Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 11 Colts of All-Time (NFL.com)

Caleb3502

NFL.com is breaking down the top 10 players from each franchise by division.  Yesterday was the AFC South.  Here's their list of their top 10 Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937048/article/alltime-xi-afc-south-no-2-slot-for-peyton-manning-jj-watt

1) Johnny Unitas, QB (1956-1972)
2) Peyton Manning, QB (1998-2011)
3) Marvin Harrison, WR (1996-2008)
4) Raymond Berry, WR (1955-1967)
5) Gino Marchetti, DE (1953-1966)
6) Reggie Wayne, WR (2001-2014)
7) John Mackey, TE (1963-1971)
8) Dwight Freeney, DE (2002-2012)
9) Edgerrin James, RB (1999-2005)
10) Lenny Moore, RB (1956-1967)
11) Art Donovan, DT (1950, 1953-1961)
Coach: Tony Dungy (2002-2008)

• Like 4

• Caleb3502 changed the title to Top 11 Colts of All-Time (NFL.com)
1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This list simply emphasis why 'all time list' in any category doesn't mean jack.  Bert Jones, truly one of the Best QB's of all time had he not had his career shortened by injury is not even on a top 10 colt list?

Even Belichek said he was the best he ever seen.

He didn't play long enough.    Never won a playoff game

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This list simply emphasis why 'all time list' in any category doesn't mean jack.  Bert Jones, truly one of the Best QB's of all time had he not had his career shortened by injury is not even on a top 10 colt list?

Even Belichek said he was the best he ever seen.

Bob Sanders, truly one of the best Safeties of all time had he not had his career shortened by injury...

Injuries keep some really good players off lists like this and have kept some players out of the HoF when they otherwise probably would have gotten in.

It is what it is.  I'm not taking anyone off this list to make room for Bert Jones or Bob Sanders because they couldn't stay healthy enough to replace any of those names.

:hat:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Not sure I would put Edge over Mathis. He was only here 6 years. 

I was wondering how they included Freeney but not Mathis.  I believe Mathis had more sacks and strip-sacks as a Colt than Freeney, and he spent his entire career (playing, and now coaching) with the Colts...

:scratch:

• Like 2

No Robert Mathis or Bob Sanders?? Odd. Here is my Top 5

1. Peyton Manning - By a hair over Unitas!

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Dwight Freeney - Best Pass Rusher we have ever had IMO. His importance was really felt when he couldnt play in the 2nd Half of SB 44.

5. Reggie Wayne - I have seen film on Raymond Berry and have looked at his numbers, by my eye test Reggie was better, JMO

• Like 1

I noticed they were all during two eras. Either during Peyton's time or Johnny's. Just thought that was interesting. Art and Gino being there before Johnny though if only for a bit.

1 hour ago, KB said:

I noticed they were all during two eras. Either during Peyton's time or Johnny's. Just thought that was interesting. Art and Gino being there before Johnny though if only for a bit.

To break that narrative I could make a huge case for Eric Dickerson being on this list. Reasons:

1. He was the 1st bigtime impact player that the Indianapolis Colts acquired which was in 1987. We were a joke and the laugh of the league when we moved to Indy in 1984 from Baltimore. From 1984-1986, we stunk. In 1986 we went 3-13 but when we got Dickerson in a trade he turned our whole franchise around. In 1987 we went 9-6 and won the AFC East and the Pats and Dolphins both were Good back then. Teams had to finally take us serious when we got him. He put us on the map here in Indy. Before we got him almost nobody here in Indy cared about the team to be honest.

2. Eventhough he only had 3 Great seasons here, see above what I posted and he was Great here = he won the Rushing Title in 1988 something Marshall Faulk never did here. When it comes to Marshall Faulk my lasting memory of him as a Colt is playing all 16 games in 1995 being injury free, then carry the ball once in the Playoffs and leave with an injury and not play again in those Playoffs. That and his Turf Toe. The 1995 Colts could've won the SB but ol' Turf Toe pulled a Tomlinson in the Playoffs. Faulk then goes to the Rams and plays like he's the best ever in 1999 winning a SB LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

NFL.com is breaking down the top 10 players from each franchise by division.  Yesterday was the AFC South.  Here's their list of their top 10 Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937048/article/alltime-xi-afc-south-no-2-slot-for-peyton-manning-jj-watt

