Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Oline is one of our strengths...

coltsfeva

As CB stated, think of what that does for everything else: the run game, Andrew’s health, the defense being able to rest, running out the clock. And if by chance the Oline dominates, it’s got to pump up the defense.

Last year, the Oline almost “beat” 1997 all-time Colts’ record of 62 sacks. (They ended giving up 56 but some of that was due to scheme and Brissett trying to learn a new system). 

But the thing that gives me hope for a turnaround is knowing that it was done before.

After that 1997 season, the Oline started to gel, possibly in part because of Peyton’s quick release and new schemes. The Colts had Glenn Saturday and Meadows but later added McKinney, DeMulling and Diem.      Once together, there were a few years where they gave up less than a sack per game. And many in the low 20s. .....Pretty impressive and I wonder where they would be on an all-time NFL list.....

I know it’s harder to keep players together now but I’m believing they are starting to build what could be a long term line.

Even if they have to play vets like Slauson, Mewhort and Howard until guys like Good, Smith or a rookie OLineman next year win the job, I’m excited about the future.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

As CB stated, think of what that does for everything else: the run game, Andrew’s health, the defense being able to rest, running out the clock. And if by chance the Oline dominates, it’s got to pump up the defense.

Last year, the Oline almost “beat” 1997 all-time Colts’ record of 62 sacks. (They ended giving up 56 but some of that was due to scheme and Brissett trying to learn a new system). 

But the thing that gives me hope for a turnaround is knowing that it was done before.

After that 1997 season, the Oline started to gel, possibly in part because of Peyton’s quick release and new schemes. The Colts had Glenn Saturday and Meadows but later added McKinney, DeMulling and Diem.      Once together, there were a few years where they gave up less than a sack per game. And many in the low 20s. .....Pretty impressive and I wonder where they would be on an all-time NFL list.....

I know it’s harder to keep players together now but I’m believing they are starting to build what could be a long term line.

Even if they have to play vets like Slauson, Mewhort and Howard until guys like Good, Smith or a rookie OLineman next year win the job, I’m excited about the future.

Yes, the Future is bright with our OL and Ballard.

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

Just hoping Ballard continues to build inside out, and not outside in

Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball. Keep adding to the fronts, the back ends will take care of themselves 

Next offseason I hope Ballard brings in a stud DT and better LBers. Probably need another CB next to Wilson also. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I think that is what we are all hoping for.   A good O-line can help every position on the team in one way or another.   Moreso than any other position besides maybe a high caliber QB.  

However, although the O-line should certainly be better, I'm not sure it has gone from one of our weaknesses to one of our strengths yet.  

24 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Next offseason I hope Ballard brings in a stud DT and better LBers. Probably need another CB next to Wilson also. 

Well BP, if Mr. Nate Davis is correct and the Colts land at 2-14 with the #1 overall pick. Colts could trade back and get a massive haul and take Gary from Michigan or one of the Clemson DL

Gonna be a great defensive line draft next year

I don't even know which makes me happiest: the fact that our GM spent the first two draft picks on offensive linemen; the fact that Chud won't be calling the plays and I won't be finishing a whole plate of nachos while both me and the Colts quarterback wait for receivers to come out of their breaks on 3rd and 6;  or speculating which Jaguar Quenton Nelson is going to Tea Bag first.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Same, we are not finished with the building of the inside yet. A good penetrating 3-tech would be a great addition, and there looks like there is going to be some talent in the next draft class here. Im hoping though, for some players to step up. If Turay, Leonard and Walker Jr. go well this year, that would be a massive boost to this team. Would love for Smith to beat out Slauson too as the year progresses, although its understandable he learns from a vet in his first year.

6 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

I don't even know which makes me happiest: the fact that our GM spent the first two draft picks on offensive linemen; the fact that Chud won't be calling the plays and I won't be finishing a whole plate of nachos while both me and the Colts quarterback wait for receivers to come out of their breaks on 3rd and 6;  or speculating which Jaguar Quenton Nelson is going to Tea Bag first.

Just curious about something: some of us think * is a bit over the line, as far as good sportsmanship. We want to see Nelson dominate without that kind of tactic, which I wouldn’t want kids emulating.    Furthermore, you don’t think D linemen and LBs would take a shot at his knees ?

Some, like yourself see it as part of the game and there should be no flag for taunting. 

But let’s say he develops this reputation and the refs throw flags and he gets ejected a game or two. Wouldn’t you get a little frustrated with him ? 

I didn’t mean to get sidetracked away from the original topic but it does affect our Oline if he’s missing time due to ejection or hurting the offense by accumulating penalty yards.

