Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

[Rapoport] Colts sign S Shamarko Thomas

Recommended Posts

Not very big but a good athlete. Some compared his playing style to Bob Sanders when he was drafted.

 

Lost both of his parents while he was in college. Has 5-6 siblings and became the head of the household.

 

He certainly seems to fit the character and athletic traits that Ballard always talks about.

 

I don’t think he has done a lot in the NFL but hopefully the Colts can get some decent production from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I'm reading, he could be a big assist on ST's as well.  Like his speed.  Hope he stays healthy for the short time he's likely to be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck Shamarko. Should have every opportunity to make the team given how thin we are until Hooker and Geathers comes back. Hold down the fort and perhaps carve out a spot for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as large as signing one of the Big 3 remaining safeties, but this guy could stick because of special teams skills. Still worried about the defensive backfield; inexperienced and thin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Not as large as signing one of the Big 3 remaining safeties, but this guy could stick because of special teams skills. Still worried about the defensive backfield; inexperienced and thin. 

Still possible Kenny or Eric are signed 

 

Doubt Tre signs since he swore Colts are the worst hosts ever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    I like the kid for all the reasons listed above,  especially those listed by poster ar7.

 

Then again,  since it's Shark Week,  I thought I'd offer some SNARK.

 

So, who needs Eric Reid,  or Kenny Vacarro, or Trey Boston,  or any other quality safety when you can get Shamarko Thomas at a bargain basement price!     (Remember,  it's SNARK week!)

 

In Ballard I trust.     In Ballard I trust.    In Ballard I trust.    (Sorry.  feeling a little sarcastic and snarky today....)       :peek:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im kinda skeptical adding a safety from the steelers. Their safeties havent been that good since they had troy p and ryan clark  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not sign Eric Reid instead? Why sign a bargain bin, depth S when there's literally a starting caliber S out there in Reid...smh Ballard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Why not sign Eric Reid instead? Why sign a bargain bin, depth S when there's literally a starting caliber S out there in Reid...smh Ballard

Because you have to start Eric Reid.  And I think they have every intention of Geathers being the starter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

Because you have to start Eric Reid.  And I think they have every intention of Geathers being the starter.  

That's cool but Geathers has shown to be injury prone and is still recovering from a neck injury....I don't think it would hurt to play Reid until Geathers is 100% back, or even find a way to rotate all three of Geathers, Reid and Hooker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, colt18 said:

That's cool but Geathers has shown to be injury prone and is still recovering from a neck injury....I don't think it would hurt to play Reid until Geathers is 100% back, or even find a way to rotate all three of Geathers, Reid and Hooker.

I'd like to have him too, but I don't think we'll get Reid or Boston unless there is a long term injury to Hooker or Geathers.   I don't think Reid or Boston would be satisfied coming here to ride the pine behind young guys.  Just my hunch.   I believe we could get Vaccaro to take a back seat maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, colt18 said:

That's cool but Geathers has shown to be injury prone and is still recovering from a neck injury....I don't think it would hurt to play Reid until Geathers is 100% back, or even find a way to rotate all three of Geathers, Reid and Hooker.

Geathers had a knee procedure done and should be back soon. Neck is just fine. This is a camp body signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DaColts85 said:

Geathers had a knee procedure done and should be back soon. Neck is just fine. This is a camp body signing.

 

You never know. His biggest competition is Green and that isn't saying much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Geathers had a knee procedure done and should be back soon. Neck is just fine. This is a camp body signing.

Neck, knee, whats next is my concern. Hope like heck for the best but kinda expecting the worse with Geathers. Trust the process though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Why not sign Eric Reid instead? Why sign a bargain bin, depth S when there's literally a starting caliber S out there in Reid...smh Ballard

I don't think they are looking for a starting caliber safety right now.  If they were it would be Boston or Vacarro.  This is just a camp body signing.  Things could change quickly if Gaethers has problems.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Ballard came on board, do we really have camp bodies anymore?  Everybody he brings in has a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is a depth signing and if he does well on ST, he could stay. It’s all up to him really. Good depth is good depth. We will see if he is or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Since Ballard came on board, do we really have camp bodies anymore?  Everybody he brings in has a shot.

Let the church say amen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

    I like the kid for all the reasons listed above,  especially those listed by poster ar7.

 

Then again,  since it's Shark Week,  I thought I'd offer some SNARK.

 

So, who needs Eric Reid,  or Kenny Vacarro, or Trey Boston,  or any other quality safety when you can get Shamarko Thomas at a bargain basement price!     (Remember,  it's SNARK week!)

 

In Ballard I trust.     In Ballard I trust.    In Ballard I trust.    (Sorry.  feeling a little sarcastic and snarky today....)       :peek:

 

 

Seems you singing, or snarking, a different tune than a month or so ago regarding Ballard. 

