Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson at RT?

SteelDragon

23 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

Not for me.  All signs point to him being an All-Pro Left Guard for however long he plays, why would we want to risk that and try to squeeze him into the RT position just because it has more positional value (in the opinion of the article). 

The emergence of players like Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald mean that the interior line is more important than ever.  A quote from the Rob Rang draft analysis posted on here rings true:

"Though injuries sustained to quarterbacks may be a different story, many pocket passers (like Luck) are most hampered on a snap-to-snap basis by defenders in their face, rather than those screaming off the edges."

He played every snap in OTA's at LG and I don't see that changing.

• Like 7

My guess is they will consider all options but I like Howard at RT, with Good, Clark and Haeg as backups. 

They didn’t move Kelly to guard and I doubt Nelson would be moved to tackle. Nelson is going to be a GREAT guard. Why mess with that?

• Like 2

This is an off-season article. Random thoughts to keep the fan base engaged and reading stampede blue. Nelson is a premier Guard in the NFL based on all reports. Touted as a future All-Pro and we want to move him to RT? No thank you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know Ballard said Braden Smith is an OG but does anyone else see him as a RT? When I watched him at Auburn I said "this guy is a RT in the NFL all day". With his height, length, and the way he moves screams RT to me. I guess we shall see but don't be surprised if he sees time at RT in the near future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i dont agree that RT is more important for this colts team.  we need to protect the qb more than we need to run block 

A lot if people believe RT is the most important piece on the OL in today’s NFL because defenses are generating pass rush from that side more than ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

The emergence of players like Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald mean that the interior line is more important than ever.  A quote from the Rob Rang draft analysis posted on here rings true:

I completely agree with your post, but I'm wondering why you used Khalil Mack as an example?  Doesn't he attack the RT on a majority of his snaps?  I don't think he lines up against the LG unless there's trickery involved.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I completely agree with your post, but I'm wondering why you used Khalil Mack as an example?  Doesn't he attack the RT on a majority of his snaps?  I don't think he lines up against the LG unless there's trickery involved.

I think you may be right my friend, may have misspoke in using Mack as an example for that one.

41 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

A lot if people believe RT is the most important piece on the OL in today’s NFL because defenses are generating pass rush from that side more than ever.

It’s true, but I do not believe Nelson is the guy to fill the role.  Interior line are getting notice and paid these days as well.  Nelson is a potential Gold Jacket guy at LG.  

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It’s true, but I do not believe Nelson is the guy to fill the role.  Interior line are getting notice and paid these days as well.  Nelson is a potential Gold Jacket guy at LG.  

Oh absolutely not, put him at left guard, & roll with it for the next 10 years. No need to overthink that, my point was that RT is almost as important as LT in the modern NFL. Teams can't just put some random guy who's halfway decent at run-blocking out there on an island anymore and expect to have success.

• Like 1

If Slauson or even Mewhort manage to take the RG spot I would definitely like to see Smith get some looks at RT. I just love the idea that we actually have talent to complete for starting spots now. Fingers crossed that our line looks completely different than any of the previous 10 years or so.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, J@son said:

and what if he shows he could be an even better OT than OG?

Then we'd have a hole at lg, which I think is harder for this roster to compensate for.  I say leave Nelson at lg and hope we have an adequate rt on the roster.  Just my opinion...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onebad150 said:

NO to moving Nelson to RT, bad idea, isn't this how we ruined Mewhort,,,,,,,,, just sayin

Mewhort was "ruined" by injuries.  

He actually only played like 3 or 4 regular season games at RT and I think he actually did a fairly good job.

Regardless moving Nelson to RT is a bad idea IMO.

If he had the ability to play well on the outside he probably would have been Notre Dame's left tackle and McGlincey would have started elsewhere.  

If a player isn't playing tackle for their college team, they likely can't do it for the pro's.  

Mewhort on the other hand actually did play tackle in college.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Mewhort was "ruined" by injuries.  

He actually only played like 3 or 4 regular season games at RT and I think he actually did a fairly good job.

Regardless moving Nelson to RT is a bad idea IMO.

If he had the ability to play well on the outside he probably would have been Notre Dame's left tackle and McGlincey would have started elsewhere.  

If a player isn't playing tackle for their college team, they likely can't do it for the pro's.  

Mewhort on the other hand actually did play tackle in college.  

Guard is the glaring weakness on this team not tackle.

Keep Nelson at LG, Slauson and Smith battle for RG, Kelly at C, Castonzo at LT, Howard at RT with Haeg and Good as the backup tackles.  I don't see Clark making the team.  If Mewhort is still able to play, I would at least like to see Smith take some reps at RT as well in preseason.  

No. 

As someone else was saying above though, Braden Smith could probably be tried there. He was Auburn’s RT, just projected to move inside, but a lot of college RTs project inside and end up being RTs anyway. I think it’s pretty much state law at this point that college RTs are to be regarded as guards in the draft. Moving Quenton to a spot he at least hasn’t played in years though, bad idea. He may even be alright there, but he may end up on a bust in Canton if he stays at LG. 

It's not an impossible stretch as he went to ND as a left tackle.....but two other 1st Round draft picks played there as well so he got slotted at left guard.

I do believe Braden Smith could kick out to RT though with his skill set. As strong as he is he would be able to control the strong side pass rushers fairly well.

Only time will tell, but I like that combo up the middle with Kelly!

I don’t think Smith has the arms for tackle....  

i think his are 32 and change...   sub-33 rarely gets moved outside....    I’ll double check and see...

Edit Note:   Yup...   Smith’s arms are 32 1/4 .   Those arms belong on a guard, likely not a tackle.   He’s our RG of the future,  likely 2019.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

By you posting this your still undervaluing the guard positions 

Although I posted a link to the article, it doesn't mean I agree with it, you all; just as I stated in the OP. 

Ever entertain an idea without accepting it? It's the hallmark of an educated mind

• Like 1