Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/1/2018

TKnight24

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Honestly if this defense is as bad as what they are talking about the 3-4 defense was better than this.

Lol no, just no 

It’s no way any defense the Colts put on the field this season can be worse than that 3-4 

Jabaal Sheard in coverage against Delanie Walker should never happen 

Antonio Morrison in space or tackling his own teammates 

May not be the best defense, but it won’t be the worst. Glad that 3-4 Defense & Pagano are gone 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

It's so refreshing that we're shedding that finesse brand that this team has embodied stretching all the way back to the Manning era. It might take a couple of years to fully materialize, but just knowing that we won't be bullied anymore will make it worth the wait.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

this is definitely not gonna be your same ol colts. Ballard wanted a hard nose kick your butt football team and that is what we might just get 

Well, at least in the offense, yeah.  The defense...not so much.  Seems like they still have some adjustments to make.  Hopefully "the Eber" will right his side of the ball before the season starts.  They do have some young talent.

15 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How's Kemoko Turay progressing? Haven't heard much about him in camp. Really want him to pan out so we can finally get back at terrorizing opposing QBs. 

I've seen a few positive things about him thus far, but it's really tough to say since they're not actually allowed to hit the QB. I don't think we'll have a clear picture on pass rush until the season begins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I've seen a few positive things about him thus far, but it's really tough to say since they're not actually allowed to hit the QB. I don't think we'll have a clear picture on pass rush until the season begins.

I can't wait until the first preseason game to get some eyes on these young guys.

• Like 2

I mean, our offensive personnel IS ahead of where our defensive talent is. Plus, we got a brilliant offensive mind as our coach, so it makes sense that the offense is stealing the defenses lunch money right now.

Lots of rookies and second year guys on this defense. Once we get Hooker and Geathers back, I think they will be a lot better. Plus, once guys like Leonard, Lewis, Turay and co start getting their feet wet, they should be better. Need second year players like Basham and Quincy to step up a bit.

Considering the QBs we face in the first 5 weeks this season (Smith, Wentz, Watson, Brady), don't be surprised if the D gets roughed up a bit. I'll start being discouraged if its November and we're still seeing the same errors and problems that they are battling through right now. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How's Kemoko Turay progressing? Haven't heard much about him in camp. Really want him to pan out so we can finally get back at terrorizing opposing QBs. 

He’s doing well. Won’t see much from the defensive line guys until next Thursday against Seattle 

They can’t hit the QB. But a few videos and pictures I’ve seen people have been in the backfield but they just have to stand there and watch the play go 

Once we see Russell Wilson next Thursday we’ll see how the defensive line does

• Like 2

Interestingly, I recall that in years past, it was the defense that dominated the offense early in camp.  Thought being that it took the offense awhile to gel.  Double edged sword this year is indeed a concern, but I love that the offense seems to be rocking and rolling!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Interestingly, I recall that in years past, it was the defense that dominated the offense early in camp.  Thought being that it took the offense awhile to gel.  Double edged sword this year is indeed a concern, but I love that the offense seems to be rocking and rolling!

I would say this is a major concern......  for our defense.... 

This is a much simpler defense, and you would expect that the defense would be AHEAD of the offense (at this point) due to the simplicity.

This offense has new RBs, New WRs, a rusty QB, 3 new OL, new TE

It SHOULD be behind...... but ufortunately, I think our defense is that bad

Man.... I have to get off the caffiene.....  

:)

I think we'll find out soon enough that what's going on is a testimony to our offense and not as bad as it looks for our defense. This isn't the same soft butt line we have been used to seeing. Those 3 big uglies in the middle are going to bully defenders around, take that to the bank

• Like 3

Let's see:

A new Defensive Coordinator

A new defensive scheme

A projected fron 4 with only one starter from last year

A projected LB corps with no one that started last year

a DB that has one starter from last year.

With all that, if the defensive wasn't struggling against offensive units that are way more experience across the board, I would not believe the reports.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some quick things from what I was seeing today.

