Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyquan Lewis bowl game.

Two_pound

I watched the Ohio State-USC bowl game last week and one thing that stood out was the play of Tyquan Lewis. He was Ohio States best dlineman in that game. Constantly got a push into the backfield to disrupt the USC offense. He played RDE,RDT, and LDT at various points throughout the game. He had a strip sack on Darnold. I know it was just one game but he was very impressive. On a side note Sam Darnold was very UNIMPRESSIVE. I think we have alot to look forward to with Lewis this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am a devout fan of OSU, but Lewis most times was the 2nd string lineup at OSU.

I see him as an interior pass rusher, but an enormous liability against the run.

I think he was drafted 2 rounds early

He is way too slow coming off the edge

He was pushed around on the interior

I hope he works out

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am a devout fan of OSU, but Lewis most times was the 2nd string lineup at OSU.

I see him as an interior pass rusher, but an enormous liability against the run.

I hope he works out

Also a devout Buckeye and I can’t argue with your assessment.  Except where he was drafted, that’s strictly an opinion.  

I will add that the OSU Dline was so talented and deep no one could game plan against him.  

However, I think besides Bosa he may have been the most complete lineman on the team.  And I hope he fills a role with us now.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I watched the Ohio State-USC bowl game last week and one thing that stood out was the play of Tyquan Lewis. He was Ohio States best dlineman in that game. Constantly got a push into the backfield to disrupt the USC offense. He played RDE,RDT, and LDT at various points throughout the game. He had a strip sack on Darnold. I know it was just one game but he was very impressive. On a side note Sam Darnold was very UNIMPRESSIVE. I think we have alot to look forward to with Lewis this year.

On the Sam Darnold note, he’s more of an upside kind of guy. Definitely had some underwhelming games. But when he was on, he was on. So for him it’s a matter of being more consistent and reaching that potential he has 

He has trouble disengaging from OL.

In college, if an OL, got both of his hands on him, he was unable to break away

The good OL absolutly mauled him.  

I dont see him EVER being a starter

I get the potential status, and can see the need for a fresh body to come off the bench to pass rush at the end of games, but at that pick, there were some CBs and LBs that could have been picked that would be the favorite to start for this defense

Love my Colts, Love the Buckeyes, I just didnt like the pick at the time

I hope I am wrong though.........

He will probably get 34 sacks this year :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope he works out

Not an OSU fan...this is pretty similar to how I feel. I watched a good bit of Lewis tape after the pick because I didn’t like it at the time of the pick based off pre-draft rankings. 

I was looking for positives and there are some. But what I saw was a DE who will likely have to kick inside to have an impact as a pass rusher (seems like something most DEs could do). And he almost seemed distinterested at times in playing run defense. 

Both the DEs drafted seemed like Ballard was targeting a position at that point...and not necessarily BPA. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lewis is a pretth good player. I like a lot of what I've seen from him on the interior. He could make a lot of noise at 3 tech. He and Autry should be able to get a nice level of disruption. And I like that both of them can be kicked outside at DE and give solid play on the edges as well. I'm also interested to see the outcome of the Chris McCain Case. Hopefully the claim was false because I think he would help us also.

• Thanks 1

I can see why Ballard chose Lewis over guys like Hurst and some of the other guys we thought were the better choices. You get a guy who is consistently disruptive on the interior and on top of that he put up a solid 8 sacks 2 years in a row I believe on the outside as a DE mixed in with his work on the inside. I like the value! I wonder how many pressures he got when playing on the inside versus somebody like Maurice Hurst.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Lewis is a pretth good player. I like a lot of what I've seen from him on the interior. He could make a lot of noise at 3 tech. He and Autry should be able to get a nice level of disruption. And I like that both of them can be kicked outside at DE and give solid play on the edges as well. I'm also interested to see the outcome of the Chris McCain Case. Hopefully the claim was false because I think he would help us also.

I truly hope you are right.......

We will see how he develops.  I am not unhappy that we took him...... I just thought it was a round or two early.

I am not feeling good about the lack of talent at LB that we are starting out the season with though....... hopefully we pick up some depth there

21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly hope you are right.......

We will see how he develops.  I am not unhappy that we took him...... I just thought it was a round or two early.

I am not feeling good about the lack of talent at LB that we are starting out the season with though....... hopefully we pick up some depth there

We will see how it shakes out. Sometimes perception isn't reality

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 7:16 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I hope he works out

On 6/21/2018 at 10:08 AM, MikeCurtis said:

He has trouble disengaging from OL.

In college, if an OL, got both of his hands on him, he was unable to break away

The good OL absolutly mauled him.  

I dont see him EVER being a starter

I get the potential status, and can see the need for a fresh body to come off the bench to pass rush at the end of games, but at that pick, there were some CBs and LBs that could have been picked that would be the favorite to start for this defense

Love my Colts, Love the Buckeyes, I just didnt like the pick at the time

I hope I am wrong though.........

