Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap space for 2019

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

According to this, the Colts will have roughly 63 mil in cap space. My question is, how do they not have even more considering I can only think of 3 players making top dollar in Indy (Luck, Hilton, Castonzo). 

With not spending hardly anything in free agency this past offseason, and we had roughly 70 mil if I remember right, how would we not have north of that come the 2019 offseason?

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

According to this, the Colts will have roughly 63 mil in cap space. My question is, how do they not have even more considering I can only think of 3 players making top dollar in Indy (Luck, Hilton, Castonzo). 

With not spending hardly anything in free agency this past offseason, and we had roughly 70 mil if I remember right, how would we not have north of that come the 2019 offseason?

After we go 9-7 this year and squeeze into the Playoffs and Luck proves he is healthy, guys will flock to come here. Ballard will kill it in Free Agency next year. We are going to be a contender in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I dont think it's counting for the rollover yet.

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Here-

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

in the off season, they use top 51.  Once rosters get set at 53, that becomes the cap used for the team, plus all placed on IR.

tldr:

Total Cap Liabilities: $161,838,522

Top 51: $138,908,904Team Cap Space: $52,050,050

Offense: $102,767,124Defense: $51,822,429Special: $5,295,333

Total Cap Liabilities: $131,341,597

Top 51: $126,706,597Team Cap Space: $63,144,236
Offense: $89,246,426Defense: $40,874,838Special: $1,220,333

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2018 at 4:55 PM, Virtuoso80 said:
On 6/27/2018 at 3:21 PM, BProland85 said:

I dont think it's counting for the rollover yet.

This.

We should have North of $100m next year. Outside any new major contracts or extensions.

• Like 1

Way too premature to try to nail down projected figures, but assuming the Colts don't take on anymore salary this year, they'll have $45m+ to rollover to 2019 (assuming prorations for midseason pickups, IR slots, incentives hit, etc.). OTC projects $63m cap space going into next season (based on today's roster, which will change between now and March when the cap is set). Add this year's rollover to next year's cap space, and the Colts should be around $100m under the 2019 cap by the time the league year starts.

Now if you start looking at roster mechanics, and thinking about guys like John Simon, Robert Turbin, etc., who might not even make the 2018 roster, there's potential for even more cap space next year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 7/2/2018 at 7:05 PM, Superman said:

Way too premature to try to nail down projected figures, but assuming the Colts don't take on anymore salary this year, they'll have $45m+ to rollover to 2019 (assuming prorations for midseason pickups, IR slots, incentives hit, etc.). OTC projects $63m cap space going into next season (based on today's roster, which will change between now and March when the cap is set). Add this year's rollover to next year's cap space, and the Colts should be around $100m under the 2019 cap by the time the league year starts.

Now if you start looking at roster mechanics, and thinking about guys like John Simon, Robert Turbin, etc., who might not even make the 2018 roster, there's potential for even more cap space next year. 

Something that I do want to comment that I feel positive about Ballard's management.  First year that there are not any players with big cap hits that would be considered roster bubble.  

Simon is the biggest cap hit and may be roster bubble.  He's at 3.2 mil

Turbin is at 1.1 mil.

Also we don't have a great deal of dead money either.  

52 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Something that I do want to comment that I feel positive about Ballard's management.  First year that there are not any players with big cap hits that would be considered roster bubble.  

Simon is the biggest cap hit and may be roster bubble.  He's at 3.2 mil

Turbin is at 1.1 mil.

Also we don't have a great deal of dead money either.  

Yeah, I think a big part of that is he hasn't signed anybody. His biggest FA signing so far is Hankins, and he was already cut. The failures of previous draft classes has left him with a lot of cap flexibility. He also has been very strict with his player acquisitions so far, so he continues to have cap flexibility. 

I think the only time Ballard will have any trouble with the cap will be if he hits on two or three drafts in a row and has a lot of players that he really wants to keep. But that probably won't be an issue until 2020 at the earliest. And that's assuming there aren't drastic cap changes in the new CBA.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:50 AM, Savage said:

Bring on Aaron Donald!

