Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Achilles Heel

coltsfeva

Listen to these “experts”. Some of what they say may be true but some of what they say is said out of ignorance. 

They are still claiming the Oline is an issue, the run game is inadequate and the defense will mimic what was done last year, discounting not only the draft but scheme and coaching changes.

I think some will be surprised at the changes this year. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000938871/What-is-the-Colts-Achilles-heel

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Listen to these “experts”. Some of what they say may be true but some of what they say is said out of ignorance. 

They are still claiming the Oline is an issue, the run game is inadequate and the defense will mimic what was done last year, discounting not only the draft but scheme and coaching changes.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000938871/What-is-the-Colts-Achilles-heel

Our Roster was worse in 2012 and we went 11-5. We will see how it plays out. I am not sure why all of these media people say our O.Line is still Bad, Nelson alone makes it much better. They don't bring up we lost 6 games by 7 points or less either. Andrew Luck gives us a +4 or +5 as well. We went 4-12 last year and were in alot of games. I see 9-7, JMO. We aren't near as Bad as some think. Also the Defense was terrible last season, it will be better this season. I am just trying to figure out what they are seeing that I am not? Wouldn't Andrew Luck alone improve us 4 or 5 games? I would think that would be commonsense thinking? He was a borderline Top 5 QB in 2014 before he got injured in 2015 and played injured in 2016 and he still was 8-7 in his starts that season. I think some people forget how Very Good to Great he was before he got injured. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

IMO, all legit complaints until the team proves otherwise. Adding a few players -- even a highly regarded rookie like Nelson -- doesn't mean the OL is fixed. The run game will be dependent on better OL play and better play calling, two things we haven't seen yet, as hopeful as many of us are. And the defense is a complete question mark. 

I'm very optimistic about the play calling. I've been asking for simple adjustments for 5+ years now, and I think Reich and his staff will take care of it. That will take pressure off of the OL and make the run game more efficient and effective. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Roster was worse in 2012 and we went 11-5. We will see how it plays out. I am not sure why all of these media people say our O.Line is still Bad, Nelson alone makes it much better. They don't bring up we lost 6 games by 7 points or less either. Andrew Luck gives us a +4 or +5 as well. We went 4-12 last year and were in alot of games. I see 9-7, JMO. We aren't near as Bad as some think. Also the Defense was terrible last season, it will be better this season. I am just trying to figure out what they are seeing that I am not? Wouldn't Andrew Luck alone improve us 4 or 5 games? I would think that would be commonsense thinking? He was a borderline Top 5 QB in 2014 before he got injured in 2015 and played injured in 2016 and he still was 8-7 in his starts that season. I think some people forget how Very Good to Great he was before he got injured. 

First of all, I think games are won on the field so I ignore all those ‘experts’.

But we all know the division is leaps and bounds better than it was in 12.  Two teams made the playoffs and Houston was rolling until their QB got hurt.  

We could be immensely better and still go 8-8.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

First of all, I think games are won on the field so I ignore all those ‘experts’.

But we all know the division is leaps and bounds better than it was in 12.  Two teams made the playoffs and Houston was rolling until their QB got hurt.  

We could be immensely better and still go 8-8.  

I see us 8-8 at worse with Luck playing all season. Remember in 2012 Houston had their best team ever and went 12-4, we went 11-5. 2 Teams from our Division made the Playoffs that season too. We split with Houston that season.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

IMO, all legit complaints until the team proves otherwise. Adding a few players -- even a highly regarded rookie like Nelson -- doesn't mean the OL is fixed. The run game will be dependent on better OL play and better play calling, two things we haven't seen yet, as hopeful as many of us are. And the defense is a complete question mark. 

I'm very optimistic about the play calling. I've been asking for simple adjustments for 5+ years now, and I think Reich and his staff will take care of it. That will take pressure off of the OL and make the run game more efficient and effective. 

I agree all complaints are legit but no way we go 4-12 again if Luck plays all 16 games and stays healthy. I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than that happening. Even if Luck didn't play, Brissett in his 2nd full season would be worth 2 more wins with better Coaching, with him I would say 6-10. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree all complaints are legit but no way we go 4-12 again if Luck plays all 16 games and stays healthy. I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than that happening. Even if Luck didn't play, Brissett in his 2nd full season would be worth 2 more wins with better Coaching, with him I would say 6-10. 

Yeah, I don't expect 4-12, even if Brissett starts all season (which he won't, I fully expect Luck to be fine). But I'm not rubber stamping all those areas, there's still a lot unproven. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I don't expect 4-12, even if Brissett starts all season (which he won't, I fully expect Luck to be fine). But I'm not rubber stamping all those areas, there's still a lot unproven. 

