Sign in to follow this  
DaveA1102

Why is Hankins still on the market?

Recommended Posts

I am actually quite amazed that Hankins is still without a team a full week into June. 

 

I thought it may be that teams were waiting until after the draft, or even the start of OTA's to get a look at what they have, but he is still out there after a solid (potentially even better than solid) year with us.

 

The "not a scheme fit" discussion from within the building didn't really fly with me as he seemed like a decent player to have even just to have a quality run stuffer at a price that wasn't too bad and on a team with no cap issues.  Even just to have him for another year and then bring in a replacement in next years draft that more suited the team.

 

The fact he was released by NYG last year and then us, and remains unsigned......am I missing something?

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say right now it is one of two things. 1) He wants too much money or 2) teams are wanting to check out the players they drafted first before making any additional signings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I would say right now it is one of two things. 1) He wants too much money or 2) teams are wanting to check out the players they drafted first before making any additional signings. 

I'd say partly that....plus I think he is a one dimensional player (run stopper) in a league that really really values disruption at the line of scrimmage and pass rush...now even from interior lineman over anything else. Which then kinda goes to part 1....he probably still values himself too much. He had a hard time signing last year until we swooped in late and got him. He isn't signing for 10 million dollars....first off he isn't worth that...second off the teams with money are now far far far fewer.....they already spent most of it....he is getting a late start at free agency and the market is pretty well dried up. He will have to accept less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One....   money has mostly dried up...

 

Two....   if he can make it happen, Hankins would PREFER to play in a 3-4 defense.    The scheme fit issue was REAL. 

 

If we were willing to pay him big money to play in a 3-4, why wouldn't we be willing to pay him good money to play in a 4-3? 

 

Hankins is hoping some team suffers an injury and raises their offer.   And he may get his wish.   The worst that happens for him is he misses the off-season and finds a team in August.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

probably the same reason dez is still unemployed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

probably the same reason dez is still unemployed

I don't quite think that's true.

 

Dez is a diva that has shown major regression concerns.

 

Last year was a good season for Hankins both on and off the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I don't quite think that's true.

 

Dez is a diva that has shown major regression concerns.

 

Last year was a good season for Hankins both on and off the field.

 

that whole cowboys offense was out of sync not just dez. Dak was not playing like his rookie season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

that whole cowboys offense was out of sync not just dez. Dak was not playing like his rookie season

The last year Dez had 1,000 receiving yards was 2014.

 

He's gone three straight years under 1,000 yards.    He's NOT the Dez Bryant you remember.  He didn't struggle last year because the team did.    He has struggled three straight years and everyone in the NFL knows it.    The only person who doesn't know it is Dez Bryant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The last year Dez had 1,000 receiving yards was 2014.

 

He's gone three straight years under 1,000 yards.    He's NOT the Dez Bryant you remember.  He didn't struggle last year because the team did.    He has struggled three straight years and everyone in the NFL knows it.    The only person who doesn't know it is Dez Bryant.

 

 

dez missed like 6 games in 2016, but he was beasting in the end of the year

2015 Romo got hurt in like the first or second game and they had brandon weeden as the QB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

 

dez missed like 6 games in 2016, but he was beasting in the end of the year

2015 Romo got hurt in like the first or second game and they had brandon weeden as the QB

 

You think Dallas doesn't know all this?

 

They know all that and they cut him anyway.      Didn't even give him a chance to offer to take a paycut....    which Dez says he wouldn't take if he had been asked.

 

Dallas has decided that Dez was no longer worth the headaches that he brings....   he went from too much upside and not enough downside to the opposite....    too much downside and not enough upside.

 

And then he went and turned down 3/21 from a good organization like Baltimore.     That tells the rest of the NFL that he wants more.      Who is offering more now?

 

Dez brought this on himself...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You think Dallas doesn't know all this?

 

They know all that and they cut him anyway.      Didn't even give him a chance to offer to take a paycut....    which Dez says he wouldn't take if he had been asked.

 

Dallas has decided that Dez was no longer worth the headaches that he brings....   he went from too much upside and not enough downside to the opposite....    too much downside and not enough upside.

