chad72

FIFA World Cup 2018 thread

Recommended Posts

Who are you rooting for? What has been the biggest surprise of the tournament so far for you? Who do you think are the dark horses that you think will go further in this competition and why?

 

I do think Spain and Germany, because their best players play together mainly in the top 3 teams in La Liga and Bundesliga, the Spanish and German leagues, they have a distinct advantage of chemistry. However, there is always that scrappy, not so talented but opportunistic team, that can ruin a lot of things for the front runners.

 

Personally, I root for underdogs.

 

To me, France and Belgium are 2 teams that are talented, have started out solid and can surprise, IMO. Portugal, if the rest of the team can provide Ronaldo the support he has always needed, unlike Argentina with Messi, can go farther than people think, IMO. Croatia has pleasantly surprised me, it is someone to keep an eye on; and Russia might surprise us like when South Korea did as hosts several years ago. However, you can never count out Spain, Germany and Brazil at the end. England, not sure what to expect from them, same with Mexico that is very scrappy.

 

Brazil is the only South American team that won in 1952 in Stockholm in Europe, I think it will be an European team that wins the World Cup again.

 

This is how the draw shapes up, will be important for Spain or Portugal to not play Russia in the round of 16 against a home crowd:

 

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/soccer/worldcup/CBS_WC_Printable_Bracket.pdf

 

 

I know, off the top of my head,  @braveheartcolt @SteelCityColt @Gabriel Alexander Morilloand @DaveA1102 are soccer fans - so here is a shout out to them to contribute :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised we haven't had this yet, thanks for starting @chad72

 

It's been an interesting tournament so far. Pretty much all the big teams haven't shown us much. Germany, England, Brazil and especially Argentina looking average. 

 

I really like the Croatian team, that midfield is so talented and a solid group at the back too. I still think one of the "big teams" will win. Before the tournament I liked the Brazilians and so might just stick with that prediction.

 

My big takeaway so far is a feeling of regret for Messi. For me, the greatest to play the game, and the only slight on him was lack of world cup success. Really hoped he would do something on this stage and it hasn't happened. 

 

Fingers crossed when it's 48 teams that Scotland might sneak in! haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Fingers crossed when it's 48 teams that Scotland might sneak in! haha

 

I found out how the 48 team format works, at least in its early discussions:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

 

They even mention Scotland in there for ya :) 

 

I like the way it is now, it reduces the number of weak teams getting in and preserves the quality. I do not want more teams like Saudi Arabia in the tournament, personally. It is obviously, a decision made around money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Help me out here folks..

Mexico has seemingly a huge fan base./..more than any other country.

But they've NEVER won the World Cup? 

 

First round thoughts:

*I like Argentina but this team looks like they havent played with each other very long.

Belgium plays like Argentina is supposed to play

 

*Brazil's Neymar is a difficult guy to like........Great skill...but 'difficult'

 

*Why are players allowed to grab and push the officials....?

That isnt allowed in any other sport and isnt allowed in high school and college soccer.

 

*The downtown square Moscow is a scary looking place...

 

*I love instant replay being allowed...the games are too important and the fans care to much to leave everything to the eye of the ref.

 

*I love the Mexican announcer who does he FOX English speaking broadcasts...

..He speaks a broken English but he is so lively and funny..Just great

 

*48 teams in 2022...?   Sixteen 3-team groups and then a 32-team, 5-round single-elimination playoff. Am I reading that right.?

That's a real bad format. If you lose your first pool play game..you are virtually eliminated

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

  Help me out here folks..

Mexico has seemingly a huge fan base./..more than any other country.

But they've NEVER won the World Cup? 

 

First round thoughts:

*I like Argentina but this team looks like they havent played with each other very long.

Belgium plays like Argentina is supposed to play

 

*Brazil's Neymar is a difficult guy to like........Great skill...but 'difficult'

 

*Why are players allowed to grab and push the officials....?

That isnt allowed in any other sport and isnt allowed in high school and college soccer.

 

*The downtown square Moscow is a scary looking place...

 

*I love instant replay being allowed...the games are too important and the fans care to much to leave everything to the eye of the ref.

 

*I love the Mexican announcer who does he FOX English speaking broadcasts...

..He speaks a broken English but he is so lively and funny..Just great

 

*48 teams in 2022...?   Sixteen 3-team groups and then a 32-team, 5-round single-elimination playoff. Am I reading that right.?