Yeah I think 8-8/9-7 is a reasonable prediction for this season. That is if Luck stays healthy. I am very optimistic but predicting anything more than 9-7 is pushing it. We still have holes on Defense and the O.Line will be better but is still a concern. I think just getting Luck back should make us happy and eventhough I liked Chuck, the Coaching changes will be refreshing. Reich should do well.

That show is rough.. I did it though. I watched the segment. Here's my thoughts. These people get paid to know what they're talking about.. Smith thinks the O-Line is the problem because of the money they're spending? I have to imagine he know's there's a bunch of guys on rookie contracts there? No? He doesn't know that? Then how does he know it's going to be terrible? Because I don't know that. in fact, I expect the line to be way better..

The Running Backs... are the Colts the only team in the history of football to be criticized for going with cheaper, younger runners? Probably. We all like Frank, but the notion that he was the difference between a good and bad season is just off.

Something, something, Andrew Lucks shoulder. Yeah, that's a story. Surprised they got to that. It's been going under the radar.

Then they got to it, for 15 seconds. THE DEFENSE. The achilles heel of this team is the linebacking corp(se). I hope someone can step it up this season or those stretch/underneath passes to TE's and RB's.. get used to that. Lot's of that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree partly what you say. I think the OL is improved because of the middle. 

I think our rb's are young and unproven but I like Mack.

Our Defense is I think could potentially be very pourous. Besides the bend dont break scheme there are seroius questions about the lack of proven talent on defense.

I thought it was the "DAYYYYYYY - OOOO" that was the problem.

i wouldnt mind at all if they "lost" that track.

i still would like the sound of a single horse running that builds into a stampede of horses.  Fans could stomp their feet with it.  Before kickoffs or after scores would be awesome.

and bring in that monkey riding the dog!  I cant get enuff of it.  that draft-picking orangutan riding a horse and throwing t-shirts to the crowd would be a nice addition too.

i know, i know.  You are all happy i'm not in charge. 

******Side note:

remember the "sway" the kickoff team used to do?  And then were told they couldnt?  With the stuff going on now, that was tame i think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For whatever reason, when I click on cfva's link, the video buffers or appears to struggle running properly on my end right now. I'll check back here tomorrow sometime. 

I am so sick of NFL Network dismissing INDY 24/7 simply because we dominated the AFC South for a decade & now pundits wanna give all their division love to the Jags & Houston. I'll admit that Luck will understandably be rusty & like Fish pointed out our defense is our greatest weakness. 

We're not gonna be as horrific as most taking heads like to think we will be. I expect big things from Kelly & Nelson this year. I could see us at 9-7. All I really want this year is time for Luck to throw, knowing when to throw the ball away, check downs are okay, & trying to get 4 yards a carry by committee with fresh legs on rotation.

• Like 1

The Achilles heel for this team is this: We have added talent: un-quantified potential until we see them perform. We have that talent in a new scheme also un-quantified.....being led by new coaching staff with no previous experience in the positions they currently hold also un-quantified.......all resting on the pivot point of Andrew Luck that hasn't played injury free football since 2015, trying to return to form and function as yet un-quantifed......other than that the kicking game should still be good, everything else could swing to either side of the needle....

All we really know right now, is what we don't know

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I believe whether Lucks plays or not this team will be alot more competitive in 2018 I also still think Brissett can play in this system he fits this one a lot more than that middle school offense from last year. Granted I hope luck comes back and is able to finish his career maybe add 2-3 superbowls but I think we are in good hands with Brissett if he doesn't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crunked said:

The Achilles heel for this team is this: We have added talent: un-quantified potential until we see them perform. We have that talent in a new scheme also un-quantified.....being led by new coaching staff with no previous experience in the positions they currently hold also un-quantified.......all resting on the pivot point of Andrew Luck that hasn't played injury free football since 2015, trying to return to form and function as yet un-quantifed......other than that the kicking game should still be good, everything else could swing to either side of the needle....

All we really know right now, is what we don't know

I believe some people are making mountains out of molehills over Luck being sidelined for so long personally. Chewbacca didn't forget how to throw the ball & make completions. Funny, how nobody questions if Aaron Rodgers in GB can still play after breaking his clavicle or Deshaun Watson can return to form after a ACL tear. 

Also, doesn't practically all 32 rosters add new coordinator talent to their sidelines that must gel & prove themselves like new players do every season as well? I like being under the radar personally. Expectations are low for us outside INDY. The perfect opportunity to surprise other teams like a buzzsaw. 

