Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Lovable Losers

Lucky Colts Fan

My perspective on the roster at the moment is that we have a lot of "maybes" in many positions, as in "maybe they can make a big contribution" but also "maybe they will be practice squad come week 1".  A lot of talent and potential, but whether people step up to the plate will be the main driver behind whether this year is successful or not.

I exclude Andrew Luck as I believe he is healthy and, although there will be some rust, I expect him to be good.  I also exclude the O-line as I think this will be a much improved unit and, as long as people stay healthy, will be far from our biggest problem.  Kelly, Nelson and AC could be in the top 5 of left side OL in the league, key to protecting Andrew's blind side.

Areas with "maybes":

Wide Receiver.  I expect TY to be back to TY levels with Luck under center again and an O-line that can give Hilton time to get downfield before the throw is required.  Chester Rogers is someone I really like but he has to get on the field.  Grant could be a good addition but, then again, maybe not.  Rookies look talented, especially Cain, but no way to know.  Strong TE depth may mean some of these guys are limited in time on the field.

Running Back.  Mack has so much potential but his blocking still concerns me enough that I am not sure about how many downs you can have him in there.  Hines and Wilkins both have good college tape but does that convert?  I really like Turbo but how does his suspension affect his momentum?

Cornerback.  Does Wilson step up and be the player we want him to be?  Red flags last year with attitude but played well when required and hopefully head screwed on this year.  Do we try Hairston on the outside? I love him at nickel so do we lose more than we would gain with that move?  I like Desir to be fair but, in the new system, we need these corners to be top drawer.

Linebacker.  Not much to say here? Does anyone have any idea who our starters will be?!?  Leonard seems to hugely divide opinion.  I still feel like there must be a place there for John Simon.

I think our floor with Luck back is 6 wins.  But there are so many question marks around so many position groups that its hard to get too carried away.  Hopefully some more FA acquisitions after camp cut-downs elsewhere mean that we can add quality to our depth, and I trust Ballard will make that happen.

I would say that I think the O-line improvement should make it a lot easier for our offense in terms of space for runners, time for WR's to get open as well as time for Luck to make decisions.

I am excited for this year, but I have been hurt before! haha

• Like 2