Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman

Gurley gets paid -- 4 years, $60m

Waiting to see actual structure, but that's a strong deal. He'll probably shut up about a strike now that he's getting paid.

And what about Aaron Donald??

And....    as the tweet bites...   thecdesl ys an extension.   Gurkey still has two more years to go on his rookie deal (18 and 19) and those will remain in place.

Now add four more years on top of this.    20, 21, 22, 23.   With 45 of the 60 guaranteed.    Rams look smart to get in front of this.

Of course,  if Gurley should get hurt in the next two years,  the Rams will get hammered by most everyone in the NFL for thus deal.   Hopefully their gamble pays off for them.

If nothing more it adds a tiny bit of cred to Bell's stance.

Gurley is younger but Gurley also basically just had his first truly elite year. And he is getting the $15M annual average that Bell seemed to be trying to set the pace at.

That and he got $45M guaranteed where Bell got what?  Was it only $15-$20M guaranteed on his offer with maybe $30M in the first two years?

He looks justified.  And apparently he has essentially tweeted as such too.

29 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Gurley is younger but Gurley also basically just had his first truly elite year. And he is getting the $15M annual average that Bell seemed to be trying to set the pace at.

That and he got $45M guaranteed where Bell got what?  Was it only $15-$20M guaranteed on his offer with maybe $30M in the first two years?

To an extent, yes, Bell does look justified. 

I think Bell was getting $33 mil. guaranteed, if I am not mistaken. It was not "the best" contract out there, from the Steelers but was a pretty good one. When rookie RBs like Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara and Leonard Fournette can produce the way they do,  it does not have to be "the best" contract, one can justify it that way too.

I still feel that the Gurley contract will be an outlier, much like Adrian Peterson's contract, in a couple of years

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To an extent, yes, Bell does look justified. 

I think Bell was getting $33 mil. guaranteed, if I am not mistaken. It was not "the best" contract out there, from the Steelers but was a pretty good one. When rookie RBs like Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara and Leonard Fournette can produce the way they do,  it does not have to be "the best" contract, one can justify it that way too.

I still feel that the Gurley contract will be an outlier, much like Adrian Peterson's contract, in a couple of years

I could be totally wrong, but i thought his guarantee was only his signing bonus which was under $15M and that he got something like $30M in the first two years but that if he hypothetically got hurt or sucked this year that next year's salary wasn't guaranteed and his only guarantee was his signing bonus and whatever he'd make this season.

If that is true then he is smart to have held out for more based on what Gurley just landed.

If he legit had $30M+ guaranteed for sure at signing, then he should have taken it. Even w what Gurley just got.

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

Gurley is younger,  is still on his rookie contract and doesn't have failed drug tests. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Gurley is younger,  is still on his rookie contract and doesn't have failed drug tests. 

Very very true.

He also is only one year removed from a season where he put up a measly 1200 total yards and only 6 scores and 3.2 yards per carry.

My only point is that if he cashes in on one elite year and gets $15M annually, then the guy who has put up around 1800 total yards and double digit or so scores in 3 of the last 4 years has a strong leg to stand on that he deserves at least the same.

I totally understand the NFL trend to not pay RBs, especially aging ones. I don't fault the Steelers one bit. I just also will always side w players trying to maximize their earnings when you consider these guys have such short careers and they make crazy bank for their teams.

I am happy Gurley got paid and I hope Bell has a great year and then someone pays him what he is worth as well.

17 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I could be totally wrong, but i thought his guarantee was only his signing bonus which was under $15M and that he got something like $30M in the first two years but that if he hypothetically got hurt or sucked this year that next year's salary wasn't guaranteed and his only guarantee was his signing bonus and whatever he'd make this season.

If that is true then he is smart to have held out for more based on what Gurley just landed.

If he legit had $30M+ guaranteed for sure at signing, then he should have taken it. Even w what Gurley just got.

From what I understand, Bell's offer wasn't truly guaranteed at signing, but the $33m was probably likely to be paid. Who knows without actually seeing the detailed structure, but it wasn't just a measly $10m guaranteed like Bell's people tried to say. I also think it was more than he'll get as a free agent, even with Gurley's deal.

Speaking of which, wait until the numbers and structure get some more reporting. I'd bet that it's not $40m guaranteed at signing, just likely to be paid, similar to basically every other contract and it's guarantee structure. And it will probably wind up paying him more like $70m over six years, when you take into consideration 2018 and the value of the fifth year option in 2019. What's more, I bet the Rams have an easy out somewhere around 2020-21, making their commitment to Gurley not much more than it would have been if they had let him play out the fifth year option and salary tag, which is essentially what the Steelers are doing with Bell.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

From what I understand, Bell's offer wasn't truly guaranteed at signing, but the $33m was probably likely to be paid. Who knows without actually seeing the detailed structure, but it wasn't just a measly $10m guaranteed like Bell's people tried to say. I also think it was more than he'll get as a free agent, even with Gurley's deal.

Speaking of which, wait until the numbers and structure get some more reporting. I'd bet that it's not $40m guaranteed at signing, just likely to be paid, similar to basically every other contract and it's guarantee structure. And it will probably wind up paying him more like $70m over six years, when you take into consideration 2018 and the value of the fifth year option in 2019. What's more, I bet the Rams have an easy out somewhere around 2020-21, making their commitment to Gurley not much more than it would have been if they had let him play out the fifth year option and salary tag, which is essentially what the Steelers are doing with Bell.

Its my understanding that Bell gets $45 mill totally guaranteed...    $20 mill of that at signing...    the other $25 mill spread out over a number of years...   I’m going to guess that would be over three years,  but again, that’s just a guess.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its my understanding that Bell gets $45 mill totally guaranteed...    $20 mill of that at signing...    the other $25 mill spread out over a number of years...   I’m going to guess that would be over three years,  but again, that’s just a guess.

