Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any news on Leonard or Braden Smith signing their contracts?

Yoshinator

On 6/10/2018 at 1:49 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I appreciate the concern, but I think I just need a break from football until training camp possibly. Until then, not seeing any progress from Luck, seeing injured players, and worrying about Leonard and Braden signing is going to stress me out. Nothing is going to come of it right now, so I just need to worry about it when it would make a difference, and that's later on. Unfortunately, there's a large chunk of time between now and then and I'm impatient lol.

I am with you mate, the time between week 17 and week 1 is far too long, it plays with the mind!

As others have said, I think you may be reading too much into things. 

Can I make a suggestion for distraction.....the World Cup starts in two days! haha

On 6/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

If it wasn't a contract holdout, wouldn't they of signed their contracts by now? I understand injury issues, but that shouldn't keep you from signing an NFL contract. 

It's continuing negotiations.  It's not a holdout until they stop practicing or arn't playing in games as a result.  

We all want to see it get done but it's far too early to be worrying too much about it.  They are practicing, let them and the Colts worry about negotiating their contracts.  They still have to look out for their own financial futures.  

I'll be critical if they hold out as a result, but I'm not going to worry about it until that happens.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I am with you mate, the time between week 17 and week 1 is far too long, it plays with the mind!

As others have said, I think you may be reading too much into things. 

Can I make a suggestion for distraction.....the World Cup starts in two days! haha

Yeah, that could work. My best friend and I have fanduel accounts, and we are doing soccer, trying to predict scores and split our winnings if we hit the exact score on the game. So we'll watch the Russia/Saudi Arabia game as free entertainment.

• Like 1

A little misdirection never hurts when trying to gain advantages in pro football. Never show all your cards. There's a lot of fame and fortune if one can stay in the line-up and work through the injuries. Some people will attack a known injury and who can blame them in today's game.

Just say it's a lower body injury and let them all try and figure it out. Advantage Colts.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly am not sure at this point, just frustrated that something suspicious is always going on with this team. If we're not in the news for the wrong reasons, then it's something like injuries. Just hoping for a season that I can enjoy this year. Was very excited after the draft, now I'm feeling very concerned with the number of non-participants in OTA's due to injuries (they seem to nag the players), the non-signings, and getting the run around about Luck's injury. I feel like a dog chasing his tail with no prize at the end. My optimism has turned to frustration.

Sorry for the rant...

No worries. There is no way this will be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, you responded 6 days later after Luck was throwing again. I'm pretty sure I changed my mind now.

Yeah we got some great news for a change. With Luck in the equation, assuming he is healthy and stays that way we should be in contention for a Playoff spot. I think the new change in culture with our Coaching Staff will help this team too. I also think our Defense will be better, how can it not.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we got some great news for a change. With Luck in the equation, assuming he is healthy and stays that way we should be in contention for a Playoff spot. I think the new change in culture with our Coaching Staff will help this team too. I also think our Defense will be better, how can it not.

Yeah, it helps that something went in our direction. Hopefully Luck and everyone else that was banged up will now be ready for training camp, and we can put our new plan into place. This team has a lot of potential with the new additions from the draft. Preseason will be especially fun when everyone gets a shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, it helps that something went in our direction. Hopefully Luck and everyone else that was banged up will now be ready for training camp, and we can put our new plan into place. This team has a lot of potential with the new additions from the draft. Preseason will be especially fun when everyone gets a shot.

Yep and hopefully Hooker will be ready to go too. I think Nelson will pan out, love that pick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep and hopefully Hooker will be ready to go too. I think Nelson will pan out, love that pick.

Nelson should be amazing. Hooker was just starting an amazing year with 3 early INT's before his injury. If he plays, he should be a gamechanger for us. Just have to hope as many of these players hit as possible from the draft. It's been rough the 5 years with Grigson draft-wise, and we desperately need some talent on this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, you responded 6 days later after Luck was throwing again. I'm pretty sure I changed my mind now.

What does Luck throwing have to do with the 2 draft picks signing their contracts ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

What does Luck throwing have to do with the 2 draft picks signing their contracts ? 

He doesn't, but to be fair, I didn't know which issue you were talking about. You didn't put anything in bold, you just quoted the entire paragraph, so I had to guess, and I guessed you meant Luck being healthy because of the recent news about him throwing. We've heard nothing on Leonard or Smith signing at this time.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:21 AM, indyagent17 said:

What really shocked me is a guy who didn't sign a contract is practicing at organized team activities. That's just plain stupid. He gets hurt he gets a settlement nothing near what his contract would be

That's not true.  If a player gets injured before he signs a contract the team still has negotiate in good faith and offer a contract as if the player is not injured.

