Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turf being replaced at Lucas Oil Stadium

Steamboat_Shaun

On 7/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, ColtJ82 said:

I wonder if drainage will be added

I imagine that would be quite complicated and should have been done originally...

There's already a creek being pumped underneath the stadium, which is likely why the stadium seems so imposing (high) from the outside. The field level is higher than your typical stadium

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, MB-ColtsFan said:

Call me the odd one, but I still love that logo at midfield.  The only thing I could think of replacing it with - reluctantly - would be the bucking colt (which I find it strange that there is no emoji for?).

Hmm...I was thinking replace the logo with Peyton's forehead lol....but the bucking colt would be nice. Maybe have the state of Indiana in white and the bucking colt in blue and a star where Indy is. Would work for me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, il vecchio said:

Let's go way out there and convert the surface to sand, like beach volleyball players play on (spherical granules that don't stick easily to your skin).  Playing half our games on that surface would about guarantee that the Colts would lead the league in fewest injuries, and that's a key to post-season success.

Sure, there wouldn't be quite as much speed, but that's true for both teams, and a big factor in reducing brain injuries.  The game would still be just as exciting.  Knee and hip injuries would drop, significantly, as would shoulder separations from reduced forces on ground impact. The players would love to have extended careers. Fans appreciate seeing their favorite players stick around longer, too.

Equipment changes would be minimal.  No need for cleats (that reduces hand injuries when stepped on). Just a light shoe with a good rubber sole. One stadium change required is that overhead lasers would need to be installed in order to still have lines. Overall, probably cheaper surface than turf, too.

What do you say, Mr Irsay? If you like the idea, I can send you my contact info so you can send me a check for my consulting work. And if Goodell dismisses the idea, remind him that lowering the league's liability for CTE greatly reduces league expenses, besides simply being moral.

Robert Edwards says let's rethink that.  http://dailysnark.com/throwback-pats-1st-round-pick-robert-edwards-gruesome-knee-injury-pro-bowl-flag-football-game/  Not sure playing in sand is any safer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Ya, cause that is what the Colts organization gives them to wear. However, that is not the symbol on our helmets or our field. Never has been and I don't think it should be. Like I said, it is a callback to a time when the team was not in Indy.

I don't see why it should be an issue. The team moved, but that doesn't mean the logo no longer applies, plus it would look a lot better on the field than that clip art helmet with the horseshoe that's on the field right now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't see why it should be an issue. The team moved, but that doesn't mean the logo no longer applies, plus it would look a lot better on the field than that clip art helmet with the horseshoe that's on the field right now.

So should we use the old dallas texans then? They were the predecessors to the Baltimore Colts.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, Narcosys said:

Ya, cause that is what the Colts organization gives them to wear. However, that is not the symbol on our helmets or our field. Never has been and I don't think it should be. Like I said, it is a callback to a time when the team was not in Indy.

It also can represent the long history of the team. Just a different point of view.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It also can represent the long history of the team. Just a different point of view.

Do we respect the history of the dallas texans? 

Regardless, respect the history but dont make it our symbol because we, as the Indianapolis Colts, have never had anything to do with it

16 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Do we respect the history of the dallas texans? 

Regardless, respect the history but dont make it our symbol because we, as the Indianapolis Colts, have never had anything to do with it

I see where you're coming from,but I have been a Colts fan since 1969 and location/city loyalty means little to me as far as a logo is concerned.  I love the bucking horse logo and my personal opinion is that using it shows no disrespect to the city of Indianapolis.

I find it odd that fans praise Johnny U for being a Colt even though he never played in Indy, yet they don't want the bucking horse logo since it was from when the team played in Baltimore.  Huh??  They both represent the team, not so much the city.  So, it seems inconsistent to me but, again, just my opinion.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I see where you're coming from,but I have been a Colts fan since 1969 and location/city loyalty means little to me as far as a logo is concerned.  I love the bucking horse logo and my personal opinion is that using it shows no disrespect to the city of Indianapolis.

I find it odd that fans praise Johnny U for being a Colt even though he never played in Indy, yet they don't want the bucking horse logo since it was from when the team played in Baltimore.  Huh??  They both represent the team, not so much the city.  So, it seems inconsistent to me but, again, just my opinion.