We'll see when more details come out.

Gurley basically accepted the contract that LeVeon Bell turned down....and he was wise to do so. 

$45 mil guaranteed to $33 mil guaranteed...the totals were the same for 5 years

..the difference loosely being the 3rd year guaranteed...

4 years  $60 mil and 5 years - $70 mil ..... almost the same thing.

Unless the reports lie.....LeVeon turned $15 mil a year down...

Bell wanted (and still wants) QB money...$18-$20 mil per year

He says he's the best in the NFL.

Not some 'Gurley man'

16 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Very very true.

He also is only one year removed from a season where he put up a measly 1200 total yards and only 6 scores and 3.2 yards per carry.

My only point is that if he cashes in on one elite year and gets $15M annually, then the guy who has put up around 1800 total yards and double digit or so scores in 3 of the last 4 years has a strong leg to stand on that he deserves at least the same.

I totally understand the NFL trend to not pay RBs, especially aging ones. I don't fault the Steelers one bit. I just also will always side w players trying to maximize their earnings when you consider these guys have such short careers and they make crazy bank for their teams.

I am happy Gurley got paid and I hope Bell has a great year and then someone pays him what he is worth as well.

I would agree ..except for the part about the short careers....and how much 'they' make for their teams.  No one deserves to be paid for the rest of their life in a few years.

Everybody has the right to try to maximize their earnings but no one is disrespecting you if you they dont pay you as much as you want.  I side with the owners there

..and football is a team sport. Everyone is needed and that's why there's a salary structure.

The Steelers make 'crazy bank' whether LeVeon plays or not..as they proved when he was suspended

56 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Gurley basically accepted the contract that LeVeon Bell turned down....and he was wise to do so. 

$45 mil guaranteed to $33 mil guaranteed...the totals were the same for 5 years

..the difference loosely being the 3rd year guaranteed...

4 years  $60 mil and 5 years - $70 mil ..... almost the same thing.

Unless the reports lie.....LeVeon turned $15 mil a year down...

Bell wanted (and still wants) QB money...$18-$20 mil per year

He says he's the best in the NFL.

Not some 'Gurley man'

The Gurley man got the cash :funny:

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Superman said:

Waiting to see actual structure, but that's a strong deal. He'll probably shut up about a strike now that he's getting paid.

And what about Aaron Donald??

Indeed....do they have any money left?? Seems like everyone is getting paid there except the very best defensive lineman in football!! Crazy!

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I would agree ..except for the part about the short careers....and how much 'they' make for their teams.  No one deserves to be paid for the rest of their life in a few years.

Everybody has the right to try to maximize their earnings but no one is disrespecting you if you they dont pay you as much as you want.  I side with the owners there

..and football is a team sport. Everyone is needed and that's why there's a salary structure.

The Steelers make 'crazy bank' whether LeVeon plays or not..as they proved when he was suspended

Shoot, structure it like that pro baseball player did decades back.

Get paid 1 - 1.5 mil a year guaranteed until the day he dies. That's only like 60 million or so. 

I mean does anyone really need more than that per year to live? 

On 7/24/2018 at 7:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This article does a good job of breaking down the details that have been reported, and includes some analysis from Joel Corry, former NFL agent who generally knows his stuff: https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/07/new-contract-numbers-for-rams-rb-todd-gurley-have-surfaced/

And Florio gives great detail here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/inside-todd-gurleys-new-deal/

Fully guaranteed at signing is $21.95m, which is his Year 1 cash. Another $18.05m guaranteed for injury (salaries and roster bonuses into 2020, Year 3). In theory, as long as Gurley can pass a reasonable physical at the end of 2018, the Rams can cut him and not owe him anything more than the $21.95m that he's due in 2018. They would have a $16.8m cap penalty if they were to cut him, so that's not likely to happen.

His 2019 salary isn't fully guaranteed until the 3rd day of the 2019 league year; but his 2020 roster bonus is fully guaranteed that same day, so it's a rolling guarantee. If they were to cut him after 2019, they would still owe him the 2020 roster bonus of $7.55m, and the cap penalty would be $20.15m. So that's not likely to happen either.

His 2020 salary is fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2020 league year. No future money is guaranteed. By 2021, assuming they don't restructure any salary/bonus before then, they can release him with a cap penalty of $8.4m. Still not likely, but it would save them $5m in cap space and $9m in cash. And that's presumably the first year of the new CBA, so I'm sure they're looking at that as their first decision point. (That might be partly why they went ahead and did the contract now.)

So, $22m fully guaranteed at signing, another $18m guaranteed for injury and likely to be paid. So reporting this as $40m guaranteed is reasonable.

It sounds like the Steelers offer to Bell would not have paid him $22m in Year 1, so Gurley's deal might actually be better. I don't necessarily believe that they would have offered him less than the $14.5m that he's earning on the franchise tag, so I don't think the $10m guaranteed figure is telling the whole story. 

Gurley is now under contract for the next six years, and his scheduled earnings are $69.5m (plus another $2.5m in incentives, I'm not sure where those fit in). Contract reporting calls this a four year extension at $14.375m/year. In reality, it's a six year deal at $11.6m/year. Either way, still way above what NFL backs have been making since Adrian Peterson.

$45,000,000 guaranteed. So much for the standard operating procedure by GMs that the running back position is a devalued one now. Todd just set a new floor.

You can make the argument he's an anomaly, but it's not like Todd is the next Barry Sanders either. I like Gurley & I am pleased to see him get fiscal respect BTW.