Sign in to follow this  
DaveA1102

Why is Hankins still on the market?

I am actually quite amazed that Hankins is still without a team a full week into June. 

I thought it may be that teams were waiting until after the draft, or even the start of OTA's to get a look at what they have, but he is still out there after a solid (potentially even better than solid) year with us.

The "not a scheme fit" discussion from within the building didn't really fly with me as he seemed like a decent player to have even just to have a quality run stuffer at a price that wasn't too bad and on a team with no cap issues.  Even just to have him for another year and then bring in a replacement in next years draft that more suited the team.

The fact he was released by NYG last year and then us, and remains unsigned......am I missing something?

giphy.gif

I would say right now it is one of two things. 1) He wants too much money or 2) teams are wanting to check out the players they drafted first before making any additional signings. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I would say right now it is one of two things. 1) He wants too much money or 2) teams are wanting to check out the players they drafted first before making any additional signings. 

I'd say partly that....plus I think he is a one dimensional player (run stopper) in a league that really really values disruption at the line of scrimmage and pass rush...now even from interior lineman over anything else. Which then kinda goes to part 1....he probably still values himself too much. He had a hard time signing last year until we swooped in late and got him. He isn't signing for 10 million dollars....first off he isn't worth that...second off the teams with money are now far far far fewer.....they already spent most of it....he is getting a late start at free agency and the market is pretty well dried up. He will have to accept less.

• Like 1

One....   money has mostly dried up...

Two....   if he can make it happen, Hankins would PREFER to play in a 3-4 defense.    The scheme fit issue was REAL. 

If we were willing to pay him big money to play in a 3-4, why wouldn't we be willing to pay him good money to play in a 4-3? 

Hankins is hoping some team suffers an injury and raises their offer.   And he may get his wish.   The worst that happens for him is he misses the off-season and finds a team in August.

probably the same reason dez is still unemployed

20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

probably the same reason dez is still unemployed

I don't quite think that's true.

Dez is a diva that has shown major regression concerns.

Last year was a good season for Hankins both on and off the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I don't quite think that's true.

Dez is a diva that has shown major regression concerns.

Last year was a good season for Hankins both on and off the field.

that whole cowboys offense was out of sync not just dez. Dak was not playing like his rookie season

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

that whole cowboys offense was out of sync not just dez. Dak was not playing like his rookie season

The last year Dez had 1,000 receiving yards was 2014.

He's gone three straight years under 1,000 yards.    He's NOT the Dez Bryant you remember.  He didn't struggle last year because the team did.    He has struggled three straight years and everyone in the NFL knows it.    The only person who doesn't know it is Dez Bryant.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The last year Dez had 1,000 receiving yards was 2014.

He's gone three straight years under 1,000 yards.    He's NOT the Dez Bryant you remember.  He didn't struggle last year because the team did.    He has struggled three straight years and everyone in the NFL knows it.    The only person who doesn't know it is Dez Bryant.

dez missed like 6 games in 2016, but he was beasting in the end of the year

2015 Romo got hurt in like the first or second game and they had brandon weeden as the QB

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

2015 Romo got hurt in like the first or second game and they had brandon weeden as the QB

You think Dallas doesn't know all this?

They know all that and they cut him anyway.      Didn't even give him a chance to offer to take a paycut....    which Dez says he wouldn't take if he had been asked.

Dallas has decided that Dez was no longer worth the headaches that he brings....   he went from too much upside and not enough downside to the opposite....    too much downside and not enough upside.

And then he went and turned down 3/21 from a good organization like Baltimore.     That tells the rest of the NFL that he wants more.      Who is offering more now?

Dez brought this on himself...

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They know all that and they cut him anyway.      Didn't even give him a chance to offer to take a paycut....    which Dez says he wouldn't take if he had been asked.

Dallas has decided that Dez was no longer worth the headaches that he brings....   he went from too much upside and not enough downside to the opposite....    too much downside and not enough upside.

And then he went and turned down 3/21 from a good organization like Baltimore.     That tells the rest of the NFL that he wants more.      Who is offering more now?

we don't know the whole story between dez and the cowboys and the way Dak reacted, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the driving force behind it. as for the ravens, dez took a chance and bet on himself and he lost.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dez still thinks he is good enough to pick his team and they'll offer him the money he wants (what he tried with NYG).  The problem is that he's no longer that good, and NO team is offering him the money he wants.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

we don't know the whole story between dez and the cowboys and the way Dak reacted, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the driving force behind it. as for the ravens, dez took a chance and bet on himself and he lost.

For the life of me, unless you're related to Dez, I don't know why you're arguing this?

Even if Dak said to get rid of him,  that's a BAD look for Dez.    The Cowboys have not been happy with him for a number of years.

And if he was so good, why hasn't any team offered what he wants?

The entire NFL is sitting on their wallets.   They're waiting for Dez to come back to reality.   The Giants, Redskibs and Eagles play Dez twice a year.  Dez would reportedly like to sign with one of them so he can burn the Cowboys.   Those teams know Dez and no one wants him.  

Not yet anyway.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the life of me, unless you're related to Dez, I don't know why you're arguing this?

Even if Dak said to get rid of him,  that's a BAD look for Dez.    The Cowboys have not been happy with him for a number of years.

And if he was so good, why hasn't any team offered what he wants?

The entire NFL is sitting on their wallets.   They're waiting for Dez to come back to reality.   The Giants, Redskibs and Eagles play Dez twice a year.  Dez would reportedly like to sign with one of them so he can burn the Cowboys.   Those teams know Dez and no one wants him.  

Not yet anyway.

im just looking at it from a different point. I think as you mentioned teams are sitting on their wallets because they want dez to lower his value and since there is no bidding war for him, dez doesn't have much choice. unless a top wr gets hurt, dez needs to come to grips with the situation