Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowherd AFC south predictions

boo2202

With a lot of post about record predictions, I thought I would post his predictions.

1. Texans 10-6

2. Colts 9-7

3. Jags 8-8

4. Titans 7-9 ( I think)

says having Reich and better oline will help luck. Thinks our dline is better than what people perceive. We don't leave Lucas oil the whole month of November.

if the jags finish 3rd in the division, would be great. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

With a lot of post about record predictions, I thought I would post his predictions.

1. Texans 10-6

2. Colts 9-7

3. Jags 8-8

4. Titans 7-9 ( I think)

says having Reich and better oline will help luck. Thinks our dline is better than what people perceive. We don't leave Lucas oil the whole month of November.

If Luck plays the whole year I think the top to are switched around we are 10-6 and Texans are 9-7.

I’d love to hear his logic on the Jags.  Most are predicting great things since their only weakness is at QB.  And Bortles played decently at the end of last year.  

Usually Cowherd makes sense, but I’m rerving judgement on this one.  

• Like 2

I do like Watson but lets see how he comes back off of the injury and with teams respecting him more. I can see us going 9-7 but I also can see the Jags and Texans being right there with us. Jags can still push a 10-6 record. Their D is solid and Bortles is bad but good thing they do not heavily rely on him.

I would say

Jags - 10-6

Colts/Texans - 9-7

Titans 7-9

Just my prediction anyways.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I’d love to hear his logic on the Jags.  Most are predicting great things since their only weakness is at QB.  And Bortles played decently at the end of last year.  

His jags prediction was based on them losing hurns and Robinson. Said bortles and their receiving core is lacking. Mentioned that they lost a couple games last year to weaker opponents. He doesn't see them going a combined 4-0 vs colts and Texans this year.

We all assume jags will be dominant this year. But truth is they went 10-6 last year and bortles is still their QB. Yes their Defensive is very good but what happens when they play teams with elite QB play? Take their run game away and they'll struggle to keep up. Not sure about their redzone offense last year but assume it was middle of the pack. They remind me of the past Baltimore teams with Lewis, Suggs, etc. Their defense was great but still failed against manning, Brady, and Ben. 

Two keys, "If Luck" and "If Watson" sum up those two teams. Tennessee is a non-issue and Jacksonville should take the division and possibly sweep it. Way too early but both Houston and Indy will need to start strong because they face the Eagles early, game 3 I think so beat Cincy and Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000940777/article/afc-south-training-camp-preview-key-players-to-watch

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Wr too. their starting wrs are mariquese Lee and moncrief. that doesn't scare anyone

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lost his mind on this one.

Thanks for the in depth analysis.   

He thinks Bortles sucks,  and now has no one to throw to.  That defense is legit,   but the O is the big question mark.   Every team in the south has huge question marks.   We will see what happens. 

I been hesitant on the Jags ALL offseason. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but man I do NOT believe in them this year. At all.

They have an amazing defense and great run game. Awesome. Their QB still sucks. They swept Indy and Houston last year. They aren't gonna do that again this year, since Luck and DW are back. They have a first place schedule now. Gotta play Pittsburgh, and NE, and Philly, and KC, and an improved AFC south. They're a good football team, but their schedule and the fact that they have the worst QB in the division just seeps of letdown year to me.

My prediction

Houston 11-5

Indy 9-7

Titans 8-8

Jags 7-9

32 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Boy has this franchise really fallen by the waste side. Now, 9-7 is a reason to celebrate around here.

Now, by "waste side" do you mean urine and/or fecal matter,  or just a general kind of waste, like kitchen garbage?

41 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Boy has this franchise really fallen by the waste side. Now, 9-7 is a reason to celebrate around here.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "fallen by the wayside".

Also, I don't think anyone is celebrating a 9-7 season, they are just making a prediction.

