Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terrell Owens declines invitation to Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Mel Kiper's Hair

T.O. should have been a first ballot hall of famer without a doubt, but stunts like this just make it easier for members of the media to justify not putting him in sooner. Come on T.O. have some class and change your mind on this one.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23723959/terrell-owens-declines-invitation-pro-football-hall-fame-induction-ceremony

• Like 2

It don't surprise me at all.  Who does he really think he is punishing by disrespecting the HOF members?  Getting voted in is one of the top honors of a football player and if he can't be adult enough to accept it just shows what a selfish person he is.

• Like 1

I'm not bothered by this.  They took forever to induct him when he should've gone years ago.

Apparently he has to be grateful they considered him for the HOF despite the fact that it was his accomplishments that got him there. Why be around fake people if you don't want to?

Besides between Ray Lewis and Randy Moss's induction speeches alone nobody would really notice T.O. he knows this.

It might make the HOF ceremony a bit shorter now.

6 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

T.O. should have been a first ballot hall of famer without a doubt, but stunts like this just make it easier for members of the media to justify not putting him in sooner. Come on T.O. have some class and change your mind on this one.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23723959/terrell-owens-declines-invitation-pro-football-hall-fame-induction-ceremony

I think he will, MK.....

He's an emotional guy and I think he's making a statement about how he thinks he should have been in long ago.

He would regret not attending for the rest off his life.....and I think that will be impressed upon him in the next few weeks..

…..All who supported him all his career will be robbed of the moment if he does not attend.

I bet he will change his mind on this.

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

I'm not bothered by this.  They took forever to induct him when he should've gone years ago.

Apparently he has to be grateful they considered him for the HOF despite the fact that it was his accomplishments that got him there. Why be around fake people if you don't want to?

Besides between Ray Lewis and Randy Moss's induction speeches alone nobody would really notice T.O. he knows this.

It might make the HOF ceremony a bit shorter now.

It's not like he was the only one who had to wait to get into the HOF.  They had a back log of receivers going into the HOF so he had to wait. Now he is acting like a child over it? 

TO- "I will just show them. I will take my ball and go home".

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think he will, MK.....

He's an emotional guy and I think he's making a statement about how he thinks he should have been in long ago.

He would regret not attending for the rest off his life.....and I think that will be impressed upon him in the next few weeks..

…..All who supported him all his career will be robbed of the moment if he does not attend.

I bet he will change his mind on this.

Most all the players he played with he threw under the bus.

Great player but so full of himself no one wanted to be around him. He was always a "me me" person and most that played with him got tired of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not like he was the only one who had to wait to get into the HOF.  They had a back log of receivers going into the HOF so he had to wait. Now he is acting like a child over it? 

TO- "I will just show them. I will take my ball and go home".

Except the reason why they wanted him to wait had nothing to do with his on the field production. 

It would be one thing if they thought he was a borderline HOFer because of his talent but no they kept him out of spite.

Rather hard to take this honor seriously if the media is going to let petty grudges get in the way. I mean if it was about "character" etc then Ray Lewis and Randy Moss shouldn't be first ballot HOFers but they are.

I think T.O. is a narcissist so are the media expecting him to act grateful to them for something he earned on his own merits.

They wanted him to go away he's doing so and now they're still complaining?

Just seems rather laughable.

36 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Good!!!

I’m trying to think of an NFL player whose HoF speech I’d be less interested in....

Ray Lewis's speech will be even longer.

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

Except the reason why they wanted him to wait had nothing to do with his on the field production. 

It would be one thing if they thought he was a borderline HOFer because of his talent but no they kept him out of spite.

Rather hard to take this honor seriously if the media is going to let petty grudges get in the way. I mean if it was about "character" etc then Ray Lewis and Randy Moss shouldn't be first ballot HOFers but they are.

I think T.O. is a narcissist so are the media expecting him to act grateful to them for something he earned on his own merits.

You speak of laughable?  That is Owens and his selfish personality.

I think it was a gracious decline

"I wish to congratulate all past, current and future inductees," Owens said in the statement. "It is quite an honor to be part of such elite company. This honor is something that I will cherish forever."

• Like 3

I think it was PFT who had an interesting perspective on it.  They said that the belief is that TO has financial problems and, whereas the usual procedure would be that the team who the player's career was most linked to would pick up the tab for travel and accommodation for the player and entourage (ie Colts picking up Marvin Harrison's tab), no team would be willing to do this for TO as he burned so many bridges.  They mentioned that, although this seems small, the cost can be huge for the weekend.

They also mentioned that there is a rumour that he will do his own speech from home (which will be paid for by whoever wants the broadcast rights) in order to get some extra $$$ while sticking middle fingers up to the Hall and, effectively, other inductees as you know there will be additional focus on that speech.

As I say, all rumours, but interesting that it was written up and put in the public domain.

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You speak of laughable?  That is Owens and his selfish personality.

He's all those things this is nothing new. People wanted him to go away. He is and suddenly faux outrage is in effect?

Him not coming to the HOF ceremony isn't going to hurt anyone but himself. So what's the problem?

He didn't grovel enough for people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

He's all those things this is nothing new. People wanted him to go away. He is and suddenly faux outrage is in effect?

Him not coming to the HOF ceremony isn't going to hurt anyone but himself. So what's the problem?

He didn't grovel enough for people?

Outrage? What are you even talking about? 

TO wanted to go, but he couldn't find anyone that wanted the "honor" of giving his introductory induction speech.

