Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bashaud Breeland leaves Indy without deal

TKnight24

I'm speculating, but I feel like he will end up with us when it's all said and done.  Before he failed the physical he chose Carolina and they play almost the same exact style as Indy plays and the same exact style he played at Clemson.   I'm sure he also looked at the fact Carolina had a Franchise QB.   We have both of those situations here in Indy.  He could go with KC of course but I think you don't know what you're going to get with Mahomes. I wouldn't take Mahomes over Luck on no universe. I think he will go with the known producer.

Amazing how long this has played out...    but it appears it is not over.

Friday Breeland will be Cleveland.   Perhaps in 24 hours,  we will have a better idea.    

Will he sign there or leave?    If he leaves where will he go?    Back to Indy or elsewhere?     

Inquiring minds and all that....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Amazing how long this has played out...    but it appears it is not over.

Friday Breeland will be Cleveland.   Perhaps in 24 hours,  we will have a better idea.    

Will he sign there or leave?    If he leaves where will he go?    Back to Indy or elsewhere?     

Inquiring minds and all that....

with these free agents this year, i wonder what we are batting with guys we let leave without a deal that we have talked to a 2nd time?

21 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

with these free agents this year, i wonder what we are batting with guys we let leave without a deal that we have talked to a 2nd time?

I know...   I understand what you’re saying...   I don’t know how far apart we are,  but the encouraging news is that Holder tweet saying it’s not over. 

He's not making that up.   It likely comes from the Breeland camp since we have a reputation of not leaking.

Perhaps we are the high bidder already and Breekand wants to see if Cleve will offer more?   At least we appear to be leaving the door open.   That’s encouraging....   at least, a little.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Savage said:

Breeland is being patient and weighing all his options. There's nothing wrong with that.

Hey all the teams took their good time dealing with him so I can see why he's moving slow in the same way I guess.

Updated information on Bashaud Breeland:

Source tells me Chiefs offered a 1 year "prove it" type deal for around 7-8M but Breeland's camp wants a deal similar to the 3 year/24 million deal offered by Carolina in March.

— Carrington Harrison (@cdotharrison) July 26, 2018

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/7/25/17615522/report-bashaud-breeland-leaves-town-without-a-deal

Not sure if it’s out there, but free-agent CB Bashaud Breeland is in Indy then headed to CLV. He’s expected to make a decision Saturday. Chiefs also in the mix.

— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) July 26, 2018

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Source tells me Chiefs offered a 1 year "prove it" type deal for around 7-8M but Breeland's camp wants a deal similar to the 3 year/24 million deal offered by Carolina in March.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/7/25/17615522/report-bashaud-breeland-leaves-town-without-a-deal

If he's healthy I think he should get a similar deal.  

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Is he worth it?  I know we have the cap but CB has shown his cards when it comes to overpaying.  Wasn’t Melvin getting less?

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Is he worth it?  I know we have the cap but CB has shown his cards when it comes to overpaying.  Wasn’t Melvin getting less?

I believe Melvin was getting less.  But the fact is there was one team who signed Breeland to that contract.  I guess value is in the eyes of the beholder.  These players want to get paid and that's the primary motivator.   So in cases like this the GM's really earn their money.  The good ones win more than they lose.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I don't see Ballard doing that.

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think these one year prove it deals turn players off.  Especially in Breelands case.  He should only have to prove that he is healed from his injury and can prove it in his workouts.  If a team really values you and wants you to be part of their long term plans than they should be willing to give you a long term deal.  Especially a young player like Breeland.  If I was Breeland that one year prove it deal would turn me off.  Here's hoping Ballard offered him a longer deal along the likes of Simon or Sheard.  If he did than I think there is a good chance he becomes a Colt.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:15 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Disappointed? Really?

Ballard said he wasn't going to over spend in FA. The man is doing what he said. He has a plan. 

Ballard knows how to build a team more than we know.

Overspend ? They haven't spent hardly anything.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ok. Maybe Ballard was misquoted. Maybe he didn't say he wouldn't overspend in FA. Maybe he said he wouldn't spend in FA? Lol. 

Haha

Yeah, the plan is to develop and pay your own.  Chiefs have a great roster but QB has held them back.  Ballard was partly responsible for that and the Bears loaded Defenses in the mid 00s. We got the QB.  I don't think they are going to be any better than 9-7 tops this year though . I like Reich,  the new offense.  We will see. Unlike the previous regime starting spots will be earned.  

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ok. Maybe Ballard was misquoted. Maybe he didn't say he wouldn't overspend in FA. Maybe he said he wouldn't spend in FA? Lol. 

Haha

Ballard has a number in his head and hes not gonna budge on it. so its either take it or hit the bricks

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't see Ballard doing that.

It feels like Ballard has this one right.  Breeland is a desirable player, particularly in the new scheme, but not an impact player...and at a non-premium position to boot.  

Furthermore, the market dynamics are July not March.  So...it just doesn’t matter that much to Ballard if Breeland signs or not.  I’ll bet he’s made a very fair offer in the range of 6M per year.  75% of March would be a good deal for both sides in a scheme where Breeland has every chance to succeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Yeah, the plan is to develop and pay your own.  Chiefs have a great roster but QB has held them back.  Ballard was partly responsible for that and the Bears loaded Defenses in the mid 00s. We got the QB.  I don't think they are going to be any better than 9-7 tops this year though . I like Reich,  the new offense.  We will see. Unlike the previous regime starting spots will be earned.  

The QB in KC was Alex Smith, who enjoyed the best years of his career there.   The man who wanted Smith was the Head Coach,  Andy Reid.   The GM who did the deal was John Dorsey, who is now the GM in Cleveland.

I don’t think any of those guys have anything to feel bad about.  

Josina Anderson just reported on twitter that the Ravens have become "more aggressive" on Breeland and want him to fly to Baltimore today after his Cleveland visit.  She says Jets are also now interested.  Something tells me we should not have let him leave the building.  I was really hoping he would become a Colt.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Josina Anderson just reported on twitter that the Ravens have become "more aggressive" on Breeland and want him to fly to Baltimore today after his Cleveland visit.  She says Jets are also now interested.  Something tells me we should not have let him leave the building.  I was really hoping he would become a Colt.  

We do not know what he wants, what we offered, or what other teams will pay/offer.  Apparently we have a price in mind, and he wants to shop for highest pay/ longest /most guaranteed $ contract.  (as he should)  He either eventually likes our offer in the end, or he takes what he feels is a better deal elsewhere.

I have no doubt our Pro Player department, along with help from the college scouting department, are looking at the other NFL teams overstocked with players at certain positions we are thin at. Evaluating (archived scouting notes, college tape, pro tape if not a rookie, and pre-season games) who is likely to be released from those teams, and if any of them might be determined to be better than what we currently have.  I feel there are some talented guys out there that will not seem to fit in many of the 3-4 teams systems out there, and will drop in nicely into our new scheme.  If they are released, we could well swoop in and grab one or two should it happen.

• Like 1