See, I praise Unitas for the player he was, but not because he was with the Colts. I actually don't count anything they did as part of our franchise. Do you think the Baltimore recognizes the history of their team when they were in Cleveland? No. 

The team and the city parted ways with bad blood between them. We didn't get to keep the trophies with us, the band didn't come. The only thing that did was what we carried in those Mayflower trucks. Why would I want to have a symbol represent the team when it represents a complete split between a team and a city. 

I'd support a re-designed symbol than something from a bad past that isn't even our own. The Colts are finally in Indy longer than Baltimore, look towards the future rather than the past. That's me stating my philosophy, not telling you. 

• Like 2

I know there are alot of fans in here that loved the Colts before they moved to Indy but I would be happy if we just counted everything since 1984 = Indy Colts accolades. Johnny Untias dissed Indianapolis and wanted nothing to do with our city so why should we care about him here in Indianapolis? He said he was about Baltimore. Peyton is better anyway so it is what it is. In the SB era the Colts have been better in Indy as well. The Baltimore Colts won 1 SB and so have the Indy Colts but in Indy the Colts have alot more wins = SB era. Peyton was better than Unitas and Marv was better than Berry, just the way it is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know there are alot of fans in here that loved the Colts before they moved to Indy but I would be happy if we just counted everything since 1984 = Indy Colts accolades. Johnny Untias dissed Indianapolis and wanted nothing to do with our city so why should we care about him here in Indianapolis? He said he was about Baltimore. Peyton is better anyway so it is what it is. In the SB era the Colts have been better in Indy as well. The Baltimore Colts won 1 SB and so have the Indy Colts but in Indy the Colts have alot more wins = SB era. Peyton was better than Unitas and Marv was better than Berry, just the way it is.

Different Eras.  Everything is different.  From covered stadiums, artificial turf,  more teams, etc.  Apples vs. Oranges.  Appreciate the greatness for what it is. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

6 hours ago, Narcosys said:

See, I praise Unitas for the player he was, but not because he was with the Colts. I actually don't count anything they did as part of our franchise. Do you think the Baltimore recognizes the history of their team when they were in Cleveland? No. 

The team and the city parted ways with bad blood between them. We didn't get to keep the trophies with us, the band didn't come. The only thing that did was what we carried in those Mayflower trucks. Why would I want to have a symbol represent the team when it represents a complete split between a team and a city. 

I'd support a re-designed symbol than something from a bad past that isn't even our own. The Colts are finally in Indy longer than Baltimore, look towards the future rather than the past. That's me stating my philosophy, not telling you. 

I guess it's just different for me because I don't live in either city.

I will say, however, that I am also a Devils (hockey) fan, and I never disregarded any of the Colorado Rockies roots even though I lived in NJ.  Just saying to show I'm consistent - not knocking any of you for your thoughts or feelings.

Back to the thread...I also hope this will eliminate at least SOME of the injuries, especially since our OLine has the potential to really be something special this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Narcosys said:

So should we use the old dallas texans then? They were the predecessors to the Baltimore Colts.

If that is what someone wanted. There are very few NFL teams who did not start in a different town. I  been a Colt fan since they drafted Bert Jones in 1973. You speak like it is more of a hate for some reason. It's your choice either way. Personally I don't see why anyone would have to draw a line over what town they played with but that is just me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Narcosys said:

It's still a Colts logo... no matter how you slice it. It's not like it says "Baltimore" on it or anything, so I honestly don't see how it's such a conflict. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's still a Colts logo... no matter how you slice it. It's not like it says "Baltimore" on it or anything, so I honestly don't see how it's such a conflict. 

I am not saying that it isn't a Colts logo, I am saying I think it is a logo that shouldn't be our main logo.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If that is what someone wanted. There are very few NFL teams who did not start in a different town. I  been a Colt fan since they drafted Bert Jones in 1973. You speak like it is more of a hate for some reason. It's your choice either way. Personally I don't see why anyone would have to draw a line over what town they played with but that is just me.

Well Johnny Unitas would agree with me along with many older Baltimore Colts fans, so it's not like it is a ridiculous claim or belief.