That's a real bad format. If you lose your first pool play game..you are virtually eliminated

 

I don't like the format but the latter part, if they play sudden death for game 3 in all groups, no draws allowed, that would be perfect. I am sure FIFA is working on it and most likely, I think that would be how it will be done - either sudden death or OT leading to penalty shootout, if OT results in a tie.

 

I would prefer sudden death, like they did in South Korea for that first 16 X 3 format, at least for game 3 across all groups, so that the teams advancing have more in the tank to save PK shootouts for later and avoid two teams with a win already not just settling for a draw, just my two cents.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

I don't like the format but the latter part, if they play sudden death for game 3 in all groups, no draws allowed, that would be perfect. I am sure FIFA is working on it and most likely, I think that would be how it will be done - either sudden death or OT leading to penalty shootout, if OT results in a tie.

 

I would prefer sudden death, like they did in South Korea for that first 16 X 3 format, at least for game 3 across all groups, so that the teams advancing have more in the tank to save PK shootouts for later and avoid two teams with a win already not just settling for a draw, just my two cents.

I agree about the 'no ties' in the pool play......that wouid change things. That is better.

but here's another issue.  You need 3 days between games in each pool. With 3 teams, that would be awkward.

A vs. B on Day 1. A vs. C on Day 4....(C would have a rest advantage)  B vs. C on Day 8 (B would have a signifcant rest advantage.

 

I think there has to be 4 teams in each of 12 pools (with 32 teams advancing, the final 8 wouid be 3rd place teams with the most points) so all 4 pool teams can play every 3 or 4 days. 

 

48 teams is a lot but the fan support is incredible.

I'm not a fan of American soccer or the European leagues..

But I love the World Cup because it seems to mean so much to the fans and players.

I wish they held it every 2 years

 

..as for this year..I want Germany and Argentina to rally and advance.

I want all the legacy teams to go head to head....and we need a Portugal-Argentina showdown somewhere along the line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GOZER Congrats on getting that win. Hope they go far. 

 

Have you been watching?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did catch the end of that game, South Korea made it interesting with little time left. I hope Mexico can go all the way, it is long overdue! Cant say I follow Soccer(football) as much as some of my other friends and family members do, I’m more of a Baseball/ NFL Football/ Boxing fan. I just never got into it, and not discrediting it, it’s a tough sport with a loyal following.  Like the NBA if they get into the later rounds I start watching and supporting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 9:52 PM, oldunclemark said:

I agree about the 'no ties' in the pool play......that wouid change things. That is better.

but here's another issue.  You need 3 days between games in each pool. With 3 teams, that would be awkward.

A vs. B on Day 1. A vs. C on Day 4....(C would have a rest advantage)  B vs. C on Day 8 (B would have a signifcant rest advantage.

 

I think there has to be 4 teams in each of 12 pools (with 32 teams advancing, the final 8 wouid be 3rd place teams with the most points) so all 4 pool teams can play every 3 or 4 days. 

 

48 teams is a lot but the fan support is incredible.

I'm not a fan of American soccer or the European leagues..

But I love the World Cup because it seems to mean so much to the fans and players.

I wish they held it every 2 years

 

..as for this year..I want Germany and Argentina to rally and advance.

I want all the legacy teams to go head to head....and we need a Portugal-Argentina showdown somewhere along the line

 

Germany, as long as they reward performance and not politics or reputation, will keep improving as the tournament goes on. Mueller has been out of form and Ozil has been dragged into political conversations, so their head coach needs to reward performance, period, to put the best 11 out there. Their D does not have enough quality bodies to last long, IMO. However, Germany is always that pesky fly that won't go away in big tournaments.

 

The ones I am liking right now are Croatia, Belgium and Mexico - those will be the biggest challengers to the top contenders going in - Brazil, Spain, Germany, France and then the "you don't know what you will get" teams like England and Portgual.

 

Argentina is dead, it is time to let go. If Messi won't make noise, I will root for Ronaldo to make some noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A thumping 6-0 win for England over the weekend (glad I managed to get a bet on Harry Kane for the Golden Boot before the tournament started).  Not fun to watch our neighbours getting so excited about their prospects! 

