Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Had Andrew Luck Lived up to Expectations?

tucky89

20 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I can also make the argument that just one Championship with Manning in 14 years is severly underachieving given his hype and status. He didnt win until year 9, did you categorize his performance up until then as "not living up to expectations"? Just curious.

He wasn't living up to expectations as far as SB wins, but Manning was dominating every year at that point and had a huge case for being the best QB in the NFL. I felt like we were in every game and always had a chance at the SB. The only time with Luck I felt we had a chance at a SB was in 2014 when we played the Pats in the AFC Championship Game, and I saw how overmatched we really were. After that, it has been downhill (whether all of it is Luck's fault or not. Injuries are still part of the game unfortunately). Also Manning made 4 SB's and won 2, and it's impossible to say what would of happened had he played another 4 years for us if we didn't take Luck and Manning finished his career here. Luck has a long way to go to make even 1 SB.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He wasn't living up to expectations as far as SB wins, but Manning was dominating every year at that point and had a huge case for being the best QB in the NFL. I felt like we were in every game and always had a chance at the SB. The only time with Luck I felt we had a chance at a SB was in 2014 when we played the Pats in the AFC Championship Game, and I saw how overmatched we really were. After that, it has been downhill (whether all of it is Luck's fault or not. Injuries are still part of the game unfortunately). Also Manning made 4 SB's and won 2, and it's impossible to say what would of happened had he played another 4 years for us if we didn't take Luck and Manning finished his career here. Luck has a long way to go to make even 1 SB.

But when comparing the start of their careers though, Luck blows Manning out of the water. Manning didn't become the Manning we remember till year 5. In his first 5 years Manning had 2 losing seasons, averaged 20 ints per year and didn't win a playoff game until year 5. Nationally the word "bust" was being whispered outside of Indy. Luck hasn't had a losing season, averaged only 14ints per year compared to 20 and won 3 playoff games his first 3 years including making the AFCCG in year 3. I think part of the reason you think Luck hasn't lived up to expectations is that you are trying to compare him to the entire career of Peyton Manning in your head and it's just not an apples to apples situation.

• Like 1

I have been a Colts fan since the team moved to Indianapolis, and in that time, I have seen some very good and very bad QB play. Right now, Andrew Luck is the 2nd best QB of the Indy era. In my opinion, he has more than lived up to the expectations. He inherited a team with what most experts said was a horrible roster and took them to the playoffs his 1st 3 years. No matter what people want to think this is probably the ultimate TEAM sport. Let's be honest here the rosters that Luck has had have not been comparable to the ones that Manning had. Manning had a Hall of Fame GM and HC. Luck has had Grigson and Pagano. I love Peyton Manning. He was an amazing player and I truly believe that if the Colts hadn't drafted him that they would be in Los Angeles today. However, I do think we tend to romanticize the past. I remember when Peyton Manning was labeled a "choker" and when he "couldn't win the big game". I remember losing 41-0 to the Jets in the playoffs. Those are my :2c: on the subject.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I have been a Colts fan since the team moved to Indianapolis, and in that time, I have seen some very good and very bad QB play. Right now, Andrew Luck is the 2nd best QB of the Indy era. In my opinion, he has more than lived up to the expectations. He inherited a team with what most experts said was a horrible roster and took them to the playoffs his 1st 3 years. No matter what people want to think this is probably the ultimate TEAM sport. Let's be honest here the rosters that Luck has had have not been comparable to the ones that Manning had. Manning had a Hall of Fame GM and HC. Luck has had Grigson and Pagano. I love Peyton Manning. He was an amazing player and I truly believe that if the Colts hadn't drafted him that they would be in Los Angeles today. However, I do think we tend to romanticize the past. I remember when Peyton Manning was labeled a "choker" and when he "couldn't win the big game". I remember losing 41-0 to the Jets in the playoffs. Those are my :2c: on the subject.

