Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Day one notes

CR91

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I wasn’t a fan of our 2nd round on draft day, but hopefully at least 2 of them can crack the starting lineup by week 1

I was definitely expecting “names” to be drafted in the 2nd. Lot of them were there. Malik Jefferson & Josh Jackson were 2 I for sure thought were coming to Indianapolis 

But oh well, can’t always get what we want :dunno:

A lot of the LB look like they have speed and I can’t really remember the last time the Colts had speed at LB. Maybe Freeman? Pat Angerer? 

Reading the article brought a smile to my face: 

The perception has been,  “Other than T.Y., there’s no receiver that would draw double coverage”. But what if Cain becomes that ? What if the line backing squad is not the weakness that we’ve feared they might be? What if the offensive identity is primarily “smash-mouth” with a healthy dose of a creative passing game? What if the STs are top 10 or even top 5? What if somehow, someway the Dline provides a pass rush and as a result, the pass defense as a whole improves? 

I realize there are a lot of “what ifs” there but being a glass half-full kinda guy, I can see where all of these things are possible. GO COLTS!!!

12 hours ago, Savage said:

What's not to like? We filled some major holes on both sides of the ball.

I just thought with the picks we had in the 2nd and the state of our roster we would be getting 2-3  day 1 starters in that round. There’s still time for them to earn starting spots, but I think only Leonard has a chance at becoming a starter year 1 (without injuries)

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

I just thought with the picks we had in the 2nd and the state of our roster we would be getting 2-3  day 1 starters in that round. There’s still time for them to earn starting spots, but I think only Leonard has a chance at becoming a starter year 1 (without injuries)

While I don't expect Smith, Turay and Lewis to be starters this year, I do think at least Turay and Lewis will get a lot of time, especially on third downs. If someone else locks down the RG spot and stays healthy, Smith might not play at all, but he'll get a chance to compete for a starting spot. And looking at his skill set, I think the only thing he needs is strength and toughness, so this time next year, the RG spot should be his to lose. 

I felt like some of the Day 2 picks were reaches, but I've made my peace with them. 

20 hours ago, Superman said:

While I don't expect Smith, Turay and Lewis to be starters this year, I do think at least Turay and Lewis will get a lot of time, especially on third downs. If someone else locks down the RG spot and stays healthy, Smith might not play at all, but he'll get a chance to compete for a starting spot. And looking at his skill set, I think the only thing he needs is strength and toughness, so this time next year, the RG spot should be his to lose. 

I felt like some of the Day 2 picks were reaches, but I've made my peace with them. 

I know you didn't post much during the summer,  so you may have missed this....

Something I stumbled into surfing on-line.     NFL.com runs a series....    this year it's called 18 for '18....    18 players who are the best in some category....      last year,  yes, it was called 17 for '17.

And in one category,  Freakish Athletes,   this jumped out at me while I was scrolling through....  I'm going to cut and paste....     my point is your critique of Smith doesn't match this profile.   And this was a year ago,  before Smith's last year at Auburn.    He appears to be a rare breed.

15. Braden Smith, OT, Auburn

The Tigers' senior right tackle displays ridiculous strength in the weight room with a 565-pound squat, and a 495-pound bench press that could be higher if the AU strength staff permitted him to load more weight on the bar. The highest-jumping offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine this year recorded a 32-inch vertical jump; Smith can do 33, and his 9-foot-9 broad jump would have led all offensive linemen in Indianapolis this year, as well. All that, and he can run a 4.95 40-yard dash at 6-foot-6, 303 pounds. Said strength coach Ryan Russell: "The most impressive thing to me is his mobility in his ankle(s) and his hips. Normally a guy his size who is that strong and powerful will be stiff and has trouble moving efficiently. Braden's movement efficiency is incredibly smooth and is something you don't see too often with a guy that size."

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

@NewColtsFan You made me go back to my notes. I must have confused Smith with someone else, you're right, he doesn't have issues with strength and toughness. More technique. Thanks for keeping me straight on that. 

That was the only thing I could think of.   I wasn’t looking for this at all.   I posted this on a thread on the NFL page about a month ago.   Figured you didn’t see it. 

You normally don't see OL listed as a freak athlete so I was stunned to see Smith listed.    Interesting to me that we read such good buzz on Slauson.   Guessing Smith doesn’t start until after the bye week at the soonest or perhaps next year.