• Like 2

I am interested to see how well Watson performs now that teams respect him and if he can adapt to the defensive changes that are no doubt coming his way.  Most people thought Dak Prescott would tear it up last year and teams adjusted to him and he wasn't as effective.  Watson will have to adjust as well to stay effective IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just listened to what Cowherd spewed out of his mouth and came to the conclusion that I just wasted five minutes of my life. Cowherd is probably a quarter of notch above Skip Bayless on the expert scale. They're just radio personalities, not football experts. I'll hit on some of his takes:

1.Hou-He starts off by saying Deshaun Watson is back and that's all he really needs to say about Houston. I know Watson lit it up last year and looked pretty damn good but he's coming off an ACL and their O-Line is the worst in the league. He'll be running for his life this season and I highly doubt he'll be healthy all season with all the hits he's going to take. Get ready for the Brandon Weeden show after that. He then says Tyrann Mathieu is past his prime. Really? He turned 26 in May. 

2.Indy- Started off by saying Luck is back and that he could drop the mic there. He continued to say, the last time Luck was healthy the Colts went 11-5 and that the roster is way better now than it was back then. Is it way better? I think it's a little early to make that call. A lot of young guys on the team that haven't played a down in the NFL. He continues to hit on how the Colts have a new coaching staff and Luck finally has an offensive minded coach and that should be a huge plus. I'll agree with that. He hits on the interior O-Line being a strength now. He says they picked up Sheard from New England. Yea dude, he played on the team last year as well. To me it seemed like he just had his Luck blinders on and didn't hit on the defensive woes.

3.Jax- He stated the obvious in that Bortles sucks and that he his now down his two best WR in Robinson and Hurns. What? Bortles does suck but Robinson played about five minutes last season before he got hurt and Hurns hasn't been much of a factor in the last two seasons. Robinson and Hurns best years were when the Jags were getting smoked and Bortles had to throw the ball 50 times a game while playing catch up. These Jags win with an Elite Defense and pounding the rock with Fournette. Bortles doesn't have to make a lot plays with his arm. However, he does have to make plays with his legs. If he didn't run the ball he would likely be out of the league right now because his timing and accuracy might be the worst in the league.

4.Ten-He basically just hits on the new coaching staff and new scheme and that it will take awhile to gel. Hard to really argue that. He talks about Ten losing Demarco Murray but then hits on them picking up Dion Lewis. It didn't really make since to call Murray a big lose and then to turn around and say "they picked up Murray, who I like". He hit on Mariotta not being a vocal guy in a vocal league. He didn't mention their defense at all. I believe their defense will be their strong suit this year and will win them some games and keep them in most games. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I just listened to what Cowherd spewed out of his mouth and came to the conclusion that I just wasted five minutes of my life. Cowherd is probably a quarter of notch above Skip Bayless on the expert scale. They're just radio personalities, not football experts. I'll hit on some of his takes:

1.Hou-He starts off by saying Deshaun Watson is back and that's all he really needs to say about Houston. I know Watson lit it up last year and looked pretty damn good but he's coming off an ACL and their O-Line is the worst in the league. He'll be running for his life this season and I highly doubt he'll be healthy all season with all the hits he's going to take. Get ready for the Brandon Weeden show after that. He then says Tyrann Mathieu is past his prime. Really? He turned 26 in May. 

2.Indy- Started off by saying Luck is back and that he could drop the mic there. He continued to say, the last time Luck was healthy the Colts went 11-5 and that the roster is way better now than it was back then. Is it way better? I think it's a little early to make that call. A lot of young guys on the team that haven't played a down in the NFL. He continues to hit on how the Colts have a new coaching staff and Luck finally has an offensive minded coach and that should be a huge plus. I'll agree with that. He hits on the interior O-Line being a strength now. He says they picked up Sheard from New England. Yea dude, he played on the team last year as well. To me it seemed like he just had his Luck blinders on and didn't hit on the defensive woes.