 

Tough to gauge how far they will go as they were expected to comfortably beat Tunisia and Panama and I am now not sure how strong a team they will field against the Belgians as both teams are now through to the next round regardless of the result. 

 

I would like to think that the teams would field a strong starting 11 to try and maintain momentum, but I could see the argument for resting players, especially as some of the games have been in hot conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

A thumping 6-0 win for England over the weekend (glad I managed to get a bet on Harry Kane for the Golden Boot before the tournament started).  Not fun to watch our neighbours getting so excited about their prospects! 

 

Tough to gauge how far they will go as they were expected to comfortably beat Tunisia and Panama and I am now not sure how strong a team they will field against the Belgians as both teams are now through to the next round regardless of the result. 

 

I would like to think that the teams would field a strong starting 11 to try and maintain momentum, but I could see the argument for resting players, especially as some of the games have been in hot conditions.

 

How do Kane's 3 goals vs Panama count compared to Ronaldo's 3 goals vs Spain? We are not talking apples to apples, IMO. That is why the golden boot stats can be padded early on vs bad teams and if you have a 2 goal lead going into the knockout phase, your team's destiny decides your golden boot destiny and you are playing teams that would be tough to score against as the knockout phase comes in.

 

I am almost tempted to think that when they expand to 48 teams, after the initial group phase of 16 groups of 3, the top 32 that make it should just start their knockout phase then, a round of 32 instead of a round of 16. 1 less group game, 1 more knockout game, for any team that makes the round of 16, IMO. It also makes for more excitement with more games mattering. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, chad72 said:

 

Argentina is dead, it is time to let go. If Messi won't make noise, I will root for Ronaldo to make some noise.

 

I guess Argentina is alive  - spoke too soon.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I guess Argentina is alive  - spoke too soon.

Aregentia vs. Portgual....

Messia vs. Ronaldo .....still possible...

 

 

England, Germany, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil are the showcase teams but I didnt know about Belgium and Croatia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Aregentia vs. Portgual....

Messia vs. Ronaldo .....still possible...

 

 

England, Germany, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil are the showcase teams but I didnt know about Belgium and Croatia

 

Add Sweden to the mix. They were the reason that Italy was kept out of the World Cup. They play the same counter attacking football that teams that have gone further in the World Cup in the past like Italy, Spain etc. play. They play like Leicester City that won the Premier League in 2016. Leicester City said they were not worried about possession stats. They defended stoutly and when they had an opportunity for a counter attack, they knew they had the speed to make it count.

 

Sweden is doing the same thing - pretty much their entire team is within 10 yards of the penalty box when their opponents have the ball in their territory, and once they see the gaps, they are off to the races when they have the ball. I am impressed. Their loss vs Germany, I felt they had some bad calls go against them and Germany got lucky to get a win and not a tie vs Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2018 at 8:38 AM, chad72 said:

 

I guess Argentina is alive  - spoke too soon.

I can’t believe it had to come to that for us to make on to the next round...

 

France May have the better squad, more momentum, etc etc but never count us out. Having the best player in a game where one goal is enough you can never underestimate. It also helps that Messi is a 10 and not a striker so no one really has to create his chances like some other players...

 

This Cup is great. After losing two copa finals and having a horrendous qualifying campaign salvaged by last game magic from Messi I have no expectations or delusions of winning the whole thing. I’m just here for the ride. Vamos vamos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

   When did Belgium became a soccer power....3-0 so far

 

Both Belgium and England rested some key players, so I wouldn't put too much stock into this game. When a third of their players started playing together for Tottenham, in the English Premier League, you are playing some of the best in the world, and that is what helped with the Belgium players' skills.

 

Belgium and England both have players from Tottenham, and a while ago, I was speculating that the English players, by being too divided across the English Premier League, may not have the team chemistry. But the talent in the English Premier League is undeniable. We will have to see how far the English go, their draw is favorable all the way till the semi-finals. 

 

Spanish and German players play primarily in the top 3 teams in their country's league and thus have better team chemistry, at least I thought so till Germany came down crashing and burning. Germany's #2 team probably had better chemistry than their #1 team that was on the field due to reputation more than form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Both Belgium and England rested some key players, so I wouldn't put too much stock into this game. When a third of their players started playing together for Tottenham, in the English Premier League, you are playing some of the best in the world, and that is what helped with the Belgium players' skills.