• Like 2

People are taking the * a little far. He's really just sitting on them so they don't get up and get back into the play. Looks like yes bagging but I don't think that's the intent. Let's pump the brakes on the bad sportsmanship....we have been soft for a reason. I'm not soft, I do t want to watch a team that is soft. I want players who are nasty and show it on the field. That is always what football is about. Forcing your will on the opposing team. Not that soft butt participation trophy crap

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NewEra said:

People are taking the * a little far. He's really just sitting on them so they don't get up and get back into the play. Looks like yes bagging but I don't think that's the intent. Let's pump the brakes on the bad sportsmanship....we have been soft for a reason. I'm not soft, I do t want to watch a team that is soft. I want players who are nasty and show it on the field. That is always what football is about. Forcing your will on the opposing team. Not that soft butt participation trophy crap

You may be right, let’s see how it plays out. If he does draw flags for  “sitting” on someone’s face ( as opposed to the rest of their body), I could see flags flying and at that point, it hurts the team. 

Good sportsmanship has nothing to do with being soft. Reggie White was by no means soft, he played by the rules and was dominant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

You may be right, let’s see how it plays out. If he does draw flags for  “sitting” on someone’s face ( as opposed to the rest of their body), I could see flags flying and at that point, it hurts the team. 

Good sportsmanship has nothing to do with being soft. Reggie White was by no means soft, he played by the rules and was dominant.

The videos I e seen they were not all sitting the the face. Back, shoulder, body is what I've seen. You're making it seem like he intentionally was running around * pkayers

With the kind of rebuild we are doing with the defense, it would be nice for our offense to have sustained drives to keep the defense fresh and not tired. those 3 and out or turnovers just don't cut it. So I'm thinking our offensive line could very well play a big factor in how well we do on both sides of the ball this season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Well BP, if Mr. Nate Davis is correct and the Colts land at 2-14 with the #1 overall pick. Colts could trade back and get a massive haul and take Gary from Michigan or one of the Clemson DL

Gonna be a great defensive line draft next year

Or we could stay at 1 and take Ed Oliver out of Houston

What are the chances that Nate Davis is right? Let's see. On offense the Colts have what looks like really good O-line depth. They are getting the #1 draft pick quarterback back. They have at least 2-3 solid tight ends. They have decent wideouts with TY leading the way. It looks to me they will score points.

The defense is a question mark, but the fact that they'll be on the field less will improve them if only because they'll be fresher at the end of the game.

2-14? No way Nate!

19 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

But let’s say he develops this reputation and the refs throw flags and he gets ejected a game or two. Wouldn’t you get a little frustrated with him ?

First words Frank Reich says to Quenton Nelson over the phone on draft night:

“We can’t be more excited to have you as the cornerstone of what we are about to build.  We're expecting you to bring everything you got, that nasty attitude, that physicality..."

Chris Ballard on Quenton Nelson:

"He has everything we want. He's tough, passionate, he loves the game....He's nasty, he's tough and his football character is off the charts.”

"You take a guy like this, this tells your locker room what you stand for. When he walks [in] and they watch him work and watch him play, watch him practice, this is the standard. He stands for all the right things. Stands for team. Stands for pushing his teammates.”

Quenton Nelson on himself- before the draft:

“I also help the offense establish the run through my nastiness”

“I want to dominate all my opponents and take their will away to play the game (by) finishing them past the whistle”

Coltsfeva, I agree about kids and I don't want my son looking up to a player like like Ndamukong Suh.  But Ballard and Reich know what they are doing. They took Nelson for more than his blocking ability. Its seems clear to me they want Nelson to set the culture of the offensive line and the whole team like Larry Allen did for the Dallas Cowboys in the 90s.

I have confidence that Nelson isn’t going to be stupid and cost his team, and that Reich’s team isn’t going to develop a reputation of being dirty players. I’m also confident that very soon, people are going to stop using the word “soft” when discussing the Indianapolis Colts.

• Like 2

This thread title is a little alien to this fan base honestly......we hope for better, but honestly Colts fans have seen so bad for so long we are the least qualified to be able to identify o-line as a "strength", even if it ends up being just that.

For now, I will settle for "more gooder than before"  and let the outsiders tell me if its a strength in the end. But on paper we are 3/5th's of the way to an all star o line, and maybe 4/5ths if Braden can crack the line up.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

This thread title is a little alien to this fan base honestly......we hope for better, but honestly Colts fans have seen so bad for so long we are the least qualified to be able to identify o-line as a "strength", even if it ends up being just that.

For now, I will settle for "more gooder than before"  and let the outsiders tell me if its a strength in the end. But on paper we are 3/5th's of the way to an all star o line, and maybe 4/5ths if Braden can crack the line up.....

Well I don't know about being 'qualified' but I think I have been around the NFL long enough to know what qualifies as a strong offensive line. Your comment is a little insulting if you think about it.

I'm optimistic right now we are going to be better...but nothing has been proven on the field yet. I like what we have and really like our depth (we know injuries have killed us in the past) but promise and high draft picks have failed before....it still has to play out on the field. I'll be excited if and when it happens. I think CB has done just about as much as he can to improve the line...it will be up to the players to accomplish it though.