

I'll say LOL to this whole situation. You can interpret it anyway you want. I'm sure it'll be fitting. 

Misunderstandings happen. Tempers happen.  Judginess happens too :bossy:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Also as was said earlier,  Colts now left with 0 players from either the 2013 or 2014 drafts. And only Geathers and Good left from the 2015 drafts. Both decent players, and both working through injury.

And only Luck and TY from 2012.  That's 4 players from 4 drafts, and only 1 first rounder.  Just about closes the book on Grigson's drafting.  Waiting to see how 2016 turns out.

3 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

yeah because what he said was funny I wasn’t belittling him like you do because someone doesn’t care about grammar in a colts forum..... last reply to you have a good day sir

Just wanted to say that I certainly did not intend to belittle you in anyway. My apologies. That is as opposite to who I am as it can get. I will defend something I feel strongly about. I used spelling and grammar as an example of things that shouldn't need explaining, a line you used, but I was not trying to belittle you for your spelling or grammar. 

I genuinely wish you a good day as well. In the end, we are all Colts fans. 

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

Pretty sure that's a "wave" emoji

:)

Darn it, my pesky mouse is at it again.  Whenever I hover over the emoji with the cursor a description balloon pops up with "High Five" …. no worries.  I didn't believe it either.  Doesn't really matter anyway ...:)

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Autocorrect and on phone plus Only type with one hand

I wasn't criticizing, it just made me laugh that almost everyone was sharing the same sentiment, but were oblivious to  the fact that they agreed, based on terminology. I thought maybe you went Nostradamus and saw what was coming later in the thread. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

though i don’t answer to you but i’ll go ahead and scratch your itch...  millennials use “lol” for more than its literal meaning in this case it was more of a “of course” or a salty feeling

That's how I took it, too. As a matter of fact, it was my exact reaction and what I was going to write after reading it lol. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bshultz said:

I wasn't criticizing, it just made me laugh that almost everyone was sharing the same sentiment, but were oblivious to  the fact that they agreed, based on terminology. I thought maybe you went Nostradamus and saw what was coming later in the thread. 

In the future it may be best to give a full explanation along with your comment.  That way, everyone knows exactly what you mean and there is no confusion ..    :sarcasm:   .... sorry, I had to 

25 minutes ago, Bshultz said:

It is fine

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Oh Dear God... 

I actually find comfort in statements like this because when a trusted regular like JS says a familiar standby I've grown accustom to over the yrs...I know we are right on cusp of quality football again. Nice.

Jack thanks for being the professional you always were for us & I hope this move is what you really wanted at this juncture in your life. Good luck in whatever endeavor you decide to pursue next.

Now, if Princeton Tiger can just say "Everything will be okay," the NFL season can officially start. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I actually find comfort in statements like this because when a trusted regular like JS says a familiar standby I've grown accustom to over the yrs...I know we are right on cusp of quality football again. Nice.

Jack thanks for being the professional you always were for us & I hope this move is what you really wanted at this juncture in your life. Good luck in whatever endeavor you decide to pursue next.

Now, if Princeton Tiger can just say "Everything will be okay," the NFL season can officially start. :D

Everything Will Be Okay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Everything Will Be Okay

There it is...Ah yes, I will sleep like a baby tonight now. I appreciate that PT. Thank you.

BTW: I wasn't really making fun of MarquisJ either. Who I know is a good guy. Thanks for playing along with my shenanigans everybody. I like familiar banter like this when the gang is back together again & excited about a new season of possibilities for INDY & the league in general.

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

...... I don’t think wanting to be able to walk from Age 26 to whenever you leave this earth is considered soft but okay 

Knee problems are no joke. Knee problems for guys 300lbs+ are probably no joke either 

I blew out my knee in 2008 while on Patrol in Iraq getting off a HUMVEE, been paying for it ever since with daily pain and in the last 6 months, an audible grinding sound whenever theres weight on it and I bend. Glad Mewhort is getting this taken care of now as a 26 year old vs 34 year old like myself. Theres far little more joyous than playing with your kids, and its been an internal debate every time I want to get on the floor with my 3 year old, knowing the pain it'll cause.

Good on Jack for retiring when he did to get things fixed

Great on Ballard for drafting two of last years All American guards

While Jack figured into the depth of the O-Line, we at least still have depth there within the line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

though i don’t answer to you but i’ll go ahead and scratch your itch...  millennials use “lol” for more than its literal meaning in this case it was more of a “of course” or a salty feeling

Hmmm,  not buying this.   Just own the nonsense and move on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Separate but related, it's amazing how Mewhort was the highly touted prospect in the draft, and went in the second round, while Norwell was the 'he can probably play but he's not special guy,' and went undrafted. Four years later, Norwell is the highest paid guard in league history, and Mewhort is hanging it up.

An inexact science indeed. 

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

No you are right PT, we are NOT all the same.  Clearly, many people need things explained in great detail.  I will leave it there.  

I agree. Clarification is always a necessity to me. Yes, I know. Long winded is my middle name.

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

No kidding.  My knees are trashed (facing surgery next month) and things that used to be every day task like taking two steps down off my porch are something I try to avoid these days.  I can't imagine being his size and having the same issues, his are probably worse.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery BR-549. Knee issues are the worst. Hang in there.

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I guess that is the problem with us geezers.

Boy, I'll tell you - these kids today.

To quote 1 of my History professors, "Age & treachery win over youth & skill." Dr. Lundeen was hysterical. I wish he was still around. Another story for another day.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

That is how I see it.   I was confused when I seen it used earlier in this thread.   The only time my daughters (20 and 15) text lol is when something amusing is said.  

Bingo! That's exactly how I interpreted what was said too. It literally means laugh out loud. Hard to construe that statement as anything else unless a person just meant mounting knee issues made Jack's departure mandatory now.

We're all friends here so, I will just let it go & look at the situation in the best possible light meaning that MarquisJ meant nothing malicious by it. Water under the proverbial bridge.

• Like 2