Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things I love (and hate) about the NFL

coltsfeva

LOVE - This is an exciting time for NFL fans. Players are getting bigger and faster. Every week we see incredible athleticism such as one-handed grabs, pinpoint passes and flawless execution and play calling, somewhere in the league. There are some pretty innovative coaches in the league that have built their philosophies on previously successful minds. 

HATE -  But for all the progress that is happening, there are secondary things that I don’t like but have become part of the NFL “experience”.

Group celebrations. Players separating themselves from their teammates to “pump their chest” or other acts of self-glorification.

We’ve confused arrogance with confidence and called it “swag”. (I was trying to remember if I had ever heard Peyton boast about himself.....nope).

NFL pundits and shows like GMFB and certain podcasts.

Too many commercials. Politics. 

I know I’m getting old and there is money to be made so, these things are here to stay.

So, I’ll watch the games, root for my Colts and enjoy the greatest players in the world playing one of the greatest games and sift through the superfluous garbage that has become part of the game I love.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

LOVE - This is an exciting time for NFL fans. Players are getting bigger and faster. Every week we see incredible athleticism such as one-handed grabs, pinpoint passes and flawless execution and play calling, somewhere in the league. There are some pretty innovative coaches in the league that have built their philosophies on previously successful minds. 

HATE -  But for all the progress that is happening, there are secondary things that I don’t like but have become part of the NFL “experience”.

Group celebrations. Players separating themselves from their teammates to “pump their chest” or other acts of self-glorification.

We’ve confused arrogance with confidence and called it “swag”. (I was trying to remember if I had ever heard Peyton boast about himself.....nope).

NFL pundits and shows like GMFB and certain podcasts.

Too many commercials. Politics. 

I know I’m getting old and there is money to be made so, these things are here to stay.

So, I’ll watch the games, root for my Colts and enjoy the greatest players in the world playing one of the greatest games and sift through the superfluous garbage that has become part of the game I love.

Some of those choreographed, end-zone celebration skits and "look at me!" gestures are annoying. When you get to the end zone, try to act like you've been there before.

• Like 6

Although it's just beginning to be summer, football season brings the fall crisp air. Earlier nights, hoodies, and the holidays. Not that football really has anything with those. But those are some of my enjoyments.

I love having Sunday afternoons filled with action, heartache, and joy. I love watching NFL pregames and seeing the players warming up on the field across all the stadiums. I love hearing the CBS and FOX theme songs. And scrambling to set my fantasy lineup before 1:00. Getting all my Colts gear on and my Sunday Lunch and getting ready for the game.

Things I dislike.. 

1. Watching the Patriots win

2. Too many commercials

3. Thursday night games every week.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Although it's just beginning to be summer, football season brings the fall crisp air. Earlier nights, hoodies, and the holidays. Not that football really has anything with those. But those are some of my enjoyments.

I love having Sunday afternoons filled with action, heartache, and joy. I love watching NFL pregames and seeing the players warming up on the field across all the stadiums. I love hearing the CBS and FOX theme songs. And scrambling to set my fantasy lineup before 1:00. Getting all my Colts gear on and my Sunday Lunch and getting ready for the game.

Things I dislike.. 

2. Too many commercials

I hate night games in general.  They just don't work out well for those of us on the eastern time zone who have to be at work the next day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Things I dislike.. 

2. Too many commercials

Those Thursday night games are too hard on the players, and I wouldn't miss them one bit. But least we no longer have to see those ridiculous "color rush" clown suits. 

14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I hate night games in general.  They just don't work out well for those of us on the eastern time zone who have to be at work the next day.  

Night games are tough on us early risers (I'm at work by 6 am) but honestly it's just too constant. All day Sunday, and Monday night's are pushing it. Throw in Thursday night, and then Saturday's later on. My wife hates me during football season lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Things I dislike.. 

2. Too many commercials

I love the Fall cool crisp air as well. I hate winter but I love September (start of Football), October, and November leading up to winter which winter is December-through basically March = the Bad months. In September and October it is still fairly warm and no Ice or Snow here. I love the Thanksgiving holiday as well. In the 3 Months I love that I mentioned 3/4 of the Football season is played and the Baseball Playoffs are as well. Just a great time of year for me. I always take a vacation over Thanksgiving and off from that Thursday up until the next Tuesday is how do it. I just go out to mom's and feast and watch Football on that Thursday and then Sunday with Monday off.