You're not necessarily wrong in anything you say CKD just have more faith in us beyond mere potential please. 

PS: I wasn't attempting to school or scold anybody especially a regular who is really smart like yourself CKD. I just think this notion of a prolonged injury mixed with can Chewy still play is a little overboard in many circles around here. If you wanted to say Luck needs to get a better handle on minimizing turnovers that would be more relevant & accurate beyond being inactive for so long. 

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I believe whether Lucks plays or not this team will be alot more competitive in 2018 I also still think Brissett can play in this system he fits this one a lot more than that middle school offense from last year. Granted I hope luck comes back and is able to finish his career maybe add 2-3 superbowls but I think we are in good hands with Brissett if he doesn't.

I'm pretty confident that Luck will play week 1 & finish the season this year. Yeah J834, I like having Jacoby as our backup QB as well. I don't think we'll need him to step in once games really matter, but it's nice to know the wheels won't fall off on offense if Brissett ever is under center this year. I take comfort in the fact that Bill Parcels AKA 'The Tuna' was his mentor. Plus, JB is mentally tough. He can get knocked around, sacked, & still make plays. Other than Matthew Hasselback; he's probably the best backup INDY has ever had. Okay, Kerry Collins was experienced that's true, but he was old, his body was breaking down, & the dude couldn't scrabble anymore in 2011. 

I think we can acquire at least 2 Lombardi's in the Luck era without too much trouble as our o-line improves & gathers chemistry together. 

23 hours ago, Superman said:

While I agree things have to be proven on the field, I guess the thing that I find a little unrealistic on their part is the assumption that nothing has changed from last year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm pretty confident that Luck will play week 1 & finish the season this year. Yeah J834, I like having Jacoby as our backup QB as well. I don't think we'll need him to step in once games really matter, but it's nice to know the wheels won't fall off on offense if Brissett ever is under center this year. I take comfort in the fact that Bill Parcels AKA 'The Tuna' was his mentor. Plus, JB is mentally tough. He can get knocked around, sacked, & still make plays. Other than Matthew Hasselback; he's probably the best backup INDY has ever had. Okay, Kerry Collins was experienced that's true, but he was old, his body was breaking down, & the dude couldn't scrabble anymore in 2011. 

I think we can acquire at least 2 Lombardi's in the Luck era without too much trouble as our o-line improves & gathers chemistry together. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

First off, nothing new was said on that video. "A mess" is the tag that has been applied to this team and it is justified on both sides of the ball. What I take issue with is their harping on the youth of this team. Rebuilding is done mostly with young players depending on the teams outlook for the coming two-three seasons. With that said I am worried above all about the OL (as is everyone). They had better show substantial improvement or Luck  and Brissett are smelly fish floating. The OL showed improvement late in the season so who knows?

On 6/29/2018 at 5:55 PM, coltsfeva said:

Until the season starts the o-line based on years of observation SUCKS so the so called experts are correct as well as lazy while Ballard has made many changes players & coaches  & of course schemes untill the season begins we have yet to prove anything to anyone '

While I as a HOMER believe with the return of Andrew Luck & the hiring of the new staff & acquisition of talent as well as upgrades to our lines both sides I'm optimistic yet this is a your only as good as your last season league & lets face it the last few years have left big question marks can the Chris Ballard run Colts Organization  get my COLTS back into contention & take back the AFC South ?  

The Colts Achilles Heal IMO was Grigson a O-lineman who could'nt fix the O-line who hired a defensive minded coach who could not fix the defense . 

Andrew Luck over RG3 was his best decision & that was really kind of easy IMO 12 is the next 18 & with Frank Reich pulling the strings I expect GREATNESS to step up this season is gonna be exciting 

And IMO the experts will be proven to be a day late & a dollar short while they discount the Colts this Underdog is on its way back up let the experts brag on the texans titans & jags while the Colts quietly rise to the top .

Buckle this is gonna be fun to watch GO COLTS ..

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:15 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree partly what you say. I think the OL is improved because of the middle. 

I think our rb's are young and unproven but I like Mack.

Our Defense is I think could potentially be very pourous. Besides the bend dont break scheme there are seroius questions about the lack of proven talent on defense.

All facets of our team, kicking game an exception, is completely unproven with what we all hope is improved talent. Not a single one of the talking heads or ourselves will know until the boys play. Difference is we have hope that we are better, they're just hoping for an I told you so. 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, southwest1 said:

I believe some people are making mountains out of molehills over Luck being sidelined for so long personally. Chewbacca didn't forget how to throw the ball & make completions. Funny, how nobody questions if Aaron Rodgers in GB can still play after breaking his clavicle or Deshaun Watson can return to form after a ACL tear. 