1) Johnny Unitas, QB (1956-1972)
2) Peyton Manning, QB (1998-2011)
3) Marvin Harrison, WR (1996-2008)
4) Raymond Berry, WR (1955-1967)
5) Gino Marchetti, DE (1953-1966)
6) Reggie Wayne, WR (2001-2014)
7) John Mackey, TE (1963-1971)
8) Dwight Freeney, DE (2002-2012)
9) Edgerrin James, RB (1999-2005)
10) Lenny Moore, RB (1956-1967)
11) Art Donovan, DT (1950, 1953-1961)
Coach: Tony Dungy (2002-2008)

The problem is, it's tough to take anyone off this list to add someone different. Maybe Donovan out and Mathis in there. I loved Dickerson but Mathis played here his whole career and was our all-time Sack leader. Sanders was Great too but his longevity/durability keeps him off this list IMO. 

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The problem is, it's tough to take anyone off this list to add someone different. Maybe Donovan out and Mathis in there. I loved Dickerson but Mathis played here his whole career and was our all-time Sack leader. Sanders was Great too but his longevity/durability keeps him off this list IMO. 

That's the problem with these type of lists,there are always good players left off.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Jim Parker , Best Colts Lineman, should be on the list. And Lenny Moore should be #3.

add John Mackey , a tight end that ran through players, had 1 of greatest runs after a catch ever plowing throw 1 defender after another

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SORRY  I just reviewed list again he is already there, guess my short term memory is going

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Jim Parker , Best Colts Lineman, should be on the list. And Lenny Moore should be #3.

agreed , Parker was a fortress protecting Unitas's blindside

Hard to place who is where on list but Moore can run with the best but what a WR as well, or simply out of the backfield  best play Unitas hitting him way deep in stride along sideline leading him and keeping him in bounds to keep running for what ended up a 72 yard td if remember right

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bayone said:

agreed , Parker was a fortress protecting Unitas's blindside

Hard to place who is where on list but Moore can run with the best but what a WR as well, or simply out of the backfield  best play Unitas hitting him way deep in stride along sideline leading him and keeping him in bounds to keep running for what ended up a 72 yard td if remember right

Hi Barry, how have you been? Yeah this list is Good but we have had so many Great players, we need a Top 20 actually. I may reel that off in a while. Jim Parker was Great.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hi Barry, how have you been? Yeah this list is Good but we have had so many Great players, we need a Top 20 actually. I may reel that off in a while. Jim Parker was Great.

Thanks for the hi , doing well enough thanks , mini setbacks as par for course but no complaints overall , no significant deterioration - just got to be careful- really dont have time for this as immediately get nice  how are u, or welcome back  and  need to concentrate on pt, drs etc and this not place for that , really should write u what just wrote but easier to wish all the best, the colts the best etc etc for all who bother to read right here than individual messaging with my dexterity issues and just say i may not respond but will always read

Luck throwing was important as is this list to this ancient colt fan from the 50's that remebers Unitas in 56

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bayone said:

add John Mackey , a tight end that ran through players, had 1 of greatest runs after a catch ever plowing throw 1 defender after another

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SORRY  I just reviewed list again he is already there, guess my short term memory is going

Barry, good to see you posting, man!!! Hope you stick around a bit.

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Barry, good to see you posting, man!!! Hope you stick around a bit.

Thanks , good to post - Read my above comment in post just before yours -2 posts baCK

will always read, commenting hard , fingers can spasm for 10-50 minutes on any mouse or full size keyboard type, after spasm hand locks up also 10-50 minutes, may not happen for a few months or 5 x a day-- the more i use it the greater the chance - tried month back to comment and it happened and after spasms / lock up stopped said forget it & just massaged hand & fingers - sorry know this aint the place to comment on such matters

• Like 1

I agree Mathis would be on my list of Top Colts.