-I don't mind Thursday night games, I just dont like them when 2 Bad teams are playing. I dislike when Politics is brought into the game.

15 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Try being across the pond! Games ending at 4am are not good if you plan on being productive the next day! haha

• Haha 2

Great topic @coltsfeva.  Enjoyed thinking about this.

Love:

The coverage. As a football (soccer) fan, there is no equivalent to Redzone and that is such a brilliant way to watch the games.  Also an easy way to get friends/family involved in watching as they struggle to watch a full game on its own from an outside perspective. :popcorn:

The detail.  You could spend hours analysing one play, with the amount of people involved in key areas.  So much substance in everything that happens on the field (well expect that fake punt thing Pagano ran!)

Tony Romo.  He brings so much to the table in terms of entertainment and knowledge, makes every game he commentates on more interesting and hopefully more like him enter the booth in the coming years.

Playing in all conditions.  Some of the snow games can be brutal to watch (perfect example was the Bills game) but they are such a great spectacle. 

The parity.  Again, linking back to soccer, teams can buy their way to the top but the salary cap gives all teams hope for the future with draft stock.  The only risk IMO is the ever increasing salary cap limit.

Hate:

Over the top analysts.  People who just have hot takes to get their names out there on twitter.  :yuk:

The off-season.  Why does it have to be so long! I am not sure what the answer is as more games means more likely injuries before post-season, but this time of year is so dull! :sleepy: Maybe more games and more bye-weeks to compensate?

The Patriots.  Because, well, you know.  :locked:

• Like 4

Love:  NFL Films

*In the voice of John Facenda* - "They call it Pro Football"

Hate:  That they didn't have HD cameras back then...  :(

(Sidenote  -  If I get into heaven, I expect St. Peter to be like "Ok, now before you enter, here is John Facenda with your life highlights."  And then the classic NFL Films music starts up while I get to listen to "It all started on a frozen January morning, in the rugged hills of West Virginia, where a Mountaineer was born, and a life well-lived had just begun..."  :D)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Maybe more games and more bye-weeks to compensate?

Hey that's a good idea.  I know the idea for more games has been floating around for a few years now, and having an extra bye-week would help make that work.  :thmup:

(Of course, the season would have to start earlier.  If the NFL season went even a week longer, we could end up with Super Bowl Sunday being Feb. 14th... which might put a little strain on a few relationships.  Happy Super-Valentines-Bowl-Day, Honey! ... ... :catfight:)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Night games are tough on us early risers (I'm at work by 6 am) but honestly it's just too constant. All day Sunday, and Monday night's are pushing it. Throw in Thursday night, and then Saturday's later on. My wife hates me during football season lol

Your last statement is a problem I have as well.  

At a time when the weather is the nicest (I consider fall to be the nicest weather.) Iowa plays football on Saturday afternoons and the Colts play on Sunday afternoon.  And I'm constantly wanting to watch both games but I also feel like when I do I'm neglecting my family.  Lets face is, football games are long and those early afternoon hours are great times during the fall to take the kids to the zoo or the beach or somewhere else fun.  

To be fair the night games while I would have to stay up fairly late to watch the whole thing, they do allow me to spend time with the wife and kids without missing the game.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Try being across the pond! Games ending at 4am are not good if you plan on being productive the next day! haha

I'm not sure how one would do it given the time difference.  Isn't the UK like 6 hours ahead of eastern time zone or something?  Sort of curious how you picked Indy unless you are an ex-pat.  

I'm also a soccer fan and I've been tempted to watch more European sides.  (Mostly EPL or Bundesliga)  But I have no idea what team to support.  I don't want to be a bandwagon fan and support Man U. (Although to be fair Man City has been doing better then their "big brother" lately).  Probably the closest I could come might be to Borussia Dortmund because of Pulisic.  But that's supporting a player, not a team.  

It doesn't help that the US squad didn't qualify for the World Cup because half the team didn't want to try.  I can't watch the WC because of that.  I'm still mad about it and I'm going to stay mad about it until they qualify on the pitch.  (So they better qualify for 2022 or I'll be mad til 2030 at least!)

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure how one would do it given the time difference.  Isn't the UK like 6 hours ahead of eastern time zone or something?  Sort of curious how you picked Indy unless you are an ex-pat.  