Great Post, I have been a fan since 1984 as well. The 3 best QB's we have ever had are Peyton #1, Luck is #2, and Harbaugh #3. When I became a fan, Mike Pagel was QB :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

But when comparing the start of their careers though, Luck blows Manning out of the water. Manning didn't become the Manning we remember till year 5. In his first 5 years Manning had 2 losing seasons, averaged 20 ints per year and didn't win a playoff game until year 5. Nationally the word "bust" was being whispered outside of Indy. Luck hasn't had a losing season, averaged only 14ints per year compared to 20 and won 3 playoff games his first 3 years including making the AFCCG in year 3. I think part of the reason you think Luck hasn't lived up to expectations is that you are trying to compare him to the entire career of Peyton Manning in your head and it's just not an apples to apples situation.

I acknowledged that Luck lived up to expectations in his first 3 years in this thread. I'm comparing Luck's career up to this point to both Manning's and Elway's, because those are the two comparisons he's had with his hype. I admit, if you asked me a random question when Luck got drafted, "where do you think the Colts will be in 2018 as a team?" I would say competing with the Pats and Steelers every year to make and win SB's. Luck hasn't met expectations of matching Elway so far as he made 3 SB's at this point in Luck's career, and Manning was getting into his own as a dominate QB who was winning 11+ games a year. Luck started off that way and fell off. There has been a lot of problems outside of Luck's control, but he has to pick it up now that he is healthy, because we are back to square one. Right now, he has a long way to go to meet the hype and expectations that were bestowed upon him when he was drafted here, fair or not.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I acknowledged that Luck lived up to expectations in his first 3 years in this thread. I'm comparing Luck's career up to this point to both Manning's and Elway's, because those are the two comparisons he's had with his hype. I admit, if you asked me a random question when Luck got drafted, "where do you think the Colts will be in 2018 as a team?" I would say competing with the Pats and Steelers every year to make and win SB's. Luck hasn't met expectations of matching Elway so far as he made 3 SB's at this point in Luck's career, and Manning was getting into his own as a dominate QB who was winning 11+ games a year. Luck started off that way and fell off. There has been a lot of problems outside of Luck's control, but he has to pick it up now that he is healthy, because we are back to square one. Right now, he has a long way to go to meet the hype and expectations that were bestowed upon him when he was drafted here, fair or not.

The Luck "hype" is just a product of the new media age we live in. If it was around back when the aforementioned Elway and Manning were drafted it would have been the same if not worse. Are you acknowledging the fact that Luck has not had even remotely the same quality of roster as the other two and has had an inept organization around him his entire career?  This is the NFL, not the NBA, one player can't win solely on his own. Look at Mike Trout, supposedly one of the best players in baseball in very long time, can't even get to the postseason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We have a 3 year plan which started this spring with Drafting and Free Agency, and getting Luck healthy. I am hoping we improve alot this season which is probable, perhaps 9-7? Then 2 more Drafts and 2 more Free Agency's going into the 2020 Season. Going into the 2020 Season Luck will still only be 31 and that will be our time like we talked about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The Luck "hype" is just a product of the new media age we live in. If it was around back when the aforementioned Elway and Manning were drafted it would have been the same if not worse. Are you acknowledging the fact that Luck has not had even remotely the same quality of roster as the other two and has had an inept organization around him his entire career?  This is the NFL, not the NBA, one player can't win solely on his own. Look at Mike Trout, supposedly one of the best players in baseball in very long time, can't even get to the postseason.

I have acknowledged in this thread that the FO has ruined him with bad drafting, FA's and coaching. Unfortunately injuries have hurt him too. However, the question was, has he lived up to expectations? Fair or not, he hasn't so far, regardless of the situation behind it. Doesn't mean I dislike him, but it's the truth at this point. The expectations were really high, and he still has a chance to meet them starting this year.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have a 3 year plan which started this spring with Drafting and Free Agency, and getting Luck healthy. I am hoping we improve alot this season which is probable, perhaps 9-7? Then 2 more Drafts and 2 more Free Agency's going into the 2020 Season. Going into the 2020 Season Luck will still only be 31 and that will be our time like we talked about.

Seeing training camp every day has given me new excitement. I think at the very least, Luck's protection will be better. Hopefully the defense picks up as well. We should definitely get to 9-7 this year as long as Luck stays healthy, and hopefully we see big performances from Ballard's two draft classes. The next one will be nice as well with an extra 2nd rounder and a compensatory 4th rounder, so more talent for Luck to use. 