He will probably get 34 sacks this year :)

I checked his Bench reps, Vertical, and pro-day Broad Jump.  His explosion number  (EN) is right at 70. Ran some EN and Production ratio numbers on a few players below.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Some extra stats and comps to go with your more typical numbers (from Pat Kirwan) -

Explosion number = bench reps + vertical + broad jump
anything higher than 70 is top tier level (higher is better)

Production Ratio = (Tackles for Loss + Sacks) / Games Played = Production Ratio
anything higher than 1.0 is good (higher is better)

Tyquan Lewis -         24 + 35.5 + 10.55 = 70.05
Production ratio =  (37 + 23.5) / 44 = 1.375  

Joey Bosa -            24 + 32 + 10 = 66
PR = (51 + 26) / 38 = 2.026

J.J. Watt -            34 + 37 + 10 = 81 !!   
PR = (36.5 + 11.5) / 26 = 1.846

Aaron Donald -         35 + 32 + 9.66 = 76.66
PR = (66 + 29.5) / 51 = 1.872

Jadeveon Clowney -     21 + 37.5 + 10.33 = 68.83
PR = (47 + 24) / 36 = 1.972

Von Miller -           21 + 37 + 10.5 = 68.5
PR = (50.5 + 33) / 47 = 1.777

Cameron Jordan -       25 + 31 + 9.9 = 65.9
PR = (34 + 16.5) / 50) = 1.01

----------------------------------------------
Kony Ealy -            22 + 31 + 9.5 = 62.5
PR = (28 + 13.5) / 39  = 1.06

Because you can measure the dog in the fight, but not always the fight in the dog, there are always exceptions / outliers to the numbers. IE:

Vernon Gholston -      37 + 35.5 + 10.5 =  83!!
PR = (30.5 + 22.5) / 31 = 1.709

Like everything else, it is only anpother tool to be used along side other things (tape, private workout, interviews, etc...) I think it can give a clue if one has the ingredients to be coached to produce at a high level, provided the player is motivated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I checked his Bench reps, Vertical, and pro-day Broad Jump.  His explosion number  (EN) is right at 70. Ran some EN and Production ratio numbers on a few players below.

Some extra stats and comps to go with your more typical numbers (from Pat Kirwan) -

Because you can measure the dog in the fight, but not always the fight in the dog, there are always exceptions / outliers to the numbers. IE:

Like everything else, it is only anpother tool to be used along side other things (tape, private workout, interviews, etc...) I think it can give a clue if one has the ingredients to be coached to produce at a high level, provided the player is motivated.

Thanks CBF....    very good of you to put this together for all of us...

I’d like to add another note to consider with your post...

There was a thread the night of Day 2 of the draft.   A poster who was furious with Ballard asked did the Colts get 5 starters with their first five draft picks?

I think it should be noted that NFL.com had an article where roughly 6-7 GMs guessed at the number of STARTERS that would come out of this draft.   The range was 21 at the low end to 104 at the high end.  I think one GM had 77.   One was around 60.   The rest were below 50.   We don’t know how Ballard saw this draft. But he has talked about Komoko and Lewis like they are guys who will likely play 50-65 percent of the snaps.  Komoko was taken 52 and Lewis was taken 64. Not full time starters, but certainly guys who will play often and hopefully make a difference.    

As long as they can contribute, and make some type of impact, I’m totally good with our draft.

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

As a Buckeye fan I was really disappointed when Gholston was drafted by the Jets. I think his career could have been much better, and longer, had he went to a 4-3 team. 

On 7/14/2018 at 12:17 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Thanks for providing the numbers, I'm sure that took some time.  All that list shows me is that explosion number really means very little and is not a useful tool at all.  The PR number seems to be a more viable tool to use in player evaluation.  Lewis' is definitely more impressive than I thought it would be, especially considering it's based on games played not snaps and Lewis was not a full time starter for OSU.

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks for providing the numbers, I'm sure that took some time.  All that list shows me is that explosion number really means very little and is not a useful tool at all.  The PR number seems to be a more viable tool to use in player evaluation.  Lewis' is definitely more impressive than I thought it would be, especially considering it's based on games played not snaps and Lewis was not a full time starter for OSU.

I see where you might draw that conclusion, but I've run many more players than just these posted (which are mostly top tier players). And while I give a nod to PR myself, I find the EN is useful too.  To wit, I've not found a high to awesome PR when the EN is average or below.

Example... 4 year Tennessee player and Broncos first round draft DE Robert Ayers. Here is his number-

EN = (18 + 29.5 + 8.5) = 56
PR = (31.5 + 9) / 48  =  0.844

Both below the top tier level, and the player disappointed on 3 teams over a 9 year period (for real? he lasted 9 years?)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AyerRo99.htm

He's not the only one that fits this model either.  I'm just not in the mood to devote any more time compiling them for posting though. But they exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I see where you might draw that conclusion, but I've run many more players than just these posted (which are mostly top tier players). And while I give a nod to PR myself, I find the EN is useful too.  To wit, I've not found a high to awesome PR when the EN is average or below.

Example... 4 year Tennessee player and Broncos first round draft DE Robert Ayers. Here is his number-

EN = (18 + 29.5 + 8.5) = 56
PR = (31.5 + 9) / 48  =  0.844

Both below the top tier level, and the player disappointed on 3 teams over a 9 year period (for real? he lasted 9 years?)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AyerRo99.htm

He's not the only one that fits this model either.  I'm just not in the mood to devote any more time compiling them for posting though. But they exist.

That is interesting.  The reason EN doesn't seem to mean much is because 70 is considered Top tier, yet there are numerous players that ARE top tier on your list (and were top tier in college) yet are not top tier in EN.

But it is like any statistic... in the right situation it can help provide a clearer picture as  long as it's not used to paint the entire canvas (which I know YOU are not doing).

• Like 1