Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

USA Today Writer releases predictions

TKnight24

So an under/badly utilized Marlon Mack who still avg'd almost 4 ypc last doesn't count as a running game?  I have a hard time believing Hines is going to be a bust as well.  That guy has talent written all over him.  So for the Colts to have no running game, Mack is going to have to regress and be poorly utilized, worse than last year, Hines is going to have to be a no show and Turbin when he comes back will be poor.  THAT is no running game.  That and none of the other RBs on the roster will have to pan out. 

I actually see the Colts getting very creative and not bland with the running game this year.  It honestly should be average at worst with the potential of being pretty $!)#($* dynamic.  

• Like 1

Predictions are predictions and when you predict the whole league, someone’s gotta finish last.

but man...us? 2-14? That’s crazy.

But forget the colts for a second, some of these OTHER predictions are flat crazy.

Jags go 12-4 with the first seed? You don’t win first seed when you have the worst QB in a division. 

Seahawks 4-12? Russel Wilson is too good for that. He’s never gone worse than 9-7. No way AZ with an injury prone Bradford finish higher.

Broncos 9-7? Who’s playing QB?

Keenum isn’t on a stacked Vikes squad no more.

Jeez. 

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So true. What I saw last year in the playoffs is that other AFC South teams are just as capable as the Colts of going to New England & losing, which is all that Tennessee & Jacksonville really accomplished at the end of the day.

They also both accomplished making the playoffs. And they both won playoff games and Jags came within 1 game frpm going to a Super Bowl.

The colts accomplished earning the 3rd overall pick in draft.

10 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Since the Colin Cowherd thread, guess it’s only right we have the anti thread of that one. 2-14 for the Indianapolis Colts and the #1 overall pick 

Now, we all know there’s a million question marks around this team..... but 2 less wins than last season’s train wreck? So much would have to go wrong 

From the article: “Indianapolis Colts (2-14): Even if Andrew Luck has made a complete recovery, his supporting cast hasn't — crippling in a once-downtrodden division that's transformed in Luck's absence.”

:coltshelmet:

He has Chargers/Falcons for Super Bowl 53

yeeeeeeaaaah.....I remember when I had my first beer............

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I have seen a warning label on a hammer. A freaking hammer. 

They have instructions on how to open a dang Hersey Bar...

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

They also both accomplished making the playoffs. And they both won playoff games and Jags came within 1 game frpm going to a Super Bowl.

And that's the only thing those two teams have done in 20 years...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Well, last offseason i thought Heath "the groper" Evans was crazy with his harsh prediction for the Colts w/l record.

i guess in-between motor-boating and playing hide the linguini, he was paying a lil attention to football too.

The problem with his prediction was, he was predicting that not knowing Luck would miss the season. He got lucky. If anyone predicts that now, to me it is just silly. 

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Because they started putting instructions and warning labels on everything, thwarting Darwinism and thus allowing stupid people to live long enough to reproduce 

Hands down my favorite reply is this thread Cspr. Well said. :thmup:

If you have to pass a test to get a driver's license, some people should undergo a rigorous process before they are permitted to procreate or be given any sharp objects in which to document their thoughts. 2 wins USA Today? Time for a urine sample. Let's see, what's floating around in your bloodstream ASAP shall we...

• Like 3

They won more than that last year with a backup QB who wasn't even here in the pre-season, a worse OL, and worse coaching.  The defense may or may not be any better but it sure as hell isn't worse!  And they had a LEAD in the 4th quarter in most of those games they ended up losing, so it wasn't like they were getting consistently waxed out there.  I don't see how with all the additions (and the addition by subtraction) they made they could possibly be even worse, even WITHOUT Luck, let alone with him.

Now, I will say his prediction for the Colts last year was nearly correct, so he has that going for him.  Other than that, I don't see any way they could not win at least 3 games this season.  I wish Vegas would jump on that action.  I'd pay off my mortgage!

23 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

This is laughable.

We had 4 wins last year with no Luck and terrible coaching! 