And with the new rookie wage scale and that all contracts are reviewed by both the NFL and players union a team cannnot get away with juster offering a settlement.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

He doesn't, but to be fair, I didn't know which issue you were talking about. You didn't put anything in bold, you just quoted the entire paragraph, so I had to guess, and I guessed you meant Luck being healthy because of the recent news about him throwing. We've heard nothing on Leonard or Smith signing at this time.

I was referring to the thread of your topic. But yeah the thread did morph a bit and I see what you meant.

As to Leonard and Smith , I said (at least I feel)  no worries because there just is not anything big enough to fight about for players taken in the second round. So my point is , IMO , neither side would negotiate tough enough to hurt their side. Just doesn't happen anymore . Maybe a serious injury issue or a 1st rounder that has serious character issue and is a real boom or bust ?

If it wasn't a contract holdout, wouldn't they of signed their contracts by now? I understand injury issues, but that shouldn't keep you from signing an NFL contract. 

Just want to point out one additional thing to my prior list which was-

Size of the signing bonus - this can be amortized over the length of the contract, but it is essentially guaranteed money.

Timing of signing bonus payments. Teams attempt to defer portions of a large signing bonus. They want the use of the money, and to time payments made from television and other sources with the payouts.

Whether the salaries are guaranteed for skill (performance) and/or injury.

Offset language, capability to reduce salary if a player is let go and said player end up on another team roster with pay.

**************************************************************************************

That is, not all teams want to pay all guys up front so early.  There's no hurry for the team right now, and no football activity until mid/late July. Sometimes, maybe they want to let go of the funds just before the guys show up for camp.  This isn't the old days where teams had serious negotiations with their draft picks/agent(s), and sometimes they dragged on way too long until finally the guy that has never played for your team just became the highest paid player on that team as well.

• Thanks 1

That is a VAST oversimplification of how NFL contract signing process works.

The fact is, us fans know not even 0.01% of what's going on in the process.

I remember at the same time last year, fans were thinking Tarell Basham was holding out because he signed his contract last.

• 2 weeks later...

By my last look, that leaves just a few-

Calvin Ridley
Josh Allen
Roquan Smith
Baker Mayfield
Denzel Ward
Royce Freeman
Taven Bryan
Mike Hughes
Sony Michel
Saquon Barkley
Sam Darnold
Terrell Edmunds
Mike McGlinchey
Dante Pettis

And some of these might have just gotten done too and not reported yet...

On 6/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, Farns01 said:

Haven't seen anything of Leonard being signed.  Are you sure?

I haven't looked, but did see a difference between Leonard's and /Ridley's OTC contract pages-

https://overthecap.com/player/darius-leonard/6921/

https://overthecap.com/player/calvin-ridley/6911

Thought that meant the deal was done for DL, and not quite yet for CR. Time will tell.

EDIT: Still not signed...

1 hour ago, Farns01 said:

Haven't seen anything of Leonard being signed.  Are you sure?

There are topics on here confirming the signings.

After further review i stand corrected on Leonard. I misread the post about Leonard. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:12 PM, lollygagger8 said:

If he's finishing school, then that's totally cool. 

Don't be a fool, that's a good rule. 

Maybe I'll take a dip in the....ok I'm done sorry 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:18 PM, Four2itus said:

giphy.gif

I always enjoy posts like these because they are a nice diversion sprinkled into serious topics for comic relief. It's why you got read every reply in a thread cause stuff that hits ya from left field is always memorable to me.

I like material childish or not that breaks up the daily monotony. We have a couple of Dr. Seuss experts in our midst. I'll take it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

Smith Signed 2 days ago

Saw on my FB as well that Smith has signed.  

Still no one is holding out.  A hold out specifically means you arn't practicing or playing to try to get leverage on contracts.  

Joey Bosa held out.  Bell held out.  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Saw on my FB as well that Smith has signed.  

Still no one is holding out.  A hold out specifically means you arn't practicing or playing to try to get leverage on contracts.  

Joey Bosa held out.  Bell held out.  

Has Darious Leonard signed yet? Last I have heard, he has not signed. but that was like a week or two ago

11 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Has Darious Leonard signed yet? Last I have heard, he has not signed. but that was like a week or two ago

I do not believe so.  My last check had 9 first rounders still unsigned, and 5 others not taken in round 1 yet to sign as well.  Leonard was one of those 5.  Plenty of time before camp to get it done.  No pressing deadline looming short term.