 

And then he went and turned down 3/21 from a good organization like Baltimore.     That tells the rest of the NFL that he wants more.      Who is offering more now?

 

Dez brought this on himself...

 

 

we don't know the whole story between dez and the cowboys and the way Dak reacted, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the driving force behind it. as for the ravens, dez took a chance and bet on himself and he lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

 

dez missed like 6 games in 2016, but he was beasting in the end of the year

2015 Romo got hurt in like the first or second game and they had brandon weeden as the QB

 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You think Dallas doesn't know all this?

 

They know all that and they cut him anyway.      Didn't even give him a chance to offer to take a paycut....    which Dez says he wouldn't take if he had been asked.

 

Dallas has decided that Dez was no longer worth the headaches that he brings....   he went from too much upside and not enough downside to the opposite....    too much downside and not enough upside.

 

And then he went and turned down 3/21 from a good organization like Baltimore.     That tells the rest of the NFL that he wants more.      Who is offering more now?

 

Dez brought this on himself...

 

 

Dez still thinks he is good enough to pick his team and they'll offer him the money he wants (what he tried with NYG).  The problem is that he's no longer that good, and NO team is offering him the money he wants.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

we don't know the whole story between dez and the cowboys and the way Dak reacted, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the driving force behind it. as for the ravens, dez took a chance and bet on himself and he lost.

For the life of me, unless you're related to Dez, I don't know why you're arguing this?

 

Even if Dak said to get rid of him,  that's a BAD look for Dez.    The Cowboys have not been happy with him for a number of years.

 

And if he was so good, why hasn't any team offered what he wants?

 

The entire NFL is sitting on their wallets.   They're waiting for Dez to come back to reality.   The Giants, Redskibs and Eagles play Dez twice a year.  Dez would reportedly like to sign with one of them so he can burn the Cowboys.   Those teams know Dez and no one wants him.  

 

Not yet anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the life of me, unless you're related to Dez, I don't know why you're arguing this?

 

Even if Dak said to get rid of him,  that's a BAD look for Dez.    The Cowboys have not been happy with him for a number of years.

 

And if he was so good, why hasn't any team offered what he wants?

 

The entire NFL is sitting on their wallets.   They're waiting for Dez to come back to reality.   The Giants, Redskibs and Eagles play Dez twice a year.  Dez would reportedly like to sign with one of them so he can burn the Cowboys.   Those teams know Dez and no one wants him.  

 

Not yet anyway.

 

 

im just looking at it from a different point. I think as you mentioned teams are sitting on their wallets because they want dez to lower his value and since there is no bidding war for him, dez doesn't have much choice. unless a top wr gets hurt, dez needs to come to grips with the situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Cubs game time pushed back to 850pm due to Rain Delay. Brewers and Cards are currently 0-0 in the Bottom of the 1st. I would like to see the Cards win 2 of 3, that would give the Brewers 2 more losses and still give us breathing room from the Cards giving them 1 more loss.
    • I take it as a confidence that the new staff will help the offense be more effective, especially late in games. Not necessarily a knock against Pagano, but definitely a knock on the offensive staff.   Reich still has a lot to prove. I'm hopeful, but we'll see what he does.
    • How would you know this? Serious question not being sarcastic.
    • That is good news.  Recovery now much shorter/easier.
    • I don't think you'll be proven wrong Monday, or at any point this year. I think the defense will be pretty ragged this season, unless a really good pass rush and a 3 tech emerge.   As for the defense in the first preseason game, I disliked some of the alignments. A few times outside corners were 10+ yards off the line of scrimmage, which I hate. I hope we don't see much more of that, especially outside of 3rd and long. But the players in the secondary won't get many chances to make plays unless the front can get stops on early downs and get pressure in passing situations.    I don't have a problem with the scheme. It's not my favorite; I'd prefer a man based coverage philosophy, but zone has it's advantages. On the field, it's more effective at defending mobile QBs; for team building, it's less expensive. The key -- as it is with almost everything -- will be good drafting and good player development. Find good players, and help them succeed. If they don't do one or both of those well, it doesn't matter what scheme they run. But I don't think the scheme itself is flawed. It's had plenty of success, even in the modern NFL.
  • Members