I'm also a soccer fan and I've been tempted to watch more European sides.  (Mostly EPL or Bundesliga)  But I have no idea what team to support.  I don't want to be a bandwagon fan and support Man U. (Although to be fair Man City has been doing better then their "big brother" lately).  Probably the closest I could come might be to Borussia Dortmund because of Pulisic.  But that's supporting a player, not a team.  

It doesn't help that the US squad didn't qualify for the World Cup because half the team didn't want to try.  I can't watch the WC because of that.  I'm still mad about it and I'm going to stay mad about it until they qualify on the pitch.  (So they better qualify for 2022 or I'll be mad til 2030 at least!)

Yeah its a bit of a nightmare but only for the late games.  Most games are on at 6pm on Sunday's over here, then another batch at 9.30ish so not too bad.  Late games and Superbowl are into the early hours for starting.  Luckily the Colts are rubbish and so most of our games are Sunday 6pm this year! haha

It was a fairly random process to pick the Colts to be honest, I am a Glasgow Rangers fan and, since they play in blue, I decided to stick to that colour scheme and I am a big fan of Parks and Recreation and they had an episode at Lucas Oil Stadium and so I just went with my gut and went for that! Have never looked back!

I think when it comes to picking a team a lot of it comes down to gut instinct.  If I was to try and pick an NFL team from logic I would probably end up with the Packers due to their history, legacy of Lombardi, etc but I just never felt like they were right for me.  There are a lot of good EPL teams who are on the cusp of being really good (Spurs being a good example) that you could go with and follow or go for a less "sexy" team like West Ham and do something different.  As I say, it usually comes down to gut feel.

As  a Scotland fan, I feel your pain on the WC.  Watching teams like Saudi Arabia and Panama get waxed while our teams sit at home is frustrating, but fair play to those teams....they qualified and we didn't, more power to them.  At least when the WC comes to the US in 2026 it will be 48 teams, will be near impossible NOT to quaiify! haha

58 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Yeah its a bit of a nightmare but only for the late games.  Most games are on at 6pm on Sunday's over here, then another batch at 9.30ish so not too bad.  Late games and Superbowl are into the early hours for starting.  Luckily the Colts are rubbish and so most of our games are Sunday 6pm this year! haha

It was a fairly random process to pick the Colts to be honest, I am a Glasgow Rangers fan and, since they play in blue, I decided to stick to that colour scheme and I am a big fan of Parks and Recreation and they had an episode at Lucas Oil Stadium and so I just went with my gut and went for that! Have never looked back!

I think when it comes to picking a team a lot of it comes down to gut instinct.  If I was to try and pick an NFL team from logic I would probably end up with the Packers due to their history, legacy of Lombardi, etc but I just never felt like they were right for me.  There are a lot of good EPL teams who are on the cusp of being really good (Spurs being a good example) that you could go with and follow or go for a less "sexy" team like West Ham and do something different.  As I say, it usually comes down to gut feel.

As  a Scotland fan, I feel your pain on the WC.  Watching teams like Saudi Arabia and Panama get waxed while our teams sit at home is frustrating, but fair play to those teams....they qualified and we didn't, more power to them.  At least when the WC comes to the US in 2026 it will be 48 teams, will be near impossible NOT to quaiify! haha

Personally I don't understand why the UK doesn't just play as one team for international competitions.  You guys have this weird thing going on where you are all one country but you like to pretend you are different countries.  I get there is some history there and England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland used to be different nations.  But England, Scotland, Wales have been together for politically for more then 300 years.  That's longer then my country has even existed.

With the US, they should qualify easily.  The 2014 qualificaiton they breezed through.  The 2018 qualificaiton had a lot of issues.  From what I understand bringing in Klinsman caused a lot of problems and disunity that just couldn't be fixed overnight.

From a fan's prospective it was a gut punch because I would watch them play and in many of their qualification games including (especially) the last one a good majority of the team was giving no effort to the game.  At one point, with a trip to the World Cup on the line against the worst team left in qualification 2 defenders literally stood and watched as our keeper rushed out of his box to the wing to challenge for the ball (since no one else was as they where about to let him simply cross the ball without challenge.)   At least half the team played like they did not want to go to the world cup.  The world's most important soccer tournament, one that only comes every 4 years.  