I cant remember the exact stats but sure we were winning at half time in a few more of those games and were competitive until the fourth quarter in almost all of them.

The difference new coaching, Andrew Luck (even with a bit of rust) and some young fresh talent can make, means our floor must be 6 wins IMO.

Yeah, he’s probably from New York these corn fed Hoosiers can’t play football...lol

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Reasonable.  Are you taking the over?  If I had to bet real money, I’m not sure I would if it’s 7.5.  

I consider this a ‘no pressure’ season. No one is expecting us to win.

i wouldnt put money on us getting 8 or more wins but im not taking the under either

it will probably come down to our health and how many bounces go our way, not a great year to bet on the colts either way 

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

My point still stands. Saying that the rest of the south has "blown" by the Colts because they had 1 bad year without the franchise QB sidelined, & predicting that they'll be the worst team in the league & only win 2 games is a complete joke.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

My point still stands. Saying that the rest of the south has "blown" by the Colts because they had 1 bad year without the franchise QB sidelined, & predicting that they'll be the worst team in the league & only win 2 games is a complete joke.

I don’t care what people predict, but I completely agree.  

The Jags are the ‘class’ of the division because of their D.  That D gave up 42 points to a team with a great O in the playoffs.  Not saying our O is great...yet, but I think we’ll be able to compete with them.  

No one can argue that the Texans are the same without their franchise QB.  Let’s see what they can do after D coordinators have has an off-season to study him.  (Keep him in the pocket!)

Titans fire their coach after winning a playoff game?  I think they’re a good team that got better, on paper.  No clue how they’ll perform this season.  We always seemed to match up pretty well.  They’re as much a question mark as us IMO.

Along with Davis' obviously underrating the Colts, I think he has overrated the Jags. Sure they had great numbers on D last year, but when you consider they were playing backups from Indy, Houston and the rest of their schedule last year as compared to this year; and their persistent mediocrity at QB, they could fall all the way to 8-8 or 9-7. So Mr. Davis, you can put that in your pipe (with whatever else is in there) and smoke it.

What if our new coaching staff are worse than the last lot. What if Andrew comes back very rusty. What if our fledgling running game is toothless. What if TY gets injured. What if our draft picks are busts. What if our new D is just as bad as last year. What if Doyle and Ebron get the dropsies. What if Vinateti finally drops off the edge. What if someone actually enjoyed Ugly Betty.

Anything is possible. 

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

What if our new coaching staff are worse than the last lot. What if Andrew comes back very rusty. What if our fledgling running game is toothless. What if TY gets injured. What if our draft picks are busts. What if our new D is just as bad as last year. What if Doyle and Ebron get the dropsies. What if Vinateti finally drops off the edge. What if someone actually enjoyed Ugly Betty.

Anything is possible. 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I had to google the Ugly Betty reference.  This season prediction, while I think is off base, is just as valid than anyone who says the Colts go 10-6.  Until they play, NO ONE knows for sure.  

Personally I see no way the Colts lose 14 games and the Jags win 12.  Not with a healthy Luck and Bortles.  I believe the general theme of this set of predictions is laziness - as in the Colts were bad last year and will be bad again this year and vice versa with the Jags.  But they line em up in September and we get to see who's smart and who is clueless.

9 hours ago, jskinnz said:

IThis season prediction, while I think is off base, is just as valid than anyone who says the Colts go 10-6.  Until they play, NO ONE knows for sure.  

I disagree.   The Colts really didn't lose much anywhere.   Even without Luck, 4-12 would have been the lowest win total that could be considered a valid pick.  

While Luck is the X factor, he only makes a difference between 4-12 or 11-5.   2-14 is outside the range of any educated pick.   Nate is not showing any education.  

On 7/19/2018 at 12:01 PM, TKnight24 said:

Could be wrong, but believe Colts lead at halftime in 9 games last season

Team isn’t as bad as folks make it. Brissett got to the team late and still put up 4 wins 

Unless Scott Tolzien is the starting QB opening day against Cincinnati, it’s gonna take a avalanche of bad things for the Colts to only get 2 wins 

If tolzien starts we wont win a game

2 wins with Luck is a really bold (dumb) bet. 

