Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking News: Jack Mewhort set to Retire

TKnight24

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.   And this is in part why Ryan Grigson is no longer our GM.

And now we watch as the 2015 and 16 classes sinks or swims....

Who’s even left from the 2015 class? Just Geathers right?

But sad news for Mewhort. It always sucks when guys that young have their dreams cut short. He’ll rise past this though. There is life after football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well looks like smith gets to have a shot at starting right away. Sucks for jack was a good guard when healthy.

I don’t think this is true.  Mewhort was not a projected starter for 2018.

Smith is still on the 2nd team behind Matt Slauson who appears to be having a very good camp.    It appears Smith still has a ways to go.   How long before he’s first string is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think this is true.  Mewhort was not a projected starter for 2018.

Smith is still on the 2nd team behind Matt Slauson who appears to be having a very good camp.    It appears Smith still has a ways to go.   How long before he’s first string is anyone's guess.

I believe Jack has been playing AC's LT while hes out.  AC will be back, and other Tackles would play ahead of Jack once the season begins.

23 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I believe Jack has been playing AC's LT while hes out.  AC will be back, and other Tackles would play ahead of Jack once the season begins.

I’m sorry...  you lost me.  I’m confused.

Jack has been playing some 2nd string LT while AC is out.   But what does that have to do with Smith and Slauson?

Jack retired today.   AC returned today.

How does that relate to the battle between Slauson and Smith?

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m sorry...  you lost me.  I’m confused.

Jack has been playing some 2nd string LT whike AC is out.   But what does that have to do with Smith and Slauson?

Jack retired today.   AC returned today.

How does that relate to the battle between Slauson and Smith?

People on here posted that Jack was battling Smith for starting time, and Jack wasn't even playing the same position this week.  Some said Slauson will play tackle. Many in other threads project Smith at RT. Slauson will start at guard, and if anyone can play all year, it's Slauson.

At least how I figure it. I dont follow training camp, or much of preseason. Just read this forum every week or so.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well looks like smith gets to have a shot at starting right away. Sucks for jack was a good guard when healthy.

False 

Starting Offensive Line right now is 

LT: Castonzo 

LG: Nelson

C: Kelly

RG: Slauson 

RT: Howard 

Thats the line for now unless someone is injured or a backup knocks the coaches socks off and takes the starting job. But that’s the first team line they’ve run in Minicamp and today now that everyone was healthy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

RT: Howar

The two on the right side are definitely the question marks.

I kind of feel like I know what we'll get from Slauson from the few games I've seen of him over the years.

I can't lie, I know nothing of Howard. He's the one that scares me more obviously because a bad T can get your QB killed even if it's not on his blindside.

15 minutes ago, IinD said:

The two on the right side are definitely the question marks.

I kind of feel like I know what we'll get from Slauson from the few games I've seen of him over the years.

I can't lie, I know nothing of Howard. He's the one that scares me more obviously because a bad T can get your QB killed even if it's not on his blindside.

What I like about it is that some of the guys can focus on one position group and will not be thrown to the wolves

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What I like about it is that some of the guys can focus on one position group and will not be thrown to the wolves

That's true. It's been way to 'musical chairs' for many spots lately.

39 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

False 

Starting Offensive Line right now is 

RT: Howard 

Thats the line for now unless someone is injured or a backup knocks the coaches socks off and takes the starting job. But that’s the first team line they’ve run in Minicamp and today now that everyone was healthy

I said he had a shot to start he could if an injury happens or slauson shows his age.

Yeah could see this coming if I’m honest. 

Knee defect and two straight season ending knee injuries. And he wasn’t likely to be a starter with Nelson taking his spot at LG.

Good for him for going out on his terms. Wish him the best. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You continue to say Mewhort is soft without offering a single bit of proof.

Getting hurt is not a sign of being soft.  Especially for a lineman.

Good for you that you don’t care about the opinions of other people here.  But when all you do is offer an opinion and act like fact, that’s not going to get you far.

Agree 100% on Mewhort, but to be honest, i can think of one person specifically who got pretty far by doing just that ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Soft? The guy worked through some pretty intense pain and from everyone that knows him, a class act. 

He was “when healthy” an above average guard and could have won the starting job if he didn’t have the knee injuries.

I wish him well.

Soft is not the word I would use for a guy like JM.

A degenerative knee condition is a crippling injury. Before my micro-fracture surgery it felt like a lightning bolt of pain when contact was made and my leg was pushing forward. Post surgery it became very obvious that full power was never going to happen again. You rehab and try again and you repeat the cycle. Ultimately you can't play any sports that require leg strength and power. Jack powered through as long as he could. If you want an example of the pain. Find your power drill. Put a 1/2" bit in it. Then drill it into your knee.

God bless you Jack, you gave all you had for us. Your efforts are much appreciated by many in Colts Nation. Now go have a few beers and soften up the belly for awhile.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

though i don’t answer to you but i’ll go ahead and scratch your itch...  millennials use “lol” for more than its literal meaning in this case it was more of a “of course” or a salty feeling

As a fellow millennial, I will confirm that this is not true... lol means you're laughing at something. At the very most it is a casual affirmation of a comment that a friend made in jest or as a joke. It is not used as "of course" or as a salty feeling... especially not in this context.

I'm not saying you didn't use it or mean it in that way, but that's not the right way of using "lol" and you will continue to bewilder people if you keep doing that.

37 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

*Breaking News*  

Jack Mewhort retires.

This forum - Let's discuss the etymology of the acronym "lol."

Makes sense...

I feel I am diverting the thread again, but........

If my wife texted me and said she got fired, it would not be wise for me to text back "LOL".  

If someone dies, I should not reply "LOL".

If someone retires because of bad knees, it is not good to reply "LOL".

If your child breaks a bone, don't reply "LOL".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I feel I am diverting the thread again, but........

If my wife texted me and said she got fired, it would not be wise for me to text back "LOL".  

If someone dies, I should not reply "LOL".

If someone retires because of bad knees, it is not good to reply "LOL".

If your child breaks a bone, don't reply "LOL".

I agree with this but I think in Marques case, he Posted "LOL" meaning it freaking figures that is our luck when it comes to the O.line.

• Like 2