Quite frankly it's the most painful memory as a sports fan in my life.  And the thing that made it so painful was not that the team was outplayed or didn't have the talent to keep up, I've seen that many times.  It was that the team had significantly more talent then the opposition but played like they did not want to win or even draw.  

With pro teams it a little tough for me.  I guess I don't have that gut feeling.  Only way I can support pro-teams is generally through geography or some other connection.  Which of course makes it difficult since I've never been to the UK.  (Been to France and Spain but never the UK.) 

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Personally I don't understand why the UK doesn't just play as one team for international competitions.  You guys have this weird thing going on where at times you act like you are all one country but you like to pretend you are different countries.  I get there is some history there and England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland used to be different nations.  But England, Scotland, Wales have been together for politically for more then 300 years.

With the US, they should qualify easily.  The 2014 qualificaiton they breezed through.  The 2018 qualificaiton had a lot of issues.  From what I understand bringing in Klinsman caused a lot of problems and disunity that just couldn't be fixed overnight.

From a fan's prospective it was a gut punch because I would watch them play and in many of their qualification games including (especially) the last one a good majority of the team was giving no effort to the game.  At one point, with a trip to the World Cup on the line against the worst team left in qualification 2 defenders literally stood and watched as our keeper rushed out of his box to the wing to challenge for the ball (since no one else was as they where about to let him simply cross the ball without challenge.)   At least half the team played like they did not want to go to the world cup.  The world's most important soccer tournament, one that only comes every 4 years.  

Quite frankly it's the most painful memory as a sports fan in my life.  And the thing that made it so painful was not that the team was outplayed or didn't have the talent to keep up, I've seen that many times.  It was that the team had significantly more talent then the opposition but played like they did not want to win or even draw.  

With pro teams it a little tough for me.  I guess I don't have that gut feeling.  Only way I can support pro-teams is generally through geography or some other connection.  Which of course makes it difficult since I've never been to the UK.  (Been to France and Spain but never the UK.) 

I think you may have won the Understatement of the Year award with your "I guess there is some history there" line (Braveheart anyone?).  I also am not keen on the "pretend you are different countries" line either.  If I had never been to a country, I would not be as forward to make presumptions over their allegiances and makeup.

I am Scottish, and am similar to the English the way you are similar to Canadians.  We compete at Olympics as Team GB due to history of having to compete as a sovereign state (or something along those lines), hence why there was a Team GB soccer team in the London Olympics.

All those points aside, a UK football team would likely have no Scottish players in it anyway! 

15 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think you may have won the Understatement of the Year award with your "I guess there is some history there" line (Braveheart anyone?).  I also am not keen on the "pretend you are different countries" line either.  If I had never been to a country, I would not be as forward to make presumptions over their allegiances and makeup.

I am Scottish, and am similar to the English the way you are similar to Canadians.  We compete at Olympics as Team GB due to history of having to compete as a sovereign state (or something along those lines), hence why there was a Team GB soccer team in the London Olympics.

All those points aside, a UK football team would likely have no Scottish players in it anyway! 

Don't mean to presume but I would think that 300+ years would have cooled tensions a bit.  However I admit at the same time that the US hasn't really fully healed from a civil war we had 150 years ago.   Although we don't play as different nations. 

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Don't mean to presume but I would think that 300+ years would have cooled tensions a bit.  However I admit at the same time that the US hasn't really fully healed from a civil war we had 150 years ago.   Although we don't play as different nations. 

Don't get me wrong, if I meet an English person on the street I am not going to immediately throw insults at him and look for a fight, but that doesn't make Scotland any less of a country. 

12 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Don't get me wrong, if I meet an English person on the street I am not going to immediately throw insults at him and look for a fight, but that doesn't make Scotland any less of a country. 

I guess I think we have different definitions of what a country is.  To me a country is the same thing as a sovereign state.  You have one military and you have one *national* government to which you all elect.  You use one currency.   You as far as I know don't need a passport or something similar to leave Scotland and visit England.  

I realize Scotland has their own parliament but to me (and perhaps this is ignorance on my part) seem to me to be essentially similar to Indiana's state legislature with Scotland's First Minister being similar somewhat to Indiana's governor. (although I recognize the limitations there because a federal presidential republic is different from a parliamentary constitutional monoarchy)  Although I suppose the comparison is somewhat limited because England doesn't have a first minister or different parliament from the national one.  But ultimately you all elect representatives to the UK's national parliament.  