Also, doesn't practically all 32 rosters add new coordinator talent to their sidelines that must gel & prove themselves like new players do every season as well? I like being under the radar personally. Expectations are low for us outside INDY. The perfect opportunity to surprise other teams like a buzzsaw. 

You're not necessarily wrong in anything you say CKD just have more faith in us beyond mere potential please. 

PS: I wasn't attempting to school or scold anybody especially a regular who is really smart like yourself CKD. I just think this notion of a prolonged injury mixed with can Chewy still play is a little overboard in many circles around here. If you wanted to say Luck needs to get a better handle on minimizing turnovers that would be more relevant & accurate beyond being inactive for so long. 

Since we have nothing of note to do football wise right now, let me offer this rebuttal.

There are facts (or details if you will) about Andrew Luck and his magical mystical shoulder that differ from Watson's knee or Rogers collar bone, if you are predisposed to the belief that some "so called" experts in hind sight said that Luck had altered his throwing motion in 16 to compensate for the shoulder. I, personally, am not smart enough to know if that is true....but it seems plausible. So for me that separates Luck injury from Watson or Rogers sitch. and as I will explain below, that doesn't mean doom and gloom, it simply means I don't know.

In regard to the post in general:

I tend to lean on the realist side, so when I say, un-quantified, or un proven its not a knock, its a fact....everything could work out A) Peachy B) Ok C) meh or D) Disastrously QB, Staff, Draft Talent wise....for me I am just saying "I Don't know" because I haven't seen all these mechanisms in action.

SW, I appreciate your well thought out response that I am quoting here, I am hoping for answer "A" personally....we could use some peachy up in here! lol, but for now I am going to continue with "I don't know" if I don't melt like frosty in the green house scene from the heat.

• Thanks 1

The offensive line will be an issue until they show us otherwise. The Colts have been plagued by injuries, bad coaching, and management, horrible in the trenches, but hopefully, Ballard, Reich, and Luck can turn all of that around. The division is no longer a walk in the park but I feel good about our chances with a healthy Andrew Luck to still win it.

Give Ballard one more solid off-season and then I believe the Colts can make a strong push for the Lombardi. I'm hoping Ballard goes out and gets 2-3 guys who can step in day 1 and make a huge impact on this team in free agency next year.

Well I believe differently. 

The coaching staff is new, but I believe they are going to do an excellent job. The rest of the team follows their precedent, and I believe they are in great hands. 

I feel a gazillion times better with Reich and his staff at the helm than I would if rufus mctrashels would've gotten the job. 

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2018 at 5:55 PM, coltsfeva said:

They are still claiming the Oline is an issue, the run game is inadequate and the defense will mimic what was done last year,

I agree with them.   The O-line has been bad for years now.  Maybe it is fixed, but we have to prove it first.   Just like a real Achilles heal injury, we have to prove we can use it now.   The running game is questionable too.  However, if the O-line is much better, the run game should follow.   I see the defense ranking somewhere around 23-25 in defense.   Which would be a good improvement over the 30th ranked from last season.   I do think they have a shot to reach as high as the mid teens since I think the offense will be better. 

On July 1, 2018 at 1:42 PM, Crunked said:

Since we have nothing of note to do football wise right now, let me offer this rebuttal.

There are facts (or details if you will) about Andrew Luck and his magical mystical shoulder that differ from Watson's knee or Rogers collar bone, if you are predisposed to the belief that some "so called" experts in hind sight said that Luck had altered his throwing motion in 16 to compensate for the shoulder. I, personally, am not smart enough to know if that is true....but it seems plausible. So for me that separates Luck injury from Watson or Rogers sitch. and as I will explain below, that doesn't mean doom and gloom, it simply means I don't know.

In regard to the post in general:

I tend to lean on the realist side, so when I say, un-quantified, or un proven its not a knock, its a fact....everything could work out A) Peachy B) Ok C) meh or D) Disastrously QB, Staff, Draft Talent wise....for me I am just saying "I Don't know" because I haven't seen all these mechanisms in action.

SW, I appreciate your well thought out response that I am quoting here, I am hoping for answer "A" personally....we could use some peachy up in here! lol, but for now I am going to continue with "I don't know" if I don't melt like frosty in the green house scene from the heat.