Here's the real question though. Is the prediction of a bad season that off? It might be, but I doubt there's any fan base right now looking at Indy and not calling them the easy "W" (who's hungry?). I'm sure that the Texans, Titans and Jags all think they're better and probably by a wide margin.

I haven't really mapped out what I think this season will be like. I know last year at this time, my vibe about the season was bleak. It's obviously better now, but a 8-8 (7-9, 9-7) type season might be what this team can do based on variables that have nothing to do with Luck's health. If he's not good, 2 wins, sure, whatever.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, DaColts85 said:

Nate who? USA Today has a sports writer? Well if they had a sports page they just lost a little more credibility.

USAToday is the worst fish wrap in this country.  Sucks like WaPo, NYTimes, LA crud and all Gannett wraps.  IndyStar is a running joke. 

• 3 weeks later...

It is really tough to pick an AFC Champion this season. I just don't see Jacks winning the Conference with Bortles at QB. I am not buying any team in the AFC West as winning the Conference either. Pittsburgh looks like they are on the verge of getting worse as each season passes too. Until proven otherwise, I still think the Patriots win the Conference. Nobody is strong enough to beat them plain and simple. I think their run is coming close to an end but they will still be Very Good to Great this season.

-In the NFC, I think Philly will be Very Good but not Great. It's tough to Repeat. I like The Vikings and Rams alot. I think this is the year that the Vikings break through and win the NFC and the SB. I love their Defense and Coaching, also Cousins is an upgrade compared to Keenum at QB. Dalvin Cook will be back at RB as well. 

-My League MVP = Aaron Rodgers. The Packers won't win the NFC North Division as the Vikings will but they will still go 11-5 and be a Wildcard. Rodgers will put up huge numbers and get MVP IMO. 

-I have the Vikings at 12-4, Patriots 12-4 meeting in SB 53. Vikings come out winning. If that happens, losing 2 SB's in a row may be enough to make Brady want to call it quits?

-Regarding the Colts, I have them finishing 9-7 and by the LUCK of the draw making the Playoffs as a 6th Seed in the AFC. Some 9-7 teams get in, some don't. 

28 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

This writer is very stupid. He has the Browns winning more games than the Colts

It's not hard to understand why anyone would think the Browns may be better than the Colts.

It is only an opinion but him having that opinion does not make him stupid. It may just mean he is wrong.

To be honest the Browns could very well end up with a better record than the Colts. With that said you think I am stupid for thinking that?

On 7/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, TKnight24 said:

Since the Colin Cowherd thread, guess it’s only right we have the anti thread of that one. 2-14 for the Indianapolis Colts and the #1 overall pick 

Now, we all know there’s a million question marks around this team..... but 2 less wins than last season’s train wreck? So much would have to go wrong 

From the article: “Indianapolis Colts (2-14): Even if Andrew Luck has made a complete recovery, his supporting cast hasn't — crippling in a once-downtrodden division that's transformed in Luck's absence.”

I think its a little premature to narrow it down to a single Superbowl champ. However, My final four teams would be.... Ravens and Jags (AFC) and Saints and Vikings (NFC)

Ravens - because this is Ozzie's last season

Jags - They are pound for pound best in AFC south and I don't think Ravens/Jags can beat the Pats now.

Saints - Undeniable QB play and coaching, They were one play away from going to the conf game last year.

Vikings - They have a solid all around team. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, TKnight24 said:

Once again a pundit stirs the pot. Trying to get people up in arms so it will raise his visibility

Here's an interesting statistical tidbit  about the Colts defense in 2017 from Football Outsiders' Aaron Schatz:

The Colts were actually above average defense on 1st and 2nd down. The problem was ... we were historically bad defense(like worst since 1980 or something of the sort) on 3d down. Football outsiders expect this to regress and the Colts to be better and settle into a slightly below average defense. If this happens and if our offense is as good as it has always been with Luck, we can expect surprises.