Or Taylor Lewan at LT if the Titans can't work out a deal with him. He is a top 5 LT and we'd also be really depleting a division rival. Castonzo is just solid at LT. Lewan next to Nelson would be stellar. 

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Or Taylor Lewan at LT if the Titans can't work out a deal with him. He is a top 5 LT and we'd also be really depleting a division rival. Castonzo is just solid at LT. Lewan next to Nelson would be stellar. 

If we go after Taylor Lewan we could drop Castonzo and only have a small 2.8 cap hit of dead money vs paying his 11.5 mil hit in 2019. Lewan will be looking at getting (well agent and the market will dictate) something like 15mil/year though probably. I would spend another 4 mil a year for a solid LT that would be 27 at that point. Get a good 4+ years out of him.

Anthony Barr from Minny. Legit LB we could really use and I don't think Minn. will have the money to pay him since they have so many high $$ players, little cap space and need to pay Diggs. I think he has an actual chance to hit the market. Lewan I don't see making the market. He will get extended this summer or franchised next year.

Pair him up with Leonard since it is truly an area of need. I think Ballard timed having the cap space perfectly since next year their is a much better crop, plus we should be much further along in development.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:15 AM, DaColts85 said:

If we go after Taylor Lewan we could drop Castonzo and only have a small 2.8 cap hit of dead money vs paying his 11.5 mil hit in 2019. Lewan will be looking at getting (well agent and the market will dictate) something like 15mil/year though probably. I would spend another 4 mil a year for a solid LT that would be 27 at that point. Get a good 4+ years out of him.

Why would the Titans let Lewan walk out the door for nothing?   No franchise tag?  Not likely.  No long term deal?  Not likely.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 12:41 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Why would the Titans let Lewan walk out the door for nothing?   No franchise tag?  Not likely.  No long term deal?  Not likely.

Read and comment to the one I was commenting on... It was to the hypothetical that the Titans are strapped for cash and let him walk.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Read and comment to the one I was commenting on... It was to the hypothetical that the Titans are strapped for cash and let him walk.

I inderstand...

Lewan is their starting Left Tackle.   Teams don’tlet those guys walk out the door.

Just sayin....

On 7/10/2018 at 2:56 PM, BProland85 said:

On 7/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, DaColts85 said:

While a nice dream, teams do not pick up a 5th year option on their 1st round draft picks to let them go after.  I haven't checked the Titans cap margins, but I know for fact Bill Polian and Pat Kirwan (and possibly Mark Dominik and Phil Savage as well, who have all  negotiated hundreds upon hundreds of NFL contracts) have said that cap space can always be created to retain your top talent, though getting an extension done is more cap friendly than having to use the Franchise tag. And you do not ever let talent walk without due compensation, ever.  You must be able to replace talent with talent immediately, or take measures to keep the guy.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Even if strapped (I do not know, haven't looked for 2019) they will find other means to make space/cash.  It's the job of the GM and team cap-ologist. I think the Titans have more to worry about down the road when Mariota's extension breaks their bank, not Lewan.

In any event, letting players like that go without just compensation means they will likely be let go in short order as well.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Even if strapped (I do not know, haven't looked for 2019) they will find other means to make space/cash.  It's the job of the GM and team cap-ologist. I think the Titans have more to worry about down the road when Mariota's extension breaks their bank, not Lewan.

In any event, letting players like that go without just compensation means they will likely be let go in short order as well.

Where as I do not disagree with you this my comments are based on the hypothetical happening. At no point am I saying this is going to happen. Now I can say that there have been teams like the Bengals who have let a lot of talent walk out the door.  It is always a possibility just like re-signing him is. Not sure their cap situation either but if they have a very tight line and he is wanting 15+ mil a year they might have to look another route. Again, hypothetical as I am not saying any of this will actually happen!

Where as I do not disagree with you this my comments are based on the hypothetical happening. At no point am I saying this is going to happen. Now I can say that there have been teams like the Bengals who have let a lot of talent walk out the door.  It is always a possibility just like re-signing him is. Not sure their cap situation either but if they have a very tight line and he is wanting 15+ mil a year they might have to look another route. Again, hypothetical as I am not saying any of this will actually happen!