 

Belgium and England both have players from Tottenham, and a while ago, I was speculating that the English players, by being too divided across the English Premier League, may not have the team chemistry. But the talent in the English Premier League is undeniable. We will have to see how far the English go, their draw is favorable all the way till the semi-finals. 

 

Spanish and German players play primarily in the top 3 teams in their country's league and thus have better team chemistry, at least I thought so till Germany came down crashing and burning. Germany's #2 team probably had better chemistry than their #1 team that was on the field due to reputation more than form.

Belgium has a golden generation. Had them high in my rankings right from the start. 

Germany.... Yea what about my team.... A lot of top players from the best teams in the world. 

We had no really team this year. All top level players but no team and no leaders. Plus the system and tactics the coach played is not up to our time. The time of much ball possesion stats are over. But he didn't realize. 

Hope he quits and we can build a new team. We have so much young talented players that i have no fear about the future of german football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

Belgium has a golden generation. Had them high in my rankings right from the start. 

Germany.... Yea what about my team.... A lot of top players from the best teams in the world. 

We had no really team this year. All top level players but no team and no leaders. Plus the system and tactics the coach played is not up to our time. The time of much ball possesion stats are over. But he didn't realize. 

Hope he quits and we can build a new team. We have so much young talented players that i have no fear about the future of german football. 

 

Yes sir, Leicester City, the champ of the 2016 English Premier League, and now Sweden are proving those ball possession stat theories archaic. Even with a 40-60 disadvantage, teams are winning with a good counter attacking philosophy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Yes sir, Leicester City, the champ of the 2016 English Premier League, and now Sweden are proving those ball possession stat theories archaic. Even with a 40-60 disadvantage, teams are winning with a good counter attacking philosophy. 

But i still can't imagine sweden going further than quarter finals. But it's already a great effort to win this group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

But i still can't imagine sweden going further than quarter finals. But it's already a great effort to win this group. 

 

They will run into England and England's defenders are more stout than I thought they would be, and some of them are real strong to box out forwards, I mean, real strong. You can see it when they play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 6:48 AM, chad72 said:

 

Both Belgium and England rested some key players, so I wouldn't put too much stock into this game. When a third of their players started playing together for Tottenham, in the English Premier League, you are playing some of the best in the world, and that is what helped with the Belgium players' skills.

 

Belgium and England both have players from Tottenham, and a while ago, I was speculating that the English players, by being too divided across the English Premier League, may not have the team chemistry. But the talent in the English Premier League is undeniable. We will have to see how far the English go, their draw is favorable all the way till the semi-finals. 

 

Spanish and German players play primarily in the top 3 teams in their country's league and thus have better team chemistry, at least I thought so till Germany came down crashing and burning. Germany's #2 team probably had better chemistry than their #1 team that was on the field due to reputation more than form.

.....what breeds good soccer playing countries....I thought the goal of all players (skillwise and financially) was to get to the English Premier League......  but France obviously seems to have a lot of African Influence..

..were they predicted to be this strong? 

 

4-3 final.....not the greatest game technically, I'm guessing but entertaining

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

.....what breeds good soccer playing countries....I thought the goal of all players (skillwise and financially) was to get to the English Premier League......  but France obviously seems to have a lot of African Influence..

..were they predicted to be this strong? 

 

4-3 final.....not the greatest game technically, I'm guessing but entertaining

Yes, France was predicted to be this strong. They almost won the european championship two years ago. They have a hyper talented offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Yes, France was predicted to be this strong. They almost won the european championship two years ago. They have a hyper talented offense. 

They do..

Has France, which has always been multi-cultural,  benefitted from immigration from Africa....in the last couple of generations?

They seem controlled ...yet highly athletic.......They have a mix

..they made Argentina look slow..

 

..No chance Messi will be back at age 35, right? Too old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They do..

Has France, which has always been multi-cultural,  benefitted from immigration from Africa....in the last couple of generations?

They seem controlled ...yet highly athletic.......They have a mix

..they made Argentina look slow..

 

..No chance Messi will be back at age 35, right? Too old

I don't think he'll be back for another world cup. France is no. 1 title contender after that game imo. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They do..

Has France, which has always been multi-cultural,  benefitted from immigration from Africa....in the last couple of generations?

They seem controlled ...yet highly athletic.......They have a mix

..they made Argentina look slow..

