Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking News: Jack Mewhort set to Retire

TKnight24

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I'm not surprised by this his knee never got right

Right... I am like others in that I WAS surprised he didn't retire prior to the season.  Guess its that burning desire to compete and love for the game that made him keep coming back

• Like 1

One of the few quality draft picks from the previous management. He was on a  pro-bowl trajectory after his first two seasons. Too bad his health didn't cooperate.

It also feels like this was an option and Ballard knew it was an option when he signed him to his contract. He was too good to not get better offers if his health was improving. Holder is saying that rumors are that he probably wouldn't have passed a physical for another team and the Colts were his only option to try to come back after the last two injury riddled years. 

Now Braden Smith comes one step closer to starting in the league. I wouldn't mind it if he progresses to the point where he forces Slausen to the bench by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

One of the few quality draft picks from the previous management. He was on a  pro-bowl trajectory after his first two seasons. Too bad his health didn't cooperate.

It also feels like this was an option and Ballard knew it was an option when he signed him to his contract. He was too good to not get better offers if his health was improving. Holder is saying that rumors are that he probably wouldn't have passed a physical for another team and the Colts were his only option to try to come back after the last two injury riddled years. 

Now Braden Smith comes one step closer to starting in the league. I wouldn't mind it if he progresses to the point where he forces Slausen to the bench by the end of the year. 

Rick Venturi seems to think it will happen ..... if that has any merit

Just now, BR-549 said:

Rick Venturi seems to think it will happen ..... if that has any merit

I mean we drafted him with a high second. That's for a guard... he should be pretty damn good, especially on a line that hasn't been great he should be close to starting from day 1 IMO. I was not a fan(for the draft slot) and had multiple other linemen ahead of him available at the spot, but Ballard obviously thought much higher of him. Now lets see if he justifies his draft slot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I mean we drafted him with a high second. That's for a guard... he should be pretty damn good, especially on a line that hasn't been great he should be close to starting from day 1 IMO. I was not a fan(for the draft slot) and had multiple other linemen ahead of him available at the spot, but Ballard obviously thought much higher of him. Now lets see if he justifies his draft slot. 

Well said!  RV has talked pretty extensively about his talent level with JMV, DD and everyone else, lol.  Anyway, I wasn't a fan either but it grew on me the more I thought about how bad our line has been the past decade I guess.  So, the good thing is once the OL is put together it usually last for a while and allows us to draft skill positions for several drafts in the near future.... not rocket science I guess... just get the right people to do the right jobs right.... right?

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Why all the heat for the younger generation?

I can only speak for myself, but I will try to explain it as best that I can. All generations disregard their elders to a certain degree as a whole. I did this when I was young, but I came to realize in my twenties, that they knew a great deal more than me, and basically, I grew up and began to learn from those very people. For whatever reason, this young generation has for the most part, decided to view anyone who doesn't wield a cell phone like a sword, as essentially lacking... beyond help. 

What saddens me, and sometimes get my neck hairs up, is to witness the disregard for others feelings, as if whatever posted by a phone on a message board is no big deal. Like it's ok to diss, no big deal. But if anyone disagrees with that, those younger folks and their phones get amazingly hurt. And they fight back with their sword...the cell phone. 

Why is it ok to diss a player, yet it's not ok to question that dissing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

Thanks man I sometimes forget this forum is more of the ages 40-60 

I’m a 48 year old and I took it for what you meant. I use the term FML or FMW in the same terms as the sarcastic lol, meaning and of course it happens that way. You are ok millennial lol :excited:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Hey! We’re not all bad 

I do good with the updates around here :thmup:

Been meaning to thank you for doing the updates...…(And not that it matters but I was born in 1953 )….Thanx again . Best of luck to you Jack and GO COLTS !!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m a 48 year old and I took it for what you meant. I use the term FML or FMW in the same terms as the sarcastic lol, meaning and of course it happens that way. You are ok millennial lol :excited:

Haha same but Thank you sir!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

He's a bust. Plain and simple. Injuries count towards being a bust. 

No.    Just the latest example of how little you know about sports.   

Injuries DO NOT COUNT toward someone being a bust.   Injuries are mostly out of a players control.

Mewhort played well when he could.  That is not being a bust.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm sure that's the plan with Smith.  I think Mewhort  started as a 2nd. rounder.  If Smith can't overtake Slausen  this year I think Ballard will question his own pick.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.    Just the latest example of how little you know about sports.   

Injuries DO NOT COUNT toward someone being a bust.   Injuries are mostly out of a players control.

Mewhort played well when he could.  That is not being a bust.