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Well Johnny Unitas would agree with me along with many older Baltimore Colts fans, so it's not like it is a ridiculous claim or belief.

Well all the hatred by any ex Colt player or their fans is stupid. They are the ones who wouldn't support the Colts team till it was too late. Robert Irsay was not a great owner by no means but no one can blame him for leaving Baltimore at the time. The Colts were forced to play in a stadium that was unfit to play in. Not only for the players but for the fans as well. The attendance was a joke so all this attention given was all for not. The old saying about you don't know what you are losing till it's already is gone held true for Baltimore. Had the city and fan base has as much passion for the Colts as they did for the Ravens the Colts would still be in Baltimore. Crying over spilled milk after the fact shows it.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 2:22 PM, IinD said:

Let's get that one bar facemask on the field already...

My wife got me a Colts t-shirt from a local shop here in Indy with a one bar face mask.  Could not return that thing fast enough.  She failed to fully understand the NFL fashion faux paw with the one bar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

My wife got me a Colts t-shirt from a local shop here in Indy with a one bar face mask.  Could not return that thing fast enough.  She failed to fully understand the NFL fashion faux paw with the one bar.

Lol. It's one of those guilty pleasures about the Colts I have. I love the logo even though it's so lame.

On July 10, 2018 at 11:31 AM, chrisfarley said:

lol, i always thought it looked like something you'd put on a cake but not on an NFL field.

What? Like a birthday candle ya mean? Good Lord. It's all good man. I must admit though that this response threw me for a loop Chris. Funny, unorthodox, & definitely out of left field. Clever in a twisted kind of way. 

My POV: Don't alter what is already fine. Football is a very superstitious sport. We can't afford to upset our timeless mojo man. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, southwest1 said:

What? Like a birthday candle ya mean? Good Lord. It's all good man. I must admit though that this response threw me for a loop Chris. Funny, unorthodox, & definitely out of left field. Clever in a twisted kind of way. 

My POV: Don't alter what is already fine. Football is a very superstitious sport. We can't afford to upset our timeless mojo man. 

Jim Irsay is very proud of his Colts team. He grew up working in the locker room before going to college and I highly doubt he would want any changes with what he cherishes so much. Every year stuff like this is brought up and every year it is ignored by Jim.

• Like 1

I would like the bucking Colt, but if its too hard for fans to swallow, how about just a dang ol' horse shoe tying in with the dumb ol' anvil they wheel out.....and the same symbol someone graffiti -ed our helmets with lol

On 7/17/2018 at 7:35 PM, southwest1 said:

Ha ha thanks, actually the shape of the logo (design of the helmet)...it needs a redesign...I'm for keeping it absolutely!  Just needs updated with the times (and concussions).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard any feedback on the new playing surface? Normally, the beat writers (current and former) are pretty responsive on twitter. None have responded to this question. 

I wonder if the players are even allowed to discuss the playing surface. I would think I would have heard some kind of muttering from either a player or media member. 

13 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Has anyone heard any feedback on the new playing surface? Normally, the beat writers (current and former) are pretty responsive on twitter. None have responded to this question. 

I wonder if the players are even allowed to discuss the playing surface. I would think I would have heard some kind of muttering from either a player or media member. 

Gotta think no news is good news when it comes to the playing surface. The fact that no one's bringing it up just means that we haven't had a dozen players blow their ACLs, so I'll take that as a positive.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Gotta think no news is good news when it comes to the playing surface. The fact that no one's bringing it up just means that we haven't had a dozen players blow their ACLs, so I'll take that as a positive.

Agree on the no news is good news. I'm just wondering if there is a noticeable difference to the players in how it feels (does it play faster, etc.).

21 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

I was there Saturday to run the 5k (which got lighteninged out) and they said it was a brand new field.   It did feel ‘soft’, but I probably couldn’t tell the difference from the last few times I’ve been there.  

I couldn’t tell you what’s different from the previous surface.  

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was there Saturday to run the 5k (which got lighteninged out) and they said it was a brand new field.   It did feel ‘soft’, but I probably couldn’t tell the difference from the last few times I’ve been there.  

I couldn’t tell you what’s different from the previous surface.  

Much appreciated! Does it still use the rubber "infill" pellets?