3.Jax- He stated the obvious in that Bortles sucks and that he his now down his two best WR in Robinson and Hurns. What? Bortles does suck but Robinson played about five minutes last season before he got hurt and Hurns hasn't been much of a factor in the last two seasons. Robinson and Hurns best years were when the Jags were getting smoked and Bortles had to throw the ball 50 times a game while playing catch up. These Jags win with an Elite Defense and pounding the rock with Fournette. Bortles doesn't have to make a lot plays with his arm. However, he does have to make plays with his legs. If he didn't run the ball he would likely be out of the league right now because his timing and accuracy might be the worst in the league.

4.Ten-He basically just hits on the new coaching staff and new scheme and that it will take awhile to gel. Hard to really argue that. He talks about Ten losing Demarco Murray but then hits on them picking up Dion Lewis. It didn't really make since to call Murray a big lose and then to turn around and say "they picked up Murray, who I like". He hit on Mariotta not being a vocal guy in a vocal league. He didn't mention their defense at all. I believe their defense will be their strong suit this year and will win them some games and keep them in most games. 

What's funny is jags lost to cardinals, jets, and Titans twice last year. I just don't see why everybody thinks this team is super bowl bond. Yes defense is great but what happens when bortles has to win the game for you? 

7 hours ago, boo2202 said:

1. Texans 10-6

2. Colts 9-7

3. Jags 8-8

4. Titans 7-9 ( I think)

Here’s the link. You can post it in the OP if you wish 

As of now I agree with Cowherd regarding exactly what he said about the Colts. I also have us at 9-7. Here is my early predictions for the Division:

1. Jags = but only 10-6, they will be the hunted now and Bortles can have some stinkers. Their Defense and Running game is what makes them the strongest team in the Division. They wont be dominant because of Bortles but should win 10 games.

2. Colts 9-7 (assuming Luck is 100%)

3. Texans 9-7 (assuming Watson is 100%)

4. Titans 8-8

-I don't think 1 team has a losing record in the Division. I put the Colts at #2 because in the end I am just guessing they will have the tiebreaker over the Texans. 

• Like 1

The only thing I can agree on in this thread is that there will only be a difference of 2 or three wins from first place to last place.......Bortles and WR's is the question mark in Jax......Watson/O-line/Watt and Mercilus health in Houston, Coach scheme and Mariotta in Tenn. Luck/staff/scheme draft pick development for us.....lots of "potential" good all around in this division, but no team is so rock solid that there isn't question marks.

Do any of you really take anything Cowturd says seriously?    The guy is wrong more than he is right.  For NFL stuff, it is easy to see he just reads a few articles on the teams and mixes in stuff from each.  

On the AFC South:

It's tough to call because all 4 teams have strengths and question marks.   I think any of them can win 10 games and any of them can lose 10 games.  But for the heck of it, here is mine.

Jags - 10-6

Colts - 9-7

Texans - 8-8

Titans - 7-9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Do any of you really take anything Cowturd says seriously?    The guy is wrong more than he is right.  For NFL stuff, it is easy to see he just reads a few articles on the teams and mixes in stuff from each.  

On the AFC South:

It's tough to call because all 4 teams have strengths and question marks.   I think any of them can win 10 games and any of them can lose 10 games.  But for the heck of it, here is mine.

Jags - 10-6

Colts - 9-7

Texans - 8-8

Titans - 7-9

That is close to what I have. I do have Indy at 9-7 finishing 2nd. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't put to much thought into his predictions as he is not diving into every aspect of each team like the local fan base does. He will give you his thoughts based on a 100 mile view and not up close (if that makes since). My thoughts on each team are:

Jax - Everyone just immediately hits on Bortles. He has been very mediocre, yes, but this year has not started yet. They still have one of the best lines in the league with adding Norwell, so the run game should actually improve a little. The 2 WR's leaving again has little to do with anything. One did not play last year and the other was not a huge factor (39erc 484yds 2tds). They drafted two WR's in DJ Chark and Allen Lazard that can both put up the same numbers as a rookie as Hurns did.  I have not even mentioned the Defense yet. You can look back many years and see teams that win and win big (SB) with a solid defense, solid offensive line, and good run game. Everything Jax has, and it pains me to say it! I can eat my words but I just do not see them not winning the title.

