Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Trade I Wish Ballard Would Make.

Dark Superman

Trade for AJ Green.

I'm all in on the youth movement and trying to build a team from the draft, but I also realize the importance of Andrew Luck and the need to surround him with top talent. AJ Green turns 30 next month but would be someone I would love to trade for to pair with TY Hilton. The Colts haven't had a reliable option behind TY Hilton since Reggie Wayne retired. Green and Hilton would give defenses nightmares with a healthy Andrew Luck throwing them the ball. He's a guy who could really use a change of scenery and deserves a heck of a lot better than Andy Dalton and the lousy Bengals. 

21 minutes ago, Savage said:

Trade for AJ Green.

I'm all in on the youth movement and trying to build a team from the draft, but I also realize the importance of Andrew Luck and the need to surround him with top talent. AJ Green turns 30 next month but would be someone I would love to trade for to pair with TY Hilton. The Colts haven't had a reliable option behind TY Hilton since Reggie Wayne retired. Green and Hilton would give defenses nightmares with a healthy Andrew Luck throwing them the ball. He's a guy who could really use a change of scenery and deserves a heck of a lot better than Andy Dalton and the lousy Bengals. 

No way the Bengals trade him for less than 2 firsts

52 minutes ago, Savage said:

Trade for AJ Green.

Even tho the eagles had Alshon Jeffery there blue print didn't consist of top Wr stars to win the Superbowl. in fact other than Jeffery the other Wr's were no names 

• Like 1

Trading for AJ Green would cost quite a bit.  Not worth it for a guy that's going to hit 30 soon.  

Don't get me wrong if he was a free agent I'd sign him to an 8 figure APY contract.  But the cost to trade for him in terms of draft picks is too high for my taste.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Even tho the eagles had Alshon Jeffery there blue print didn't consist of top Wr stars to win the Superbowl. in fact other than Jeffery the other Wr's were no names 

Torrey Smith and former 1st rounder Nelson Agholor are no names? You may want to rethink your assessment of the Eagles blue print. They signed former pro bowler Mike Wallace this off season further evidence they value the WR position more then you realize. 

Just now, akcolt said:

Torrey Smith and former 1st rounder Nelson Agholor are no names? You may want to rethink your assessment of the Eagles blue print. They signed former pro bowler Mike Wallace this off season further evidence they value the WR position more then you realize. 

Nelson Agholor is on his third year i believe right? he didnt have a very good rookie year and his only good year was last year so yes a no name. however you are right about smith i forgot about him

AJ Green is a free agent in 2020. Right now, he's making roughly $14M per year with the Bengals. He's their top threat. I don't think a trade is even possible unless it's a massive deal like 2 1st Rounders or something similar. 

19 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

LB Shane Ray of Denver. I expect LB Bradley Chubb to take mins from him and heard they won’t exercise his fifth year. We are still a little thin at LB and he could maybe be had. 

He's currently injured. Just had a second wrist surgery I believe. Part of the reason they haven't committed to him for a fifth year.

26 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He's currently injured. Just had a second wrist surgery I believe. Part of the reason they haven't committed to him for a fifth year.

And is built for a 3-4 scheme not a 4-3 imo. I do not see Shane Ray being a huge factor with his hand in the dirt in the NFL.

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Yes. No names 

One is washed and the other is okay at best, hasn’t shown justification for being a 1st rounder. We'll see how he does over the next 2 years. Name wise, Alshon is the most respectable from the group. And even he has his injury issues so he was on a prove it deal this past season 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tvturner said:

The get younger, not older thing this board has is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous?

You enjoy watching guys clearly past their primes play? Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, etc etc 

Ballard said he’s gonna build through the draft, sign a few veterans here and there, and work with it. Signing/Trading 30 year old WR’s no matter how good they are isn’t really a reflection of Ballard’s vision. 

I may be in the minority here but I’m looking forward to Grant, Fountain, Cain and the other guys. Not interested in signing Dez Bryant nor trading for AJ Green as the OP says. 

Only time I wanna see AJ Green even remotely close to the Colts is come week 1 when hopefully they shut him down and Colts win the game. 

Other than that, let him stay in Cincinnati 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

After watching what we've done for two straight offseasons and FA periods I don't know what made the OP think Ballard would even be slightly interested in trading for AJ Green.  If he wanted to spend big money on a FA WR he would have done that at some point. Especially with all the money we had/have in reserve that is just sitting there.   The man said he wanted to establish a core of guys that we drafted on our own.  This is where guys like Fountain, Cain, Ishmael and whoever else come in to play.   It's pretty obvious how Ballard views FA right now.  He will dip in the pool but it's got to be a great fit and it's got to be nice on the Wallet.  High upside guys with cheap price tags that fit the culture and have fire in their bellies to prove something..   Once he gets the roster looking the right way then that's probably when you will see a big signing or two.  Right now it's just bargain shopping................

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

How is it ridiculous?

