DaveA1102

Which "Under the Radar" Player Makes an Impact in 2018?

When we are at this point of the year (man, time is dragging on!), there is so little to go on, but I do always quite like to take a punt on "under the radar" players who I think will be a surprise impact player for us in the coming season.  I am not talking about high round draft picks or even returning players who we know are good (ie Kelly), but people who you might think could potentially not even make the 53 at this point, but who you fancy to end up being an important part of the roster.

This year, my pick is Ross Travis.

image.png.da15ab9ab79a64f02312190494723ce7.png

He wasn't involved a huge amount last year after being brought in from KC later in the season but his two catches against Denver went for 33 yards during a game where we struggled for momentum and those plays really caught the eye (although maybe due to color rush! haha).

He is 6-7, 235lbs and only 25 years old.  Reich coming in and looking to employ the tight ends more than we have seen in previous regimes means I think he gets a real shot at linking up with Luck.  Ebron and Doyle start ahead of him in the race for those starting spots, and Swoope is well thought of in the building, but I just see something in this guy that I think he might end up being a great chess piece for us, especially if we want to utilise 13 personnel every now and then.

Anyone else that likes any of the "under the radar" guys on the roster?  I did think about looking at Skai Moore, but think he may be an obvious one.

• Like 6

Okay, I’m going out on a limb here but I’m going to say TJ Green. He’s definitely under the radar. Boom or bust. 

Not a starter but if he can mimic Hooker (God forbid Hooker is out) or provide speed in dime packages and become a gunner on Special Teams, he could finally reach his potential.

Of course, he could get cut. I don’t think there’s any middle ground for him. He’s going to have to “wow” somebody to stay but could be a surprise asset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll go with Marlon Mack.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about him and jumped directly onto the Hines train.

It's gonna be a committee at RB this year, but Marlon Mack is gonna be a beast.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten about him and jumped directly onto the Hines train.

I don't know if I would agree people have forgotten him.  From what I have seen, many on here see him as our #1 back.

For the most part we know what his limitations are (blocking, blocking, blocking!) but I do agree that he could have a big year with holes being created for him with the new line.  Even more exciting as some of our new guys seem to have a strong ability in getting upfield if we can spring Mack outside.

I’ll say Anthony Walker. I think he and Leonard combine to form a talented LB duo

• Like 4

Anthony Walker JR. Does he count? Because I doubt he gets cut, but I do believe he has starter potential. Needs some development, but coming out of college, he was one of my favourite linebacker prospects. He's playing back at the weight that made him a rangy, sideline to sideline LB that could keep up with TEs and RBs in the flat. I specifically remember a game in 2015 against Stanford where he kept up with Christian Mccaffery. If he reaches his potential, he can become that rangy LB with coverage skills that this defense has lacked for pretty much the entire Luck era.

Maybe not under the radar to Colts fans, but certainly not a household name.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ll say Anthony Walker. I think he and Leonard combine to form a talented LB duo

We're the same person haha 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to say Tarell Basham in our new defense will lead the team in sacks... He just looks like a stud 4-3 DE! 

• Like 5

no doubt marlon mack. everyone keeps talking about hines, but mack is gonna the back we've been waiting for for a long time. 

• Like 1

I kinda hope I'm wrong because it might mean our WRs are getting injured, but I could see Steve Ishmael getting into games later in the season and flashing.

I also like the idea of another WR from Syracuse having a good career with the Colts!

marvin-harrison-of-the-indianapolis-colt

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I kinda hope I'm wrong because it might mean our WRs are getting injured, but I could see Steve Ishmael getting into games later in the season and flashing.

I also like the idea of another WR from Syracuse having a good career with the Colts!

Interesting shout, I like it! 

A lot of competition with TY, Rogers, Cain, Fountain and Grant all probably ahead of him at present but I like the fact you went for a long shot mate! :thmup:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I'm going to say Tarell Basham in our new defense will lead the team in sacks... He just looks like a stud 4-3 DE! 

Really good one! Seems ready-made for the "just let them go get the QB" defensive scheme.  

