Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Department

mirobi48

Early observations I see with the rookies is that they're definitely physical freaks. Not saying our guys were wimps prior, but the organization seems to be drafting like a team like Seattle did for a while a few years back. Big time measurables, even if the production in college wasn't there.

• Like 1

Its early to grade our rookies (even our sophomores) I think.

But regarding the scouting department - and Ballard -, my impression so far is that Ballard has a knack of finding the right players for the right spot. He impressed me last year very much. He brough in a bunch of "nobodies", and made them serviceable pieces. He feels what the coaching staff needs. He felt what Pagano's scheme needed (and he found the right guys even witch tight budget). And I think he feels even better what kind of players this new staff needs, because this scheme/playing style/types of players are much closer to what he believes in deep in his heart.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 1:20 PM, IinD said:

Early observations I see with the rookies is that they're definitely physical freaks. Not saying our guys were wimps prior, but the organization seems to be drafting like a team like Seattle did for a while a few years back. Big time measurables, even if the production in college wasn't there.

Outside of a few guys they were pretty much wimps... or they took on the persona of a coach, who on the football field as a coach was a wimp.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:18 PM, Peterk2011 said:

Its early to grade our rookies (even our sophomores) I think.

But regarding the scouting department - and Ballard -, my impression so far is that Ballard has a knack of finding the right players for the right spot. He impressed me last year very much. He brough in a bunch of "nobodies", and made them serviceable pieces. He feels what the coaching staff needs. He felt what Pagano's scheme needed (and he found the right guys even witch tight budget). And I think he feels even better what kind of players this new staff needs, because this scheme/playing style/types of players are much closer to what he believes in deep in his heart.

I would diasagree wish they statement he found what Pagano needed.  Maybe one or two players for the defense but, you look at his draft and he had this defensive switch in mind.  Cover 2 defense needs a rangey safety (hooker), pass rusher (Basham), bugger zone corners (Wilson).  Two of those guys didn’t play much because they didn’t fit the system.  And the one or two guys he found for paganos system were 1-2 year contracts that he could cut with minimal relief.  Both of his drafts on defense have been about this switch.

7 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I would diasagree wish they statement he found what Pagano needed.  Maybe one or two players for the defense but, you look at his draft and he had this defensive switch in mind.  Cover 2 defense needs a rangey safety (hooker), pass rusher (Basham), bugger zone corners (Wilson).  Two of those guys didn’t play much because they didn’t fit the system.  And the one or two guys he found for paganos system were 1-2 year contracts that he could cut with minimal relief.  Both of his drafts on defense have been about this switch.

The ideal role for Hooker would be a single high safety in a cover 3 defense, but this guy is so talentet that he'd fit in practically any scheme. Btw, I think Hooker was a BPA pick. For these kind of players you rather tweak your scheme to fit him in than stick to the scheme and miss drafting him.

And yeah, Basham is seemingly more suited for 4-3, but for example, Simon not, Woods not, Hankins not. And even in this years draft, Turay not.

Btw, Wilson is (can be / could be) a fine man corner.

6 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

The ideal role for Hooker would be a single high safety in a cover 3 defense, but this guy is so talentet that he'd fit in practically any scheme. Btw, I think Hooker was a BPA pick. For these kind of players you rather tweak your scheme to fit him in than stick to the scheme and miss drafting him.

Yeah, I think the only reason Hooker was still there was his injury concerns. If he was 100%, he would have been my favorite DB in the draft. He was kind of a gift at #15, assuming he doesn't continue to get hurt, which isn't a given.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I think the only reason Hooker was still there was his injury concerns. If he was 100%, he would have been my favorite DB in the draft. He was kind of a gift at #15, assuming he doesn't continue to get hurt, which isn't a given.

Not for nothing and I don’t think you’re suggesting this...    but Hooker didn’t suffer some lame injury where he planted wrong and the leg buckled...

He didn’t get hurt while being untouched....

He was running in one direction and another player peeled off and violently hit him going the other way.    It was mostly a head on collision.   A car accident.  

I don’t fear Malik being someone who is injury prone.   I suspect that others do....

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not for nothing and I don’t think you’re suggesting this...    but Hooker didn’t suffer some lame injury where he planted wrong and the leg buckled...

He didn’t get hurt while being untouched....

He was running in one direction and another player peeled off and violently hit him going the other way.    It was mostly a head on collision.   A car accident.  

I don’t fear Malik being someone who is injury prone.   I suspect that others do....

Freak injury, I get it. But I think this is three major injuries in two years. He had the labrum and the hernia last year, and now the ACL. While I'm not labeling him as injury prone, I also can't call him durable. At least not yet. Just saying it's something I'm concerned about, but I hope it doesn't undermine his career. Hopefully he doesn't have anymore serious injuries for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

Frank Gore had 2 serious injuries before his NFL carreer began, and look, how long he survived.

The Colts just recently had a generational talent who's body has given up too early (Bob Sanders). That was enough, I cincerely hope, that Hooker's carreer will be rather similar to Gore's than Sanderses. I mean Bob Sanderses. I'd, and I assume Malik too, take Deion's carreer any day :)

I'm really intrigued by this team this season. I havent been excited like this for a while. Expectations are so low from the media, and I think most of us agree that this team should win 7 or 8 games with a healthy Andrew Luck. 

What intrigues me most is this could be the year to spark the next ____ consecutive seasons of success. A lot of youth that will hit the field this year. Rookie's and Sophomore's alike. That is scary for a lot of times... but perfect for this season's Colts. 

To stay on point, my grade for the scouting from a draft perspective is an A this early on. I have no doubt this years draft was very solid and will produce great football players. Last years draft is what I will be paying attention to most this season. That's where the difference is going to be going into next season. Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Mack, Hairston, Stewart, Walker... that crew is as important as any going forward. 

• Like 1