Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ALL ABOARD THE CAIN TRAIN!!!

TheMose

Who else is believing the hype and believing we could have had the steal of the draft? I was a fan of his since day one, being from South Carolina and all. But I'm really excited to see him lighting it up. He did real well as a #2 to Mike Williams. I'm sure he will as a #2 to TY. But I can see a Moncrief mentality as in if he loses his stud QB he doesn't play as hard. 

• Like 4

I think having a stud QB is important for any WR.  Not sure if it has to do with playing hard.  If you play hard but the QB can't deliver the ball I imagine it can be discouraging and frustrating.  Of course the WR has to get open and do his part.  I thought Moncrief had talent but like Rogers he had a hard time staying on the field due to injuries.  At the outset though Cain does looks like the real deal. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Who else is believing the hype and believing we could have had the steal of the draft? I was a fan of his since day one, being from South Carolina and all. But I'm really excited to see him lighting it up. He did real well as a #2 to Mike Williams. I'm sure he will as a #2 to TY. But I can see a Moncrief mentality as in if he loses his stud QB he doesn't play as hard. 

Love this kid! I was saying this yesterday that he may be the steal of the draft. Everything just fits together like a puzzle that he will be successful in the NFL. Of course, he'll have to show it in the regular season, but his ability on the field isn't what dropped him to the 6th round, it was his off the field issues, and that doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Love this kid! I was saying this yesterday that he may be the steal of the draft. Everything just fits together like a puzzle that he will be successful in the NFL. Of course, he'll have to show it in the regular season, but his ability on the field isn't what dropped him to the 6th round, it was his off the field issues, and that doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Well it was both his off field issues and his drop in production after taking over the WR1 role. I think the production had more to do with the off field issues. I guess I shouldn't even say issues, I'm pretty sure it was a singular marijuana problem

Cautiously Optimistic........

If we begin to have some defenses that start to fear the Colts passing attack, the RBs all start to have some holes they can actually run through as a the defenses goes to a nickle to stop the passing game

NO ONE feared the deep ball from the Colts last year...........

Did I mention that we need an additional LB, CB, S ...... ? :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think having a stud QB is important for any WR.  Not sure if it has to do with playing hard.  If you play hard but the QB can't deliver the ball I imagine it can be discouraging and frustrating.  Of course the WR has to get open and do his part.  I thought Moncrief had talent but like Rogers he had a hard time staying on the field due to injuries.  At the outset though Cain does looks like the real deal. 

Oh absolutely it's really important. But Moncrief even when healthy last year, looked to not have the same drive, dropped passes left and right, and wasn't the same player at all. He was widely criticized as giving up last year. I'm not saying Cain is the same, I'm saying it could be the case and could explain some of his bad drops last year. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Well it was both his off field issues and his drop in production after taking over the WR1 role. I think the production had more to do with the off field issues. I guess I shouldn't even say issues, I'm pretty sure it was a singular marijuana problem

Cain's drop in production was because DeShaun Watson left Clemson to come to the NFL and they used a Freshman QB to replace him, so Cain's production dropped a lot. That'll have a huge effect on any WR. Not worried at all about Cain as any negatives on him seem to have a plausible explanation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Cain's drop in production was because DeShaun Watson left Clemson to come to the NFL and they used a Freshman QB to replace him, so Cain's production dropped a lot. That'll have a huge effect on any WR. Not worried at all about Cain as any negatives on him seem to have a plausible explanation.

I agree 100% which is why I was shocked to see him dropping to the 6th round. I'm happy he did though. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Cautiously Optimistic........

If we begin to have some defenses that start to fear the Colts passing attack, the RBs all start to have some holes they can actually run through as a the defenses goes to a nickle to stop the passing game

NO ONE feared the deep ball from the Colts last year...........

Did I mention that we need an additional LB, CB, S ...... ? :)

I think Andrew Luck alone makes them fear the deep ball. And you dont have to pick apart the roster to evaluate our rookie WR. Lol. If anything our lack of defense helps our deep ball

51 minutes ago, TheMose said:

I think Andrew Luck alone makes them fear the deep ball.

Yep.........  He has and I believe WILL, make a difference

And you dont have to pick apart the roster to evaluate our rookie WR.

Its a joke, man............. most of my recent posts mention the other defensive spots........  I think we need to SLIGHTLY improve these other spots, for the overall good of the team.......

Sorry if that offended you in any way

Lol. If anything our lack of defense helps our deep ball

Huh wut?  

AND.......... to the OP

I ALSO am excited about Cain....... (just want to wait to see how he plays in an actual game, before I crank up the love)

He could be that big, fast WR that could actually get seperation that we havent had for ......

well forever......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its a joke, man............. most of my recent posts mention the other defensive spots

Huh wut?  

Think he means we will have to score alot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

Does anyone know what he rookie record is for yards by a rookie wr

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

AND.......... to the OP

I ALSO am excited about Cain....... (just want to wait to see how he plays in an actual game, before I crank up the love)

He could be that big, fast WR that could actually get seperation that we havent had for ......

well forever......

I agree but if he is the real deal I think he can beat hiltons 861 yards and harrisons 8 td rookie seasons

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree but if he is the real deal I think he can beat hiltons 861 yards and harrisons 8 td rookie seasons

key word is IF

I truly hope you are right..........

We have had a few "camp stars" the past 10 years that dont shine in the regular season

I HOPE that he is an exception

I always am a BIT skeptical, when the rest of the league passes on a player for FIVE rounds...........   31 other teams with multple scouting staff. That this is ALL they do.