Sanders... as great of a player he was and as fun as he was to watch, he played in 48 out of a possible 112 games and never played an entire season.  There is no way I could vote a guy as one of the best in a franchise when he missed more than 50% of his games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, bayone said:

Thanks , good to post - Read my above comment in post just before yours -2 posts baCK

will always read, commenting hard , fingers can spasm for 10-50 minutes on any mouse or full size keyboard type, after spasm hand locks up also 10-50 minutes, may not happen for a few months or 5 x a day-- the more i use it the greater the chance - tried month back to comment and it happened and after spasms / lock up stopped said forget it & just massaged hand & fingers - sorry know this aint the place to comment on such matters

Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my Top 10 + 1 = 11, after that it really is a crapshoot LOL

1. Peyton Manning

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Dwight Freeney

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Gino Marchetti

7. John Mackey

8. Jim Parker - Best O.Lineman in Colts history

9. Robert Mathis

10. Raymond Berry

11. Edgerrin James, best RB in Colts history due to Stats and Longevity

-The only 2 players I have in my Top 11 they don't is Mathis and Parker, I took out Lenny Moore and Art Donovan. My order is different though.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Dwight Freeney

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Gino Marchetti

7. John Mackey

9. Robert Mathis

10. Raymond Berry

-The only 2 players I have in my Top 11 they don't is Mathis and Parker, I took out Lenny Moore and Art Donovan. My order is different though.

cant complain save list needs to be bigger, all should be there, Moore has longer tenure than James BTW

art Donovan from the back of his 1957 card

-1 of the most able defense-men in the league,, made all pro for 3rd straight time in 56 ( dont know about latter years ) has the power to spare and bolts through the line in a flash to smother enemy passers and rack up runners with shattering tackles-.  uses his brain as well as brawn . art is one of the toughest men to trap

back of 58 card

1 of the most bruising men on the field,....  opponents want no part of him because he plays to tough... running into him islike butting into a brick wall and when he clamps his massive arms around a ball carrier it looks like he is trying to seperate him from his head

Lenny moores cards say = cpmellinjg stuff,

58 card like he has proved to be  one of most sensational t runners to enter NFL in years, like a bolt of lighning  streaking down the field with that ball cardled in hand - had best ground gainhing average last year

56 card

talks about how fast he  can he hit though holes etc

sorrry fingers hurt stopping here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bayone said:

cant complain save list needs to be bigger, all should be there, Moore has longer tenure than James BTW

art Donovan from the back of his 1957 card

-1 of the most able defense-men in the league,, made all pro for 3rd straight time in 56 ( dont know about latter years ) has the power to spare and bolts through the line in a flash to smother enemy passers and rack up runners with shattering tackles-.  uses his brain as well as brawn . art is one of the toughest men to trap

back of 58 card

1 of the most bruising men on the field,....  opponents want no part of him because he plays to tough... running into him islike butting into a brick wall and when he clamps his massive arms around a ball carrier it looks like he is trying to seperate him from his head

Yeah I hated leaving either guys off. Moore did play longer than James as a Colt but James' Stats were far better. James had more Longevity than Dickerson or Faulk though. Robert Mathis is the All-Time Sack Leader in Colts history so to leave him off this list of 11 just makes no sense to me. Jim Parker could play Tackle or Guard and made 9 1st Team All-Pro, also weighed nearly 280 pounds which was gigantic when he played. He is clearly the best O.Lineman ever to wear a Colts uniform so no way he shouldn't be on the list, JMO. I know people love Lenny Moore like Jimmy G does but I think Parker and Mathis belong more. It is all opinion, so I am sure some will agree with me and some will disagree with me. 

-For the Lenny Moore fans I would put him at #12 by the way right behind James. I shouldve did a Top 20 LOL. Alot of Bert Jones fans in here too, he just didn't play long enough to be on that list staying healthy IMO much like Bob Sanders. Look at how Good to Great Andrew Luck was in his 1st 3 seasons and he would be lucky to make a Top 20 list of all-time Colts.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mathis has one elite year without Freeney. Otherwise he didn’t do much without the help. Not that our coaching staff helped out much. But that doesn’t matter. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I hated leaving either guys off. Moore did play longer than James as a Colt but James' Stats were far better. James had more Longevity than Dickerson or Faulk though. Robert Mathis is the All-Time Sack Leader in Colts history so to leave him off this list of 11 just makes no sense to me. Jim Parker could play Tackle or Guard and made 9 1st Team All-Pro, also weighed nearly 280 pounds which was gigantic when he played. He is clearly the best O.Lineman ever to wear a Colts uniform so no way he shouldn't be on the list, JMO. I know people love Lenny Moore like Jimmy G does but I think Parker and Mathis belong more. It is all opinion, so I am sure some will agree with me and some will disagree with me. 

