Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre preseason 53 man roster

CR91

On 6/17/2018 at 4:14 AM, akcolt said:

I think you may be a little high on Bond. He is going to have a tough time making the roster from where I sit. He's a pure pivot and he's currently the 3rd C on the team behind Kelly and Slauson.  I'm sure you are fimilar with Kelly. Slauson played C very well when called on in Chicago and SD. He's a very good G too and a solid free agent signing. 

Haeg is seeing an increased work load at C so far this year. That doesn't help Bond's cause. I thought Bond filled in admirably last year for an UDFA pushed into duty. I like him but his lack of position flex is going to make it tough. We have 2 starting level C's already on the roster. I think best case scenario for Bond maybe the PS even that'll be tough as a pure pivot. 

I'm not sure why some are down on Haeg. Joe is only 25 years old entering year 3 in the league with starting experience at G and T. He's currently showing the ability to cover at C too. That's the kind of versatility teams look for in O linemen but is difficult to find. He may never become an above average starter on the OL but reserves who can play all 5 spots are very valuable 

So we are talking about a one year guy that filled in at center and for the most part held his own vs a 3 year guy that played all 5 spots and was below average for the most part... I don't know and its not he made any strides from year to year. Like someone said Bond will get pluck from the practice squad. Will like to see Bonds year two in preason and if he has improve some from year one I take him over Heag. But I get your point on versatility.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 2:32 PM, jskinnz said:

As good a guess as any.

If you get within 90% right you are doing something (or got lucky).  

Where I would disagree.

1.  I think Mewhort does not make it

2. 11 d linemen is too many

3. I think Hines' versatility mean 1 less WR that makes it

4. I thinl Swoope makes it and they keep 4 TE's

Mewhort? Retired i thought

8 hours ago, Tombstone said:

So we are talking about a one year guy that filled in at center and for the most part held his own vs a 3 year guy that played all 5 spots and was below average for the most part... I don't know and its not he made any strides from year to year. Like someone said Bond will get pluck from the practice squad. Will like to see Bonds year two in preason and if he has improve some from year one I take him over Heag. But I get your point on versatility.

I agree completely.  I'd love to have competent backup for Kelly.  If Haeg isn't as good a center as Bond, then I'm not buying into the Swiss Army Knife thing.  I get you want to conserve roster spots, but we are all painfully aware of the need for strong backups.  I'm hoping Haeg shows something this year.  If he isn't strong enough for tackle, I'm not sure sliding him inside will help a whole lot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coltscrazy said:

I agree completely.  I'd love to have competent backup for Kelly.  If Haeg isn't as good a center as Bond, then I'm not buying into the Swiss Army Knife thing.  I get you want to conserve roster spots, but we are all painfully aware of the need for strong backups.  I'm hoping Haeg shows something this year.  If he isn't strong enough for tackle, I'm not sure sliding him inside will help a whole lot. 

I don't trust Haag or Clark out there protecting Luck.  I hold my breath when I see them out there.  It's a disaster waiting to happen. 

24 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Bond is not remotely close to being average, at best a borderline PS to 3rd string player. Look at how low PFF graded him last year...basically worse than Antonio Morrison.

Did you watch Bond play last year? Comments like that point to no. PFF grades aren't the end all be all. Go back and watch his tape.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Bond is not remotely close to being average, at best a borderline PS to 3rd string player. Look at how low PFF graded him last year...basically worse than Antonio Morrison.

From what I remember I thought Bond was getting a lot of compliments about his play before his injury.  Right now he is listed as the 2nd. team center ahead of Haag who is on the third team.  I think he has a chance to make this team.

7 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

I am having a hard time buying into Haag as this Swiss Army Knife guy as well.  Last year he couldn't beat out Haag at RT and then when the LG job opened up Vuj won that job.  He can probably play the three positions now but if he isn't any good what's the point.  Vuj might actually be the more versatile swing T or G.  We shall find out soon.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, jskinnz said:

As good a guess as any.

Where I would disagree.

Mewhort wont make it cause he retired.

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

From what I remember I thought Bond was getting a lot of compliments about his play before his injury.  Right now he is listed as the 2nd. team center ahead of Haag who is on the third team.  I think he has a chance to make this team.

According to reports Haeg got 2nd Team reps today(8-5)

On 6/14/2018 at 2:32 PM, jskinnz said:

As good a guess as any.

Where I would disagree.

nice prediction!

9 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

According to reports Haeg got 2nd Team reps today(8-5)

I don't read much into that.  OL are currently moving all over the place with the exception of Kelly and Nelson.  This is the time to test him with the competition.  Right now he's solid 3rd. team on the depth chart no matter the position. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't read much into that.  OL are currently moving all over the place with the exception of Kelly and Nelson.  This is the time to test him with the competition.  Right now he's solid 3rd. team on the depth chart no matter the position. 

Haeg can play any Oline position, that versatility does not go unnoticed and is highly valued.

11 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Haeg can play any Oline position, that versatility does not go unnoticed and is highly valued.

He certainly can play any OL position.  The problem is he's not good at any of them.  Unlike Joe Reitz who demonstrated he was good at all of the them.  

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He certainly can play any OL position.  The problem is he's not good at any of them.  Unlike Joe Reitz who demonstrated he was good at all of the them.  

It's not like he has been outright terrible.

Pff listed him at tackle last season and rated him 64.1, which is only just below average. Considering he is young, playing multiple positions and the oline was horrible entirely last year that isn't too bad. 

With a line that should be much improved, his level of play will rise or at least appear to rise, he'll have another year of experience to add to his resume and he can continue to work on his positional work...I'd much rather have haeg on the roster than Vujnovic or Glowinski.