I'm suppose it's not easy to make a comparison that is understandable in my experience.  Canada isn't apt.  They have their own government, military, currency, courts, and laws that are entirely independent of ours.  

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

It makes no difference what your definition of a country is my friend. 

It does because to me a country is a sovereign state.  And Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not that.  The UK is.  Is that an incorrect definition? 

41 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It does because to me a country is a sovereign state.  And Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not that.  The UK is.  Is that an incorrect definition? 

OK, I am going to stop discussing this with you as we have derailed this, rather good, thread and topic. Apologies for this to others.

Admin, feel free to delete the posts in relation to whether Scotland is a country. Maybe a Google will help those unclear.

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Your last statement is a problem I have as well.  

At a time when the weather is the nicest (I consider fall to be the nicest weather.) Iowa plays football on Saturday afternoons and the Colts play on Sunday afternoon.  And I'm constantly wanting to watch both games but I also feel like when I do I'm neglecting my family.  Lets face is, football games are long and those early afternoon hours are great times during the fall to take the kids to the zoo or the beach or somewhere else fun.  

To be fair the night games while I would have to stay up fairly late to watch the whole thing, they do allow me to spend time with the wife and kids without missing the game.  

The last few years I've really tried to not care too much about other games. I'll put them on, but if my daughters want to watch a movie, or the wife wants to go out to the store I'll go. They usually understand when the colts are on. So I act like the other games don't care as much to me. I can periodically check up on the scores. 

I must Cherish the young years of apple and pumpkin picking with the little ones. Soon enough I'll have all Sundays to football again

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

The last few years I've really tried to not care too much about other games. I'll put them on, but if my daughters want to watch a movie, or the wife wants to go out to the store I'll go. They usually understand when the colts are on. So I act like the other games don't care as much to me. I can periodically check up on the scores. 

I must Cherish the young years of apple and pumpkin picking with the little ones. Soon enough I'll have all Sundays to football again

I am trying to watch either Iowa or the Colts if they are both playing during the afternoon that weekend so that I will always have at least 1 full day of the weekend with them.  

On June 19, 2018 at 3:04 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Things I dislike.. 

2. Too many commercials

I'm with you too. The overall feeling of NFL football, even though it has nothing to do with football itself. I enjoy the harvest times of the year. Warm during the day, slight chill in the air at night. Hearing the NFL gameday songs. The only thing I dislike about the feeling is knowing that a cold Winter is upon us for like 5-6 months. lol

• Like 1

I love the warm summer weather, the golden era of football the 70s and Peyton Mannings brilliance at the line of scrimmage ( greatest thing I've ever seen in football ). Loved MNF in its original version. 

i hate Fall weather.  Everything is dying. I don't like  steroids and free agency and millionaire players.   I dislike most sportscasters today.  anything with skip and Stephen A. Is bad. Not much I like about the game today except that it's football and that's better than most sports. 

That sounds grumpy but im not. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Things I enjoy about the NFL:

--Miraculous comebacks in the playoffs. Sorry Chiefs fans.

--Anytime the Dallas Cowboys get pulverized on the field. Thank you Denver.

--Cheerleaders. Why even show them if fans never get to see any routines on camera? Just curious...

--A fluid offense that clicks & dominates the time of possession.

--The military fly over before every game.

Things I despise about the NFL:

--No guaranteed player contracts.

--Teams being paid by the military for patriotic signs of support & then displaying fake outrage when black players kneel in peaceful protest they are accused of not displaying genuine pride for their country. Oh, the irony...

---Owners demanding a player discount from a veteran to save the team money when the entire league makes a killing off of TV broadcasting deals & merchandising sales etc.

--The league for not being consistent on penalties/punishments regarding violence off the field infractions. They don't even follow their own guidelines in many cases.

--Referees who get crucial calls wrong. We all remember that Seahawks/Packers game that was decided incorrectly.

--Way too many TV ads. Holy moly man. Sigh...

--The defense rarely gets any call on the field in their favor. Stop protecting QBs so much.

--When was the last time PI was called on an offensive player? It's pretty rare.

Love:

Football

The parity of the league.   Every team truly has a chance to make the playoffs. 

Fantasy - I really have fun playing the the couple leagues I do.  

Hate:

Fantasy - I don't like that it influences how I want games to go.   I also don't care for how most stats shown are in reference to fantasy stats. 

The political involvement.