• Thanks 2

On 6/28/2018 at 10:54 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I haven't looked, but did see a difference between Leonard's and /Ridley's OTC contract pages-

https://overthecap.com/player/darius-leonard/6921/

https://overthecap.com/player/calvin-ridley/6911

Thought that meant the deal was done for DL, and not quite yet for CR. Time will tell.

it looks like a 4 year 3.9 million contract, thanks for sharing 

Here is more information on Leonard situation:

https://cbs4indy.com/2018/07/05/colts-darius-leonard-one-of-nfls-few-unsigned-draft-picks/

...A source with knowledge of the situation insisted Leonard’s signing “isn’t imminent,’’ but added it “will get done before camp.’’ The Colts report July 25 to training camp at Grand Park in Westfield, and only players under contract are allowed to participate...

16 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

This kid had better be the next Gary Brackett for all of this

holdout nonsense. The longer the holdout the more I expect out 

of him.

I agree.  Sign your contract and get to work.  The article listed above doesn't really give any details about why he hasn't signed the contract yet.  I just can't figure out what he thinks he deserves.  If the Colts have already made the offer in line with what he deserves, and I would assume they have, I wouldn't offer anything else.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

it looks like a 4 year 3.9 million contract, thanks for sharing 

You left out the Bonus money, but even then it only comes to $6,410,025.00 and I think it might be a bit more when done. It's not done, he still hasn't signed yet, but no pressure as there is plenty of time before camp starts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You left out the Bonus money, but even then it only comes to $6,410,025.00 and I think it might be a bit more when done. It's not done, he still hasn't signed yet, but no pressure as there is plenty of time before camp starts.

Only 6.4 mil?  The last time I talked about 6.4 mil the word only wasn't in front of it.

28 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

This kid had better be the next Gary Brackett for all of this

holdout nonsense. The longer the holdout the more I expect out 

of him.

I hope he's much, much better than Brackett was.

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I agree.  Sign your contract and get to work.  The article listed above doesn't really give any details about why he hasn't signed the contract yet.  I just can't figure out what he thinks he deserves.  If the Colts have already made the offer in line with what he deserves, and I would assume they have, I wouldn't offer anything else.

Not having his contract signed is not preventing him from getting to work.  He can participate in activities that are going on now (if he's healthy) even though he hasn't officially signed his contract.  

Since the new CBA, these delayed contract signings are usually over off-set language and having nothing to do with dollar amounts.  As long as he's signed by July 25th...that's really all that matters.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I hope he's much, much better than Brackett was.

Not having his contract signed is not preventing him from getting to work.  He can participate in activities that are going on now (if he's healthy) even though he hasn't officially signed his contract.  

Since the new CBA, these delayed contract signings are usually over off-set language and having nothing to do with dollar amounts.  As long as he's signed by July 25th...that's really all that matters.  

Yup, pretty much it.  There are a couple minor $$ issues agents/players can haggle about too.  Things that are negotiable-

Size of the signing bonus - this can be amortized over the length of the contract, but it is essentially guaranteed money.

Timing of signing bonus payments. Teams sometimes attempt to defer portions of a large signing bonus. They want the use of the money, and to time it to payments made from television and other sources with the payouts if possible.

Whether the salaries are guaranteed for skill (performance) or injury.

And, as you mention, -

Offset language, capability to reduce payment of salary to a player if he is let go and that player ends up on another team roster with pay.

But the wage scale is set, with players getting lower salary and less guarantees as they go lower in draft slot.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Only 6.4 mil?  The last time I talked about 6.4 mil the word only wasn't in front of it.

For his profession, many feel it is. Jerome Baker says "“Not every football player is a millionaire. Just throwing it out there,” Baker said. “We’re not rich, we’re not. Once you throw in the taxes and the things you have to pay for, you’re not that rich.”

I guess when you figure it is spaced for over 4 years, and agent fees, taxes, etc... it dwindles fast.  For a Pro athlete. Then they have all the years after their career ends. 

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

For his profession, many feel it is. Jerome Baker says "“Not every football player is a millionaire. Just throwing it out there,” Baker said. “We’re not rich, we’re not. Once you throw in the taxes and the things you have to pay for, you’re not that rich.”

I guess when you figure it is spaced for over 4 years, and agent fees, taxes, etc... it dwindles fast.  For a Pro athlete. Then they have all the years after their career ends. 

I know.  We have this same conversation every year.  My typical response is something like "how long did it take you to make your first million?"  And then something like "Yes, then they have all the years after their football careers end to get an education and a job."

I get it.  Not all atheletes are rich.  And if your main concern is money football is not the best choice of atheletic professions.  It just seems like it would be pretty easy to hammer out the details, since the wage scale is set, and get it done