"Hey Donovan, you remember all those TDs you threw to me?"  --  "Nope" -  *click*

"Hey Jeff Garcia, you remember all those TDs you threw to me?"  --  "Wrong number" - *click*

"Hey (glances at writing on hand) Andrew Dalton, you remember -"  --  "Is this TO?  Hey do you have Chad Johnsons number, I think I lost it... no wait, I just found it, I still had it listed under Ocho Cinco.  Nevermind."  -  *click*

"Hey Tony Romo, you remember -"  -- "I'm gonna cut you off right there TO, Witten already asked me to do his induction introduction in 5 years.  Sorry, not sorry."  *click*

"FINE!!!  I DIDN'T WANT TO GO ANYWAY!!!"

td7zd.jpg

On 6/7/2018 at 9:30 PM, CF4L said:

Ray Lewis's speech will be even longer.

This has nothing to do with spite.

This has to do with the fact that Owens was a lousy teammate and quickly unwanted by every team he ever played for.      He's a first ballot HOFer based on his stats.     But his selfishness and his antics count for something.     And THAT is what kept him out of the hall.      He still sees himself as bigger than the game,  more important than the game.

It's not spite for the NFL media to tell him that Owens cost himself a first ballot vote.    He's getting in on his 3rd try.     Some very, very good WR's had to wait much, much longer than that.     This is hardly a terrible slight.   Owens behavior is turning this into something bigger than he had to be.     That's why he's Terrell Owens.   He's proving that the voters made the right decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This has nothing to do with spite.

This has to do with the fact that Owens was a lousy teammate and quickly unwanted by every team he ever played for.      He's a first ballot HOFer based on his stats.     But his selfishness and his antics count for something.     And THAT is what kept him out of the hall.      He still sees himself as bigger than the game,  more important than the game.

It's not spite for the NFL media to tell him that Owens cost himself a first ballot vote.    He's getting in on his 3rd try.     Some very, very good WR's had to wait much, much longer than that.     This is hardly a terrible slight.   Owens behavior is turning this into something bigger than he had to be.     That's why he's Terrell Owens.   He's proving that the voters made the right decision.

This is not unknown to him either.  It was unveiled back then his 'disruptive' behavior was the influence in the decision to pass on first ballot.  Yes, the HOF considers the locker room part of the playing field.  Once in the parking lot and beyond, behavior is off limits as far as HOF voting.

Now new revelations have come to pass.  For those that finally voted T.O. in, it is revealed some would not have done so if they knew he would shun the ceremony.  It's too late now, he is in; he is a HOF Gold Jacket member. But T.O. possibly could have had an even longer wait.  He is fortunate in certain ways.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hall-of-fame-voter-i-wouldnt-have-voted-for-terrell-owens-if-i-knew-he-wasnt-going-to-show-up/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've run out of popcorn and it's only June. 

terrell-owens-popcorn.jpg

I'd better get more popcorn ready!  The drama is just beginning!

:popcorn:

"This is better than Desperate Housewives."

1aIMY.jpg

I can't wait to see the not-so-subtle jabs at TO when everyone else gives their acceptance speech...

:lurk:

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is not unknown to him either.  It was unveiled back then his 'disruptive' behavior was the influence in the decision to pass on first ballot.  Yes, the HOF considers the locker room part of the playing field.  Once in the parking lot and beyond, behavior is off limits as far as HOF voting.

Now new revelations have come to pass.  For those that finally voted T.O. in, it is revealed some would not have done so if they knew he would shun the ceremony.  It's too late now, he is in; he is a HOF Gold Jacket member. But T.O. possibly could have had an even longer wait.  He is fortunate in certain ways.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hall-of-fame-voter-i-wouldnt-have-voted-for-terrell-owens-if-i-knew-he-wasnt-going-to-show-up/

They just proved him right its about personal grudges not actual ability that kills the credibility above all else.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Outrage? What are you even talking about? 

People acting disappointed that he isn't going to his own HOF induction. How if they knew he would snub the process they wouldn't have let him in?  Why does it matter? He's in everything else is just fluff.

I just watched the movie I Tonya and it gave me some perspective on people who don't really fit into the sport.  Whether or not she was part of the attack on Nancy Kerrigan, the sport never recognized her the way they should have before that.  She wasn't the image that they wanted for the sport so, they gave her lower scores than they should have.

IMO, the punishment of her accomplices (who actually executed the attack) was far less than what she got. 

TO is similar.  Nobody liked him.  Whether it was deserved or not, I honestly think it's fine for him to not pretend otherwise. Hearing that they wouldn't have voted him in had they known he wouldn't show just reinforces that for me.

He didn't fit in, he still doesn't fit in.  I think loving to hate him is just as unbecoming as his antics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

They just proved him right its about personal grudges not actual ability that kills the credibility above all else.

"The Face of the...   Franchise   ... League ... Sport..." what have you.

There is emotion at play.  From players to fans to media. Football is not just a numbers game, thus more than numbers are required to get into an elite club, the HOF. Some voters voiced their emotional opinion/response ot T.O.'s snub.  But we cannot assume all of them feel that way.

Why were so many NFL teams excited to jettison a HOF player off their roster? Why did he get released form an IFL team, and lose his ownership stake?

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/5/29/3051163/terrell-owens-cut-allen-wranglershttps://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/5/29/3051163/terrell-owens-cut-allen-wranglers

Harry Carson was snubbed for 5 years, demanded his name be taken off the ballot (it couldn't, no procedure to do so) and said he knows he cut his throat doing so (evidently not with a majority of the voters, but possibly some).

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/sports/football/carson-tells-hall-thanks-but-no-thanks.html

He was voted in, changed his mind and went to his enshrinement.  Maybe T.O will have a change of heart down the road.

• Thanks 1