Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB GOAT

Lucky Colts Fan

Who is the GOAT for RBs in the NFL?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the GOAT for RBs in the NFL?

• Jim Brown
    • Bo Jackson
    • Walter Payton
    • Barry Sanders
    • Emmitt Smith
    • Other

Who is the GOAT for NFL RBs?  There's an elite tier of the best to ever play.  They have GOAT credentials, whether it's stats, rings, amazing talent (or D-all of the above).

In alphabetical order:

Jim Brown

Bo Jackson

Walter Payton

Barry Sanders

Emmitt Smith

It's hard to put one above the rest.  :dunno:

• Thanks 1

Depends a lot on what you value.  

If you value longetivity then probably Smith

Highlight reel plays - Sanders

Consistency - Payton

I think I remember watching A Football Life: Walter Payton and Aston Kucher claimed that Emmitt Smith told him that Payton was the greatest RB in history.  

• Like 1

hard to compare different eras, jim brown would still be good but probably wouldnt have the same production today 

i think adrian peterson belongs in the discussion too, even though he never won anything neither did barry 

• Like 1

Jim Brown probably deserves the GOAT title but it is tough to compare era's. Nobody knows how great he would've been lets say even in the 80's when the players were really getting bigger, stronger, and faster. Nobody can say how great he would be in today's league. I really like Emmitt Smith alot, yeah he had a Great O.Line for some of his career = his SB years but he could do it all. He could get you the tough yards on 3rd and 2, he could break the long run as well, he also played injured. That game he had against the Giants at NY in 1993 with the #1 Seed on the line was incredible. He played with 1 arm and still had like 160 Yards Rushing and also caught like 10 passes to get Dallas the #1 Seed in the Playoffs. That was when the Giants even still had Taylor.

-Out of respect I would probably put Brown #1. He was way ahead of his time alot like Wilt Chamberlain was. He was a large man as well at 6'2 230. My list would be:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith (All-Time Leading Rusher)

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

-That would be my Top 5.

-Bo Jackson may have been the most talented RB of all-time but got injured and didn't play long enough to be one of the GOAT's.

• Like 2

I don't like to compare across eras. For one, I never saw Brown or Payton play.

Two, I don't think it's debatable that athletes in the modern era are bigger, faster and stronger than athletes from 35+ years ago, so whoever much we consider raw ability in these discussions, more modern players have an advantage. Emmith Smith was a far better athlete than Jim Brown; Adrian Peterson was a far better athlete than Emmitt Smith.

And the main guy that I think transcends era -- Bo Jackson -- had his career undermined by injury. (Which is another point. While modern athletes have more ability, they also benefit from advances in technology, medicine, training methods, and financial standing. Bo Jackson might have been able to come back from injury like AP did.)

My favorite RB of all time is Barry Sanders, but it's hard to argue that he was "better" or "greater" than Emmitt Smith. Terrell Davis had a dynamic peak, but didn't last long. LaDanian Tomlinson did some things that no other back has ever done, so did Marshall Faulk. I don't have a strong opinion about who would be the best or greatest RB of all time.

• Like 3

I'm not talking about anything else this person has done OFF the football field.....

But ON the field....   few in the history of the game compare with OJ Simpson.     Nothing he couldn't do.    

I'm fine with Brown.    But when I watch film of him,  my eyes tell me he was playing against a lot of guys who may have been fine for that era,   but they'd stand no chance of playing in the last 30-40 years.     They look like guys who were selling insurance in the off-seaason,  because they were.      240 pound defensive lineman.     220 linebackers.     170-185 pound defensive backs.

Brown was a MAN against boys.     That said,  if he was playing today,  I think Brown would be just as great.     He, like Bo Jackson and others,  transcend era's.... 

Just my two cents....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't like to compare across eras. For one, I never saw Brown or Payton play.

Two, I don't think it's debatable that athletes in the modern era are bigger, faster and stronger than athletes from 35+ years ago, so whoever much we consider raw ability in these discussions, more modern players have an advantage. Emmith Smith was a far better athlete than Jim Brown; Adrian Peterson was a far better athlete than Emmitt Smith.

And the main guy that I think transcends era -- Bo Jackson -- had his career undermined by injury. (Which is another point. While modern athletes have more ability, they also benefit from advances in technology, medicine, training methods, and financial standing. Bo Jackson might have been able to come back from injury like AP did.)

My favorite RB of all time is Barry Sanders, but it's hard to argue that he was "better" or "greater" than Emmitt Smith. Terrell Davis had a dynamic peak, but didn't last long. LaDanian Tomlinson did some things that no other back has ever done, so did Marshall Faulk. I don't have a strong opinion about who would be the best or greatest RB of all time.

Yeah I think it's better to list Greatest players per era. Example = who was the best in the 60's, who was in the 70's and so on up to now. That is a much easier way to list the GOATs and a fair way. I go through this on the Basketball Thread as well and that is really my ultimate conclusion. Like Jordan or Magic vs LeBron, who was better? By era Magic was in the best in the 80's, Jordan was in the 90's, LeBron is now. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not talking about anything else this person has done OFF the football field.....

But ON the field....   few in the history of the game compare with OJ Simpson.     Nothing he couldn't do.    

I'm fine with Brown.    But when I watch film of him,  my eyes tell me he was playing against a lot of guys who may have been fine for that era,   but they'd stand no chance of playing in the last 30-40 years.     They look like guys who were selling insurance in the off-seaason,  because they were.      240 pound defensive lineman.     220 linebackers.     170-185 pound defensive backs.

Brown was a MAN against boys.     That said,  if he was playing today,  I think Brown would be just as great.     He, like Bo Jackson and others,  transcend era's.... 

Just my two cents....

I agree, back then Brown was todays LB size.

• Like 1

Sanders, Payton, Brown; in that order. 

Don't forget Sanders retired earlier than expected and didn't hang around as a marginal player piling up yards, unlike Smith and Payton, to a degree.

And Jim Brown threatened to come out of retirement at like 50 years old just because a broken down Franco Harris was hanging around just to beat his record. LOL.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 10:24 PM, buccolts said:

The list is too small, as is typical of such conversations. 

Gale Sayers 

Gale sayers was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Including QB. The guy was like an angel on the football field. It’s like had wings or something. 

• Like 1