I think Tyquan Lewis will be a good rotational player, especially lining out in the 3-tech position not just DE. Wouldnt surprise me to see him get a sneaky 5 or 6 sacks next season rotating in and out.

He's not "super under the radar", but I'll say Deon Cain. He was drafted in the 6th round, probably should of been a day 2 pick, is 21 years old, and looked fantastic in OTA's (which was without Andrew Luck). People may point to the situation with Duron Carter and say he could end up like him, but he was a guy who dominated at a major school in Clemson, should of been drafted higher, and is a much better player than Carter. He is showing promise already, and I believe he can do big things with Andrew Luck and become our no2 receiver by the end of the year. He has already shown what he can do with Deshaun Watson, and Luck can recreate that magic with him.

• Like 2

As everyone has said, WR after TY is wide open.  I’m pulling for Tre Rogers, being he’s from Huntsville, AL.  

But for an Under guy, I’m rooting for Kris Hogan.   

I really think we could see Grover Stewart take a huge step this year. He came from a 4-3 defense and was out of position in the 3-4. He's got a lightning fast first step, especially for a man his size. He'll be part of the DL rotation, but I still think he could really shine in the new scheme.

• Like 1

These guys still on the squad?

Tomasi Laulile, DT, BYU
Skai Moore, LB, South Carolina

Would be huge to get help at either/both those positions for literally no cost (in NFL salary terms).

I only ask because I've seen their names mentioned here and as possible gems when all the draft shows were in full swing.

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

As everyone has said, WR after TY is wide open.  I’m pulling for Tre Rogers, being he’s from Huntsville, AL.  

But for an Under guy, I’m rooting for Kris Hogan.   

I thought Hogan's name might come up and can see that happening, but Tre Rogers could be a good shout as well.

• Like 1

Pierre Desir.  Looked like a solid starter last year, but dismissed by media this year...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Archer said:

Pierre Desir.  Looked like a solid starter last year, but dismissed by media this year...

I was listening to Matt Danely from Stampede Blue recently and he was saying Desir is actually more of a fit in the new scheme than Wilson, as Wilson is more of a press corner at the line of scrimmage.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out and maybe says a lot about how management view that position that Breeland is still not on our roster.

Trying to pick someone different here...I’ll go with Rakeem Nunez-Roches. Just a guess, he seems to fit the mold of quick interior lineman and has some experience.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Ebron and Braden Smith. Ebron has been getting a lot of touches thus far in practice.

Sure I saw a report that Darrell Daniels made three big plays yesterday and really caught the eye.  Didn't fancy him to make the roster but interesting he is attracting favourable glances.

• Like 2

Marlon Mack. He's under everyone's radar except for some Colts fans. I think he will do really really well this season. Mack can finally see a bit more carries without Frank Gore ahead of him. I think we see 800+ yard season from him. Hopefully more.

• Like 2

I’ll probably get a lot of heat for this but I’m going say Morrison. I think he is going to do well in this system as a run stuffer

Jordan Wilkins. I think he's getting less buzz than Mack and Hines, but Wilkins - on tape against SEC opponents - looks more like a polished, versatile inside and outside runner to me. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, IinD said:

These guys still on the squad?

Tomasi Laulile, DT, BYU
Skai Moore, LB, South Carolina

Would be huge to get help at either/both those positions for literally no cost (in NFL salary terms).

I only ask because I've seen their names mentioned here and as possible gems when all the draft shows were in full swing.

Ya they still are. I was gonna say these two as well. Laulile and Skai Moore were getting some work with the starters. Both of them have a shot to make the starting lineup 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 10:35 PM, Chucklez said:

I think Marlon will be good this year.

His first year stat line is almost identical to Jamaal Charles and I consider them to be quite similar players. 

How about Robert Turbin? Known to make tough yards. Innovative play calling could put him in situations that create mismatches or just decoy him for bigger gains. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

How about Robert Turbin? Known to make tough yards. Innovative play calling could put him in situations that create mismatches or just decoy him for bigger gains. 

Really good shout.  A few people mentioning Mack being overlooked but Turbin falls into that category more than Mack for me and he seems to be liked by the coaching staff and getting most of the reps:

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Deon cain