Hey there CKD, 

I liked your rebuttal to my reply as well. Yes, it is true that neither you nor I have a crystal ball regarding the scope of Luck's recovery in regular season games especially with a revised throwing motion moving forward. Will there be some jitters on Andrew's part to feel like he still has it & can make all the throws? Absolutely. I just wanna see him get knocked down, mentally go I'm still in one piece, now let's go kick some butt & prove a number of doubters wrong, Rumors of my NFL death are over exaggerated, premature, & misplaced. LOL! 

Yeah, your scenario a) would be fantastic no doubt. Honestly, all I wanna see is better decision making--Taking what the defense gives you with check downs & screens. Start with small methodical completions & get into a rhythm to rebuild Luck's confidence quickest. And if, a turnover does happen...Let it go & don't try & tackle the DB or safety.

That's really what I wanna see most from Chewbacca: The realization of how important he is to our franchise's success by not getting busted up unnecessarily. You gotta know the situation. What Qtr are we in? Can we settle down & regroup as an offense? Is this a game where we have to match our adversary 6 for 6 every time we touch the ball? Is our D holding their ground or getting tired? Is this a grind it out ground game or ariel warfare that will come down to the final possession? Can we squeak by with field goals or is this a find out what INDY is really made of game? How confident are we really as a squad to drum up a resounding comeback victory? 

Yep, the Colts have a lot of questions they need answers too. Uh huh. I don't handle heat well either. I also love it when sweltering dew points drop as well. You & me both buddy. You & me both. Nice chatting with you CKD. :hat:

On July 1, 2018 at 2:13 AM, Pilgrim said:

I wonder if Howard Mudd has called Jim Irsay to let him know if the O-line is fixed?

Hey @Pilgrim,

I realize this is way off topic, but since your profile picture is "The Duke" AKA John Wayne, I am dying to ask:What's your favorite picture he starred in? 

My personal favorite of his is probably "El Dorado" with Robert Mitchum. "Big Jake" is very good with Richard Boone & I also liked "Rooster Cogburn" with Katharine Hepburn. "The Train Robbers" with Ann Margret is pretty entertaining as well. 

On 7/3/2018 at 9:11 PM, southwest1 said:

Hey @Pilgrim,

I realize this is way off topic, but since your profile picture is "The Duke" AKA John Wayne, I am dying to ask:What's your favorite picture he starred in? 

My personal favorite of his is probably "El Dorado" with Robert Mitchum. "Big Jake" is very good with Richard Boone & I also liked "Rooster Cogburn" with Katharine Hepburn. "The Train Robbers" with Ann Margret is pretty entertaining as well. 

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, work has been busy. lol. I'm partial to "The Green Berets" (I'm on the younger side, and that was the first John Wayne movie I watched with my grandpa. After that, "True Grit" or "The Alamo"

• Like 1

yea you know what you can preach that the Oline, run game and defense will be better because of the changes and draft picks made...but in reality nothing is true until proven. So i have no issues with what they are saying, they speak the truth of what our team has been.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, work has been busy. lol. I'm partial to "The Green Berets" (I'm on the younger side, and that was the first John Wayne movie I watched with my grandpa. After that, "True Grit" or "The Alamo"

The Quiet Man...by far.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, southwest1 said:

Hey @Pilgrim,

I enjoy Red River. John Wayne was the villain. When given the opportunity, The Duke could actually act

• Like 1

I'm expecting big things from the Colts. As long as Luck is healthy and protected, this will be a high powered offense. Colts easily have the top QB in the division, which is what NFL is all about. Defense will be lousy, but hopefully they are adequate when playing with a lead

Pundits to do what pundits do. They rarely talk about the positives there's more interest in the negatives. It's fun to watch these shows but you realize quite quickly that none of these guys are general managers or coaches. They don't attend OTAs or training camps or have day-to-day contact with the players. Yes there are issues with this team but there's also great hope as well. We spent our first two draft picks on offensive lineman. Who cares how much we pay them right now. You have to know that costanzo Nelson and Kelly are going to be strong. The right side is the question but Braden Smith and Slauson could be the answer but I still think this offensive line is one year away from being complete. But I hope and I really hope the line is significantly better this year. Yes we are very young at running back as well but everyone saw what Mack could do last year. Turbin is now the veteran but he sure didn't act like one getting suspended for four games. Hines has all the capability to be really good. I think we have a solid tight end core that can block as well. I appreciate Ballard as taking the time and the effort to address this offensive line better than it has been the last several years. Ever faithful to this team let's go Colts!

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed...   The Quiet Man and his last movie,  The Shoitest,  are easily my favorite John Wayne films!

I forgot the #2 movie...close to "The Quiet Man" --- "In Harm's Way."  Very powerful film about a nation and family at war.