I was really excited when he was drafted... he pretty much lived up to his stock as far as I am concerned.... just unfortunate how things turned out.  Definitely out of his control and when he was able to play he played well for the most part.  Too bad for Jack

• Like 1

I think the term 'lol' as a response to this news should be taken as an expression of exasperation meaning 'seriously?' Or as Bill Polian once said 'Sounds like the usual likely story to me'

Or intending sarcasm such as 'lol, Mewhort is retiring' or meaning it's funny that we have such bad luck as in (Lack of Laughter)

i don't think it needs to start an inter-generational brawl

However, sometimes people on this board will just post 'lol' when they have nothing to contribute so, they just post that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

From Google....

Lol is an acronym of laugh out loud. It can be used as an interjection and a verb. Lol is one of the most common slang terms in electronic communications. Even though it means laugh out loud, lol is mostly used to indicate smiling or slight amusement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Hey! We’re not all bad 

I do good with the updates around here :thmup:

Goodness and badness have nothing to do with age.  I would say it's evenly distributed across all generations.

You're updates though, people look for you when you are not here! :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well it's better than the I.R. which he was destined for if he didn't retire. There was talk of him retiring last season. I was surprised he actually was resigned. Him not being available in 2018 is not surprising at all.

Yeah, with the knee issues he's been having it's not a surprise at all.  probably did some things in the offseason and after 4 days he realized it was not going to make a difference.

Too bad, he was an excellent guard when he was healthy.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

From Google....

Lol is an acronym of laugh out loud. It can be used as an interjection and a verb. Lol is one of the most common slang terms in electronic communications. Even though it means laugh out loud, lol is mostly used to indicate smiling or slight amusement.

My mother in law thought it meant, "Lots of Love".  So it was a bit awkward when someone texted her that a family member had dies and she replied with.  "I'm sorry to hear that, LOL."

True story BTW.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I think the term 'lol' as a response to this news should be taken as an expression of exasperation meaning 'seriously?' Or as Bill Polian once said 'Sounds like the usual likely story to me'

Or intending sarcasm such as 'lol, Mewhort is retiring' or meaning it's funny that we have such bad luck as in (Lack of Laughter)

i don't think it needs to start an inter-generational brawl

However, sometimes people on this board will just post 'lol' when they have nothing to contribute so, they just post that. 

well put

Like...this forum boggles my mind sometimes.

On a thread about a player retiring, we just spent a 3 pages (and counting), ranting about generational gaps, age, respecting elders, how cool twitter is, and dissecting the meaning of the term 'lol'. I don't know if I should be amazed by y'all, or disappointed. 

I'll say LOL to this whole situation. You can interpret it anyway you want. I'm sure it'll be fitting. 

But regarding JM, he's a warrior and a soldier and it sucks to see him go. This sheds more light into why the Colts were so emphatically willing to double down on guards in the draft. Time to step up Slauson and Smith. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First off. This is sad news for colts fans.  But honestly, iI don't think he would have retired if he he he could still be beneficial to the team.  $20 says the last couple padded 'contact' practices showed him that he was currently outmatched by multiple guards on the team.  He may have stayed had Indy not drafted Nelson/Smith and hired Slausson. But he probably feels better about walking away know the interior is in good hands.  I wish him the best.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm sure that's the plan with Smith.  I think Mewhort  started as a 2nd. rounder.  If Smith can't overtake Slausen  this year I think Ballard will question his own pick.  

I think what you say would be true if Nelson didn't start this year but not Smith.  Mewhort started because the Colts had no one else.  I can almost guarantee that if the Colts had had an established veteran starter like Slausen, Mewhort would not have unseated him his rookie year.

There is a reason Slausen has started every game he has played... it's because he's a good guard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

From Google....

That is how I see it.   I was confused when I seen it used earlier in this thread.   The only time my daughters (20 and 15) text lol is when something amusing is said.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Like...this forum boggles my mind sometimes.

On a thread about a player retiring, we just spent a 3 pages (and counting), ranting about generational gaps, age, respecting elders, how cool twitter is, and dissecting the meaning of the term 'lol'. I don't know if I should be amazed by y'all, or disappointed. 

I'll say LOL to this whole situation. You can interpret it anyway you want. I'm sure it'll be fitting. 

But regarding JM, he's a warrior and a soldier and it sucks to see him go. This sheds more light into why the Colts were so emphatically willing to double down on guards in the draft. Time to step up Slauson and Smith. 

This sort of phenomenon tends to happen on open forums ... :highfive2: (that is a "high five" emoji by the way... not to be confused with the sarcasm emoji)

Jack Mewhort’s so soft, playing the most physical sport there is, at the most physical position, at the highest level. What a wimp. What’s he think he’s gonna need knees for anyway, standing and walking? I bet I could take him.

Typed from my iPad in my sit-down office job 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pro Footballrumors.com ( lately ) has felt good about Colts OL depth. (From their article on Mewhort's retiring ) >>>>> However, the Colts did not bank on his health as they added guards Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith in the first two rounds of the draft. The club also has new interior lineman Matt Slauson in the mix for depth, so they won’t necessarily have to go shopping for offensive line health.

• Thanks 1