-For the Lenny Moore fans I would put him at #12 by the way right behind James. I shouldve did a Top 20 LOL. Alot of Bert Jones fans in here too, he just didn't play long enough to be on that list staying healthy IMO much like Bob Sanders. Look at how Good to Great Andrew Luck was in his 1st 3 seasons and he would be lucky to make a Top 20 list of all-time Colts.

I had added this ON MOORE to my  original post  via edit after u responded to add to back of donovan cards the moore ones

58 card like he has proved to be  one of most sensational t runners to enter NFL in years, like a bolt of lighning  streaking down the field with that ball cardled in hand - had best ground gainhing average last year

56 card

Lets face it we all had preference, grew up with original colts thats why I have great personal memories  and am jaded  Via childhood idols & why have PSA judged set of 58 starters & some subs plus some early and later years like Arts Donovans  52 rookie, Obviously Mackey was later , every unitas yearly casrd of cpurse,

talk about multi positional  someone called Bert Rechchar-

have a 51 rookie size of a postage stamp( actually was college & in college uniform  but officially NFL    considered it his rookie card  even though his 52 card he is still a tenn volunteer , 

( back then rookie cards could come out before or even a year  after a player was on a team and playing - VERY WEIRD 

he was a ace pass receiver with great fake out moves,100 yard td punt return ( think was in college but could do it in later years as needed ) , was a "wingback"/ halfback ,at 1 point held NFL record for field goal made- 56 yarder think in 1953 as a colt and was considered 1 of the colts ace DB's , had 5 IT's in 57 i think it was & in 53, voted colt MVP of the Colt DB group as per his 54 card , the 53 card i dont have when he realy became a colt

Belive played some roles on 58 team, not sure what though but doubt started, belive he played in all 58 games but didnt start in any

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Dwight Freeney

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Gino Marchetti

7. John Mackey

9. Robert Mathis

10. Raymond Berry

Why only 11?  Stampede Blue did 50 -

1) Peyton Manning
2) Johnny Unitas
3) Marvin Harrison
4) Raymond Berry
5) Gino Marchetti
6) John Mackey
7) Reggie Wayne
8) Edgerrin James
9) Dwight Freeney
10) Lenny Moore

11) Robert Mathis, DE
12) Art Donovan, OG *
13) Jim Parker, FB *
14) Jeff Saturday, OC
15) Bert Jones, QB *
16) Jim Harbaugh, QB
17) Alan Ameche, RB *
18) Adam Vinatieri, K
19) Tarik Glenn, OT
20) Gary Brackett, LB

21) Chris Hinton, OG
22) Bob Sanders, SS
23) Mike Curtis, LB-FB *
24) Bobby Vogel, OT *
25) Dallas Clark, TE
26) Ray Donaldson, OC
27) Rohn Stark, P
28) Mike Barnes, DE *
29) Gene Lipscomb, DT *
30) Bubba Smith, DE *

31) Bobby Boyd, DB *
32) Marshall Faulk, RB
33) Buddy Young, FB *
34) John Dutton, DT-DE *
35) Clarence Verdin, KR
36) Mike Vanderjagt, K
37) Rick Volk, DB *
38) George Konze, OT *
39) Bert Rechichar, DB, LB, RB *
40) Eric Dickerson, RB

41) Dick Szymanski, OC-LB *
42) Ted Hendricks, LB *
43) Jerry Logan, DB *
44) Willie Richardson, WR *
45) Antoine Bethea, FS
46) Fred Miller, DT *
47) Will Wolford, OT
48) Duane Bickett, LB

49) Tom Matte, RB *
50) Dominic Rhodes, RB

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/6/19/4444938/top-50-indianapolis-baltimore-colts-players-all-time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Why only 11?  Stampede Blued did 50 -

1) Peyton Manning
2) Johnny Unitas
3) Marvin Harrison
4) Raymond Berry
5) Gino Marchetti
6) John Mackey
7) Reggie Wayne
8) Edgerrin James
9) Dwight Freeney
10) Lenny Moore