 

..No chance Messi will be back at age 35, right? Too old

It's not always a generational immigration. A lot of the players were born in africa. But as there has been a lot of French colonies in france they have better chances to become french citizens (there's even a law that makes it easier for them if I'm right). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 23, 2018 at 9:49 AM, oldunclemark said:

*I love the Mexican announcer who does he FOX English speaking broadcasts...

..He speaks a broken English but he is so lively and funny..Just great

I will confess that Soccer or the World Cup holds virtually no interest to me in the slightest at all. But, I do concur with Mark that booth guys that cover futbol are very entertaining indeed. Their enthusiasm & bravo is second to none. 

 

To those that love Soccer for Natl. Countrymen pride, carry on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wild finish ....Uruguay..2 Portugal 1

 

Just 2 great goals by Uruguay....calls didnt go for Portugal but they didnt deserve to win

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I say how much I dislike the shootout..

Just not a legitimate way to decide a championship game

I know they do it at every level of the sport.

Its just as bad in high school as it is in the World Cup

Games should be decided by players playing the game..not one skill

 

....In the 'knockout round'  you MUST play games to their conclusion.

I dont care how long it takes. These are world championship games

 

Belgium vs. Brazil........early showdown:thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 1:02 PM, ColtsGermany said:

I don't think he'll be back for another world cup. France is no. 1 title contender after that game imo. 

 

France vs Brazil seems like the collision course in the semi-finals. 

 

Brazil, however, this World Cup, has given up just 1 goal, and that was on a set piece play. Brazil normally goes very far when the defensive side of its game matches up with its offensive prowess and I feel they will prevail over France's youth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

France vs Brazil seems like the collision course in the semi-finals. 

 

Brazil, however, this World Cup, has given up just 1 goal, and that was on a set piece play. Brazil normally goes very far when the defensive side of its game matches up with its offensive prowess and I feel they will prevail over France's youth. 

Don't sleep on Uruguay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:
On 6/30/2018 at 12:17 PM, oldunclemark said:

 

I concur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, akcolt said:

Don't sleep on Uruguay 

 

It will depend on Cavani's injury. Cavani, with Suarez, makes Uruguay opportunistic on offense and without him, it will be easier for teams to focus on Suarez easier.  If he is not going to play, they will have to hope to play ugly and win 1-0 vs France but given France's firepower, 2-1 or a PK shootout might be more necessary on Uruguay's part than a 1-0 because I do not see France being shut out, I just do not at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WC 2018 Quarter Finalist Amazing Facts: FRANCE has 6 letters & URUGUAY has 7 letters BRAZIL has 6 letters & BELGIUM has 7 letters SWEDEN has 6 letters & ENGLAND has 7 letters RUSSIA has 6 letters & CROATIA has 7 letters Dates : 6 & 7 July

 

Does that mean the teams with 6 letters - France and Brazil win on the 6th and the teams with 7 letters - England and Croatia win on the 7th? Destiny??? :thmup:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 8:23 AM, chad72 said:

 

France vs Brazil seems like the collision course in the semi-finals. 

 

Brazil, however, this World Cup, has given up just 1 goal, and that was on a set piece play. Brazil normally goes very far when the defensive side of its game matches up with its offensive prowess and I feel they will prevail over France's youth. 

Disappointed in Brazil..Thought they outplayed Belgium but didnt finish scoring plays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 11:18 AM, oldunclemark said:

Disappointed in Brazil..Thought they outplayed Belgium but didnt finish scoring plays

 

There is also a defender that missed Brazil's game that was a key part of their D doing well so far:

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cups-stupidest-rule-doomed-brazil-belgium-215449020.html

 

Belgium just has more firepower with all their best players being one of the best in the English Premier League. That is why they are called the golden generation. It is now or never for Belgium, and that is how they are playing. Brazil does not have the quality depth that Belgium has, kind of like the Colts under Polian, an injury to a key player and they cannot go far in the playoffs. :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  England fans feel their team is cursed due to a history of losing tie games on PKs?

 

A lot of countries and fan bases here seem to feel such an entitlement that they SHOULD be winning.

Where does that come from?

Some of these countries havent won in decades..or (like Mexico) have never won...

So if they lose they blame it on their team and their coaches instead of the numerical odds reality of what ends up as a 16-team single elimination tournament.:thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.