Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts got the draft's best player at #6

Pacergeek

Nelson might already be the NFL's best Guard, if not the top offensive lineman overall. If he isn't already, he will be there very soon. Can't believe he fell into our lap at pick 6. Refreshing to know that we have a GM taking advantage of other GM's stupidity. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Nelson might already be the NFL's best Guard, if not the top offensive lineman overall. If he isn't already, he will be there very soon. Can't believe he fell into our lap at pick 6. Refreshing to know that we have a GM taking advantage of other GM's stupidity. 

Tj green pushes Nelson and Nelson doesnt move

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I’d be willing to bet everything that he will not be the best player in this draft class. 

1. define EVERYTHING? 

2. How would one confirm " best player" anyways? 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I would be happy if he is the best guard on this team.

We'll know that soon enough. 

Pretty fair assessment. I think Nelson will be great though. Especially when he can control his "holding" (atleast this is what i see when I watch him)

6 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

A tad premature 

• Like 2

Nelson 

39 minutes ago, Lef said:

I am with the op. Nelson is special. Maybe not the best guard in nfl right now, but I am predicting pro bowl as a rookie. 

I think Nelson easily makes All Pro this year. This guy is a bully, and will intimidate defenses.  He is known to violently body slam defenders. Think N Suh without the dirty plays. You come at Q softly, and he will make you pay.  I cannot recall a lineman with this particular skill set. He doesn't talk about doing it, he does it.  Q will also elevate the play of the other offensive lineman. They will not want to be shown up by a rookie

• Like 1

No one is sure he is the best player in this year's draft, certainly don't know his status in the league... but one thing is for certain, he was the best player for the Colts this draft. Period. 

He single handedly is changing how this team conducts themselves in practice. He single handedly makes this offensive line better and meaner. 

With the change in offensive philosophy with quick release throws, and a better emphasis on the run game (better in the sense that we will take what the defense gives and not force Frank Gore up the middle with a stacked defense), drafting Nelson was the best complimentary move this offseason for any team, in my opinion. The fact that we got 3 second round picks AND Nelson is hard to argue that statement. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

"Best guard in the NFL (who has never played a snap in the NFL)".

I am just a wee bit perplexed regarding the OP's stance on this. It's ok to dream I suppose.

This high praise from the OP does seem a bit premature.  Might be good to see him actually in a pre-season game or actual regular season game before such praise is merited.

• Like 1

A bit early to be saying he's the best guard in the league when he's only had 2 NFL full pad practices.

HOWEVER, it's hard not to see the tone he's setting and what he's capable of. There's a nastiness to his game that this OL hasn't had in years. The future is VERY bright though and I'm excited about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Id pump the brake on him being the best. I do believe by year 2 or 3 he will one of the best. I do believe he could be the best player to be picked out of this class but way to early to claim that. What i do love about this though is Ballard traded 3 spots down, got Nelson and picked up 3 2nd round picks. That was killer! Just hoping the players pan out.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Saquon Barkley definitely was the best player in the draft, that was the general census around the league/world 

In 5 years, Barkley will either be a shell of himself, or be out of football due to injures. Nelson will still be dominant. This is why I like Nelson over Barkley. RB's don't last very long

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

In 5 years, Barkley will either be a shell of himself, or be out of football due to injures. Nelson will still be dominant. This is why I like Nelson over Barkley. RB's don't last very long

That’s a fair take. Just saying the best player was Barkley. Doesn’t mean he’ll have the best career or anything. Just on that night, the majority of folks pegged Barkley as the best player 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I’d be willing to bet everything that he will not be the best player in this draft class. 

This isn’t basketball, it’s football.

If you ask most football fans for a list of the best players ever, it would be interesting to see how highly guys like Munoz and Pace would get listed in comparison to QBs, RBs, WRs, LBs, DBs, and DEs.

I’m sure that players like Barkley, Chubb, Mayfield, etal will always garner more headlines than players like Nelson and McGlinchey.

But don’t mistake that for which players are making the biggest positive impact on their respective teams.

OLs get almost no attention.  But Colts fans, in particular, should know just how critical they actually are. 

Don’t like to use the “best” label because you can’t compare apples to oranges: Nelson is a guard. Chubb a defensive end and Barkley a RB. 

If you want to crown him the best guard in the draft, I would agree although I would have been okay with Hernandez, Chubb or Ward if Nelson wasn’t there. 

Bottom line is; he still has to prove himself but I agree he is influencing his teammates positively.

That first sentence made me think this was a parody. Nelson looks legit...but it's way too early to say those types of things. And it's going to be even longer before you could say he was the best player in this draft. 

I would...however...say he is probably the most unique player in this draft.

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Nelson 

I think Nelson easily makes All Pro this year. This guy is a bully, and will intimidate defenses.  He is known to violently body slam defenders. Think N Suh without the dirty plays. You come at Q softly, and he will make you pay.  I cannot recall a lineman with this particular skill set. He doesn't talk about doing it, he does it.  Q will also elevate the play of the other offensive lineman. They will not want to be shown up by a rookie

He's still going to have to use talent & technique at nfl level. He's now going up against other Big Strong nfl players. He no longer can bully around smaller weaker college kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He's still going to have to use talent & technique at nfl level. He's now going up against other Big Strong nfl players. He no longer can bully around smaller weaker college kids.

Hey ljpalmbeacher2 I have always liked your style . But  dude I know you are bigger than this . I know you  have a great desire for the Colts to achieve greatness. but keep a open mind  don't let the  unknow  define your opinions. We are all at the  mercy of what develops    as the season goes on.  Lets just see what this season brings, and keep a positive  attitude  and  judge  it after the season is over. 

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Hey ljpalmbeacher2 I have always liked your style . But  dude I know you are bigger than this . I know you  have a great desire for the Colts to achieve greatness. but keep a open mind  don't let the  unknow  define your opinions. We are all at the  mercy of what develops    as the season goes on.  Lets just see what this season brings, and keep a positive  attitude  and  judge  it after the season is over. 

Lol. I think nelson can be everythinh he supposed to be. But he not going to toss opposing lineman around as easily in nfl as he did on college. Nfl defensive lineman are big too. He will probably need to refine his skills as most rookies do. And not going to put him in hall of fame after 3 practices.

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Lol. I think nelson can be everythinh he supposed to be. But he not going to toss opposing lineman around as easily in nfl as he did on college. Nfl defensive lineman are big too. He will probably need to refine his skills as most rookies do. And not going to put him in hall of fame after 3 practices.

Hey a beast in college can transfer over to pros, look at the rams pick in Orlando Pace in college

It worked in the pros too.  just saying..

While I'm high on Nelson and in retrospect of the first round I concede Ballard knew what he was doing more so than me. But what is this forum going to say if someone like say Roquan Smith becomes the best linebacker in the NFL? And let's say Nelson doesn't translate to be this once in a lifetime guard but more of just a good one? 

Just food for thought.