11) Robert Mathis, DE
12) Art Donovan, OG *
13) Jim Parker, FB *
14) Jeff Saturday, OC
15) Bert Jones, QB *
16) Jim Harbaugh, QB
17) Alan Ameche, RB *
18) Adam Vinatieri, K
19) Tarik Glenn, OT
20) Gary Brackett, LB

21) Chris Hinton, OG
22) Bob Sanders, SS
23) Mike Curtis, LB-FB *
24) Bobby Vogel, OT *
25) Dallas Clark, TE
26) Ray Donaldson, OC
27) Rohn Stark, P
28) Mike Barnes, DE *
29) Gene Lipscomb, DT *
30) Bubba Smith, DE *

31) Bobby Boyd, DB *
32) Marshall Faulk, RB
33) Buddy Young, FB *
34) John Dutton, DT-DE *
35) Clarence Verdin, KR
36) Mike Vanderjagt, K
37) Rick Volk, DB *
38) George Konze, OT *
39) Bert Rechichar, DB, LB, RB *
40) Eric Dickerson, RB

41) Dick Szymanski, OC-LB *
42) Ted Hendricks, LB *
43) Jerry Logan, DB *
44) Willie Richardson, WR *
45) Antoine Bethea, FS
46) Fred Miller, DT *
47) Will Wolford, OT
48) Duane Bickett, LB

49) Tom Matte, RB *
50) Dominic Rhodes, RB

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/6/19/4444938/top-50-indianapolis-baltimore-colts-players-all-time

I know I cheated us haha. I just stopped at 11 because that what was on the original Post in here. Andrew Luck belongs in the Top 50 based on 3 Playoff wins, having the Rookie record for most Yards Passing, and being only 1 of 8 QB's in NFL history to throw for 40 TD's or more in a season. I don't see him. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I cheated us haha. I just stopped at 11 because that what was on the original Post in here. Andrew Luck belongs in the Top 50 based on 3 Playoff wins, having the Rookie record for most Yards Passing, and being only 1 of 8 QB's in NFL history to throw for 40 TD's or more in a season. I don't see him. 

This list was done in June of 2013, so Andrew's 2013 and 2014 seasons weren't included. Just noticed that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bayone said:

I had added this ON MOORE to my  original post  via edit after u responded to add to back of donovan cards the moore ones

58 card like he has proved to be  one of most sensational t runners to enter NFL in years, like a bolt of lighning  streaking down the field with that ball cardled in hand - had best ground gainhing average last year

56 card

Lets face it we all had preference, grew up with original colts thats why I have great personal memories  and am jaded  Via childhood idols & why have PSA judged set of 58 starters & some subs plus some early and later years like Arts Donovans  52 rookie, Obviously Mackey was later , every unitas yearly casrd of cpurse,

talk about multi positional  someone called Bert Rechchar-

have a 51 rookie size of a postage stamp( actually was college & in college uniform  but officially NFL    considered it his rookie card  even though his 52 card he is still a tenn volunteer , 

( back then rookie cards could come out before or even a year  after a player was on a team and playing - VERY WEIRD 

he was a ace pass receiver with great fake out moves,100 yard td punt return ( think was in college but could do it in later years as needed ) , was a "wingback"/ halfback ,at 1 point held NFL record for field goal made- 56 yarder think in 1953 as a colt and was considered 1 of the colts ace DB's , had 5 IT's in 57 i think it was & in 53, voted colt MVP of the Colt DB group as per his 54 card , the 53 card i dont have when he realy became a colt

Belive played some roles on 58 team, not sure what though but doubt started, belive he played in all 58 games but didnt start in any

I hear you. Who you grew up with will always be special to anyone. I remember as a teenager when I 1st seen Eric Dickerson run, I thought he was the greatest player I ever saw. 

• Like 1

In a way I may be doing a disservice trying to rank Baltimore Colts properly to the old school fans. I never seen them live is why. I can rank the Top 25 Indianapolis Colts of all-time easily because I have seen them all live since 1984. Someone like Jimmy G or Bayone may look at my list as flawed because I wasn't watching Football back in the 50's or 60's and I don't blame them. They grew up with the Lenny Moore's and Unitas' etc..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1