I agree, you never know what will happen. But assuming the Titans value the tackle position like the rest of the league does, it's unlikely that they let their Pro Bowl LT walk. They did just draft Conklin, and might see him as a replacement for Lewan, but I think Conklin at LT would be problematic. 

Also, the Titans aren't really cash strapped. They'll roll forward $10-20m in cap space to 2019, and they're projected to be $30m under the 2019 cap already. So figure on them having $40m in cap space next offseason, with Lewan being their #1 priority. Their other FAs (and they'll have quite a few) are older, less impactful, and easier to replace. 

So while anything's possible, at this point I'd say there's about a 10% chance at best that Lewan leaves the Titans next year. 

• Like 1

I agree. But in some situations you never know I guess.

Unless there are some extenuating circumstances, Pro Bowl level positions who do not become FA's

* DE

* LT

* QB

* WR

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree, you never know what will happen. But assuming the Titans value the tackle position like the rest of the league does, it's unlikely that they let their Pro Bowl LT walk. They did just draft Conklin, and might see him as a replacement for Lewan, but I think Conklin at LT would be problematic. 

Also, the Titans aren't really cash strapped. They'll roll forward $10-20m in cap space to 2019, and they're projected to be $30m under the 2019 cap already. So figure on them having $40m in cap space next offseason, with Lewan being their #1 priority. Their other FAs (and they'll have quite a few) are older, less impactful, and easier to replace. 

So while anything's possible, at this point I'd say there's about a 10% chance at best that Lewan leaves the Titans next year. 

I'd say that is too high.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Unless there are some extenuating circumstances, Pro Bowl level positions who do not become FA's

* DE

* LT

* QB

* WR

Again if you could please read the multiple comments above...I am not saying this is going to happen or anything. It is all a hypothetical based on a posters comments and me responding to him.

I know a LT is a premium spot...not doubting that. I know they require money and teams have money...I know that.

Supe the only thing I will say based on your comment is exactly my thought towards this (again hypothetical) comment and that is Conklin. You say he could be problematic but yet no one has seen a snap in 2018. He could be solid and they go from there. Again, I am not saying any of this will happen.

40 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Supe the only thing I will say based on your comment is exactly my thought towards this (again hypothetical) comment and that is Conklin. You say he could be problematic but yet no one has seen a snap in 2018. He could be solid and they go from there. Again, I am not saying any of this will happen.

I just don't think Conklin should play LT, but that's just IMO. If the Titans see him as a LT then this would be one of those rare situations where a Pro Bowl LT might have a slight chance at hitting free agency. But I don't think they feel that way. Jon Robinson has had eyes on a lot of true LTs over the years, and although he didn't draft Lewan, I assume he know that he has a true LT, and can see the difference in his traits vs Conklin's. 

Really, what it most likely comes down to is that a 27 year old Pro Bowler at a premium position is unlikely to hit the market, barring drastic unforeseen circumstances. Even if the Titans were cap strapped, that's the kind of player a team makes accommodations for, even if that means getting rid of other good players. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just don't think Conklin should play LT, but that's just IMO. If the Titans see him as a LT then this would be one of those rare situations where a Pro Bowl LT might have a slight chance at hitting free agency. But I don't think they feel that way. Jon Robinson has had eyes on a lot of true LTs over the years, and although he didn't draft Lewan, I assume he know that he has a true LT, and can see the difference in his traits vs Conklin's. 

Really, what it most likely comes down to is that a 27 year old Pro Bowler at a premium position is unlikely to hit the market, barring drastic unforeseen circumstances. Even if the Titans were cap strapped, that's the kind of player a team makes accommodations for, even if that means getting rid of other good players. 

I do agree with everything. I am just merely feeding off the posts that have came about.

Look when I comes down to it, Lewan is a young stud LT that has a good amount of football ahead of him. He is not going anywhere. If he were 31 or on the Bengals (this is a joke) I could see him possibly hitting the market.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 3:21 PM, BProland85 said:

You can start by not being to lazy to look it up yourself. Come on man.

