Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FIFA World Cup 2018 thread

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

England fans feel their team is cursed due to a history of losing tie games on PKs?

A lot of countries and fan bases here seem to feel such an entitlement that they SHOULD be winning.

Where does that come from?

Some of these countries havent won in decades..or (like Mexico) have never won...

So if they lose they blame it on their team and their coaches instead of the numerical odds reality of what ends up as a 16-team single elimination tournament.:thinking:

Expectations are set up based on pre-tournament form that they have displayed. But then, one of the pre-tournament favorites Germany crashed and burned in the group stages. 

The 20 World Cup tournaments have been won by eight national teams. Brazil have won five times, and they are the only team to have played in every tournament. The other World Cup winners are Germany and Italy, with four titles each; Argentina and inaugural winner Uruguay, with two titles each; and England, France, and Spain, with one title each.

However, the last 8 World Cups have seen 6 different winners, with only Brazil and Germany winning twice. So the tide could be changing with quality depth, IMO. If England, Croatia or Belgium win, it would make 7 different winners in the last 9 World Cups.

• Like 1

France vs Croatia in the World Cup final, who would have thought?

It is France's World Cup to lose, IMO. They had been touted as one of the favorites coming in, will be an interesting final. Lots of heart in Croatia.

But then, Sepp Blatter took lots of money and colluded with UEFA chief Michele Platini (French star player in the past) to get the 2018 World Cup to Russia, and both have been banned for bribes they took for 6 years. Now, it is Russia's turn to pay back, World Cup champs France. :)

I expect France to get calls or non-calls in their favor like they did vs Belgium, which was not a well officiated game, IMO, the first semi-final.

The second semi-final, Croatia was supposed to be the more tired team after two OT and PK games in a row but they out hustled and beat England to the ball far more and that was eventually a factor. England's D was lackadaisical with its horrendous back passes and lack of hustle.

9 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I've never really been much of a soccer fan, but I've enjoyed watching some of this year's WC.  And I'll be landing in Paris on Sunday, so I'm rooting for France big-time now.:thmup:

Well, you should have a pretty easy time finding a party, if you so choose.

Good finish.....Good champion..

France won decisively.........

I admit i did miss Brazil and Argentina and England in the final but the best team won.

Wish they had the World Cup every 2 years..

Help me out here....The 2022 World Cup is in Qatar..right?

Qatar is like the desert...from 100-110 degrees every day in July. with zero chance of rain

(Correction: Qatar isnt 'like the desert' Qatar IS the desert)

Can you play in that heat and, if you can, who would attend the games?

Are they going to play in the middle of the night?

What's the plan? Does anybody know?

Dome?

58 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Good finish.....Good champion..

France won decisively.........

I admit i did miss Brazil and Argentina and England in the final but the best team won.

Wish they had the World Cup every 2 years..

Qatar is like the desert...from 100-110 degrees every day in July. with zero chance of rain

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

That wc is being played in December. Temperatures between 75 and 85 degrees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

That wc is being played in December. Temperatures between 75 and 85 degrees.

Yeah, I don't think the temperatures will be an issue. The culture shock for the people of Qatar will be the issue (or) the culture shock for visitors will be the true issue. Women not wearing hijabs and people consuming alcohol will require "cordoned-off environments or areas" like they do for Americans in Saudi Arabia for reducing clashes that can boil tensions. That should be THE #1 concern, IMO.

• Thanks 1

That explains the weather issue..Thanks

You may surely be right about religious issues.....too

I read where the World Wrestling Entertainment had a big show in Saudi Arabia a few months ago and they had to change it to make it an all-male show. No women.  Local customs didnt allow women to dress like that and perform like that.

Edited by oldunclemark