 

Give him a chance bro, today was only the first day of training camp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Seems you singing, or snarking, a different tune than a month or so ago regarding Ballard. 

 

Give him a chance bro, today was only the first day of training camp!

 

I'm not singing any different regarding Ballard.     You don't know how to read Ballard.    And you don't know how to read me.      Never have with either.

 

But it remains very cute that you're trying to advise me on Ballard.      Very cute!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

As a 'Cuse homer, I wanted him drafted by Indy and hope he sticks....

 

Bunch of your guys trying to make the team.  I’m not sure about his chances, other than STs he hasn’t played much since his rookie year.  

 

TBH, I’m still hoping we sign one of the FAs we’ve looked at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Bunch of your guys trying to make the team.  I’m not sure about his chances, other than STs he hasn’t played much since his rookie year.  

 

TBH, I’m still hoping we sign one of the FAs we’ve looked at.  

 

Cross Boston off the list...

Signing with Arizona

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/safety-tre-boston-joining-cardinals-on-one-year-deal/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, colt18 said:

Why not sign Eric Reid instead? Why sign a bargain bin, depth S when there's literally a starting caliber S out there in Reid...smh Ballard

 

Please call or email Ballard to let him know that he signed the wrong safety.  Quick, before it's too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think they are looking for a starting caliber safety right now.  If they were it would be Boston or Vacarro.  This is just a camp body signing.  Things could change quickly if Gaethers has problems.  

Boston has officially signed with Arizona so he’s off the board 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two words:  Mathias. Farley.  :clover:

 

Thomas could definitely earn a spot on this team, just like Mathias did.  But EARN is the key word.

 

Our safeties are going to be doing a lot of running and hitting in this defensive scheme, AND on special teams, so we'll probably need 4-5 starting-quality safeties throughout the season.  This should be a win-win for the Colts and Thomas.

 

:goodluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I'm not singing any different regarding Ballard.     You don't know how to read Ballard.    And you don't know how to read me.      Never have with either.

 

But it remains very cute that you're trying to advise me on Ballard.      Very cute!

 

 

He took the sarcastic bait :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, krunk said:

Because you have to start Eric Reid.  And I think they have every intention of Geathers being the starter.  

 

And since Eric Reid has been to the Pro Bowl, He may cost more than the others, Although I wouldn't mind Eric Reid. His role as a Safety reminds me of a slightly better Antoine Beathe who was responsible as a Safety not getting beat deep often.

17 hours ago, colt18 said:

That's cool but Geathers has shown to be injury prone and is still recovering from a neck injury....I don't think it would hurt to play Reid until Geathers is 100% back, or even find a way to rotate all three of Geathers, Reid and Hooker.

Great points, But I believe the rotation or scheme play comes from the coaches. Usually..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Since Ballard came on board, do we really have camp bodies anymore?  Everybody he brings in has a shot.

Great point. see Rakeem Nunez-Roches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

As a 'Cuse homer, I wanted him drafted by Indy and hope he sticks....

I wanted us to draft him as well, but mainly because he's a local kid (Virginia Beach).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is pretty simple really, Vaccarro, Boston and Reid (as quality veteran starters) wanted starters money and more guarantees other than you can come in and compete....Thomas fits the mold of a bring your lunch pail to work and earn your reps kid.

 

The FO obviously likes what they have in the building at safety, and were more than likely looking for depth behind Geathers, Hooker, Farley and Green. 

 

As it stands now, Green and Farley are our default starters while Geathers and Hooker are on the PuP....so Odum, Thomas, Martin and the Stony Brook kid are all fighting for the 2 backup/special teams roles while those two are out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, colt18 said:

Why not sign Eric Reid instead? Why sign a bargain bin, depth S when there's literally a starting caliber S out there in Reid...smh Ballard

 

Probably because Reid has been blacklisted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at DAL's defensive snaps last season, their two starting Ss (Jones and Heath) led the team in defensive snaps..making them arguably the most necessary part of that defense. 

 

Right now, the Colts have two starting Ss are on PUP.

 

Also, DAL had a 3rd S (Woods) that played more than 50% of defensive snaps...likely because they were often in a sub formation like big nickel. 

 

If Eberflus is going to be running a similar defense, then it seems to me that, in a perfect world assuming no injuries, the Colts would need at least three starter-level Ss for this defense. But it's not a perfect world...as we have seen...so depth is important as well. Right now...they have one of those 3-4 Ss that is healthy.

 

Bottom line...really need to sign another S that can play. If Geathers and Hooker both come back healthy...then the Colts basically have their 3s and some depth. That's a good problem to have and they can deal with it then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...