• Thanks 1

Seeing training camp every day has given me new excitement. I think at the very least, Luck's protection will be better. Hopefully the defense picks up as well. We should definitely get to 9-7 this year as long as Luck stays healthy, and hopefully we see big performances from Ballard's two draft classes. The next one will be nice as well with an extra 2nd rounder and a compensatory 4th rounder, so more talent for Luck to use. 

I honestly cant see us going worse than 8-8 if Luck plays all 16 games. Like you, I follow this team closely unlike the media outside of Indy. 

• Like 1

I have acknowledged in this thread that the FO has ruined him with bad drafting, FA's and coaching. Unfortunately injuries have hurt him too. However, the question was, has he lived up to expectations? Fair or not, he hasn't so far, regardless of the situation behind it. Doesn't mean I dislike him, but it's the truth at this point. The expectations were really high, and he still has a chance to meet them starting this year.

Fair enough, you've always been an unrivaled optimist in terms of your expectations for Luck and the team. Can't fault you for that. I will just agree to disagree and just say that I think Luck has, but the Colts as a whole have not. I tend to be more of a realist and understand that the Colts organization has been bad longer than it's been good and that it lucked into two once in a generation QB's that have somewhat masked that.

• Like 1

As an older fan and seeing the likes of Mike Pagel and Jack Trudeau, then suffering watching Jeff George be a huge bust. Andrew is a blessing to have. Up until Peyton, Harbaugh gave us one magical season. In 1987 when we won the Division, Eric Dickerson was basically our QB playing RB :thmup:.  I liked Hasselbeck but he was just too old and a quality backup when he was here at that point. Scott Tolzein and Curtis Painter rank up there with Pagel lmao. Brissett is decent but really just a solid backup for 2 or 3 games IMO.

You could make a strong case that Peyton's Colts underachieved, at least in winning SB's. I feel as if they left at least one out there, maybe two.

Andrew's story isn't written and injuries cloud the story too much, but yeah, he's worthy of the hype and he can surpass expectations (there are none according most football fans now) going forward.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You could make a strong case that Peyton's Colts underachieved, at least in winning SB's. I feel as if they left at least one out there, maybe two.

Andrew's story isn't written and injuries cloud the story too much, but yeah, he's worthy of the hype and he can surpass expectations (there are none according most football fans now) going forward.

2009/10 still stings, we should've had 2 but at least we aren't in Bills fans shoes where they lost 4 straight and Kelly was 0-4. Same for Dolphins fans with Marino = 0 SB wins. So it could be worse. I always look at how worse fans have had it because we have had it Great in reality.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at it from my perspective. I was born in 1987, I started getting into football more heavily and became a Colts fan when Manning got drafted here. When I see someone that made me a fan of this team go on and have such a prosperous career and become one of the greatest QB's of all time through my teen years and part of my 20s, It becomes a big part of my sports life.

Then I see we are getting the best QB prospect since Elway (and I live in Colorado), I get really excited and am ready for the next golden age of the Colts. The guy that my best friend and I were discussing as a pipe dream for the Colts when Manning had his neck injury. We get him out of sheer luck, he starts off well, and bad thing after bad thing starts happening. Wilson and Foles win rings before him, Cousins may as well, and Luck is now 29 and we are back to square one.

Needless to say, Luck did not hold up to my expectations or my previous happiness of when Peyton Manning was on the team when I was growing up as a teenager and young adult.

Edgerrin James

Marvin Harrison

Reggie Wayne 

HOF worthy teammates help. It’s no secret when the last of those left, the Hilton’s don’t  measure up.

Luck has met every expectation of him. QB’s don’t win SB’s football teams do.

• Like 1

Its a tough question to get an answer for. If you look just at Luck when playing healthy then he has done great things.  As an investment, overall for what the Colts have paid and are paying for him, I think we are 53-43 since he joined the team.  Obviously he has missed a lot of this time but it is hard to overlook what the franchise has done since he was drafted. 

Really are we that superficial. Given the cards that he inherited to Luck, are we that stupid to assume that his legacy is based  on the hand that was dealt  to him? Lets rally behind Luck. Hope  for  the best. Let's only judge after the dust settles .  There is plenty of time to see if this works after the season is over and revaluate. But for now lets support our current regime. Ok? guys?