You have been on this site too long to be acting like a rookie. Go Colts
Like how just those 3 will cost North of $6M more in 2019.

Yes, a poster had aspirations   "Or Taylor Lewan at LT if the Titans can't work out a deal with him."

But if the desire is a low potential scenario, responding as if it were might send wrong messages to those other members just skimming through and not comprehending the whole discussion. Thus the desire for those others to point out that Lewan is playing under 5th year option for 2018 (around 9 million too!) and gives more time to negotiate an extension for 2019 and beyond. Also the possibility of the club using the franchise tag(s).  Suffice to say, the Titans have some leverage to keep him around another 3 years... without even getting a contract done if all else fails.  OTOH, it behooves the Titans (player relationship wise and financially) to negotiate in good faith and get something done at some point this or early year for the future.

Castonzo has another year to prove himself.
He was pretty decent last season earning a higher PFF focus grade than Lewan and Conklin.
  With a salary of $8,25M in 2019 it is :lol: that Ballard would dump him.
It makes more sense to extend him after this season if healthy.

I really do love Ballard's approach to building this team. He finds his guys through the draft, free agency, etc. He's patient and doesn't feel the need to throw money at guys. If Luck comes back and has a strong season and the Colts are looking like a team on the rise, players will come here and we do have the cash to spend if needed. I do believe if there's a player that Ballard is in love with, he will pull the trigger and spend a little more than he's comfortable with to get his guy.

On 7/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Castonzo has another year to prove himself.
He was pretty decent last season earning a higher PFF focus grade than Lewan and Conklin.
  With a salary of $8,25M in 2019 it is :lol: that Ballard would dump him.
It makes more sense to extend him after this season if healthy.

Costanzo still needs to prove himself?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 1:50 AM, Savage said:

Bring on Aaron Donald!

If Ballard were to go crazy for someone, this is the guy I'd like the money to be spent on, first. 

6 years $120 mil. might be what it takes though to get him. :( 

Maybe we can get Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, and then we could get 1-2 years out of vets like K.J.Wright or Carlos Dunlap or Geno Atkins??? :) 

19 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ballard will sign minimal players in FA. We are building through the draft. I wouldnt expect any big signings. Creating a dynasty takes keeping your own stars. If that means we never spend in Fa I’m ok with that. 

Next offseason will be different. We will have over 100 million to spend. That money has to be spent next season per the CBA rules or else Irsay will have to forfeit the unspent money. We still might not sign stars, but we will be a lot more active in FA

56 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Next offseason will be different. We will have over 100 million to spend. That money has to be spent next season per the CBA rules or else Irsay will have to forfeit the unspent money. We still might not sign stars, but we will be a lot more active in FA

The amount spent has to be 89% of the cap over a 4 year period; an aggregate. If the Colts managed to still be below 89% over the entire four-year period, they forfeit only the difference between what they spent from 2106-2019  to the 89% per year over that period to the NFLPA.  Not a huge incentive to overspend for the sake of overspending. 

How far above (or below) 89% were we two years ago?  Last year?  Where will be end up this year?

Hopefully we are far enough along to being a good team by the end of the season to want to bring on a good vet (or maybe even 2!) next year via FA, if necessary.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:26 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

As for above  ^^^ ... I'm not sure what years are in the 4 year aggregate.  The CBA rules was for 2011, but there was no floor in 2011 and 2012.  The 89% started in 2013.  I'll update if/when I find out.

There were two four year periods -- 2013-2016, and 2017-2020. I'm pretty sure every team hit the floor in the first four year period. We're still in Year 2 of the second four year period. I projected that the total cap over these four years will be just under $728m, so each team will need to spend a total of $648m in cash.

The Colts spent about $155m in 2017. This season is not yet determined, but right now they have committed about $165m. They need to average about $162m/year. They'll be fine.

As you said earlier, I don't think any team is worried about the salary floor. It's not a big consideration at this point, and I don't think it will be moving forward. The more important rule is the requirement that all teams collectively spend 99% of the cap each year. 

• Like 1