First, there is a huge, I mean huge drop off in first team o-line vs 2nd team. 1st team there was very little penetration and luck had a pretty clean pocket. 2nd team was letting alot through. 

Autry had some good push and turray was getting first team snaps while it appeared Basham was taking 2nd team reps.

It is looking like the colts may really have a run game this year. Mack was starting but Wilkins got alot of snaps with the first team and Hines did as well. I will definitely agree Wilkins is a very smooth looking runner. Mack is looking very physical this year and very excited for him.

Cain is what the hype is about. Saw him drop a pass then went to the sidelines and did push ups. Grant's routes appear to be very crisp. Hogan is looking very good this year and took some reps with the first team. As of now the top receivers in my eyes after watching practice were t.y, Roger's, grant, cain, hogan, fountain, brent and then kind of the rest. I was hoping too see alot of Ishmael but I didnt.

I like the pairing of moore and Leonard if Walker is out, the Skai is the limit for the tandem. The other Lb didnt really stand out much too me and I really didnt get a clear look at the d-line.

Any questions I'd be glad to answer to the best of my ability. It was cool too see reggie in TC again and it was cool being at the facility and being no more then 10 yards away from Chris Ballard

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Even just aside from Luck and Reich's obvious QB connection it seems like their personalities would mesh so well. Both seems easy going, friendly, really smart. Especially when you consider just how different from them a certain coordinator in New Englad seems, kind of abrasive, among other things.

Josh Mc*bag did us a MAJOR favor by backing out.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  I still can't believe we haven't added Breeland to our team.  He's not going to kill our cap and he's a young veteran who can start immediately.   He knows it and Ballard knows it.  What's so hard about splitting the difference and getting him into camp.  CB is an area that needs to be upgraded and a solution is right in front of us.  I hope another team doesn't have a CB injury and pounces on him.  We had Wilson go out for awhile today ourselves.  Come on Chris make my day.  

You can lead a horse to water, but ...........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

This is going to be one feisty and tough team. Practice how you play! Love all the aggression, this is football baby!! I'm sooooo fricken excited!!

Another part of the process that was said was going to take place.  Feist and tough practices brought over from KC...... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Lol no, just no 

It’s no way any defense the Colts put on the field this season can be worse than that 3-4 

Jabaal Sheard in coverage against Delanie Walker should never happen 

Antonio Morrison in space or tackling his own teammates 

May not be the best defense, but it won’t be the worst. Glad that 3-4 Defense & Pagano are gone 

I agree about Pagano  he was terrible but I hope this defense isn't as bad as what they are saying.

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Those are fighting words!

Seriously though, didnt  tom cruise go there for like a minute? Or is that just SUNY myth?

Haha. LI shout-out.

They don't even have football there so you definitely win. It was the SUNY part I had to react to as a fellow SUNY'er. 

They have a huge list of famous actors who went there not sure if he did. 

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

Haha. LI shout-out.

They don't even have football there so you definitely win. It was the SUNY part I had to react to as a fellow SUNY'er. 

They have a huge list of famous actors who went there not sure if he did. 

Much appreciated!  I’m sure these hoosiers (and others) don’t want to hear about two long islanders talk about the SUNY system!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would say this is a major concern......  for our defense.... 

This is a much simpler defense, and you would expect that the defense would be AHEAD of the offense (at this point) due to the simplicity.

This offense has new RBs, New WRs, a rusty QB, 3 new OL, new TE

It SHOULD be behind...... but ufortunately, I think our defense is that bad

Man.... I have to get off the caffiene.....  

:)

Yeah, there is nothing "new" going on with the defense either, is there?  Only the offense.

I think most are putting too much into what is being done at camp. The coaches are still teaching and the players are not playing anything close to a game plan.  All these camps are being recorded and the tapes will be studied by the coaches. It's more individual players that are being looked at and not so much as what they are doing as a team. 

We all have to curb our expectations for a lot of various reasons. Like it or not this team is right in the middle of a rebuild and it will take time for this team to find the right players in the right positions. As void of talent this team had last year especially at depth will take more time than what we really have.

A work in progress is where this team is at.