You enjoy watching guys clearly past their primes play? Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, etc etc 

Ballard said he’s gonna build through the draft, sign a few veterans here and there, and work with it. Signing/Trading 30 year old WR’s no matter how good they are isn’t really a reflection of Ballard’s vision. 

I may be in the minority here but I’m looking forward to Grant, Fountain, Cain and the other guys. Not interested in signing Dez Bryant nor trading for AJ Green as the OP says. 

Only time I wanna see AJ Green even remotely close to the Colts is come week 1 when hopefully they shut him down and Colts win the game. 

Because we barely have any veterans?

Young teams with no leaders/vets don't win championships that often

18 minutes ago, tvturner said:

You plan on the Colts going to the Championship this year?  Probably not.  Green or no Green the offense will still be pretty productive with the presence of Luck alone. Add that with an Oline that can finally and presumably run and pass block.  Lucks had worse receivers in front of him than this group for sure.  Plus we have pretty good talent at the Tight End position.  The cupboard isn't bare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Yes. No names 

One is washed and the other is okay at best, hasn’t shown justification for being a 1st rounder. We'll see how he does over the next 2 years. Name wise, Alshon is the most respectable from the group. And even he has his injury issues so he was on a prove it deal this past season 

Sounds like you just hate the Eagles. Nelson Agholor is hardly a no name. My player comp for him coming into the league was Reggie Wayne. And here is their third year stats:

Reggie Wayne- Age 25  REC 68 Yards 838 TD 7

Nelson Agholor- Age 24 REC 62 Yards 768 TD 8

Pretty close to the same stats. That's with Manning passing to Wayne the entire season while Agholor only had Wentz for 13 games. Nick Foltz struggled in his three regular season games.

I wouldn't call Torrey Smith a star by any means and he's always been a one trick pony. BUT, he can steal fly and defenses still have to respect his deep speed.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Sounds like you just hate the Eagles. Nelson Agholor is hardly a no name. My player comp for him coming into the league was Reggie Wayne. And here is their third year stats:

Reggie Wayne- Age 25  REC 68 Yards 838 TD 7

Nelson Agholor- Age 24 REC 62 Yards 768 TD 8

Pretty close to the same stats. That's with Manning passing to Wayne the entire season while Agholor only had Wentz for 13 games. Nick Foltz struggled in his three regular season games.

I wouldn't call Torrey Smith a star by any means and he's always been a one trick pony. BUT, he can steal fly and defenses still have to respect his deep speed.

I hate the Eagles cause I called one player washed and another hasn’t lived up to his 1st round pick? 

Umm..... okay 

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Yes. No names 

I. think there is a disconnect on the meaning of the phrase no name. 

6 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

LB Shane Ray of Denver. I expect LB Bradley Chubb to take mins from him and heard they won’t exercise his fifth year. We are still a little thin at LB and he could maybe be had. 

Shane Ray would be a DE here, which we have plenty of. This team needs LBs, DTs, and CBs 

Nah. But I think next year, or maybe the year after, Ballard is going to pull off his version of the Alshon Jeffery signing with the Eagles. Maybe not as big of a name and probably not for as much money, but I get the feeling he'll add a veteran FA receiver at some point. I don't think he'll give up big draft picks for a veteran player any time soon. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tvturner said:

T.Y., Slauson, Doyle, Castonzo, Vinatieri, Ebron, Simon, Sheard, Geathers, Turbin, Al Wood, Najee Goode, Denico Autry, McCain, Nunes-Roches, Ryan Grant, and Luck. 

Barely any veteran leaders???

15 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

He’d play DE for us and has big issues with his wrist that has kept him out on and off for a while. 

I liked him coming out so I’d be cool with getting him. But I’m not sure I’d spend anything higher than a 6th for him at this point. Especially with his contract running out.

13 hours ago, tvturner said:

12 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

So you’re expecting a 4-12 team to go to Super Bowl 53? 

At present, we are a poor team with a limited number of elite players. 

We keep those elite players and bring in young guys with good character and, in a few years, you hope to have more elite talent and young guys who are then the leaders of an organisation they are truly connected to.

18 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

How is it ridiculous?

Well, this post is kinda ridiculous because you're comparing Andre Johnson and Frank Gore who were both in their mid 30's already when they came to the Colts.  Green hasn't even turned 30 yet.  He's not even close to past his prime.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Well, this post is kinda ridiculous because you're comparing Andre Johnson and Frank Gore who were both in their mid 30's already when they came to the Colts.  Green hasn't even turned 30 yet.  He's not even close to past his prime.  

He’s 29. Will be 30 July something. So going into the season he’s 30. Correct not mid 30 like Gore and them but still 30

Get younger, not older. T.Y. is our Vet. I’m not one for the “you need vets to teach the young guys”. That’s what coaches are for. Not to mention Reggie Wayne is the WR coach consultant or something to that effect

Thats enough teaching/experience to not need to trade for an older player. Give the young guns a chance to show what they have. Evaluate what you have after the season, then make the changes if you feel we do need changes at WR