Surely people slip through the mix..... always exceptions.... (It does happen... but not expected)

But I am going to hold off the party for now............  When he has his first 10 catch, regular season game, I will be popping the cork....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheMose said:

I hate to do this but I have too pump the brakes. They've not even had a full pad practice yet. Nor are defenders going full tilt. Plus we've seen receivers in recent times flash during camp only to disappear during the season. 

Now I like what I've seen from the kid. Especially like the extra work and dedication. That should pay off in the long run. 

But its far far too early to jump on any rookie band wagon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its a joke, man............. most of my recent posts mention the other defensive spots........  I think we need to SLIGHTLY improve these other spots, for the overall good of the team.......

Huh wut?  

Yea I know it's a joke that's why I put the lol. And exactly what Stephen said, if our defense is porous, we have to sling it down field more and put up more numbers. Playing from behind results in inflated passing stats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

Oh absolutely it's really important. But Moncrief even when healthy last year, looked to not have the same drive, dropped passes left and right, and wasn't the same player at all. He was widely criticized as giving up last year. I'm not saying Cain is the same, I'm saying it could be the case and could explain some of his bad drops last year. 

If Moncrief really gave up on last year it doesn't bode well for him having a long career in the NFL.  Having issues with a new QB like Brissett who really throws hard is understandable.  But giving up is not smart and the league will quickly figure him out.  BTW I believe he got injured again at a Jacksonville practice.  

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Moncrief really gave up on last year it doesn't bode well for him having a long career in the NFL.  Having issues with a new QB like Brissett who really throws hard is understandable.  But giving up is not smart and the league will quickly figure him out.  BTW I believe he got injured again at a Jacksonville practice.  

Not sure if Moncrief quit, but we know Pagano's staff did not put players in positions to succeed. Donte probably got frustrated with the offense. To me, Donte is still an unknown. We know he has a knack in the RZ. Never really got the chance to show what else he could do

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I hate to do this but I have too pump the brakes. They've not even had a full pad practice yet. Nor are defenders going full tilt. Plus we've seen receivers in recent times flash during camp only to disappear during the season. 

Now I like what I've seen from the kid. Especially like the extra work and dedication. That should pay off in the long run. 

I’m with you.  Not that I doubt he’s good, but we’ve seen enough camp stars who disappear in games to wait and see.  

As for being a steal, again that remains to be seen.  At least one pre draft rating had him exactly where we drafted him.  

I went back and watched his game against Bama in the 16 NC game and against Auburn last year.  He looked good but pretty raw.  Obvious potential, but doesn’t every draft pick fit that description?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Deon ‘Antonio Brown’ Cain. Dude is gonna be the steal of the draft.

Or at least that would be cool. :) 

Funny thing about brown as he didnt have big stats his rookie year. I yhink cain can get between 800 and 1200 yards his rookie year especially if he starts. Hilton had 861 his rookie year as a number 3 wr and to me cain looks more polished than hilton when he first came out. The way he gets out of his breaks and can catch in traffic.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i think it was randy moss, he had 17 tds and like 1300 yards

I know moss has the rookie record. I was trying to figure out which colt had the biggest numbers his rookie season. Marvin harrison had 64 rec 831 yards and 8 tds. Hilton had 50 rec 861 yards 7 tds. Not sure if those are the two highest for colts rookies or if someone else did better.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

key word is IF

I truly hope you are right..........

We have had a few "camp stars" the past 10 years that dont shine in the regular season

I HOPE that he is an exception

I always am a BIT skeptical, when the rest of the league passes on a player for FIVE rounds...........   31 other teams with multple scouting staff. That this is ALL they do.

Surely people slip through the mix..... always exceptions.... (It does happen... but not expected)

But I am going to hold off the party for now............  When he has his first 10 catch, regular season game, I will be popping the cork....

I believe the 32 teams all kissed on Cain for five rounds due more to off the field issues than on the field issues.

During the draft process there was talk of a marijuana problem.     Hard to see a kid falling that far due to on the field.    But having a freshman qb didn’t help.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree. PUMP THE BRAKES:woah:

Our fanbase had the same dreams for Moncrief and Duron Carter........ How did those two workout?  Lets wait until the bullets start flying before we believe we have Antonio Brown 2.0!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Introspect said:

I agree. PUMP THE BRAKES:woah:

Our fanbase had the same dreams for Moncrief and Duron Carter........ How did those two workout?  Lets wait until the bullets start flying before we believe we have Antonio Brown 2.0!

And moncrief was held back by injuries. Brown only had about 100 receiving yards his rookie  year

7 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Don't think he's as sure of a thing as Nelson, but I like what I'm hearing about him so far.  The real test for these guys will come when the games start.

Well that's to be expected. Lol. And everybody saying pump the brakes, we are just being supportive of a 6th round rookie who is having a great offseason. We aren't preparing his Hall of Fame bust or running out to buy his jersey. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Well that's to be expected. Lol. And everybody saying pump the brakes, we are just being supportive of a 6th round rookie who is having a great offseason. We aren't preparing his Hall of Fame bust or running out to buy his jersey. 

Some are...

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

Does anyone know what he rookie record is for yards by a rookie wr

You made me look it up...

1,473 by Bill Groman, Houston, 1960

1,377 by Anquan Boldin, Arizona, 2003

1,313 by Randy Moss, Minnesota, 1998

Boldin also holds the record for the number of receptions by a rookie, with 101. Moss holds the record for touchdowns by a rookie with 17. 

I think those records are probably safe for a while.