Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Supplemental Draft Question

All teams are able to participate. Whatever round you select a player in corresponds to using that round's pick for the following year's draft.

ie: We pick a player in the 2nd round of the supplemental draft this year and that uses our 2018 2nd round pick.

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

so ive been a colts fan since 03 and yet i still don't know the answer to this question. yea i know i'm lame but ill ask it anyway so here it goes. Are all NFL teams able to take part in the Supplemental Draft or only certain ones?

All teams can participate.  The thing is, it is a semi lottery for bid (draft) order.  All teams with 6 or less wins are grouped in tier 1, all other teams with 7 or more wins but not in playoffs are in tier 2, then all playoff teams are in tier 3.  Then there's a weighted lottery within each tier to determine the order. So while a team could have  the top pick in April's draft, they're not guaranteed to have the top pick in the supplemental draft.

Then teams can either pass in a round, or submit a bid on a player within a certain round.  First bid in on a player gets him, but they lose that round draft pick in the following season's regular draft.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 12:12 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

All teams can participate.  The thing is, it is a semi lottery for bid (draft) order.  All teams with 6 or less wins are grouped in tier 1, all other teams with 7 or more wins but not in playoffs are in tier 2, then all playoff teams are in tier 3.  Then there's a weighted lottery within each tier to determine the order. So while a team could have  the top pick in April's draft, they're not guaranteed to have the top pick in the supplemental draft.

Then teams can either pass in a round, or submit a bid on a player within a certain round.  First bid in on a player gets him, but they lose that round draft pick in the following season's regular draft.

Thank you for the information.  I was wondering if you knew how the compensation works for the drafted player.  Is it the same as the regular draft and the range is pretty much set based on where he was drafted or is the player free to try and get as much as he can?  I thought you might know the answer.  Thanks a lot. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Thank you for the information.  I was wondering if you knew how the compensation works for the drafted player.  Is it the same as the regular draft and the range is pretty much set based on where he was drafted or is the player free to try and get as much as he can?  I thought you might know the answer.  Thanks a lot. 

The contract value is based on the draft slot used to select the player. So if you bid a 2nd round pick for a player and get him, his contract will be the same as if he was drafted in the second round of this year's full draft. The exact value probably depends on what grouping your team was placed in for the supplemental draft.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

The contract value is based on the draft slot used to select the player. So if you bid a 2nd round pick for a player and get him, his contract will be the same as if he was drafted in the second round of this year's full draft. The exact value probably depends on what grouping your team was placed in for the supplemental draft.

Thanks a lot.  That is how I thought it would work but i wanted to make sure.  Now the short wait to see if we are a bidder.