Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darrelle Revis Retires

NFLfan

Surprised to see no thread on the retirement of one of the best cornerbacks that I have had the pleasure to watch, Darrelle Revis. He completely shut down some of the best WRs. The guy was so dominant that he had an island named after him. 

I believe he is a Hall of Famer, possibly even on the first ballot. Some Jets fans and others disagree. What does everyone else think? 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24130233/former-pro-bowl-cornerback-darrelle-revis-announces-retirement

BTW, one Jets fan reported that Pats Pulpit said his best year was with the Pats. Lol. His best seasons were with the Jets before the trade to TB.

• Like 3

Revis was quite good, fantastic at his best.  Yet I've watched others that I rate above Revis-

Champ Bailey - 12 Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro three times, 52 career interceptions, four returned for touchdowns

Mel Renfro - 10 Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro one time, 52 career interceptions

Darrell Green - seven Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro one time, Recorded 54 career interceptions

Aeneas Williams - eight Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro three times, 55 career interceptions

Mel Blount - five Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro two times, 57 career interceptions

Charles Woodson - nine Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro three times, 65 career interceptions (tied for fifth all-time) and returned 11 of those for touchdowns (tied for second all-time)

Mike Haynes - nine Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro two times, 46 career interceptions

Rod  Woodson - 11 Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro six times, 71 career interceptions, which ranks No. 3 on the all-time list

Deion Sanders - eight Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro six times, 53 career interceptions and returned nine of those for touchdowns, which ranks tied for fourth all-time

I might eventually even put Richard Sherman above him too.

Richard Sherman - four Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro three times, 30 career interceptions thus far.

Darrelle Revis -  seven Pro Bowls, First Team All-Pro four times, 29 career interceptions

I think Revis eventually gets into HOF, but his lack of INT's will possibly delay it to 2nd or 3rd ballot.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think Revis eventually gets into HOF, but his lack of INT's will possibly delay it to 2nd or 3rd ballot.

Can we find a stat showing how many times QBs targeted the man that Revis and other CBs were defending? It is hard to get INTs if QBs are not throwing in your direction. 

But the low # of INTs compared to the others you listed is glaring. Perhaps that is why many Jets fans thought he would not be a HoFer. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Can we find a stat showing how many times QBs targeted the man that Revis and other CBs were defending? It is hard to get INTs if QBs are not throwing in your direction. 

But the low # of INTs compared to the others you listed is glaring. Perhaps that is why many Jets fans thought he would not be a HoFer. 

Yeah I was surprised to see Revis only had 29 but alot of teams for about a 5 year stretch didn't throw his way like you said. I say he gets in on 2nd Ballot, at very worse 3rd Ballot. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was surprised to see Revis only had 29 but alot of teams for about a 5 year stretch didn't throw his way like you said. I say he gets in on 2nd Ballot, at very worse 3rd Ballot. 

I also wonder how much it has to do with scheme. For example, Mike Zimmer does not have players go for INTs. I think The X-man (Xavier Rhodes) is one of the better corners but he does not have many INTs. He has only 9 career INTs. A youngster like Marcus Peters has more than double (19 in only 45 games) and he is already on his second team. While Peters gets lots of INTs, he also gives up many big plays. X-man rarely gives up big plays. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 6:49 AM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I saw a video of his career highlights... it seemed like yesterday the Revis Island was in existence every game. My how time flies.

Congrats and good luck Mr. Revis, it was a pleasure watching you

You're just getting older haha.. As are all of us.....

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 7:56 AM, NFLfan said:

I also wonder how much it has to do with scheme. For example, Mike Zimmer does not have players go for INTs. I think The X-man (Xavier Rhodes) is one of the better corners but he does not have many INTs. He has only 9 career INTs. A youngster like Marcus Peters has more than double (19 in only 45 games) and he is already on his second team. While Peters gets lots of INTs, he also gives up many big plays. X-man rarely gives up big plays. 

it has a lot to do with scheme imo.  

the guys with the most ints in recent eras usually played in zones like ed reed, bailey, woodson and sherman.  i think peters is mostly in man coverage, but he doesnt have as many as those guys either.  i cant remember what deion played, i think it might have been a combination of both  

QBs learned not to test revis in man coverage, while the guys above were sneaky and good at baiting the qb to throw into their zones 

• Like 1

Reevis was the king at getting paid for his shutdown services & he got his Championship along the way too. I see a yellow jacket in his future as well.

Smart, well dressed, & Mr. money bags for sure. He had nothing else to prove in my mind.