Hou - This is a team that has lost talent and does not look like they use to. You have Watt who might come back to his old self but might not. He also is a potential injury every year now. They added Mathieu but he is like Watt. This guy when 100% can be scary, but not to often is he 100%. On top of this people are putting everything on a sophmore QB coming off of a MCL tear. He is a talented player but his playing style needs to stay involving movement and if you add in a RG3 issue (i am not comparing the two) you have a guy that has his game altered and not the same. Their line is not great so his knee will be tested quickly. Do not see them winning the division and thinking more around 9-7 or 8-8.

Ten - I am just a huge fan of how they are built personally. The new staff and scheme could be a huge upgrade for them, but it could also not be. They have a decent defense that could be very good this year with a defensive coach. Their offense though is going to stay middle of the pack. I have never been huge on Mariota. Just do not see much there as anything great. He can make some throws but yet he just doesn't scare a defense.

Colts - With Luck back that is a huge upgrade to our offense. We have a lot of question marks. Hopefully our line is much improved to help create a pocket and a hole for the RB's. We have unknowns at both RB and WR. I feel like there is enough talent to get by and hope someone truly shines. This brings me back to Luck. If he comes in and can start playing at a high level, a little rust the first 3 games or so is understandable, but not causing loses. Our defense is also another huge question mark. Speaking with no bias I would say right now they look to be mid 20's overall and if we can get strong offensive production then you have that famous bend don't break D again. They key factors that could yet again hurt us is 1. not having anyone sack the QB 2. Having our LB's be suspect in coverage and plugging holes and allowing the RB's to get tackled by the safeties 3. The secondary being a potential hole and allowing a lot of yards. We have a lot of question marks and seeing the potential is great but this year could be 7-9 or 9-7. Make no mistake a 9-7 team would be very good.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Andrew Luck is 100% healthy, he is the best player in the Division is he not? It can't be Watt at this point as he keeps getting injured when he plays now - bad back = major problems. I would trust Luck staying healthy more than I would Watt right now. 

I agree, but I think the Colts are much more dependent on Luck than the Texans are on Watt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Savage said:

I know our division is pretty darn good right now, but come on man! If Andrew Luck plays a full 16 games then the Colts will win at least 10 games!

Our division is really not all that good, it's basically made up of (4) 9-7 caliber teams. Having said that, someone has to win it, & ultimately 1 of the teams will come out with 10 or 11 wins just by virtue of playing everyone else in the South. I think the Colts have just as good of a chance as any of the other 3 to be that team.

2 hours ago, bleevit said:

I just also read Nate Davis' prediction that the Colts will finish 2-14 (last in the league). I am nuts or did the Colts get better in the offseason?

The guy is an *.   Unless he knows Luck will not play.  

17 hours ago, bleevit said:

I just also read Nate Davis' prediction that the Colts will finish 2-14 (last in the league). I am nuts or did the Colts get better in the offseason?

Didn’t you hear? Colts got worse

Lost an aging Frank Gore

Lost a Top 10 HC in Chuck Pagano 

Still haven’t addressed their offensive line, it’s the worst in the league. Andrew Luck will be back on IR by week 4

This team has 0-16 written all over it. 

At least they’ll have the #1 overall pick and can trade it for a massive haul cause they’re not taking a QB in the draft. But who knows? Maybe it’s time to move on from Luck. Let’s draft Jake Browning out of Washington next draft :thmup:

:sarcasm:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

I grew up in the Manning era. 12-4 was a given. IT was SB or bust. 

I realize that times have changed. Maybe I should lower my expectations.

Actually expectations should be lowered a bit.   Luck is great, but he is not Manning yet.  

I think Luck gives the team +5 in the win column.   Manning was closer to +10.